News - Alleged Assault & Drugs on Pacific Star

Below is a news item from the news.com.au website:

Teen claims sexual assault on P&O ship

By Rachael Langford

January 27, 2007 08:19pm

Article from: AAP

A 16-year-old girl has claimed she was sexually assaulted onboard a P&O cruise ship, police have said.

Six detectives from the Queensland Police Service State Crime Operations Command boarded the vessel, believed to be the Pacific Star, late yesterday at Gladstone, north of Brisbane, to conduct an investigation, police said.

At this stage police have found no evidence to charge any person in relation to the sexual assault allegation.

During the investigation, a 23-year-old NSW man was arrested and charged with possession of a dangerous drug.

This charge is unrelated to the alleged sexual assault.

It is believed the cruise ship docked in Brisbane today.

Police have praised P&O crew for quickly notifying police and assisting the investigation.

However, the claim will further tarnish P&O's reputation following the death of 42-year-old mother of three Dianne Brimble in 2002.

She died naked on the floor of a cabin on the Pacific Sky.

An inquest into Mrs Brimble's death has been ongoing in Sydney over several months before NSW Deputy State Coroner Jacqueline Milledge.

i was on this cruise.. had a fantastic time (review later).. i was friends with the girl this happened to, so i know what happened..

she didnt deserve what happened to her, but she put herself into that position, she knows it as well.. last thing i heard was she didnt want charges layed she just wanted things kept quiet (over and done with).. this cruise was mainly families and people over 50.. many times the night club closed early because there was nobody in there.. its just the few bad people that seem 2 wreck the cruise for others.. by the way.. security was strict but really nice people

i was on this cruise.. had a fantastic time (review later).. i was friends with the girl this happened to, so i know what happened..

she didnt deserve what happened to her, but she put herself into that position, she knows it as well.. last thing i heard was she didnt want charges layed she just wanted things kept quiet (over and done with).. this cruise was mainly families and people over 50.. many times the night club closed early because there was nobody in there.. its just the few bad people that seem 2 wreck the cruise for others.. by the way.. security was strict but really nice people

Thankyou for your very honest reply.

The media will always have a different story than the truth as it sells. If this incident had not been on a P&O ship it wouldn't have made the headlines.

No matter what position your girlfriend put herself in, no one deserves to be assaulted and she shouldn't blame herself for the actual assault. It is her choice to take the matter further although if her injuries were serious the police may take it on.

Good to know security was tight, they do a great job, but they can't be everywhere and who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

I hope your girlfriend is doing ok and has the support she needs.

Chez

HI everyone - when I got online this morning there was further news - that poor girl - I feel so sorry for her and her family. My thoughts go out to her - nobody deserves to be assualted in this way. The latest news from news.com is on the link bleow:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21129137-2,00.html

From what I have read, it is a credit to P & O for the fast action that they took once it was reported. I just hope it is dealt with quickly and the young girl is given the support and help she will need to move on with her life is a safe and secure way without her unforunate experience being sensationalised by the media.

Well it's made the front page of the Sunday telegraph in Sydney.

Less focus should be on P&O and more on these idiots that think boarding a cruise ship gives them the right to assualt, get intoxicated and generally ruin others cruise experience. I'm not saying intoxication is the problem here, but in general it leads to unacceptable behaviour. Most of us love to have a drink, me included, but when it leads to these types of incidents it's just pathetic.

Chez

this is fkd (sorry bout the language)im really not happy.. this family wanted to leave all this behind and forget about it.. they were surprised when i told them that the media wanted to speak 2 my family and tell them what we knew.. how can people do this..

her parents werent happy with her at first.. but only angry with the situation n this is why she tried going overboard.. security was around her 24/7 after that.. why cant the media just leave it alone

So where did the drugs come from?????........ maybe P&O should wake up to the fact that not only can you buy drugs worldwide you CAN also buy them here in Australia and when getting back onboard the ship no matter what port you are in the sniffer dogs should be there....... As to the reported incident whether it was rape or just a regretful act the very young girl has found herself involved in just maybe next time someone will be looking out for her a little better. The cruise we were on a woman at the lunch table boasted that her 14 year old daughter didnt get back to the cabin till 4.00am.... she laughed whilst telling us.....when asked where her daughter had been she said just hanging out on the ship with her new friends .......!!!!!!! that answer would not have been good enough for me.

I'm also a bit concerend about the drug issue. How did they get on the ship in the first place? I thought that there was additional screening procedures in place as a result of the Brimble saga. Do what they have done with me at the Airport, open my bag, and go through everything. If you have nothing to hide, it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't care if it is Ectasy, weed or Ice, they are all dangerous and should be detected at all costs. So what if it takes an extra 10 or 15 minutes to board with extra screening, it only makes cruising safer for everyone.

