Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Donald, Bon Voyage!

Living near the ocean allows you to sail without flying. When I was on my honeymoon going from the Americana hotel with a short cab ride to the pier to Furness-Bermuda Lines pier took about 10 minutes.

While we were at the hotel we saw Martin Luther King Jr and Jesse Jackson in the elevator. So many firsts for me.

Hope your trip is filled with many firsts and bests.

Fran

Re your question about how we plan to travel to Genoa, from Australia, to join our cruise.

We haven't booked yet, but it is low season and there are lots of options, via Asia or the Middle East. We prefer routes which fly from Brisbane and don't go via Sydney or London.

With European airlines, such as Air France, you fly with Qantas to Hong Kong or Singapore, then Air France to Genoa/Milan. Thai, you fly via Singapore or Bangkok. We usually break our journey one way at least.

In the good old days, we used to fly both ways via the States to get the 2 suitcases 70 lbs each entitlement, versus 1 suitcase 20 kilos, via Asia.

BTW Our elder daughter has booked an Antarctica/Falkland Islands/South Georgia cruise for January 2009.

Re your question about how we plan to travel to Genoa, from Australia, to join our cruise. We haven't booked yet, but it is low season and there are lots of options, via Asia or the Middle East. We prefer routes which fly from Brisbane and don't go via Sydney or London.

With European airlines, such as Air France, you fly with Qantas to Hong Kong or Singapore, then Air France to Genoa/Milan. Thai, you fly via Singapore or Bangkok. We usually break our journey one way at least.BTW Our elder daughter has booked an Antarctica/Falkland Islands/South Georgia cruise for January 2009.

Your airline routing sends me reeling. Just flying from Brisbane to Hong Kong or Singapore is quite a step. The total flight hours to Genoa must be impressive, to say the least. Aussies are fine travelers - if y'all want to see someplace in the world, you buckle that seat belt and off you go. I had an Aussie friend in Sydney whose son would fly to Aspen Colorado for a ski trip!

International flights are becoming tiresome for me but Aussies put me in the shade with your willingness to put in the hours just to "get there." I was surprised to read that Brisbane has that many international connections.

Yes, I'm off to Antartica eventually. I saw your note asking about Orlova. That Antarctica board moves exceeding slow with responses to questions. However, the "Virtual Tour" travel diary at the top of the forum was quite interesting and informative to learn about the area, procedures, and possibilities for a cruise in the region.

I've read that Golden Princess has sailed in Antartica waters. Harumph! I wonder about the wisdom of that ship being in provocative waters but - anything for a buck by the cruise lines.

Ruby

Yes, Australians are great long distance travellers.

When my daughter and I went to London for a wedding a couple of years ago, my daughter bought the cheapest economy fare with Qatar/Singapore Airlines, which went via Singapore (6 hour stopover) and Doha (4 hour stopover). During the latter, it was so crowded, she had to sit on the floor, as they were modernising their airport. I'm way past that, so flew Royal Brunei business class.

We think of Brisbane to HK or Singapore as a short leg, and wonderful places to break the long journey to Europe.

Lots of Australians travel overseas to ski, including our younger daughter, who skied in NZ last year and northern Japan this year in February. She is now planning to ski in France at the end of the year. Takes her own ski gear, so doesn't get much luggage entitlement.

I agree international flights are becoming almost too tiresome to bear for us older folk. I wonder if it will go full circle and we'll return to overseas travel by ship, as my generation did on their first big overseas trip?

We think of Brisbane to HK or Singapore as a short leg, and wonderful places to break the long journey to Europe.

I agree international flights are becoming almost too tiresome to bear for us older folk. I wonder if it will go full circle and we'll return to overseas travel by ship, as my generation did on their first big overseas trip?

Marion, would you please refresh my memory? I know my flights from LAX to Sydney or Auckland were 14-hour flights. As we know, the planes have the flight-map screens which show our progress over the Pacific Ocean. When we crossed Top End on the way to Down Under, it seems that that leg was at least 6 hours, perhaps 8, to cross the continent of Australia from north to south. Is that correct?

While Brisbane is certainly farther north of Sydney, I'm struggling to understand the analogy of Hong Kong being a "short leg." Digression - when I win a huge lottery, I will pack my bags, fly first class on either Cathay Pacific or Singapore Air to Hong Kong, and move into a nice room at The Peninsula. Best hotel in the whole wide world.

