Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Cagney is one of my favorite actors - he was great as a gangster, but he excelled as George M. Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I don't recall the name of the movie with Virginia Mayo. Turner Classic Movies recently ran a whole bunch of Cagney movies (perhaps it was his birthday or something).

And you are right, Edward G. Robinson was a classic.

For you small ship fans:

Maritime Matters is reporting that the 1991 built Renaissance IV, a 3990GRT, 100PAX ship, is going to be refurbished, and will be sailing the Great Lakes in 2009.

It is going to have its hull strengthened, and may go down to Antarctica and The Galapagos in the future.

OHHHH BOY!!! (A bit off topic but so what...LOL!!!)

I always thought that Maureen Ohara was at her best in "The Quiet Man"...she was absolutely gorgeous in that movie...one of my favorites. My wife bought me "The Bishop's Wife"...a Christmas favorite. Angelina Jolie looks like a char woman compared to Loretta Young. The so called stars of today cannot hold a candle to the real stars...DiCaprio, Clooney, and Pitt are just a bunch of weak imitations when compared to the likes of Gable, Cagney, Flynn, Cooper and the others. These actors really had to work for a living and they had a lot more talent.

"The Best Years of Our Lives"...what a fantastic movie that was...even had Hoagy Carmichael doing a cameo appearance. Give me "Casablanca" any day over the current crap coming from Hollywood and the ridiculous parade of false icons masquerading as actors. The acting, music, dance, etc. of the 40's and 50's will never be equaled by today's standards. It breaks my heart when I have to explain all of this to younger people. They do not even know any of these fine films exist...they are totally clueless. I have shown my nieces and nephews some great movies and they are totally floored to find out about the rich heritage of the 30's-40's and 50's.

Ross

I just made a purchase on eBay and noticed that the Ocean Liner and Cruise Ship category is now 66 pages long!! There are all sorts of items from inexpensive postcards for a couple of dollars up to luxury items. So hold onto those programs, brochures and logo items.

Well, there you have it. Here is Fran's homework assignment for that final voyage on Marco Polo which is coming up shortly. Take an empty suitcase and bring back all the letterhead, postcards, menus, and door keys you can carry. I wonder what Conte means by "luxury" items? Bedding and wall sconces?

To Fran, Donald, and Michael who have upcoming voyages in March, a fond Bon Voyage to all and each of you. We will look forward to hearing your accounts upon your return.

Fair wind and following seas to you all,

Ruby

I just made a purchase on eBay and noticed that the Ocean Liner and Cruise Ship category is now 66 pages long!!

How do I find the Ocean Liner and Cruise Ship category on eBay? I don't find it on the list of categories on the homepage pop-up menu. Clicking on Collectibles doesn't seem to do the trick, or perhaps I'm more technologically challenged than I thought that I am. :rolleyes:

Donald.

Donald

It is listed under

collectibles>transportation>Boats, Ships>Cruise Ship, Ocean Liner

but if you just enter "Ocean Liner" in the search category you should be able to pull up the offerings. Some of the luxury items include an RMS Olympic passenger list starting at $1000, an original RMS Queen Mary poster for $900 and chairs from the first class dining room of United States for $800.

Happy bidding!!

A little while ago we had discussed the joys of flying. This week I had my little bit of "joy". On Wednesday I left home about 2:30pm to catch a 5:550 flight to Wisconsin so that I may visit my two younger grandchildren. After check-in and wheelchair assistance to my gate I waited patiently. At about 5:00pm they changed the sign at the gate but there was no one to give me any information.

Eventually an airline employee came and when I tried to ask about my flight, was told that he was busy. Eventually a gentleman who was waiting in my area went to the board and found that my flight had been cancelled. I could not even get any verification nor assistance. An hour later help came and they could not assist me to re-book and the booking place was too far for them to take me. They did assist me through Canadian Custums and Immigration where I had to tell them that I didn't leave the country but I had to fill out their forms ayway.

