Question on cruises out of NY

BigBrust

This may seem like a silly question, but in this day and age, is there really any danger that the Noordam or any other large cruise ship would go down in such a storm? I'm booked on the Noordam next November, and I have not yet been seasick, so I enjoy the "motion of the ocean". What Carla and others experienced is obviously a lot more than that, but I think I would only be afraid if I thought there was a real danger of sinking. Is there???:eek:

This may seem like a silly question, but in this day and age, is there really any danger that the Noordam or any other large cruise ship would go down in such a storm? I'm booked on the Noordam next November, and I have not yet been seasick, so I enjoy the "motion of the ocean". What Carla and others experienced is obviously a lot more than that, but I think I would only be afraid if I thought there was a real danger of sinking. Is there???:eek:

If there truly were a danger of severe damage to the ship or any risk of putting the passengers or crew in harm's way, our good Captain Scott would NEVER have continued north - He'd have stayed south until the storm system had subsided.

Having just got off the Noordam I have to say that what we had were a couple of large swells nothing less & nothing more. As an ex-Mariner of many years standing I can honestly say that I have seen bigger waves on a bowl of soup. It goes with the territory. Sure she moved a bit but you are cruising & not in a railroad car. The cruise overall was superb whilst Captain John Scott ably supported by his fine ships compliment did all in their power to allieviate any discomfort. I will continue to cruise from NYC & hopefully cruise with HAL. As for the roosters in Tortola they were hardly attacking or preying on people & Cane Garden Bay with its diving Peliquans is an absolutely superb beach & the wonderful scenic drive over there is an absolute delight. There is certainly no need to be alarmed by any posting, the Noordam almost skimmed North she is a superb vessel commanded by the finest. A few hours delay amounts to nothing in the Maritime world. Just remember time & tide wait for no man. Those of you who have booked for the future really have a wonderful vacation coming up.:)

I know you are joking but that is SO TRUE. I kept looking around at all the seriously overweight people (not too many on this last cruise, but a few people clearly well above 300 pounds) and the very frail elderly people (too many to count) and as the seas kicked up I thought: who exactly is going to help all of these people??? There were many crewmembers under the weather and room srvice was very backed up. I saw one elderly man take a tray from the Lido, fill it up, and walk back across the Lido pool area and wait for the elevator. When I say it took ten minutes I am not joking. He had to keep stopping to place the tray on a table to catch his balance. He looked like he couldn't even carry something that awkward on LAND. His wife was probably waiting in the cabin. I would have helped him but I was so dizzy from the lack of sleep and turbulence that it was either lie there motionless on a deck chair or throw up.

I have always loved bad weather! Always, always. I have never been seasick, ever. This last cruise- I can't explain how bad it was. They weren't swells. It was Perfect Storm time. I kept thinking "shallow draft/floating hotel." It sounded like the ship was breaking up. Grown men were clearly scared.

That being said, I took some Dramamine for the first time in my life (unopened, expired) and I felt fine after that, qeasy-wise. I've been home for 4 days and neither of us is laughing about those 36 hours yet.

I will cruise out of NY in the future, though. But after 9/11 I kept thinking about the seriously unfit people who couldn't walk down the stairs without assistance. This is the thing on a cruise- as other posters have said, what do you expect- you're at sea! But look at how unfit some cruisers are- the threat of fire or other emergency is very real- so I guess it makes the bad weather a little less "fun" for me now. Those poor old people were really in a jam.

Thanks so much for sharing that with me Carla, but you know I live down here in the Southern Ocean, we get really wild and woolly weather sometimes so I guess I know all about what sea conditions can be like. I too have never been sea sick but I have always said, never say never, my old Dad taught me that many years ago, he was a seaman and never got sea sick but about twice. It sure as hec can happen to all of us. It is really tough when elderly people get caught, but really they should just stay put and safe in their cabins and ring for assistance. Did you know the crew on the Statendam have had some really dreadful crossing while down in our neck of the woods, across the wild and woolly Tasman Sea. That wasn't too much fun for them either. Of course the cruise lines would never advertise the fact that going to sea contains some risk!

I am still really, really looking forward to getting to NY in September, it has been a dream for so long and sailing out of NY, Wow I just can't wait. As a young girl I dreamed of a trans atlantic crossing, but thats not going to happen, I have crossed the Bay of Biscay, I no what thats like also. So out of NY to New England and Canada sounds really good to me.

