Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Fran - Now that Marco Polo has been officially handed over to her new owners, have you given any more thought to your next cruise line?

I'm all a-twitter. A post today in CCritic gave me a hint about my Prinsendam cruise, I called HAL and, sure enough, the price for my category has dropped by $750 so I got a new invoice and lowered price. Zowie! That means that, indirectly, my travel insurance is paid.

As a solo passenger, I'm so used to getting killed with supplements and no credits that my head is happily swimming with dollar signs - in the green!

Ruby

Ruby,

Would you believe that I have just booked my cruise for Jan. 2009 on a behemoth belonging to NCL. I think that you know my feelings on that subject so I will not repeat. This is the cruise that I won while on the MP.

I am awaiting word regarding the Discovery from fellow cruisers in South Africa. We are also waiting with bated breath for word about Aegean I and when we can expect Gerry Herrod to announce future itineraries. I hope that there will be some cabins designated for single use. This negates the dreaded "single supplement". I only found them on the MP for my final 2 cruises.

At this time I am waiting for a medical procedure which "may" improve my mobility. This would allow me to be more adventurous in port. In other words I guess that I am in travel pause mode at this time.

Fran

Ruby,

Would you believe that I have just booked my cruise for Jan. 2009 on a behemoth belonging to NCL. I think that you know my feelings on that subject so I will not repeat. This is the cruise that I won while on the MP.

I am awaiting word regarding the Discovery from fellow cruisers in South Africa. We are also waiting with bated breath for word about Aegean I and when we can expect Gerry Herrod to announce future itineraries. I hope that there will be some cabins designated for single use. This negates the dreaded "single supplement". I only found them on the MP for my final 2 cruises.

At this time I am waiting for a medical procedure which "may" improve my mobility. This would allow me to be more adventurous in port. In other words I guess that I am in travel pause mode at this time.

Fran

I figure that, every 50,000 miles, I have to go into the medical shop for a tune-up then I'm good to go again. Here's hoping your procedures go well.

I am thrilled (probably more than you are) that you are sailing on a behemoth - which NCL ship is it? I'll be keen to "read all about it" upon your return.

The Saga Sisters have lots of single cabins, even in the posh suites, because the age minimum of 50 brings in quite a lot of singles. As one retired ophthamologist told me, "I've got nothing else to do."

Here's hoping your future holds fair winds and following seas.

Ruby

I am thrilled (probably more than you are) that you are sailing on a behemoth - which NCL ship is it? I'll be keen to "read all about it" upon your return.

This will be a real exercise in restraint for me. I must always keep in my mind that comparing it to the MP is not fair. This will be a very different experience, somewhat like the earlier days of airplane travel and not comparing it to an ocean liner crossing.

I will be on the Norwegian Jewel. It is more than 4 x the size that I am accustomed to. I can only hope that I can find my way to the Trivia contests.

The only port that interests me presently is Barbados. I may just remain on the ship for the others or just stroll on the quayside and have that famous cup of coffee. A difference in architecture, people or culture is interesting however wall to wall jewellery shops are boring for me.

The most interesting place in the Caribbean for me is San Andres Island, Columbia. It is still the mostly unchanged. There wasn't even a tour bus on the island. Any car with gas was a taxi at least for the day. When you looked into the water you could see the bottom and any other life contained there. This was part of an itinerary which we embarked in Valparaiso.

The largest hurdle for me is the colours that I see in the photos that I see of the Jewel. I hope that the reality is less psychedelic so that relaxing is an option.

I promise to be positive, I promise to be positive, I promise to be positive...

Fran

Hope you have a good trip, and that NCL won't be too much of a shock to your sensibilities.

We tried NCL twice, and didn't really care for their "freestyle" form of cruising. 1st time was on Windward, later stretched and renamed Norwegian Wind (which sounds like a flatulence problem).

2nd trip was on Norwegian Dream (Dreamward before being stretched).

There are lines we much prefer - great thing we have many choices.

I promise to be positive, I promise to be positive, I promise to be positive...Fran

One approach to this free cruise is to consider it a lab experiment, a great opportunity to research the reality of large ships. When I sailed on Celebrity Constellation in 2003, the Connie at 92,000gt was considered to be quite large and, since the price was right (less than $2,000 for a 14-day crossing), I signed up.

The ship was beautifully appointed in its interior design and only traditional dining was offered. I was interested to see if they could feed a huge number of pax with warm food mostly at the same time and, to a large extent, they did.

Since the cabins are a modular design, the bathrooms are usually bright and shiny and, uh, new. The ships may be mass market but usually there is a good marine architect putting the details together to please the passenger. On average, I find modern cabins to be more spacious than on our beloved "mature" ships and I like the new devotion to comfortable beds in cabins.

