Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Fran - have you established a room or a wall in your home for your Marco Polo souvenirs?

I am not quite that organized. I am still in the gathering stage as I have things from my previous cruises. I will then decide what and how to display them. I also am planning to do a map of the world with color coordinated tacks for places that I have been to. I will have separate colours for cruise travel, car trips, land trips. Unfortunately my ideas are more prolific than my ability to accomplish them.

Our crossing was very smooth, perhaps the second smoothest out of the half dozen transAtlantics we have done.

I am so happy that things went well for you. Our crossing was very good. We crossed just below the equator. Does that impact on the smoothness of the sea?

Fran

I don't believe the Equator itself has any affect of sea state, however, being on the other side of it does put you in a different position relative to the moon, which is what is said to affect the tides.

Being a non-scientific type, I don't understand how the moon affects the tides, but those who know says it does! (After all, the word lunatic relates to lunar, and if the full moon affects human behavior, and I think it does, who is to say the moon does not affect the tides?)

Our smoothest transAtlantic, 3-98, on the late great Royal Princess did cross the South Atlantic, Recife Brazil to Dakar Senegal, on a trip from Buenos Aires Argentina to Barcelona Spain.

Our roughest transAtlantic was 8-02, on Golden Princess, Venice to NYC. That trip was smooth out to the Azores, and very rough West of the Azores.

I also am planning to do a map of the world with color coordinated tacks for places that I have been to. I will have separate colours for cruise travel, car trips, land trips.

Fran

This is an interesting site which allows you to generate a world map highlighting all the countries you've visited. I don't know that you can color coordinate them, still it's fun to see how much of the earth you've covered.

Being a non-scientific type, I don't understand how the moon affects the tides, but those who know says it does!

In today's Parade magazine, Marilyn vos Savant stated that the gravitational effect of the moon causes our oceans to lift upward, not sideways, creating tides. I found that factoid quite interesting. Michael, did your Regatta crossing stop at any islands or ports that you have not visited before?

This is an interesting site which allows you to generate a world map highlighting all the countries you've visited. I don't know that you can color coordinate them, still it's fun to see how much of the earth you've covered.

I enjoyed that map. It amuses me to participate in these kinds of travel sites. There is a Travelers Century Club that has a list of countries to be visited and, when you reach 100, you can join their club. In Conte's list, the Faroe Islands is included while in the TCC list, the Orkney Islands is listed, but not each in both. Oh those crazy criteria!

Ruby

Only one stop on our crossing from Miami to Barcelona, and that was Funchal Madeira.

We had been to Funchal before - I just sat in the square and watched the locals walk by, while Virginia went exploring and found a flower stand - she wanted some flowers to brighten the cabin.

Hotels also does not charge singles double occupancy rate for booking their rooms. I've been in hotel rooms with two double beds and paid only the per person rate. Donald.

I think I started out with a premium of 120% on Royal Viking and Sun Line. Recently, it's a cheerful 200% on my cruises although HAL charged me "only" 175% for May 2009.

In trying to fight back about single supplements, I ask about sales, specials, or last-minute deals. The problem is that my ships sail full, no need for discounts. And I've never had an upgrade.

But we all know that there will be no deal for solo passengers when the cruise line can sell that cabin for that price and know they are going to get it, regardless of the number of occupants for that cabin.

I am so envious of those who enjoy discounts and upgrades but have learned to bite the bullet to enjoy my cruising experiences. If it ain't me in that cabin, someone else and their Significant Other will be happy to pay the price.

Ruby

Ruby, the fact of the 175% or 200% supplements for solo cruisers unfortunately will stay, because, as you said, there are plenty of us who are willing to keep a stiff upper lip and cough up the cash.

On another matter, on the front page of this morning's Vancouver Sun is the headline: "RCMP wants floating home for 2010 security." Apparently, the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) "is in need of an entire cruise ship - maybe even two or more - to house security personnel during the Games ... This is merely a response to what will be an unprecedented hotel-room squeeze in the city in 2010 ... when 250,000 visitors are expected to come to Vancouver, chartering a cruise ship is probably a cheaper way to go."

I wonder which cruise ships will be floating in the Pacific off Vancouver's docks? It should be interesting!

Donald.

The cartoon on the editorial page of this morning's Vancouver Sun dealt with RCMP's intention to charter a cruise ship. I hope that you can read the text in the balloons. On the T-shirts of some of the staff in the bottom frame are: Ship Ahoy!, Surf's Up, Sea Ya! & Anchors Aweigh!

LOL!!

