kids' dress codes

teencruiser18

I will be on the Zuiderdam in less than a week. I was wondering what boys ages 5, 8, and 11 should be wearing on formal night. If they don't want to dress up, is the dress code the same in the Lido Buffet, or can they dress down? Any help will be appreciated.

Kerry

Why should little boys be allowed to dress down just because they don't want to dress up, when adults don't always have that privilege? Making them dress up when they don't want to would so much better prepare them to be husbands eventually, don't you think?

In any case, the Lido is available for all who desire to avoid formal night. Please don't send them by themselves while you enjoy your elegant evening.

teencruiser........

I have noticed your name before when you have posted and thought you most probably were a teenage cruiser....duh!!! :)

But, now that I have read your post about having three sons, the oldest being age 11, well, that ends that supposition. :)

Mind sharing how you come to post under that "nickname"? I'm just curious.

Whoops...I take it back, Kerry.

You never said they were YOUR sons. You simply asked what they should wear?

BTW.....if they would wear and if their parents wanted to dress them in khakis and blazers they would look fabulous.

Seeing as the parents (be it you or someone else) are teaching them so much by traveling with them, what a great opportunity to teach them proper dress and how to behave like fine gentlemen when in a lovely dining room.

They really should wear a jacket in the DR on formal nights. If you and they choose to eat in the Lido. remember no shorts, etc. in the public areas after 6 pm. They need to remain on deck, around the pool, etc if they are in shorts.They probably would rather wear the jacket and go to the captain's party and the shows.

"I was wondering what boys ages 5, 8, and 11 should be wearing on formal night...If they don't want to dress up..."

If they wanted to wear swim suits to church on Sunday instead of a nice shirt and pants, would you allow it? Or if they said they were never going to the dentist again, would you allow it?

There are some things in this life that we do -- like them or not --because they're necessary or appropriate. It's not a bad thing for a youngster to understand that concept early on.

On the Veendam 2 1/2 years ago, I dressed my nephews all in tux's, ages 5 through 17. The older ones weren't too thrilled with the idea, but then again, I gave them no choice, wear the tux, or stay home. Now the night that the boys wore their tux's, the older boys looked GREAT and they knew it, as a matter of fact, I think they wished every night was formal so they could wear their tux's. The little ones looked so darn cute and they knew they were handsome little gentlemen. They are ALL looking forward to cruising in 2006 again and wearing the tux's.

Thanks for the help y'all. They're my little brothers...not my sons. No, my parents wouldn't let them wear swimsuits to church, but buying them tuxes sounds kind of ridiculous. They would be dressed in button down shirts, my parents were just wondering if, instead of packing jackets for formal night, they (and my parents) could eat in the buffet on those nights. Not to mention sitting for a 2 hour long dinner is not the 5 year old's idea of fun.

Kerry

While Doone is correct and Tux delivery is a great adult option, a Purchase for Kids is cheaper!

My son is awaiting the arrival of his fourth Tux. It is always a 5 piece all-inclusive set and I've never paid more than $60. This year I paid $80 from infashionkids.com because he required a Tux as part of his orchestra uniform and a vest.

Other options: Walmart Easter suits are marked WAY DOWN, Resale shops, your local tux rental, etc.

I don't allow my children the option of not dressing BUT if it were an issue, there is always room service... However, in answer to your origional question: It is requeststed by HAL that Dress of the evening is carried out throughout the ship whether the dining room, specialty restaurant or Lido... That said, many people are opting out of Tux's these days and I imagine you could get by with school uniform Kackis, a white shirt and your school tie if you had to.

Formal night is meant to be a special cruising event, not a family torment.

I hope you find a way to enjoy it, we cherish our formal night pictures through the years !

Thanks for the help y'all. They're my little brothers...not my sons. No, my parents wouldn't let them wear swimsuits to church, but buying them tuxes sounds kind of ridiculous. They would be dressed in button down shirts, my parents were just wondering if, instead of packing jackets for formal night, they (and my parents) could eat in the buffet on those nights. Not to mention sitting for a 2 hour long dinner is not the 5 year old's idea of fun.

Kerry

Maybe someone in your family could take your 5 year brother to the Lido or order him room service on formal nights. He could then go to Club Hal while the rest of the family had dinner.

This is where the kids dinner that they have an Celebrity is something great.

My son doesnt like to dress but wears a sports jacket and khakis. Same uniform every ship every night. He was cold last trip so just kept to the jacket even for casual nights.

Room service and a movie for the boys might be a nice idea. Or someone takes them to the lido while you all go to the DR.

Why should little boys be allowed to dress down just because they don't want to dress up, when adults don't always have that privilege? Making them dress up when they don't want to would so much better prepare them to be husbands eventually, don't you think?

In any case, the Lido is available for all who desire to avoid formal night. Please don't send them by themselves while you enjoy your elegant evening.

Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous IMO

Dress the boys nicely but don't go out and rent tuxes or buy a suit. let sanity prevail. Don't listen to the You must wear formal or walk the plank crowd. make your own choice !!!

Kerry

YES - thats cause buying / renting them tuxes is ridiculous IMO !!!!!

button down shirts for kids in the Main dining room on formal night are more than fine !!!

That said, many people are opting out of Tux's these days and I imagine you could get by with school uniform Kackis, a white shirt and your school tie if you had to.

Formal night is meant to be a special cruising event, not a family torment.

Yesss !!! My thoughts exactly

Superstein, while it may sound ridiculous to you to rent tux's for young gentlemen, it was quite special for not only me, but my nephews as well. I believe dressing for dinner, yes in a tux, not only boosts ones self-esteem, but it teaches respect for ones self and others. The boys looked great and yes, it was a very special evening for us all, not torment for anyone. I will be renting, or perhaps taking TylerRose's advice and purchasing them each one on our next cruise.

I don't understand what the difference between renting and buying a tux, they will still be wearing a tux!!!!!

Superstein, while it may sound ridiculous to you to rent tux's for young gentlemen, it was quite special for not only me, but my nephews as well.

doone - I have no problem if someone wants to voluntarily do this - but no one should feel obligated to buy or rent their child a tux or sport jacket- especially in response to this board's dress police.

A shirt and tie would more than suffice for a young child on formal night

Sirs;

I do believe if the invitation extended to the passengers to include children is for a formal occasion, then the dress of all who attend should be formal. All things associated with this evening are formal and should be complied with. Those who feel that their children cannot dress or behave formally for a dinner should decline the invitation or make other arrangements for the children for the evening.

Having had two sons who could destroy anvils in their young years precluded us from formal appearances, however, in later years they were taught and learned to act as gentlemen and continue to do so as adults.

Superstein, I was merely making a suggestion on the tux rental for children. It worked well for us and I am sure others out there as well. If its something you don't agree on, use another word instead of ridiculous, its not ridiculous to some of us out here.

Dewhit, totally agree.

...no one should feel obligated to buy or rent their child a tux or sport jacket- especially in response to this board's dress police.
Same song, second verse.

No one should feel obligated to do anything, including cruise on a ship where they disagree with their policy.

Superstein, I was merely making a suggestion on the tux rental for children. It worked well for us and I am sure others out there as well. If its something you don't agree on, use another word instead of ridiculous, its not ridiculous to some of us out here.

Dewhit, totally agree.

Doone - I have no problem with you making a suggestion on tux rental - but several posts implied this should be done, or that the person should feel obligated to make sure the boys had a sportcoat, etc. i did and still do believe that is ridiculous. But thats just my opinion. And I did say in my initial "thats ridiculous IMO". Again - just staing my opinion as you have. Obviously it is not ridiculous to you which I am fine with - to each there own.

Archived