On the Connie, I had a cabin in the bow and the one thing I quickly learned was to be completely organized with what I needed for a half day. Just walking down the l-o-n-g corridor from bow to stern for dinner would have been easier with roller skates. Same theory with forgetting my book when I went to read on deck.

But I found that my one cruise on a behemoth was quite informative, completely painless, and helped solidify my personal thoughts about large ship, small ship. I'm glad I had that one opportunity to have a personal experience on a behemoth in order to understand what so many other folks are talking about.

Ruby

An article in this past Sunday's New York Times Travel Section was about "naturist", i.e. nudist, vacations some of which are aboard cruise ships. While nudity on passengers ships is not new (Moore McCormack's Argentina and Brasil each had a solarium in the faux funnel for this purpose upon their introduction in 1958 and some of Hapag Lloyd's ships have a "K Zone") the idea of all the passengers lounging around the ship in the all together is new. The only requirement is that passengers must embark and disembark clothed and dress for dinner as well. But this gives new meaning to casual free style cruising. One of these cruises will be on Celebrity Constellation in 2010. It is almost sold out.

I hope they keep the ship's AC appropriately adjusted.

While nudity on passengers ships is not new (Moore McCormack's Argentina and Brasil each had a solarium in the faux funnel for this purpose upon their introduction in 1958 and some of Hapag Lloyd's ships have a "K Zone") the idea of all the passengers lounging around the ship in the all together is new. The only requirement is that passengers must embark and disembark clothed and dress for dinner as well. But this gives new meaning to casual free style cruising.

This is not an option for me as the (un)dress is in poor repair and needs pressing. This takes freestyle to the limit.

Fran

I have no personal knowledge, but have been told that the "naturalist" crowds are instructed to place towels on the seat cushions before sitting down!

I would need much more specific information about my dining room chair, like photos with time stamps, before I sat down to be served. The stunning effect of my full couture outfit would be diminished if I were to carry in my own towel.

Ruby

The only requirement is that passengers must embark and disembark clothed and dress for dinner as well.

Ruby, No need to fuss with your "full couture outfit". Balenciaga will do. I think that it would be wonderful for my diet.

Fran

Disney World is such a perfect place. Sunshine, blue skies, your favourite cartoon characters frolicking through the park, vendor carts with yummy food, immaculate clean sidewalks, perfectly manicured verdant gardens, theme restaurants, abfab entertainment venues - everything to make the guest feel cosseted in a safe, dreamlike environment.

RCI and Carnival present similar images to the ocean-going public which largely does not want to know that they are "on the water." So I have questions: When a cruise line announces a multi-million dollar upgrade or refit, the puff pieces issued by the cruise line always talk in velvet tones about the glories of "newer, better, nicer." The corporate public relation types pump out information about upgraded luxuries for the passengers - everybody will want to try out our new FlowRider, bowling alley, billiards room!

Does any cruise line ever say that their choice of azipods was lousy and they have to replace them, or that they're "upgrading" from Bunker C to cheaper fuel? They don’t hesitate to brag about "going green" while making huge fuel savings for the corporation.

In your opinion, are the high-dollar renovations mostly about hotel upgrades onboard? Maybe they do the mechanicals during dry-dock and keep the problems to be resolved under their chins and out of the public eye?

I loved Disney World because I picked up the most wonderful phrase. On the monorail, a recorded announcement says in the most genteel, concerned female voice, "For your personal safety and comfort, please be seated so the monorail can leave the station." Instead of some teenybopper conductor shouting for all of us to "sit down!"

How do the major cruise lines cover up ugly mechanical problems, design flaws, poor execution of a newbuild? The silence is deafening.

Ruby

Ruby, I can't possibly imagine that any cruise lines have problems which require upgrading, repairs or replacement. If they do, they bring it into dry-dock while making major enhancements to the cabins or public areas with wonderful announcements of the newest concept and great fanfare to divert any possible attention from the work on the "innards".

Now what problem were you speaking about? I can't understand where you got that information. Everything is just perfect, thank you.

Fran

Now what problem were you speaking about? I can't understand where you got that information. Everything is just perfect, thank you. Fran

Ah, Fran, you sly boots! You get it! You really get it!

Ruby

After spending a lot of time on the Orient Lines board and lately on this thread I decided to check out the board of the line which I will be taking (I think). My ports of call boards have been Europe and South America and now I am checking out the Caribbean.

I can not believe the tone and often the questions which are of prime importance. Should I take an AA or AC balcony or should I get a butler? Am I missing something? Are we discussing cruising that has a classless society? Are you aware that your butler can get you the earliest tender tickets?