Donald.

xcartoon.jpg.117e8fba299a34b528a52523503f609c.jpg

That cartoon strip is a hoot and easily read. My only suggestion for housing the RCMP was to tow Queen Mary out of Long Beach and park her at Canada Place for the duration.

By the bye, are you Canadians planning protests when the Olympic torch arrives in Vancouver? Protesting about too much clean air, blue skies, beautiful scenery?

Ruby

Ruby, I was thinking more of towing the United States to Vancouver and installing bunk beds and McDonald's for the RCMP. :D Better than letting that historical ship continue to rust.

I don't believe that Vancouver is on the Olympic Torch itinerary. After San Francisco the Torch goes to a city somewhere in South America, maybe Rio or Buenos Aires. I'm sure, though, with Chinese now comprising a large portion of Vancouver's population there would have been protests had the Torch been here.

Donald.

When, exactly, does the ship report for hotel duty in Dubai? I see that Her Majesty will be going to Southampton on June 2nd to bid the ship a fond farewell, and yet I thought I saw roll calls on the Cunard board that extend into the fall.

Obviously Cunard is squeezing every single penny out of the Farewell to QE2 before turning her over to the UAE.

Anybody know the date of her final voyage and arrival in Dubai?

Ruby

QE2's last voyage departs Southampton on 11 November 2008 and she will arrive in Dubai on 27 November 2008.

Here is the schedule for her final season; final calls in bold:

28 Apr - 05 May E803N Iberia in Bloom

Southampton-La Rochelle-Le Verdon-Bilbao-La Coruña-Lisbon-Southampton

05 May - 21 May E804 Mediterranean Adventure

Southampton-Lisbon-Gibraltar-Valetta-Dubrovnik-Trieste-Split-Corfu-Cadiz-Southampton

21 May - 02 Jun E805 Mediterranean Treasures

Southampton-Naples-Civitaecchia-Livorno-Cannes-Barcelona-Gibraltar-Southampton

02 Jun - 15 Jun E806 Land of the Midnight Sun

Southampton-Bergen-Trondheim-Gravdal-Longyearbyen-Tromso-Hellesylt-Geiranger-Stavanger-Southampton

15 Jun - 25 Jun E807 Atlantic Isles Idyll

Southampton-Bilbao-Funchal-Santa Cruz de Tenerife-Las Palmas-Lisbon-Southampton

25 Jun - 02 Jul E808 Norwegian Wonders

Southampton-Bergen-Hellesylt-Geiranger-Flåm-Stavanger-Southampton

02 Jul - 17 Jul E809 Mediterranean Splendour

Southampton-Lisbon-Caligari-Corfu-Dubrovnik-Trieste-Valetta-Gibraltar-Southampton

17 Jul - 20 Jul E810 Summer Getaway

Southampton-Rotterdam-Zeebrugge-Southampton

20 Jul - 31 Jul E811 Mediterranean Mosaic

Southampton-Lisbon-Propriano-Civitavecchia-Monte Carlo-Barcelona-Gibraltar-Southampton

31 Jul - 12 Aug E812 Lands of Fire and Ice

Southampton-Reykjavik-Akureyri-Hellesylt-Geiranger-Flåm-Stavanger-Oslo-Southampton

12 Aug - 22 Aug E813 A Taste of the Mediterranean I

Southampton-Lisbon-Alghero-Cannes-Barcelona-Gibraltar-Southampton

22 Aug - 27 Aug E814 Summer Getaway

Southampton-Bilbao-La Rochelle-St. Peter Port-Southampton

27 Aug - 10 Sep E815 Mediterranean Sojourn

Southampton-Lisbon-Caligari-Piraeus-Zakinthos-Palermo-Naples-Valencia-Southampton

10 Sep - 30 Sep E816 Autumn Colours

Southampton-New York-Newport-Boston-Bar Harbor-Saint John-Halifax-Quebec City-St.John's-Southampton

30 Sep - 10 Oct E817N British Isles Voyage

Southampton-Cherbourg-Cobh-Liverpool-Dublin-Belfast-Greenock-South Queensferry-Newcastle-Southampton

10 Oct - 16 Oct E818N Westbound Transatlantic Crossing

Southampton-New York

16 Oct - 22 Oct E818P Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing

New York-Southampton

22 Oct - 27 Oct E819 Autumn Getaway

Southampton-Bilbao-La Rochelle-St. Peter Port-Southampton

27 Oct - 11 Nov E820 Mediterranean Odyssey

Southampton-Lisbon-Caligari-Naples-Messina-Dubrovnik-Zakinthos-Piraeus-Gibraltar-Vigo-Southampton

