Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Hi Ruby. Ventura is very similar to the Grand Princess - same design of hull, but designed inside "to appeal to British passengers" whatever that is supposed to mean. She is also designed to appeal to a new cruise market - especially families, so there is lots for children to do - including a circus school etc. One of my favourite sensations on board ship is bare feet on a warm teak deck. Oriana and Aurora have beautiful broad wooden promenade decks. Ventura has a narrow apology of a promenade deck and the flooring is not teak but a plasticy finish imitating teak. Worse (to me ) is that the upper sun decks are astroturf (fake grass). This was horrible and squelchy when wet. Because Ventura is aimed at a new market, lots of traditional shipboard activities are no more - no card room, shuffleboard and deck quoits were a disaster on the plastic decking etc. Having said that, the cabins were very nice and I do like the hospitality trays in the cabins, that you don't get on US ships often. She is just too big for me - 3500 passengers. I only did the two night pre-maiden cruise to Bruges and back, but friends on board for the maiden to the Med, said she does not handle rough seas well either - but then a lot of these new huge ships which are all superstructure and little draught, don't handle rough weather well. I would not want to do a TA on her. These are of course only my views. My friend just back, loved every bit of her. Just as well we don't all want the same thing from our ships.

I know what you mean about the class distinctions on Cunard, but I do so love the QE2, I couldn't let her go without a last cruise or two on her. In my view, nothing can beat the feeling of being on QE2 at full speed - 32 knots. She truly is a greyhound of the seas.

More photos - Ventura

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/VenturaWelcomeCruise

Rather than using real teak wood (now very expensive), a manmade plastic-like laminate was used for decking on Ventura.

I'm not sure, but I believe it has been used on HAL's Vista class ships, as well as the new Queen Victoria.

Rather akin to that home patio Trex decking (if that is how it is spelled).

I know what you mean about the class distinctions on Cunard, but I do so love the QE2, I couldn't let her go without a last cruise or two on her. In my view, nothing can beat the feeling of being on QE2 at full speed - 32 knots. She truly is a greyhound of the seas. More photos - Ventura

What is a "hospitality tray?" Details, please.

As everyone knows on this thread, I am living in the past with my cruise experiences and, as I've said before, will be happy to be off the water by the time the last small, affordable ship leaves the high seas, give or take Seabourn and Regent and the next New Thing. But I do enjoy hearing personal comments about the new behemoths.

Thanks for your comments about QE2 - class distinctions and greyhound speed. I tend to forget about her magnificent speed but have shied away from what I think of as the "Grill system" on the ships. My observation over the years is that people talk about their cabins onboard QE2 but the quickest way to discern their "level" is to ask where they dined. Which I find most peculiar in today's politically correct world.

Fran - when you go on your free cruise, you must bring back notes to us. And I hope you are doing well these days - please let us know, we welcome highs and lows on this thread.

Ruby

Well I shall be travelling steerage!!, although I have got a twin cabin to myself as they had sold out of singles when I booked on the day bookings opened! I did dine in the Caronia Restaurant last time as it was a three week cruise to the USA and I wanted the extra cabin space and thought a nice leisurely single sitting for dinner would be lovely. It was a disaster though as my table companions firstly had a row on the second day (they had only met the day before) so two of the 8 left. The others complained about the service being slow because they just wanted to eat as fast as possible and go off and do other things. I do hope this time will be better!

Sorry - a hospitality tray has a kettle, cafetiere, mugs, biscuits, tea, coffee and hot chocolate, so you can make yourself a drink in he cabin without having to wait for room service or go to a restaurant or bar.

By the way , QE2 is a small ship by today's standards and she certainly looks it next to some of the new ones - half the size of QM2.

I did dine in the Caronia Restaurant last time as it was a three week cruise to the USA and I wanted the extra cabin space and thought a nice leisurely single sitting for dinner would be lovely. It was a disaster though as my table companions firstly had a row on the second day (they had only met the day before) so two of the 8 left.

Your dining experience in Caronia - tough crowd! I haven't heard of a table dissembling so quickly before. It happens all the time but a 24-hour turnaround is quite brisk.

I enjoyed your pix of Ventura but wasn't able to sort out the hospitality tray so thanks for that.

About steerage - that is all I ever sailed until Oceania ran out of inside cabins and I took an oceanview. One of the major reasons I like the Saga Sisters is that, for the 30 days I have spent on them, I have never heard one single word about "we're in the penthouse" or any braggadocio about any cabin. Here in the States, in years past, people have cashing in their home equity to spend on the penthouse suites then come home to "mention" it. Which is why I have avoided the Queens and the preening about which dining room they were in. Yes, I get tired of faux snobs.