P & O better get as tight as possible with the security. I don't want to be onboard with people who think they are so drugsmart. I bet the parents are regretting not keeping an eye on their daughter. Why why why would anyone go to someone elses cabin especially with what has happened in the past? I hope she can really get the help she needs, the paper said she tried to jump (who knows), so she needs help desperately. Why does anyone feel they have the right to force themselves on to someone else. I don't know who to blame, alcohol, education, young people with too much money or what. It really all does come back to parents and what they teach their children. I will probably be in trouble for saying that but thats how it seems.

P & O acted quickly which is good but I have already had a phone call this morning from well-meaning relatives saying I shouldn't go, so the word is spreading far and wide. I agree that I wouldn't mind how long security checks took if it means sifting out the 'drug idiots'. Nothing will stop me cruising.

the parents cant be blamed (im only a year older than this girl and my parents arent around me you just hav 2 stick around friends and be aware), neither can the girl.. but she needs to be very careful with choices she makes because it could hav been avoided and its not what she intended on happening..

yes she did try to jump this is why security was there supervising her for the rest of the cruise..

the man who apparently did this was middle eastern from auburn

Security on board ships is a major issue. Many years ago the cruiseship companies operating from Australia employed State Police Officers on leave as security officers, speaking from experience..there was little trouble on the ships on those days due to the police officers doing security giving troublemakers 'the message,' like 'you play up, you will be locked up and charged on reaching port, no cautions. These days the calibre of security officers on ships leaves a lot to be desired, almost none have police experience, many are ex Indian or Gurkha soldiers, working for a pittance like many of their shipmates in the cruise industry. On my last cruise, Pacific Princess last May, the Security chief was ex Royal Canadian Mounted Police, fair enough, his offsider was a 23 yr old canadian who had 2 yrs experience as a store security guard.!! The others were ex Indian soldiers, no idea at all.

As has been said cruiseship companies whether it be P&O or anybody else have to lift their game and provide an adequate security response. No good promising, they have to deliver.

As for young females getting in strife on the ships..look to lack of parental responsibility, they take their daughters (and sons) on cruises, they should look after them and not leave them exposed to criminal or hooligan types who frequent the ships.

Just my two bobs worth on this issue. Personally I would not go on any of these 7 day cruises to the Islands on Pacific Star/Pacific Sun, they just attract rat bags, you only need half a dozen of them to have a major problem on board, spoiling the cruise for the rest of the decent folk on board, young and old.:cool:

When you offer bargain basement prices, ($495.00pp 4 share) you will always attract a large number of unsuitable riff raff. Time for things to change......... these beautiful ships are not the local pub where its the usual Friday night boozed up free for all and damm the

consequences...... I am making a stand and will no longer cruise or recommend P & O Australia.... :D

While this is very serious, and I feel very sorry for the girl involved, once again the media are making way too big a deal about it, yet anoter way for them to bag P&O. If this incident had happened at a resort on the mainland it probably wouldn't have even made it on to the news.

I agree with the others, I think the bigger concern in this story is the presence of drugs on board the ship, which does seem to go against everything that P&O has been promoting over the last couple of months.

Kym

once again the media are making way too big a deal about it, yet anoter way for them to bag P&O. If this incident had happened at a resort on the mainland it probably wouldn't have even made it on to the news.

It happened at Coffs Harbour a few years ago with the bulldogs (something very strange there), and there was a sexual assault a few weeks ago at the Tennis on a young child.:mad:

No matter where it happens, it is not to be condoned in any way. It is such a shame what this world is becoming.:(

In a way I have to agree with badgerbill to a degree. Those $495 for 7 nights cruises are going to be nothing but trouble.

Btw I am still considering the Sun at this stage.

It can happen anywhere..not just on cruise ship...and it does...you dont just hear about it....I think PO did what they could.....

Im 19 and sister 18 and we are going on the Sun in a few weeks...

We arent worried because we wont be going to others room...

Thankyou deg46, very smart!

Don't go to rooms of people you don't know

Don't leave your drink unattended

Don't get so intoxicated that you have no control

Easy really!! Look after each other as if you were on a normal night out in your home town!

Being on a ship on the ocean does not negate things happening, there are alot of people, in confined space, in party mode, there's plenty of alcohol and no one has to drive home.

We were on a packed ship in March 2006, and yes, they were very cheap:D , not $499 but $895, and I'm not riff raff either!! there were old, young, families, singles and it was the best cruise I have been on! both my teenagers had a ball. The 21 year didn't go to other peoples cabins and the 15yr had fun with friends her own age whose parents were also cruising.

I am paying $12,000 for a cabin on my next cruise, so will just have to see if it's as good as the cheap one! gosh.....hope they are not all snobs:rolleyes:

Chez

Unfortunately we can't name companies on these boards. Does everyboy remember the last time??:o

Just do a Google search or Yahoo search, and should come up with some results.

I haven't been into a travel agent to book anything for 5 or 6 years. Ah the joy of the Internet and Email.:rolleyes:

Archived