My dream for the future of holiday travel is that the airplanes drop the automatic word "discount" before their names and go back to a bit of style for air flights. Where I might actually have a vacant seat next to me on the way to Istanbul or Buenos Aires. Ahhh - the good old days!

Ruby

You're spot on again. Both Cathay Pacific and Singapore Air are great carriers.

The Peninsula Hotel is a grand experience - when we stayed there (way back when), they picked us up at the airport in one of their fleet of Rolls Royces. Virginia was highly impressed, and loved it when the maid came to the room with the trolley loaded with different soaps, lotions, etc.

We had an outstanding prime rib dinner, carved from a trolley, in their dining room.

Perhaps someday we shall return to the Peninsula.

The Peninsula Hotel is a grand experience - when we stayed there (way back when), they picked us up at the airport in one of their fleet of Rolls Royces. Perhaps someday we shall return to the Peninsula.

Isn't that the most wonderful hotel? I was all pumped up when we sailed into Hong Kong Harbour in 1998 and I knew the Peninsula's RR was waiting for me. Unfortunately, the disembarkation took 3 hours and, by the time I got off the ship, the driver was not exactly welcoming. But I was a bit disappointed in the RR as a car - I guess I'm too plebian to appreciate that level of luxury.

I enjoyed the daily paper being placed in the room floor transom so I could remove it from the glass box door inside the room - I think it was ironed and warm when delivered. When I was leaving the room, I would stand and watch that exquisitely-balanced door slowly but majestically close itself. It never failed to click shut with only a whisper of a door latching.

Michael, did you notice that, the second time you took the elevator to your room, the elevator operator, part of the security team, didn't have to ask for your room number? And when you walked to the top of the grand staircase, the security guard in a suit recognized you? I had a wool-and-cashmere winter coat made at Ying Tai in the mezzanine - a beautiful piece of tailoring that I still treasure.

I waited for 2 days to see if the "afternoon tea" line would fade and it never did. The yuppie locals were taking up all the tables. One evening I asked the concierge if I could make a reservation for afternoon tea. He exclaimed, "You are a hotel guest! Go to the head of the line and you will be seated!" No wonder rock stars and movie stars get so spoiled.

One grand part about flying first class on Cathay Pacific - while the hotel RR transferred me to the airport, two morning-suited Peninsula staff members awaited us at the airport, took my ticket, and checked me in. None of that "standing in line" riffraff. But the Peninsula represents the elegance, style, and hospitality that suits me down to the civilized ground. We pay for those top-drawer services, but it's a world I could learn to live in quite comfortably. If only it weren't for the money thing . . . .

Ruby

Did your flight from LAX to Sydney come via Cairns in North Queensland or direct to Sydney? Sorry, I don't know how many hours it would take to fly from the Top End of Queensland to Sydney.

We have flown from Brisbane to Horn Island, ferry to Thursday Island, then ferry to the Top End of Queensland. Can't remember how long it took.

I just looked at return flights to Genoa, Italy from Brisbane, via Dubai, and it was 31 hrs 2 mins over and 28 hrs 0 mins back. The aim is to find the least flying time.

Did I mention that we can buy Combination Fares here, where you fly the short leg to Asia in economy, then the long leg to Europe, on a European carrier in business class. There are also Combination Business/First Class fares. I have enjoyed the former, but the latter is just a dream!

Your experiences of staying at the Peninsula Hotel sound just wonderful. We stayed at the YMCA for its waterfront location (and price).

Our hotel highlight was the former Railway Hotel (Thailand's Raffles, now a Sofitel) at Hua Hin in Bangkok.

My daughter has just sent me the following itinerary, part of an atw ticket -

Brisbane to Bangkok, Thailand - 9 hours 11 mins.

Bangkok to Zurich, Switzerland - 12 hours 30 mins.

Zurich to London - 1 hr 55 mins

plus connection times - ugh!!

My daughter has just sent me the following itinerary, part of an atw ticket -

Brisbane to Bangkok, Thailand - 9 hours 11 mins.

Bangkok to Zurich, Switzerland - 12 hours 30 mins.

Zurich to London - 1 hr 55 mins

plus connection times - ugh!!

An "atw" ticket? Around the world? Those flight times, in conjunction with connections, are killer.