Arriving home at about 7:15 I called to re-book my flight. I was thoroughly exhausted and put on hold for 54 minutes. I changed to a Thursday morning flight so with 2 hours of sleep I tried again. The flight was only delayed 15 minutes.

I should be returning on Monday evening if all goes well so that I can pack and leave again (flying to Rio via Miami). I must be a glutton for punishment.

I shall have to pare down my packing so that I will have a suitcase for all of the logo stuff I will bring back. Do you think that I will be able to get dishes too?

Fran

Donald

It is listed under

collectibles>transportation>Boats, Ships>Cruise Ship, Ocean Liner

but if you just enter "Ocean Liner" in the search category you should be able to pull up the offerings. Some of the luxury items include an RMS Olympic passenger list starting at $1000, an original RMS Queen Mary poster for $900 and chairs from the first class dining room of United States for $800.

Happy bidding!!

Conte, thank you very much for the step-by-step directions in getting to the appropriate category. I've been on eBay since 1999 but had never used that procedure. Up to now I had simply entered a specific item in the "Search" box.

The Olympic 1924 passenger list is way over-priced! The seller obviously was capitalizing on her being a sister-ship of the Titanic. Yeah, right.

The first class dining room chairs from the United States really look fabulous. Two strikes against me bidding on these: no room in my apartment, and my two cats would quickly waste my $800 spent on these.

Ta-da!

Donald.

Yes, Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man was outstanding.. It doesn't get much better than teaming John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

I do have that flick on tape. The version shown on AMC and TCM seems to have color problems - they need to upgrade to a digitized version.

Ward Bond, as the Catholic Priest, was also outstanding. He was one of John

Ford's best supporting actors. He did a great job in The Searchers, another John Ford/John Wayne classic.

HI DRUKE!!!

Yes...Ward Bond was a constant actor with John Wayne. Ward was a favorite of Republic and John Ford. And let's not forget the McLaglins (sp?) either...Victor and his sons were always involved with that group too. I thought it was John Huston who directed the "Quiet Man". John was another one of those quirky directors who seemed to have moments of sheer genius. But I am looking at a reference that says it was John Ford...OH WELL. I love the remastered digital color of "The Quiet Man". There are some great shots in that film...a forerunner to "Ryan's Daughter". Another funny thing about "The Quiet Man" was that both Fitzgerald brothers played in that movie...one was Michaleen and the other was the Protestant minister...I believe Barry and Edmond Fitzgerald???

Well now...back to ocean liners...LOL

Ross

The Olympic 1924 passenger list is way over-priced! The seller obviously was capitalizing on her being a sister-ship of the Titanic. Donald.

Peter Boyd-Smith told me that there is quite a lot of skulduggery amongst the world of Titanic and Olympic collectibles. He mentioned one instance of an item being from Titanic but a bit of scraping revealed the logo of Olympic underneath it.

You maritime collectors are braver than I. The higher the price, the more I would be suspicious that the provenance was doubtful. So Fran, keep an eye out on Marco Polo and, by all means, take that extra case!

I thank Conte for being such a maritime enthusiast or we would not have been the beneficiaries of those lovely menus and photos. I have my memories, he has the Good Stuff.

Ruby

A poster on CCritic (not on this thread) has brought up the population density onboard a given ship. He says he doesn't care about the number of people, he cares about space ratios.

I couldn't disagree more. To me, it's the difference between attending a large banquet in a convention center to dining in intimate surroundings.

No matter how large the space ratio, when you're feeding 3,000+ passengers several times a day, doesn't the quality become affected? When you're disembarking that many people for a port or at the final destination, don't the numbers become a factor?

When 20,000 people disembark in Ketchikan on a given day, do you really get the feel of that part of the world?

Ruby

Space ratio (when larger) is a handy means of looking at a ship, but I agree, the megaships are too damned big! Any ship that cannot fit through the locks of the Panama Canal is too big, in my opinion.

