Man Overboard, Fear for Children??

Karried

Why someone would want to bring young children (or any age under 21 for that matter) on a cruise I don't understand.

I can't imagine going on a vacation without my ENTIRE family. The shore, the mountains, a cruise, etc.

I watch others around me bring their kids with them anxiously awaiting sending them to the "camp". This, too, I don't understand. My daughter's been on 4 cruises with us, and she never is there without us. She never set foot in one of these "camps". Nothing brightens my day more than watching her have no less than a good time. On land or sea.

I do not agree with people who yank their kids out of school for a week to cruise, that is irresponsible in my opinion to miss out on school to go on a vacation.

I happen to be one of those people that take their children out of school to vacation. Both my children and A students. And this is the only reason why I have done it. If they were C or D students, they wouldn't be taken out.

Before we go on vacation, they get their school work for the week they are missing and they do their school work while we are away. Mind you, there have been vacations that were during summer vacations or school breaks. But that was when they were alot younger. And I hated it. Too many people with screaming and obnoxious children and adults. Unfortuately, I have to cruise in August this year because my daughter is going to college in Sept. If that wasn't the case, I would have "yanked" them out again.

I agree with you Littlegoo, yanking your kids out of school for vacation is sending them a message that school is not a priority, but vacation is. My daughter was an A student (went to college on scholarship) and my son is an A student also. I never dreamed of yanking them out of school for a vacation. Sometimes it was inconvenient, and more expensive to go on vacation during school break, but I always stressed to my kids that at this point in their life, SCHOOL is priority.

VentureMan, I dont know how you can think 'why would someone want to take anyone under 21 on a cruise'. My son is 14, we are cruising for the first time in a few weeks and I know we will have a wonderul time. He is old enough to really enjoy himself and will get to experience other foods and cultures.

If you are afraid that your kids would climb or otherwise try to overcome the safety barriers, then perhaps they need to stay home.

Exactly!

Jeleja,

Sounds like you are bringing your children to spend time vacationing with them. I don't find fault with this. SOunds like you will supervise, share, and enjoy your children. My point is that cruises are geared toward the 21 ad over croud (shows, gambling, drinking). When you bring children, the trip is about keeping them happy. If they're not happy, you won't be.

But I don't see dropping (dumping) off my children at a camp or getting a baby sitter, or letting my children run wild while I try to get a little R&R for myself. I also don't want the responsiblity to have my children check in with me, or to have to check in with my children. If a child gets sick, has to go to bed early, gets bored, etc., you have to deal with that.

I also don't see pulling my children out of school, regardless of grades. Not only are you sending the wrong message, you are denying money (sorely needed) to the schools as they receive federal funds based on daily attendence. I find it interesting that folks who yank their children out of school to cruise with them don't want to cruise during the summer when the 'bratty' kids cruise.

I take 2 week to 3 week vacations every year with my children. But I still don't see cruising geared as a vacation for children.

This thread has gotten off track - but I will put my 2 cents in...

I love to go on a cruise when there is ALOT LESS kids, I do think that the bars, gambling, shows, and disco's are really not for kids. It is like Las Vegas, what in the heck are parents thinking about, when they bring their children to Las Vegas????? I think it is selfish, I think the parents want to go, and of course the kids have to come. Give your kids the option of what they want to do, maybe it is to go hiking, or Disney Land/World, or the beach, or Washington D.C. to experience the history of our country. I think that cruising should have a age limit of 16 or over. This of course is my humble opinion.

Carry on...

I appreciate all the comments about the safety of the railings.

Ventureman - not to start another debate here but I'll just state my bottom line, I love my kids. We were married five years before kids and traveled extensively. Now we are a family and my husband and I only have a few more years in which to do fun family activities and we plan on taking full advantage of spending vacations with them while they still have fun with us and want to hang out with us. Before long, their friends will become more important and they won't want to be with us!

Other than the fact they will be grown and moved out before we know it, we love sharing new sights and places with them, love watching them play and swim, I love seeing the look of wonder while they are snorkeling and seeing things they have never seen before, I love seeing them dressed in their little sportscoat and enjoying dinner, I could go on and on but before you barf, I'll reiterate, I love my kids hence the fear of them falling overboard.

I want to spend time with them, I could have left them with grandma, but they are well behaved kids that will be supervised - they don't run down halls or climb on railings. I have taken them on cruises and to Jamaica, Puerto Vallarte, Las Vegas etc,etc - everywhere we go, they go - we never really wanted to take vacations without them - we think family is so important, we'd miss them and would constantly wish they were with us to share in all the fun.

Anyhow, I hope that answers your question of why I would want to take my kids on cruises.

P.S.- we did pay full price for their tickets so I hope the adults aren't too put out about them being on the same ship. I guess we all have to have some tolerance for those who act differently from us, maybe that includes children too.

.....now, everybody sit tight and listen carefully.

Some people like to vacation all the time with their kids, never leaving them.

Some people like some time away from the kids.

Some people think cruises are great for kids.

