Dumbest thing you ever brought on a cruise?

MauiMermaid

I thought I went through my purse, suitcases, pockets, etc thoroughly when I was packing so I wouldn't bring along anything I wouldn't need (and that I might have problems with as carry-on). Got to the Oosterdam, opened the outside zipper of my purse to put my room card in -- and realized I had our Newfoundland dog's big red toothbrush with me. SIGH.

MM

I thought I went through my purse, suitcases, pockets, etc thoroughly when I was packing so I wouldn't bring along anything I wouldn't need (and that I might have problems with as carry-on). Got to the Oosterdam, opened the outside zipper of my purse to put my room card in -- and realized I had our Newfoundland dog's big red toothbrush with me. SIGH.

MM

Oh, I don't think I could top that if I tried. On the reverse, some time back I had cleaned out my purse for a trip, taking only the essentials. When I got back I evidently forgot to reload a few things, like my proof of car insurance. Wouldn't you know it, got caught in the same traffic check (while out of state) twice in one day and they wanted to ticket me twice!:eek:

More shoes than days on a cruise and it was a 2 week cruise!

I have told this story before but for those that did not read it, I shall repeat it. DH always repacks DD and me. While packing for the cruise following the one above, DH tossed out all the shoes so all I had were the Teva flip-flops I was wearing. Finding size 11's in a port, any port, is not possible. So while I dressed for formal nights my feet were quite casual. This was the cure for taking too many shoes on a cruise.

One thing I guess we should bring on a cruise is the registration/ins card from the vehicle if we leave it someplace other than our house. Here at PDX there was a car break-in at airport parking, where they got the address of the vacationers' house from the papers in the glove box. They also used the garage door opener to let themselves in.

MM

Hi Maui Mermaid: Yikes, I hadn't thought of car break-ins:eek: while on a cruise. For our holiday Hawaiian trip we left the car at a hotel in San Diego with the registration, insurance paperwork, garage door opener, etc. Won't do THAT again!

Christy

I just read on another thread here that passengers on a world cruise had their La Z Boy recliner shipped to the ship and put in their stateroom.

Not necessarily dumb, but certainly unusual.

More shoes than days on a cruise and it was a 2 week cruise!

I have told this story before but for those that did not read it, I shall repeat it. DH always repacks DD and me. While packing for the cruise following the one above, DH tossed out all the shoes so all I had were the Teva flip-flops I was wearing. Finding size 11's in a port, any port, is not possible. So while I dressed for formal nights my feet were quite casual. This was the cure for taking too many shoes on a cruise.

and here I was sitting here thinking will I say it or not!

My husband :D

I brought my winter parka on our very first cruise. It was December and nearly snowing when we left home - I had worn it to the airport not thinking about the fact it would be with me for the entire trip! It wasnot an attractive coat, either...a big, thick BRIGHT RED monstrosity with a huge fur-trimmed hood. It was so cumbersome that I could not fit it into my already-overstuffed suitcase so there I was lugging it through the embarkation line in San Pedro and all around the Lido while we waited for the ok to head to our cabins. I tried to make my hubby carry it for me but even he is not *that* chivalrous. Other passengers were looking at me like I was NUTS!

MM

OK MauiMernmaid, I really need to know......How well did it work ????.................................................................................:D

It's not dumb, but unusual ... Hawaiian leis from our wedding. They were fresh, brought over from the islands by my new uncle- and aunt-in-law, and we wanted to enjoy them on our honeymoon cruise ... so we brought them along! We'd hoped they'd dry attractively and we could keep them, but that didn't happen. Ah well, still had them for that whole honeymoon week. :D

Last May, I packed my black dress shoes.

On the first formal night I realized I had one wing-tip and one loafer...both left foot.

I ended up wearing my tennis shoes with my tux.

Oddly enough...I received several compliments on my fashion sense...???

DH always repacks DD and me. While packing for the cruise following the one above, DH tossed out all the shoes so all I had were the Teva flip-flops I was wearing. Finding size 11's in a port, any port, is not possible. So while I dressed for formal nights my feet were quite casual. This was the cure for taking too many shoes on a cruise.

Your DH did this to Wife and Daughter? Your note sounds like he is still among the living....amazing!

You don't mention his penance or how long he remained in the dog house. He must be one very special, very lucky guy indeed.

Last May, I packed my black dress shoes.

On the first formal night I realized I had one wing-tip and one loafer...both left foot.

I ended up wearing my tennis shoes with my tux.

Oddly enough...I received several compliments on my fashion sense...???

Love it.

Your DH did this to Wife and Daughter? Your note sounds like he is still among the living....amazing!

You don't mention his penance or how long he remained in the dog house. He must be one very special, very lucky guy indeed.

We have been married a long, long time and I think the whole incident quickly became more humorous, than anything else. Afterall, there was absolutely nothing I could do about it, once onboard. It cured me of packing too many shoes and now I always check to make sure DH did not decide to lighten the load.

Archived