We were very comfortable on the former Royal Princess, at 45,000GRT 1200PAX, and thought she was a very nice sized ship.

We were extremely comfortable on Oceania's Regatta and Nautica at 30,277GRT and 684PAX.

I'm looking forward to Oceania's new ships, which if memory is correct will be in the neighborhood of 62,000GRT 1500PAX.

Is this a record? Four days without a post. Is everyone packing or shopping? For me the serious packing will begin tomorrow evening. I heard from a Marco Polo friend that her husband had finished packing in the middle of January. Thinking that they were going on another cruise prior to our sailing, I inquired. No! This was for our March 1 departure. She was probably going to do her packing 2-3 days prior to leaving.

When do you pack? How many suitcases? Length of cruises?

I miss the action on this thread.

Fran

I was also beginning to worry that everyone had gone somewhere else, and forgotten to tell me!

Reference packing, I usually pack one day before our flight out. If going on a ship like Oceania's Regatta or Nautica, one 24" suitcase and one carry-on each for my wife and I.

If going on a ship with Formal nights, then there will be a shared garment bag also.

The above is usually fine for a cruise up to two weeks; longer than that may require another suitcase, but another variable is laundry facilities aboard the ship.

We certainly have learned to get by with less over the years. We used to pack much more than we do now.

I don't manhandle the bags nearly a well as I used to - so the fewer bags the better.

It has taken me 3 hours, on and off, to get this message posted on these boards today. It has been the dreaded "fatal runtime" error all morning. Many times I haven't been able to sign on - or off. My general passivity is tied to the ability to post over the past several weeks.

I'm rethinking my suitcase situation. I've always taken a 24" bag, plus a smaller bag, and a carry-on. But if they're going to charge $25 for more than the one case, I'll switch to a newer single case into which I can fit everything.

Fran, I had to smile at your MP friend who is already packed. I hear stories like that all the time on ships. For the life of me, I don't understand it. I have a travel drawer in my dresser and everything I might forget is thrown into that drawer over the many months. When I pack the night before, I get the forget-me-nots (like Texas souvenirs to be handed out overseas) from the drawer, then put in my clothes.

About length of cruises - my minimum cruise is 14 days or more, with 28 days being my personal limit. I don't have lots o' cruise numbers, but the "days at sea" is a very high figure indeed.

Ruby

I have been busy over the past several days enjoying Vancouver's unusually warm weather. Yesterday we had a high of 14.1C (57.4F) which nearly broke the record for that day of 14.4C (57.9F) set in 1973. I've been outdoors in my shorts, and sunbathing on my balcony in my Speedos, to work up a tan base for the Caribbean cruise in 13 more days.

As for packing, I usually select my cruise wardrobe three or four days prior to packing, and hang them in a row. Shirts are matched with two pants (one black and one beige) to be worn in the evenings, as well as ties to go with the suits on formal nights. That's it ... I don't bring extras, as I have everything planned for each day of the cruise, and all can fit into one suitcase. I pack three hours before leaving for the trip.

A new complication is that I can bring only 44 pounds of stuff in that suitcase, because I will be returning with a 5-pound bottle of alcohol from the ship's duty-free shop. I used to bring that bottle with me home on aircraft, but not any longer. For that reason I no longer bring a dinner jacket for the informal nights, as its extra weight is not worth bringing for one or two such nights on a 10-day cruise. The suit for the formal nights has to be the sufficient extent to which I follow the ship's dress code.

I like 10- and 11-day cruises ... not too short, not too long. I also had no problem with the 14 days of back-to-backs on the Vision of the Seas a couple of months ago, because there were different passengers for each week, which made it more interesting.

Donald.

When do you pack? How many suitcases? Length of cruises?
I pack the day before, or possibly even day of (!) departure if leaving on an evening flight.

It takes me at most a few hours. One regular-sized suitcase. Carry-ons: camera, laptop, reading materials, pen (for immigration forms), hand sanitizer (in plastic bag).

