A "jeaneology"!!!

sgttami

I can't believe all the posts on the debates of wearing jeans on cruises. (dining room)

First, I own about three pair of ratty jeans that I only wear

A) around the house

B) around the yard

C) run to the bank (drive through) or a quick convenience store stop.

I just can't believe that people actually pack jeans for cruises, let alone think of wearing them to dinner. Other than Alaska, when the now ratty jeans were new I have never taken a pair on vacation. NEVER!

What is it with jeans?? It's a rare breed that looks good in them..(skinny guys with a nice butt!!)

Why all the hoopla..."can I wear jeans to dinner on a cruise?"

In a million years, I wouldn't wear jeans to dinner on a cruise OR dinner on land trips...they are hot, dark and sweaty. So why do people want to wear them on cruises in the Caribbean and why do they fight back when it's stated that jeans aren't proper attire???

Just curious.....no flames!!

Well, as a younger adult (21) I'm a jean wearer almost every day. I don't ahve ratty jeans, I keep them quite nice. My mother (50) also wears alot of jeans that are nicer, although we don't wear them to dinners on cruises simply because we enjoy dressing up. But, I have no problem with others wearing them because it's their own decision. Most people who do that at dinner have nice jeans with no holes or fraying.

Also, sometimes I get chilly at night, indoors, on the caribbean trips because they crank up the ac. I've been known to even put on a sweater.

sgttami.....maybe your feelings toward jeans have a lot to do because of where you live :) .

Jeans are everyday wear in our part of the world. People wear them to weddings, funerals, church, school, on dates, into resturants, etc., etc.. We have work jeans, mess around jeans, dress jeans and whatever type of jeans you want to have. It's a natural question for those of us who live in them everyday. We wear them in the summer and I promise you that it's hotter in Texas than in New York and it doesn't seem to bother us :D

I have to agree. I think a lot of people look good in jeans. In fact, some people look smoking hot in jeans--men and women. I will have one pair with me just in case I need them. They are not ratty. Most people don't wear ratty jeans unless they are-1.) sold with holes or 2.) someone is poor. Otherwise, jeans are the standard and are here to stay. I see no reason why the OP would even say such nonsense. Millions of people look good in jeans...millions of people don't. Just for temperature reasons, I have no desire to wear jeans on a cruise. I would prefer to wear warm weather clothing. Totally bizarre post, if you ask me. :confused:

I can't believe all the posts on the debates of wearing jeans on cruises. (dining room)

A) around the house

B) around the yard

I just can't believe that people actually pack jeans for cruises, let alone think of wearing them to dinner. Other than Alaska, when the now ratty jeans were new I have never taken a pair on vacation. NEVER!

What is it with jeans?? It's a rare breed that looks good in them..(skinny guys with a nice butt!!)

In a million years, I wouldn't wear jeans to dinner on a cruise OR dinner on land trips...they are hot, dark and sweaty. So why do people want to wear them on cruises in the Caribbean and why do they fight back when it's stated that jeans aren't proper attire???

Hey, Pam, what prompted this????

Are you just trying to rattle the cage?

No one has talked about jeans in the dining room in DAYS! ;)

snip snip

snip snip

Ok, the only thing is, you contradict yourself here. You say you're just curious but you say you'd NE-HE-EVER wear jeans on a cruise, like someone who did wear jeans was some low form of life. You make judgements and add extra question marks and then claim that most people don't look good in jeans. There's nothing wrong with asking or stating your opinion, but from where I'm standing, it looks like you're sending out invitations for a Royal Flame Fest! :eek:

A) around the house

B) around the yard

So why all the hoopla about why people wear jeans? To each his own. RCI allows them, some people wear them, who cares. End of story unless you've got some sort of ax to grind.

If you don't like to wear them to dinner then do like I do, don't wear them. However, if others want to wear them on an RCI ship to the main dining room and RCI doesn't mind, then why should I or anyone else mind? If it bothers you so much, then the thing to do is find a cruise line that does not allow jeans in the dining room, find another type of vacation like an all inclusive resort that does not allow jeans at dinner or wear blinders into the dining room when sailing RCI.