Ruby

Teresa, have you popped over to our thread yet? I believe that Druke I has sailed the Baltics at least once; as I mentioned, I have not been in that area. Perhaps you can talk to him about your upcoming Eurodam cruise. If you have questions, ask away and welcome.

Ruby

Actually we have sailed the Baltics twice.

First time, 5-99, on NCL's Norwegian Dream. Loved the itinerary, but did not care for the ship, nor NCL's "freestyle".

2nd time, 8-05, on Oceania's Regatta. Loved both the ship & itinerary.

Both trips went through the Kiel Canal, a highlight of the voyage!

Eurodam will be too big to fit through the Kiel.

I cruised the Baltic on Vistafjord (Saga Ruby) way back in the 1970s. We sailed through the Kiel Canal too - a wonderful experience akin to river cruising for a day and yet another reason to sail on smaller ships.

Last week was my first voyage up the West Coast from San Diego to Vancouver. As I had anticipated, sailing against the Pacific Current caused Ryndam to pitch heavily at the bow and stern. However, she did not roll sideways. The pitching was extreme to the point that passengers were unable to dance to the band in the Ocean Bar. The weather was cloudy and chilly, but without rain.

What a vast difference from the torridly hot weather in the calm Sea of Cortez! It was also my first time in that sea, and I found it interesting when the ship sailed by Isla Partida, which showed evidence of violent tectonic activity and breakage from the mainland millennia ago. I would cruise in the Sea of Cortez again.

Donald.

Going North along the Left Coast, you are "fighting" the Japanese Current, which flows South.

It is almost always rougher northbound than southbound, and often quite rough transiting the "potato patch" outside the Golden Gate, where the waters of the Japanese Current collide with the outflow from San Francisco Bay, which is fed by the San Joaquin and Sacramento Rivers.

Going North along the Left Coast, you are "fighting" the Japanese Current, which flows South.

It is almost always rougher northbound than southbound, and often quite rough transiting the "potato patch" outside the Golden Gate, where the waters of the Japanese Current collide with the outflow from San Francisco Bay, which is fed by the San Joaquin and Sacramento Rivers.

Thank you, Michael, for the correct name of the southward-flowing current ... so, it's Japanese Current, not Pacific Current.

That's right, I remembered when we sailing past San Francisco that the waters were exceptionally rough. No complaints at all from me, though ... the pitching of the ship made me feel that I was actually at sea.

Here are three photographs which I took as we cruised past Isla Partida (English: Divided Island) in the Sea of Cortez, showing different interesting geological formations along its shore.

Donald.

636084518_z2008_0430_IslaPartida2.jpg.653932930a3abfd923a74cb129d7fab6.jpg

663575455_z2008_0430_IslaPartida3.jpg.4fae8e833201269d5df5a5d1abd2a3c6.jpg

928485587_a2008_0430IslaPartida1.jpg.21bc24bb3b7015540ba429ade8573142.jpg

Here are three photographs which I took as we cruised past Isla Partida (English: Divided Island) in the Sea of Cortez, showing different interesting geological formations along its shore. Donald.

Two months ago, I read John Steinbeck's Log of the Sea of Cortez which he wrote in 1940, shortly before Pearl Harbor. Steinbeck joined a close friend of his, a marine biologist, who was going to gather samples of marine life in that bay. Steinbeck's account of that brief voyage makes riveting reading.

I started to read the book then stopped, because there were several pre-chapters by famous authors, a long acknowlegment, Steinbeck's foreword, and one of the first words he used constantly was "littorals." After wading thru most of the pre-chapters, then seeing constant use of a word I didn't know, came close to my passing on the book.

But, nothing daunted. Webster's informed me that "littoral" means "of, relating to, situated or growing on or near a shore, esp. the sea." Having made a giant word forward, I tackled this small book and was delighted to be a silent passenger along with that small crew of men searching out unknown marine life in the Sea of Cortez. The crew found endless varieties of previously undiscovered sea life in addition to making the acquaintance, both positive and negative, of various Mexican citizens who lived in and along the littoral of the Sea of Cortez.

I have long since forgotten the density of knowledge, the sublety of prose, the educated musings of a talented author. It was refreshing to go back to those golden days of yesteryear to enjoy a fine author with much of interest on his mind. And I like Donald's photos of Isla Partida because it reminded me of that wonderful book.

Ruby

About steerage - that is all I ever sailed until Oceania ran out of inside cabins and I took an oceanview. One of the major reasons I like the Saga Sisters is that, for the 30 days I have spent on them, I have never heard one single word about "we're in the penthouse" or any braggadocio about any cabin. Here in the States, in years past, people have cashing in their home equity to spend on the penthouse suites then come home to "mention" it. Which is why I have avoided the Queens and the preening about which dining room they were in. Yes, I get tired of faux snobs.