I have a good friend who often does not even take any checked baggage :eek: . When he goes on a long cruise with formal nights, he and his wife share one bag.

I have a good friend who often does not even take any checked baggage. When he goes on a long cruise with formal nights, he and his wife share one bag.

Zowie - now that's efficiency! Conversely, on my Nautica cruise, I sat next to a husband and wife, each a petite size and of a certain age, who were quite outgoing. In chatting, the subject of luggage came up. For a 25-day cruise, the husband mentioned that they were traveling with 10 cases for the 25-day cruise. I thought I had misunderstood him but it was true.

Hmmm, if one were to do the math, that's going to be an expensive charge for excess luggage. The husband, in his late 70s, must be a whole lot stronger than I thought - just lifting the bags onto a trolley would be tiring. But they were a happy lot and I'm confident that they cheerfully dealt with whatever speed bumps arose to enjoy their cruises.

Donald, I wanted to tell you that, for me, dreading long flights is lots worse than the actual flight. Speedos, huh? Going for that minimal tan line?

Ruby

Donald, I wanted to tell you that, for me, dreading long flights is lots worse than the actual flight. Speedos, huh? Going for that minimal tan line?

I will let you know how I experienced the homeward-bound flight from San Juan on March 17. It is a 5hr 20min flight to Dallas, then 1hr 20min at DFW, then 4hr 20min to Vancouver - a total of 11 hours in transit. This does not include maybe 2 hours at the airport in San Juan prior to departure.

Yep, I'm aiming for the minimal tan line! I don't understand why guys wear these "swim trunks" which extend all the way down to mid-calf. I've seen a few of them roll or pull them up in order to get tan on more of their legs. Why buy them in the first place? :confused:

Donald.

I will be onboard for 21 days plus 2 days hotel in Lisbon. During that time there will probably 4 formal nights plus a farewell reunion party in Lisbon. Fortunately the weather should require similar types of clothing making packing easier than my trip "Antarctica and the Amazon" in 2005 which was a horror to pack for but certainly well worth it.

I am still determined to pack lighter so that I have space to put all of the logo items I can get my hands on. I say this but I always end up with 2 very full suitcases. I will do my best to keep my word to myself; Fill each suitcase only half full and send my clothes to the onboard laundry.

I actually don't feel too badly about my 2 suitcases plus carry-on for a month. Only time will tell what my truth will be. In 2002 when I joined these boards there was a very knowledgeable gentleman posting on the Orient Lines board. His name was Peter and he lived in the Vancouver area. He told me that I only needed one 24" suitcase and a carry-on for a month. He was challenged by another poster on this issue. Unfortunately Peter has passed on. I was very thankful for his sanity when others lost theirs.

Fran

Darlings, it's all about fashion! Who cares how many bags it takes to ensure that we look absolutely marvelous whether it's one's first appearance for a late breakfast in the lido, lounging on the deck in the afternoon or appearing for pre-dinner cocktails in the observation lounge? A cruise is an opportunity for packing to the max. I can't think of how many times my luggage is specially tagged as "Extra Heavy". I have been known to send check-in clerks to rehab facilities. Long live the tradition of the grand tour!

Packing like this takes commitment (you may think to a psychiatric facility). It often starts a few weeks in advance, hunting and gathering of all the right outfits, the ritualistic ironing and shopping for that extra special new outfit. Then there is also all the electronic equipment. It's all so exhausting!!

If you would like to keep your packing to a minimum, I would suggest a cruise on Hapag Lloyd's Europa. Just walk on board in casual attire and throw a tux in a garment bag. If you spend the day in the K-zone, you won't even need the Speedo!

I AGREE WITH CONTE DI SAVOIA!!!

A cruise is a great excuse to dress to the 9's. We always pack with abandon and weigh it after we are done. As long as we are allowed 2 full size suitcases and a carry-on...we will take them. Here you are...on a gorgeous ship...you might as well "dress the part" and enjoy!!!

Ross