Other people think kids do not belong on a cruise ship.

Some people pull their kids out of school for vacation.

Others would never pull their kids out of school.

Bottom line is everyone is different and there are very different sides/opinions on these boards in regards to these issues. No matter what, everyone must do what THEY think is right for them and their kids.

There is no right or wrong here. Only you can decide. Only when your kids are grown, if what you did was right for you, you'll be able to tell if it actually WAS right by how your kids turned out. If they turned out great, then you did good and made the right choices, If they turned out not-so-great, well, it's too late. But no one can know what's right for another person's kid, especially since it's a struggle knowing what is right for your own.

By all means state your opinion but don't tell anyone they are wrong in theirs.

I never pulled my kids out of school...do I think it hurts them and makes them think school isn't a priority...NO way. That is making a huge assumption, isn't it?? In fact....now that my kids ARE grown (mostly) and I have the power of hindsight, I see that I could have taken them out of school on occasion and it wouldn't have hurt them at all.

Do I think young kids belong on a cruise...nope. I don't. I too, think of cruise ships as more of an adult environment, but who am I to tell other people where to take their kids?? Some people love running after toddlers...I don't...lots of parents have tons of patience...I certainly didn't, and neither did my husband. I vacationed with my kids at the the most 'childproof' places possible because for ME it was easier because of MY lack of patience. Everyone has to do what they are best suited for.

Have I gone away without my kids?? He!! yes!! Does that make me less of a parent than someone who takes their kids with them everywhere...no, it just makes me different than they are.

This has been discussed mnay times on these boards since I found them and let me tell you, talking about parenting gets REAL UGLY...I've gotten ugly myself over it in the past :eek: . So let's agree to disagree and not judge each other!!

The rug-rats will all grow up at least half decent, no matter how hard we parents try to scr*w them up!! :D

Pass the jell-o shots and be happy!!!!

and to the OP...your kids will not fall overboard...they could JUMP overboard, but it would take a lot of effort. Relax.

If your kids are busy with Camp Carnival and busy with you then they should not have any time to fall overboard.

The topside of the ship is very windy at night, I went to the hot tub to tell the teenagers to get inside and was just about blown off the ship, don't laugh I was clinging to a pole. Oh and I was sober.

The parents that bring their children on cruises and enjoy their time with them --fantastic! These will be the well behaved children.

I have been a Coach for years, Director of a swim team for years, and a Leader in Scouts. Experience tells. There are a lot of parents that 'dump' their kids off at pratice and games without being involved. These kids are the ones that do not behave. They think these events are baby setting session.

The parents that participate in their children's events have the best behaved children. Parenting takes hard work and participation. Kids will... grow up on their own without parental supervision. Just not a god idea.

How children act in public is a direct reflection of Parent's parenting skills and willingness to parent. And yes, to those parents of bratty kids, please don't bring them aboard. Please don't bring kids aboard if you have the intention of 'dumping', knowing that they are bound in by the high seas.

.....now, everybody sit tight and listen carefully.

Some people like to vacation all the time with their kids, never leaving them.

Some people like some time away from the kids.

Some people think cruises are great for kids.

Other people think kids do not belong on a cruise ship.

Some people pull their kids out of school for vacation.

Others would never pull their kids out of school.

Well put! I was about to jump on this issue myself, and you are correct, this issue can and frequently DOES get ugly.

In my situation, while I don't mind people who bring well-behaved kids, I would prefer to travel on occassion without them. My wife on the other hand, has to have the kids with us wherever we go on vacation. As you can imagine this sometimes results in some marital conflict, most often in the form of, "Hey YOU wanted to bring them, YOU can supervise them." So conflicts like this don't just exist here, in our case you have a COUPLE who disagree about bringing or not bringing the kids.

Still married though and havin fun . . . :D

Ventureman, I do agree with you wholeheartedly. Originally I thought you didn't think children under 21 should be allowed to cruise regardless - there is such a difference in parents who dump their kids and parents who are with their kids in the pools and the dining areas (at least if the parents actively participate in keeping their children behaving well!).

I am really proud of my boys, I cringe when I see children disrespecting others especially adults. My boys are not perfect angels but they are very well behaved - anyhow, I'm not worried about them falling overboard anymore (now I'm worried about adults not wanting kids on board flinging them overboard :eek: ).

Just kidding, I know most people are pretty tolerant and there to have fun and not pass judgement on all the other cruise goers - the others are the people that need to stay home with Grandma! :p

Hey, there are plenty of things & many people that bother me, but I'm on vacation! No Problem -

We will have a wonderful time and I can't wait!

Elation 8/15/04

Grandeur of the Sea 7/02

Song of Norway 7/92

Song of America 8/88

Just another thought here. It seems that children at a very young age get to experience things that I never experienced until I was much older, 20's,30's

It seems to me that children could become jaded & need more exciting things to entertain them. Sometimes starting them with more simple vacations at first might make them appreciate more the specialness of cruising when they finally have the opportunity to do it.

Archived