Only once did I hear about the Sky deck accommodation on the Marco Polo but I must admit it was in answer to my DH's question. I have sailed in Oceanview before I realized that there were a few cabins which were designated single cabins albeit inside. These did not have the dreaded single supplement attached so I could go on an extra cruise.

Ruby, I just love your expression "faux snobs". Does this statement give credence to snobs or are they all faux and made of plastic? This scares me when I go on the NCL boards.

I, too have been to the Baltic. We went in 2002 on the MP through the Kiel Canal. The best thing that I ever learned on Cruise Critic was to get a private tour for St. Petersburg. It made the entire experience for us.

Fran

What a vast difference from the torridly hot weather in the calm Sea of Cortez! It was also my first time in that sea, and I found it interesting when the ship sailed by Isla Partida, which showed evidence of violent tectonic activity and breakage from the mainland millennia ago. I would cruise in the Sea of Cortez again. Donald.

Donald, tell me about your cruise in the Sea of Cortez. Did y'all go far up into the "bay" or touch the two coastlines? The Steinbeck book had an excellent map of that area and we readers got used to referring back and forth to it. That exploratory expedition sailed both sides and came close to the far northern part of the Sea and surrounds. You said you would like to cruise there again - were you looking to cover more of that sea area inside the Bay?

You have me laughing - the concept of a Texan voluntarily going to "torridly hot weather" is a crack-up. Our idea of good weather is Alaska in the summertime.

Ruby,I just love your expression "faux snobs". Does this statement give credence to snobs or are they all faux and made of plastic? This scares me when I go on the NCL boards.

The phrase "nouveau riche" was used back in the day but, in my opinion, that status has devolved into faux snobbery. I think the gangsta rappers put "paid" to the idea of a high income level indicating a certain level of social etiquette. It is nice to have social etiquette which can be put away at will, but the popular phrase among many of the population is, "I don't care." Which works just fine until that job interview or the possibility of climbing the next rung of that corporate ladder looms on the horizon.

When I sail on my small ships, I am basically hiding from the faux snobs. And I find it convenient to avoid the late-night bars which allows me to live in my own little bubble and enjoy my cruise. No one reading this thread will be surprised to learn that my ships are mostly buttoned up by midnight.

Ruby

Donald, tell me about your cruise in the Sea of Cortez. Did y'all go far up into the "bay" or touch the two coastlines?

You have me laughing - the concept of a Texan voluntarily going to "torridly hot weather" is a crack-up. Our idea of good weather is Alaska in the summertime.

On the recent cruise, Ryndam touched only at La Paz. I did not bother to disembark there, as seasoned passengers assured me that it was not worth visiting. One would have to go to La Paz from the dock by bus or water taxi. There was a small structure at the dock containing shops, plus booths along the water hawking trinkets.

Next year, Ryndam will add two days to the repositioning cruise, visiting Topolobampo for an optional Copper Canyon Tour, and Loreto for a scenic cruise along Sierra de la Giganta. I am considering cancelling my booking on Mercury's repositioning cruise to chilly Alaska in May 2009 in preference for this.

After all, I love torridly hot climes which Texans eschew. :D This year Vancouver had its chilliest Spring in about 25 years. The overabundance of Mexican sunlight was the perfect antidote to my depression under Vancouver's persistent clouds, chilliness and rain.

Donald.

Ruby, One of my table mates put paid to the question of what he did for a living. He answered "I was an underwear model" This always ended that type of question.

I think the gangsta rappers put "paid" to the idea of a high income level indicating a certain level of social etiquette.

I never thought of it in quite that way. It certainly is true.

I remember hearing this story on the radio when I was in my early twenties. (A few days ago) A man walked into an automobile dealership in Scandinavia. He was looking a bit scruffy in his pea coat and stocking cap. He tried unsuccessfully to get a salesman's attention. This went on for a while until he gave up and walked across the street to another dealership.

He was able to be served in the appropriate time and made his purchase to the benefit of the new salesman.

Apparently the man was a sailor on a commercial fishing vessel which had had an especially good season. Each sailor was given a very large bonus and elected the one sailor to purchase new cars for all of them. With the sale of 23 new automobiles, the sales man at the second dealership and his boss had learned not to judge people from the way they dressed.

I always keep the story with me to remind myself not to be judgemental. Perhaps that is another reason that I liked being on the MP.

Fran

Ruby, One of my table mates put paid to the question of what he did for a living. He answered "I was an underwear model" This always ended that type of question.

How adroit of that guy! When I am on cruises, I'm not the slightest interest about what my table mates do for their living, and I've never asked. However, some of them do ask me, and even after I've explained that I have been retired for three years, they chip away with "What did you do?" Hmm ... "I was an underwear model" sounds really good!

Donald.

The other day you mentioned the word "littoral".