I looked up the LAX to SYD nostop flight and it is 14 hours nonstop. Plus the hours in transit from Dallas/Fort Worth to Los Angeles. I am usually in-transit for about 24-30 hours by the time I leave Texas and arrive at my destination but reading about your daughter's total transit hours was illuminating.

About the YMCA in Hong Kong - I had friends on the ship who stayed there and kindly invited me over to see their room. I loved that place, their room was on the waterfront and cost USD100 a day. Such a deal!

The reason I asked The Peninsula concierge about getting a table at teatime was to invite my friends over as we were one block apart. They came to tea and we had a grand time enjoying the quartet playing on the mezzanine to the crowds below, feasting on tea cakes on tiered servers, a large assortment of teas, and hot water being poured into our cups to warm them.

Even when I splash out on holiday, I still ride public transportation and eat at local cafes. I may stay at The Peninsula, but I'm riding the double-decker around Tsim Tsha Sui. By the bye, has anyone had shark-fin soup? I tried it and guess I'm just a barbarian, but I don't understand it. Gelatinous cartilage doesn't have much taste.

Ruby

Yes, atw is around the world.

I agree you can't beat the price of the YMCA in its superb location. We had a peak into the Peninsula and Sheraton (?) nearby. How lovely for your friends to be able to join you for afternoon tea at the Peninsula.

In London, we love splashing out on a lingering afternoon tea and touring in the front row upstairs of the double decker buses.

Haven't tasted shark fin soup.

There have been reports here of Japanese long line fishermen throwing sharks back in to the sea, after cutting the fins off.

How cruel and such a waste. Shark, sold here as flake, is a popular inexpensive fish, for many people.

yes i loved the ship having beren on the CPORONIA twice before brought back happy memories. have done a review onm the rool call see what you think. been a been negative on a couplew of things. what was in the area now called "THE VIEW" seems there was nothing there on the coronia according to the deck plans. not heard anything more about the rumour ORIENT LINES

dave(yes david templar)

Further re flight times from Australia.

Following research, found direct flights to Milan from Singapore, which met our requirements of not travelling via Sydney or London/European ports, so we've booked -

Singapore Airlines

Brisbane to Milan - 24 hrs 1 min - yeh!!

Milan to Brisbane - 35 hrs 1 min :( with a day in Singapore and a late night departure.

Plus check in times, of course!!

We forgoed the direct flight home, as it was $400 pp extra. Depending how we shape up, we can either enjoy a day in Singapore or get a hotel room to recover :).

Once, I would just buy a ticket from A to B, then discover later we were on a Cook's Tour en route - not anymore!

i looked at the deck plans and it did not say anything, mwhat was it called?

dave

I believe it was the Tivoli Restaurant. I had a fabulous meal up there as we decided as a table to book for there one evening...and no extra supplement either!

We forgoed the direct flight home, as it was $400 pp extra. Depending how we shape up, we can either enjoy a day in Singapore or get a hotel room to recover.

Gosh, you are so accepting of those long-haul flights point-to-point. You Aussies are tough and willing travelers! When I had a long layover in Singapore, I rented a hotel room that turned out to be excellent. The concierge on Nautica made an advance reservation at the hotel inside the airport and I'm glad he did as the hotel was full.

I had a largish room fully furnished with all the bells and whistles for a decent price. I took a nap when I first got to the room, then pulled myself together and went out into the airport to enjoy the fine choices of shops and cafes. The only unusual sight was the soldiers with automatic weapons at random points around the airport.

But if you don't feel like going into town, I highly recommend the Ambassador Transit hotel rooms that are available to rent in 6-hour blocks. You can reach them by the rail service between terminals.

Ruby

Dave - I read your comments on the roll call for your Saga Ruby 5-day cruise. I was quite surprised that you found their hotel staff service to be no more than what you had experienced on any other line. Please give us specific comments about what seemed to be mundane service on Saga. Your experience was a polar opposite to my two cruises and 30 days onboard the Saga Sisters.

Fran - you've been quiet. Are you contemplating your next small-ship cruise or are you in the shop for an overhaul?

Donald - have you returned from Mercury today? When you have time, give us your impressions on this particular cruise. And welcome home.