11 Nov - 27 Nov E821 Voyage to Dubai

Southampton-Lisbon-Gibraltar-Civitavecchia-Naples-Valetta-Alexandria-Dubai

(I tried to format that in an easier-to-read way, but it doesn't seem to want to let me - sorry. :( )

Although not her last visit to the Port of New York, our local chapter of the Steamship Historical Society is having a cocktail reception on board. I'll be saying my fond farewell to the old girl.
Ah, we shall finally meet. :)

I will be bringing along my mom who has not been on the ship since a bon voyage party sometime in the 1978-1980 time period that she does not remember well. I am looking forward to showing her around.

Ah, we shall finally meet. :) I will be bringing along my mom who has not been on the ship since a bon voyage party sometime in the 1978-1980 time period that she does not remember well. I am looking forward to showing her around.

Are Society members going to feel sentimental or have more of an interest in souvenirs and photos during the get-together?

I wanted to thank Doug for those dropdead gorgeous pix of Saga Ruby sailing down the Seine. Wonderful photos.

For our British friends, I have a question. I have heard some Americans talking about "Soton" for "Southampton" and I saw one person take a run at calling that port "Shanks." Are either of these references a proper use, or are they more like Cockney rhyming slang?

Ruby

Are Society members going to feel sentimental or have more of an interest in souvenirs and photos during the get-together?
Interesting question.

Souvenirs would be difficult - the shops are usually closed in port. I imagine there will be a lot of photography going on, though, and of course everyone will probably feel sentimental. I know I certainly will, with the possibility (probability?) that it will be my very last visit to QE2. She is really an incomparable ship and I have been very, very fortunate to have the amazing experience of sailing in her.

I understand that there is an identifiable number of people who will be sad to see the QE2 leave service and become a hotel in Dubai.

But, like Fran, I have an attachment to the Saga Sisters and will probably greatly enjoy Prinsendam. I am fond of any cruise line or ship which has outstanding individual service which, by sheer numbers, quickly eliminates the apartment barges. I keep wondering what will happen to the barges in the years to come as they age out of service. How many Royal Caribbean barges can be converted to hotels all over the world?

Fran, have you looked around for your next favourite ship or cruise line?

Ruby

I understand that there are an identifiable number of people who will be sad to see the QE2 leave service and become a hotel in Dubai.

Ruby

Fate is going to be much kinder to QE2 than to some others. This is what became of my beloved Michelangelo as she was towed ignominiously from Iran to Pakistan for the coup de grace. QE2 will at least become a floating Lenin mausoleum for ocean liner fanatics to enjoy. Embalmed in Dubai!

Fran, have you looked around for your next favourite ship or cruise line?

No, I haven't been actively seeking a new ship. I still haven't decided whether or not to take the "free cruise from NCL" that I won. I need to figure out how much it will cost with everything and I don't like the Caribbean. As it is not transferable the only way to gift it is to take my friend with me. Personally we have nicer jewellery stores here in Toronto.

I am looking forward to hearing when the AegeanI will begin sailing and where. It looks small to go to places other than the Med. I am also waiting for a recent review of Discovery. Many Marco Polo regulars say that they will be looking forward to sailing on her.

I just received an e-mail from some MP friends saying that they are watching the changes from the Tahitian Princess to the Ocean Princess with new itineraries. Prinsendam is also a possibility but I have not seen any itineraries for any ship that tweak my wanderlust. First I must get my mobility tune-up. Had difficulty getting around to see the sights.

Fran

This is what became of my beloved Michelangelo as she was towed ignominiously from Iran to Pakistan for the coup de grace.

That is indeed a sad picture of Michelangelo, similar to that of Normandie being towed away from the pier after her salvage. :(

Donald.

Ah, we shall finally meet. :) I will be bringing along my mom who has not been on the ship since a bon voyage party sometime in the 1978-1980 time period that she does not remember well. I am looking forward to showing her around.

So - did you and your mom meet up with Conte? How did you find the ship - was she about the same or slowly mouldering?

Ruby

Ruby - I did meet Conte very briefly, but did not really have a chance to speak to him. At these events there are always so many people one wants to talk to and not enough in which to do it.

The ship looks great, no different than she did when I left her three months ago. She is in pretty good shape for an old lady!

Conte - It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday and I am very sorry (and a bit embarrassed) that I did not have time to chat. I hope to see you again soon and to be able to have a conversation next time!