You've been around long enough to know that all this thread will do is start a class war between those that wear jeans and those the don't. In the end, it does not matter what opinion anyone holds on the subject. Only what RCI allows.

So what is your motivation behind this thread other than to see how long it will take to get pulled?

I think a big problem with many traditionalists like myself is that if a dress code allowed jeans, that would open the door not only to chic, stylish jeans (not neccessarily bad), but also baggy, oversized jeans, acid washed jeans, jeans with holes and tears (intentionally or not), or jeans that look like they just came out of the mud. Nice jeans, as advocated by so many, are really fine, but unfortunately the dress code can't say "nice jeans only," or "stylish jeans only." That's impossible to define and can be interpeted a million ways. While I really don't have a problem with a person wearing a nice pair of well-fitting, stylish jeans, allowing jeans means you are allowing all types and not just the nice ones, unless you want the fashion police at the door like a club (I don't think any of us want that). That is why I am still anti-jeans, regardless of the night's dress code.

I wouldn't dream of going on any vacation without at least one pair of jeans. I look a heck of a lot better in jeans than in shorts. Even here in South Florida I wear jeans year round and rarely wear shorts.

I do like dressing up for dinner on a ship but have worn a pair of jeans at least once that I can remember in the dining room. Yes, I sure did. Night one on the Majesty of the Seas on May 12, 2006. They were white jeans.

In August of 2005 our waiter on the Majesty of the Seas told us that we could wear shorts to the dining room on the last night if we wanted to. So much for rules. ;)

There's no "allowed" or "not allowed" - there are recommendations.

My jeans are designer

My jeans are dressy

My jeans look pretty darn good...

I wore my nicely pressed jeans with a very stylish dressy top and a pair of heels to to the dining room. Not only did I look ok...I felt okay.

I live in South Florida and everyone here wears jeans all the time - no problem with the heat.

Enough of this..

Wear them...don't wear them...now go worry about something important.

After 12 cruises, I finally packed and wore jeans on my last cruise out of LA.........

If you cruise even out of Galveston or LA at certain times of the year.......it can be downright cold that first sea day..........

So now I always pack a couple of pairs of jeans..................

But I have my own rule...........no jeans after 5pm..........:)

I agree, why all the hoopla? Of course you can wear jeans to the dining room on RCI. Many people do and they are not in violation of any suggested dress code put out by RCI. It appears that the only dress code they are in violation of, is the one dreamed up by the self appointed dress code gurus on this message board.

It's a rare breed that looks good in them..(skinny guys with a nice butt!!)

Very sexist.

....why do they fight back when it's stated that jeans aren't proper attire???

Probably for the same reason people like you fight back when they say they are apppropriate attire.

Threeofus. Jeans do a nice job of keeping that hot sun off of our legs, too. :)

Maybe year round jean wear is a S. FL thing. I think the northerners have to cover up in warm clothing so much that they feel compelled to put on a pair of shorts as soon as their temps go up into the 60s. On the other hand, we can wear a pair of shorts any ol' day of the year.

I think jeans have gotten a bad rap. Jeans have come a long way since the country-western Wrangler look. I don't wear jeans in the dining room because they ask you not to. But, we still pack them for night. Besides, my wife looks H-O-T in jeans and I love when she wears them. As for me, the jeans I throw on at night are new and stylish.

And sgttami, I work out!

...whining about all the posts, and starts yet another one:rolleyes: , Freud had a lot to say about that...:eek:

I travel professionally, airports, ships, airplanes are ALL airconditioned and very comfortable in jeans, they provide excellent protection against the sun and from physical contact. They last long, are super comfortable, and look good - you are entitled to your opinion, but as you can see, you are in a minority.

...can't wait for your booze smuggling thread:rolleyes:

Threeofus. Jeans do a nice job of keeping that hot sun off of our legs, too. :)

Maybe year round jean wear is a S. FL thing. I think the northerners have to cover up in warm clothing so much that they feel compelled to put on a pair of shorts as soon as their temps go up into the 60s. On the other hand, we can wear a pair of shorts any ol' day of the year.