I have just found a site that tells you which ships will be in port when you will be and the max # of pax. It is www.porttime.com I intend to remain on the ship in most ports because the streets should be packed with cruisers and this is somewhat frightening.

I hope that everyone is having a great time and great weather as I have missed you all.

Fran

After spending a lot of time on the Orient Lines board and lately on this thread I decided to check out the board of the line which I will be taking (I think). My ports of call boards have been Europe and South America and now I am checking out the Caribbean.

I can not believe the tone and often the questions which are of prime importance. Should I take an AA or AC balcony or should I get a butler? Am I missing something? Are we discussing cruising that has a classless society? Are you aware that your butler can get you the earliest tender tickets?

I hope that everyone is having a great time and great weather as I have missed you all.

Fran

Hello, Fran. Sorry to be among the missing but I wandered over to the "Northern Europe" board a few days ago and got involved in some fun discussions of Scandanavia and Iceland and Greenland. My fingers got so tired from typing that I failed to hold up the side on my own thread.

Ah, the Caribbean. I like the posts that ask what the weather will be. Then there are the endless discussions of "bucket o' beer" and the ever-popular "smuggling booze onboard." Now with mass markets changing their smoking policies to non, the boards are lighted up with rage and, at a minimum, indignation.

My all-time favourite post was a thread asking, "What will the weather be on April 23 -26, 2009?"

When do we learn the cruise line that you have picked? I'm on tenterhooks and gosh, it's uncomfortable.

Ruby

When do we learn the cruise line that you have picked? I'm on tenterhooks and gosh, it's uncomfortable.

Ruby, Sorry, I thought you knew. I won a free Caribbean cruise on NCL while on the Marco Polo final cruise. As NCL owned Orient Lines they pushed their own products too. I have chosen the NCL Jewel's " Southern Caribbean Round trip Miami". his was chosen because the only port that I wanted to see in that area is Barbados. I know a lot of very wonderful people from there and knew that I wanted to see it. I may take a local bus or just sit and have my cuppa. I want to drink in the atmosphere.

Oh well this is a gift to a friend of mine who enjoys such things. I may go to swim with the sea turtles but beaches do not really interest me for lying around and getting the rays. Snorkeling is a possibility. I haven't seen any excursions that were particularly interesting.

Oh well! you trip sounds delicious. I really enjoy the various civilizations. I wish that I were going but my tune-up is this week. In Canada we cannot get travel insurance if we have had a meds change in the previous 3 months.

Gee! I hope that I do not sound like "an effete snob" as Spiro Agnew said.

Fran

Ruby, Sorry, I thought you knew. I won a free Caribbean cruise on NCL while on the Marco Polo final cruise. Oh well! you trip sounds delicious. I really enjoy the various civilizations. I wish that I were going but my tune-up is this week. In Canada we cannot get travel insurance if we have had a meds change in the previous 3 months.

My face is red. I was knee-deep in an abstract Scandanavian snow when I asked about your Caribbean cruise and, of course, I did know about it.

By the bye, have you ever done a "Christmas Markets" cruise? That's what we were discussing over on the Northern Europe boards. After reading their discussions about the winter wonderland that is Scandanavia, I have a passing interest in a cruise during Christmas Markets that sail from Oslo south to Bruges. Flaming torches being lit along the wharf with a light snow falling? Sounds devoon.

All best wishes for this week's "tune-up."

Ruby

Have y'all tried this website? It shows which ships are in what port on what date for the next two years.

GUESS WHAT!!! When I sail out of Civitavecchia on May 20th next year on Prinsendam, I'll get to see the real live Voyager OTS!! An honest-to-gosh behemoth! Little RVL Sun, uh, sorry, Prinsendam, will look like a bath-tub toy next to Voyager. And one of the Carnival ships will be in port also. Eventually we catch up with Splendour OTS - what fun! I'm sure the behemoth crowd will be laughing at my tiny ship and I'll take great pride in that fact.

So try www.porttime.com and check it out. It's tons o' fun!

Ruby

I doubt that those on the huge ship will laugh - but might look with jealous

feelings, knowing you are on a real ship, not a floating apartment house.

You know my feelings about those big ships - if it can't fit through the current locks of the Panama Canal, it is too damn big!

I assume Voyager is so large that they could pop Prinsendam onto their conveyor belt and load her easily into one of their holds?

I'm just so excited. I finally get to see - live and in person - a behemoth. I've seen photos of them in the Virgin Islands and in Alaska, but now - stand back, folks, she's gonna see one in Italia.

Do you get a neckache trying to crane your head up to to view the upper decks? Do the acres of white blind you? Does the passenger gangway make pax look like ants - except you're the ant?

Ruby