At the moment, that is a big word in the lexicon of US Navy Admirals. It has been proposed to build a whole bunch of "Littoral Control Ships", which would be shallow draft vessels somewhat smaller than a Frigate, but larger than a Gunboat, somewhat lighter armed than the current destroyers and cruisers, and able to navigate and fight in the shallow waters which are often found closer to shorelines.

If built, they would be new class for the US Navy, and likely the class name would be LCS. Several ship design firms and shipyards have entered the

design/proposal arena.

". . an underwear model." Brilliant answer and a real show-stopper. Donald, I agree with you - when I meet people, I take them as presented then modify my first impression if an acquaintance evolves. I highly recommend visiting onboard ship with our Michael who is a hoot when he starts talking about having a career in the People's Republic of Berkeley (CA).

Fran has reminded me of a story about Mr. Stanley (Marcus). At Christmastime one year, a bag lady was wandering around the original Neiman-Marcus in downtown Dallas. No one would wait on her. Mr. Stanley approached her and asked if he could help her. She said she had come in from East Texas and wanted to buy some gifts for her family but didn’t know what she could afford. She handed the paper bag to Mr. Stanley who counted $50,000 in oil field money.

When my family was in Rio (de J) in the 70s, we were walking around looking in jewelry stores. My father didn’t like H.Stern because it was too commercial. He was dressed in a Greek sailor’s cap, blue-and-white, horizontally striped T-shirt, and baggy trousers. He was clean but he did not look prosperous at all. And yet every time we walked in to a store, the clerks rushed up to wait on him. Back at the hotel, I asked him how the clerks knew he could afford their sparklies. His answer, "The camera bag," which was stamped "Zeiss."

Donald - I always wanted a tee that read "Topolobampo" and one that said "Zamboanga." But I had to give up the idea about visiting Zamboanga when I learned that Filipino pirates in helos were dropping into that very remote spot of the Philippines and kidnapping either the wife or the husband off the beach. The going rate for retrieval of the spouse was $100,000.

I have been the grateful beneficiary of good advice from natives as I travel. When a friend said, "Do not go to Zamboanga," I believed him. And I was told in Hong Kong by local friends that I must not travel to Macau as I was a single woman traveling alone. They were worried about my safety. So I have not been to Macau but am so appreciative of those kindnesses.

It’s fun to read your notes about Topo, La Paz, Prieto, and Copper Canyon. Steinbeck and his friend did a lot of marine research but they also took the time to scout out that literal desert. Or is that littoral?

Ruby

Did Steinbeck write anything about Copper Canyon in Topolobampo? I am wondering if it is worth a look-see.Donald

Hey! That was five books ago! But I ran "John Steinbeck" and "Copper Canyon" on the Web and refreshed my memory. Steinbeck had recently written Grapes of Wrath. He and his friend, Ed Ricketts, hired a fishing boat out of Monterey CA to make an informal marine life survey altho' Steinbeck admitted that the biology part of the trip was an excuse for the charter, not a formal biology study. Digression - Steinbeck used Ricketts as the template for characters in several of his novels, deservedly so. And yes, they did explore Copper Canyon plus many of the tiny towns perched along the sandy coastline of the gulf.

The one caution I will make is that Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts co-authored an extensive diary of their Sea of Cortez journey, then later on Steinbeck wrote The Log from the Sea of Cortez which is a much shorter version - about 240 pages. I handily sidestepped the long version and chose to read the Steinbeck/Cliff Notes version.

I scanned some of the marine biology pages and paragraphs because I bought the book for the tourist's aspect of their journey. The marvelous map in the front of the book is what hangs in my mind, along with the astute observations of a topnotch writer. Steinbeck many times waxes philosophical which I found fascinating, but if that's not your cuppa, run "Copper Canyon" on the Web and you'll have endless sources of information.

Ruby

Did you enjoy your Greenland/Iceland voyage last year, despite the rough seas?

Okay, I have to vent, I'm laughing so hard. As you can imagine, more and more folks are visiting Iceland and Greenland so more questions are being asked on these boards about those countries. My apologies to Marion for pulling her quote off this thread from awhile back but it was too good to pass up.

I recently saw a post saying that they were leaving "Thursday" for Greenland on their way back to the States. Their ship would be in Qaqortoq and "what restaurants and shopping is there in the city?" Which makes this post my second favourite post of all time which was, "Weather in April 23-29, 2009?"

But seriously now, folks. You may be interested to learn that Delta will be announcing a nonstop from Atlanta to Cairo. I might actually be interested in that one. I wanna try a Nile River cruise and a felucca. I would much rather spend the time incountry than do the 6-hour dash from port to Luxor and pretend I have seen Egypt.

Michael, have you and Virginia done the Nile cruise? I know Rickey 88 and his wife enjoyed their cruise so much and his photos look like they've been issued by the Egyptian tourism board.

Ruby