I agree...when you go out to a restaurant you can always spot a tourist or a snowbird....summer clothes in January. I don't blame them..they're on vacation. We probably did the same thing many years ago when we were just visiting. Nice to meet you!

As said by Anna Wintour (Editor in Chief of Vogue Magazine) Jeans can be just as fashionable as a couture gown. I guess it all depends on where you live and what century you are living in. Jeans are an everyday part of life in Los Angeles and we happen to be one of the most fashionable cities. We eat at places like Mortons in Los Angeles, and the only people NOT wearing jeans are the tourists. You can feel the way you want, but you are being extremely naive.

There's no "allowed" or "not allowed" - there are recommendations.

My jeans are designer

My jeans are dressy

My jeans look pretty darn good...

I wore my nicely pressed jeans with a very stylish dressy top and a pair of heels to to the dining room. Not only did I look ok...I felt okay.

I live in South Florida and everyone here wears jeans all the time - no problem with the heat.

Enough of this..

Wear them...don't wear them...now go worry about something important.

Totally agree! Depending on the brand of jeans, they can cost anywhere from $200+.

I wouldn't be offended if I saw someone wearing jeans in the dining room if they were darker in colour, fitted and worn with a nice pair heels/wedges. To each his/her own.

I agree...when you go out to a restaurant you can always spot a tourist or a snowbird....summer clothes in January. I don't blame them..they're on vacation. We probably did the same thing many years ago when we were just visiting. Nice to meet you!

Or what about the way to spot a local in winter? We all break out the winter jackets when a cold front comes through - when the temps plummet into the upper 60s. :D

Funny thing though, I still wear my sandals even when I wear my jacket or a sweater.

I don't wear jeans in the dining room because they ask you not to.

Paul, Did you know they DON'T ask you to not wear jeans in the dining room? I used to believe that, too, because I read it here. But if you go to the RCI site and read the suggested dress code, there is no mention of jeans. In fact when they mention that slacks (or is it pants) are suggested for women on other than formal nights, I take that to mean that jeans are permitted since they qualify as being slacks or pants to me.

However they word it, it never mentions the word jeans. Somewhere along the way the myth of no jeans being permitted in the dining room was perpetuated at this forum.

Here is the current wording for casual nights which are most nights in the dining room - Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women.

They use the word pants. When I wear jeans I am wearing pants. I still don't wear jeans in the dining room the vast majority of the time if I ever did wear them more than the one time I remember.

Paul, Did you know they DON'T ask you to not wear jeans in the dining room? I used to believe that, too, because I read it here. But if you go to the RCI site and read the suggested dress code, there is no mention of jeans. In fact when they mention that slacks (or is it pants) are suggested for women on other than formal nights, I take that to mean that jeans are permitted since they qualify as being slacks or pants to me.

However they word it, it never mentions the word jeans. Somewhere along the way the myth of no jeans being permitted in the dining room was perpetuated at this forum.

Here is the current wording for casual nights which are most nights in the dining room - Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women.

They use the word pants. When I wear jeans I am wearing pants. I still don't wear jeans in the dining room the vast majority of the time if I ever did wear them more than the one time I remember.

At one point in time, I'm sure that first class passenger were not premitted to wear jeans in the dining room. But that's probably back when there were seperate dining areas for people in first class, second class and stearage (third class) and when ships were called ocean liners, not cruise ships.

On today's modern cruise ship vacation/holiday, they really don't care much about what you wear into the dining room. A few things are prohibitied like bathing suits but, I have seen a few dresses enter the dining room that didn't have a lot more material than some bathing suits I've seen. :D

Paul, Did you know they DON'T ask you to not wear jeans in the dining room?

That's what I get for sticking with the huddled masses. ;) I probably still won't do it because, like farting in church, it's not prohibited. But some people tend to frown on it.

Archived