Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

When I sailed to Greenland and Iceland on [I]Saga Rose[/I] in August, I made a mental note that the "views" count on this thread was up to 6,520. We have today passed the 25,000 mark. What a loverly place to swap information, memories of days gone by, and astute remarks, all made with remarkable [I]civility[/I]. You are all so much appreciated. Thanks, everybody.

Now - about the refurb of [I]Prinsendam[/I]. Hmmm . . . it does make one want to check out the new digs. Do all HAL ships now do the sexy legs and chef's hats routines?

Ruby

When I sailed to Greenland and Iceland on [I]Saga Rose[/I] in August, I made a mental note that the "views" count on this thread was up to 6,520. We have today passed the 25,000 mark. What a loverly place to swap information, memories of days gone by, and astute remarks, all made with remarkable [I]civility[/I]. You are all so much appreciated. Thanks, everybody.

Now - about the refurb of [I]Prinsendam[/I]. Hmmm . . . it does make one want to check out the new digs. Do all HAL ships now do the sexy legs and chef's hats routines?

Ruby

Ruby

You stuttered! (Servers have really been acting up.)

We've sailed three times with HAL (although not on Prinsendam), and have never seen a "sexy legs" contest, and don't know what a "chef's hat routine" might be.

I thought HAL was refined, albeit somewhat sedate. Their food and its service was good, but Oceania's food I found better.

Ruby, The thanks go to you for starting this thread. I am amazed regarding the knowledge of ships that so many of you have. How lucky I was to have found you and your civil members of this interesting thread. I now understand the psychology of the serial stories. Each day I find this compulsion to visit this thread to find the next treasure.

I haven't even a millionth of the ship and sea knowledge that the posters here have but I feel welcomed with my questions.

Yes Ruby, the thanks are yours.
Fran

The itinerary for the final cruise of the Marco Polo for Orient lines is:
[CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1][COLOR=#003399][B]Cruise Schedule[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Sun.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Rio de Janeiro, Brazil[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]--[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]overnight[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Mon.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Rio de Janeiro, Brazil[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]--[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]1:00pm[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Tue.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cruising the Atlantic Ocean[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Wed.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Salvador de Bahia, Brazil[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]8:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]5:00pm[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Thu.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cruising the Atlantic Ocean[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Fri.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Recife, Brazil[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]8:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]5:00pm[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Sat.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cruising the Atlantic Ocean[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Sun.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Fortaleza, Brazil[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]8:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Mon.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cruising the Atlantic Ocean[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Tue.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cruising the Atlantic Ocean[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Wed.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cruising the Atlantic Ocean[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Thu.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cruising the Atlantic Ocean[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Fri.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Sao Vincente, Cape Verde Islands[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]8:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Sat.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cruising the Atlantic Ocean[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Sun.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cruising the Atlantic Ocean[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Mon.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]8:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Tue.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Agadir, Morocco[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]8:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]4:00pm[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Wed.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Casablanca, Morocco[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]8:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Thu.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Gibraltar, United Kingdom[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]8:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Fri.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Cadiz, Spain[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]8:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Sat.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Lisbon, Portugal[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]10:00am[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]overnight[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Sun.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Lisbon, Portugal[/SIZE][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Disembark[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]--[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1][COLOR=#003399][B]Post-Cruise Lisbon[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Sun.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Lisbon, Portugal (transfer to hotel, sightseeing)[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Mon.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Lisbon, Portugal (day at leisure)[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Tue.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]Lisbon, Portugal (transfer[B][COLOR=#cc0000] [/COLOR][/B]to airport)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

I can foresee most of us standing on the pier with tears in our eyes, hugging and kissing fellow pax and crew alike. I must remember to fill my pockets with tissues. Most of the pax will be Polo Club members which means they have been there before. As so many of us went on the "reunion cruises" we know each other if not by name then by sight.

So many of the crew have been there for years. They remember you and your name. Now so many of the crew call me "mommy". I feel cocooned by the warmth and affection I receive. I know that no matter where I go, I will never find this again but I will keep on trying
Fran

I've seen the male sexy legs contests on NCL and RCI ships, but not on Celebrity or HAL. I don't know about other cruise lines. Celebrity's [I]Mercury[/I] has the King of the Mercury competitions on most of her cruises. I will see what her sister-ship [I]Galaxy[/I] has on the schedule next March.

I've observed the chef's hat dinner spectacles on Alaskan cruises, but nowhere else. On the [I]Oosterdam[/I] to Mexico in November 2006, they had the Dutch national headcovers which diners were encouraged to don in the dining room, but I've seen these on Alaskan cruises also.

I suppose that it's up to cruise directors as to which indignity to impose on their passengers. :rolleyes:

Donald.

Fran, I was not at all bored by your last post. Your feelings of warmth and affection by the [I]Marco Polo[/I] crew mirrors exactly what I feel on "my" ship, the [I]Mercury[/I]. Every time I board her (eight so far), regular staff recognize and greet me by name, with handshakes or bear hugs. The bar staff even remember my drink preferences. That can't be duplicated on other ships on which I am not a regular passenger.

Donald.

Yes, being remembered by crew is quite pleasant.

My wife and I experienced that on the late great Royal Cruise Line, on both Golden Odyssey and Crown Odyssey.

When we sailed Oceania's Nautica Istanbul to Singapore Nov 06, our cabin stewardess and one of the waiters both remembered us (and we remembered them) from out trip on Regatta into the Baltic, Aug 05.