A new world record - I have received my official hat and baggage tags for my Antarctica cruise on C2 in 1.5 years (January 2010) plus the usual forms to fill out and return. I can't fill in the passport information as I have to renew early next year, get a Turkish visa, all that jazz for Prinsendam and the Black Sea. By the time I chug on to my seventh continent, much will have changed. But promptitude is appreciated.

Marion - what are your thoughts about Orlova for the Antarctica cruise? I've been watching your thread.

Ruby

I believe it was the Tivoli Restaurant. I had a fabulous meal up there as we decided as a table to book for there one evening...and no extra supplement either!
Yes, it was Tivoli. It was added to VISTAFJORD in the big 1994 refit in which Cunard finally managed to completely ruin her interior decor, the same year it finally accomplished the same on QE2 after 25 years of valiant effort. ;) (OK, neither ship was actually bad, but especially in VISTAFJORD's case, Cunard managed to eradicate nearly all traces of the original decor. On QE2, there are still bits left if you look closely...)

The space was previously the upper level of the nightclub, Club Viking, later (as CARONIA) the Picadilly Club and now PreView. The whole space itself, a rather ungainly addition to her after decks, was added in 1983 after Cunard bought the ship. It was supposed to be modeled on a similar space on CUNARD COUNTESS and CUNARD PRINCESS - leave it to the dreadful Trafalgar House (then-owner of Cunard) to attempt to modify one of the finest ships in the world to "match" those decidedly ordinary vessels! :rolleyes:

The original Club Viking was much further forward, in an area occupied by cabins now, and above it was a sports deck that was replaced by the area aft of the funnel, some of which is now occupied by the ugly gym Saga added (the only thing Saga has done to the ship that I don't like).

Donald - have you returned from Mercury today? When you have time, give us your impressions on this particular cruise. And welcome home.

Thank you very much for the welcome home. While the weather in Alaska did not co-operate, I had the most wonderful time aboard the ship. I will tell more once I've done all the unpacking, laundry and chores. And, oh, no, come to think of it ... now I need to think of what to prepare for dinner, after a week of pampering!

Just a tidbit ... flames, not sparklers, were used on Baked Alaska on Mercury. That's my table waiter, Idewa (an excellent one) from Indonesia.

Later,

Donald.

1927584705_x2008_0711IdewaBayuarta.jpg.d50d3f2f493f1588cd22f87b1d45eada.jpg

Ross sent this photo to me of the France/Norway in the final throes of her physically fading into the twilight.

How strange, how painful that "they" leave her funnel and colours visible 'til the last. Is that standard business procedure with the breakers?

Ruby

694361908_SSFrance.jpg.65b0ca6823148c396112d5c53910aa90.jpg

I can't answer you last question - other than to say having seen many photos of ships at the breakers, there does not seen to be much rhyme or reason to the methods and order of breaking-up ships.

Peter Knego of Maritime Matters (http://www.maritimematters.com) might be able to answer your question. He documents much of the "action" at Alang.

Ross sent this photo to me of the France/Norway in the final throes of her physically fading into the twilight.

How strange, how painful that "they" leave her funnel and colours visible 'til the last. Is that standard business procedure with the breakers

When I was a young girl growing up in NYC, my biggest dream was to sail on the SS France. I remember a radio personality saying that "it was the finest French restaurant in the world." It is so sad to see such an undignified end.

Fran

In December 1972, when Victoria returned to New York City after a cruise in the Caribbean, we docked opposite from France. I still remember being mesmerised by the utter length of that ship as we passed her pier and then eased alongside her at the next pier. Her promenade deck windows seemed to me to be all of a mile long! I couldn't even begin to count them. She was truly an impressive ship.

From pictures taken at Alang, it seems to me that ships are destroyed first at the bow and then proceeding aft. "Destroyed" is the only word that I can think of for these magnificent liners. "Scavenged" or "Recycled into paper clips or razor blades" don't cut it for me.

Donald.

The order in which a ship is deconstructed seems to start from the top and works downward (only makes sense) but exactly what order is variable. In this picture of Michelangelo it is clear that the funnels are gone but the bulbous bow remains. It's always sad to see the loss of a great ship, but almost nothing lasts forever and we can hold onto our memories. That is what we are left with in the end. I had the chance to sail on France in 1963 when she was only a year old. She was a beautiful vessel with great food and elegant surroundings. I never returned to her when she was Norway. The sight of the first class Chambord Dining Room filled with tables for ten was almost as sad as the pictures of her on the beach in India.