Capt Chris Rynd, now with Cunard, remembered us on Sky Princess from previous trips on Royal Princess.

I think that we treat crew members with respect helps greatly.

[quote name='Druke I']Yes, being remembered by crew is quite pleasant.

I think that we treat crew members with respect helps greatly.[/quote]

Yes, certainly. I always make it a point to learn their names, and afterwards smilingly address them ("Hello, Gladwin", "Thank you, Juro", "Yes, please, Suparawata"). They appreciate passengers who do not look down on them.

Donald.

[quote name='franu']I haven't even a millionth of the ship and sea knowledge that the posters here have but I feel welcomed with my questions. Fran[/quote]

Count me in with you. I sit on the curb and watch this thread's marvelous and educational parade of the ship-daft pass by. I listen, learn, and enjoy broadening my minimal education about classic ships, new ships, ships of days gone by.

Decades ago, I sailed on ships as transportation that took me to wonderful places without having to unpack a suitcase more than once. I didn't think to note the sconces on the walls. But I know you agree that it's tons of fun to read and learn from all these marvelous people on our thread who are willing to share their experiences and their knowledge.

About Prinsendam, the ship - I've been doing virtual tours and reading up on her history as my RVL Sun, then Seabourn, now HAL. It amuses me that reviewers talk about her being an "old" ship built in 1988. What is a new ship? Launched yesterday? As we all know, Fran and I are sailing on the truly old ships so, in my book, 1988 is a youngster.

I'm kicking around the Prinsendam itinerary for 16 days out of Rome to Ukraine for 2009. The only negative is yet another 24-30hr. day in transport to Rome. If only there were a Transporter Room.

Ruby

I also am amused by people who think a five year old ship is old! Nautica, which we both enjoyed in Nov/Dec 06 was built in 2000, and is barely "broken in".

Way back when, P&O (UK), with a long history, used to consider ships' usable life to be about twenty-five years (limited by the machinery's operational limitations).

Cunard's QE2 is to be retired this year, having just passed her 40th birthday. She was changed from boiler/turbine to diesel/electric midlife.

My favorite ship, the late great Royal Princess, (now Artemis) is really in her prime at the ripe old age of 23.

[QUOTE]Yes, certainly. I always make it a point to learn their names, and afterwards smilingly address them ("Hello, Gladwin", "Thank you, Juro", "Yes, please, Suparawata"). They appreciate passengers who do not look down on them.
[/QUOTE]
I find it difficult to understand why anyone would look down on anyone else. We are all human beings, we just have different jobs. My recent cabin steward told me that he "likes me because I always smile and say hello." I can't imagine why someone wouldn't.

[QUOTE]I also am amused by people who think a five year old ship is old! Nautica, which we both enjoyed in Nov/Dec 06 was built in 2000, and is barely "broken in".

Way back when, P&O (UK), with a long history, used to consider ships' usable life to be about twenty-five years (limited by the machinery's operational limitations).

Cunard's QE2 is to be retired this year, having just passed her 40th birthday. She was changed from boiler/turbine to diesel/electric midlife.
[/QUOTE]

Gee, I am glad that I am not a ship. If I were I would have been sent to Alang by now. I guess that is what is meant by this "disposable society".
Fran

I'm afraid we would be in trouble if we were scrapped as early as ships.

I guess there are "dog years, human years, and ship years" among others.

And I almost forgot "car years". I still have a hard time thinking of the cars of my youth being classified "classic" or "antique". YIKES!

We spoke the other day of Crown Odyssey, aka Norwegian Crown, being sold to Fred.Olsen Lines, being stretched and refurbished, and being renamed Balmoral.

Maritme Matters is reporting that due to "technical difficulties" at the shipyard, its entry into the Olsen fleet is being delayed. No details at the moment.

Its second scheduled cruise, mid February, should be fine.

Do you find that this news raises a flag for you? The first delay was said to be about the insertion of the new balconies. Now they are saying "due to technical difficulties". When one uses a phrase like that I wonder what are they hiding.

Have there been other ships which were stretched twice? How successful was it?
Fran

[quote name='franu']Have there been other ships which were stretched twice? How successful was it?[/quote]I don't think any ship has been stretched twice, this one included. It's her first stretch.

I think she has to be the oldest ship ever stretched though, 20 years old already. In the past most ships were stretched when they were quite new.

I've been reading up on the history of the various [I]Prinsendam[/I]s. Had no idea that she caught fire and sank in 1980 after a brief history at sea. The rescue went well and evidently all "souls" were safe.

I keep thinking about October, Alaska, 18 hours in the water for some of the people. It must have been quite miserable. The article went on to talk about most passengers being brought to safety on the "deck of a super tanker," the [I]Williamsburg.[/I] Does a super tanker have room inside to hold 520 people or does one assume they had to be accommodated on the decks outside until other rescue ships arrived?

So the original [I]Prinsendam[/I] sank, then RVL Sun was ultimately reflagged as [I]Prinsendam[/I]. Now I understand why Stephen Card honours her name on these boards.

Ruby

I was under the impression that when the Crown Odyssey was taken from Orient Lines and became the Norwegian Crown, that the ship was stretched. Thank you Doug for correcting my error. I couldn't believe that a ship would be too safe with two stretches.
Fran

I had an acquaintance who was aboard Prinsendam when she burned and sank up North.

She was a newpaper reporter for the Oakland CA Tribune, and wrote quite an article about her experiences.

Brave soul that she was, she did continue cruising, not letting that speed bump interupt her enjoyment of life.