Val

I crossed the Indian Ocean back on 1969, the ship rolled for several days, I was in a tiny inside cabin with DH, the ship rolled to port almost till it felt like it was going to tip right over, then it righted itself and rolled just a tiny bit to starboard,that kinda scared the ****s out of me, I ended up on deck one night in a deck chair, I felt OK then. I remember the table cloths on the tables all wet to hold everything on and all the furniture being tied down with great big ropes. I did however not miss one single meal :) I don' t think ships are built to sink, only if some idiot drives them into something, like icebergs or rocks, then they sure as hell are in trouble. People have crossed oceans for eons in the most amazing vessels when you think about it.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
If the ocean starts crashing against the verandahs on the side of the ship: there's a definate problem!!!

:eek:

poseidon_onesheet.jpg

That was SO funny! When we sailed on the Noordam on 12/27 for our New Year's cruise, DH and I kept joking and making reference to Poseidon. We were even keeping our eyes open to see who looked or acted like the main characters. We find quite a few. Thanks for the laugh.

Hi Mac D!!!!

I'm not saying that there aren't bigger waves elsewhere, or there at different times, or on soup, or whatever.

What I am saying is that HAL has an older demographic, and that cruise- what can I say??? Do you know how many people in their 80's were present? I was fine, though definitely not having the most fun I'll ever have, but the walker contingent was up a creek. When I heard they had even worse weather on the cruise they're on now, missed a stop, and apparently still haven't made a port yet- two days after we did, and had to chopper in a medical emergency, all I kept thinking was that some poor elderly person broke their hip. My grandmother tripped on an ENVELOPE and broke her hip.

OK, my point, IMHO, etc. Brian, I kept thinking of you on the cruise and wishing you and Revneal were there- the only other people I really know from this board. We had an excellent roll call, though!!

Older people, Yes Carla, I agree that there were a great deal of elderly people we had 4 x Octogenarians on our table out of a total of 8 & they never missed a meal or a show. Many of them were coping far better than the younger passengers. Carla I also feel that there was never at any stage a danger to the well being of the ship or her passengers. Wendy my DW had a rough day but that was about it. As for servicing the wheelchair passengers, the Noordam has the neccessary flexibility to quickly re-deploy her catering crew to boost numbers in the room service dept whilst reducing in the Restaurants & Bar. With regard to an elderly person falling and breaking a hip heaven forbid that it never happens. With regard to OUR balcony on 5 deck my DW & I both managed to smoke out there every single day of the voyage, even though the temps dip a little as you steam North. Carla my intention is not to contradict such a sweet person as you but bring it all in to perspective, "sea days" are not always plain sailing! You roll with the waves!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. "Carla" you are not being flamed for your comments:)

I will be leaving next month out of N.Y. You mention the salt on the outside of ship, does that actually mean that the water is splashing up, even to the balconys? If so, how much and how bad is it. ie: Splashing against your glass doors? Just getting nervous, as I am on deck 5 this cruise. Thanks for all info :)

We returned 2 weeks ago with rough seas. We were on the 5th deck aft,

just a little sea salt. Most likely from the spray of the waves. Don't be nervous

at all rocked to sleep every nite and no scary moments.

Ronnie :)

Thanks Brian and Val particularly, for putting my fears to rest. I can handle (I think:eek: ) some rough seas for a while, as long as I know that the ship is not going to spring a leak or be taken under by a huge wave and sink!! Can you tell I have very little experience with sailing??:o

Carla, I can certainly understand your fear and apprehension for the safety of the elderly or mobility-challenged pax, but I have to say that I was amazed while on the Zaandam recently that many of them had much better control of their sealegs (seawheels?) than I did! Comes with experience I guess.

Smooth sailing to all... and some waves to those who like them...

Bonnie

Everytime I see this topic it makes me smile. After all, you are booking a cruise which does sail upon the sea (unless they run aground) where the weather varies just like on land. Sea conditions are not much different than basic weather, they kind of "go with the wind." We have cruised all over the world for more than 25 years (about 50 different ships) and the roughest seas we ever encountered was on a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda from New York...when the ship ran into Hurricane Bob with its 40 foot seas. We have been in the Bay of Biscay which is supposed to always be rough and its been glassy. The best guarantee of smooth seas is to do a Med cruise in July or August when this part of the world is usually under a strong high pressure system which gives you blue skies and calm seas. As to me, I love it when it gets a bit rough. Suddenly its easy to get a good seat at the bars and showrooms and the dining room is less crowded. Its nice when a ship feels like a real ship (that means it rocks and rolls) rather than another Hyatt Regency at sea.

Hank

I have sailed quite a few times out of NYC. The seas are definitely more rough than if sailing out of FLorida. It seems like the east coast is the rough spot. Not too bad, but it is noticable.

The best part of NYC is sailing out of past Manhattan and the Stsue of Liberty...AWESOME.

The challenge I have with NYC is getting off the ship. It is really awful if you decide to take a cab anywhere. Long lines, feels diorganized, crowded. I found if I take my bags, walk up a block, hail a cab, it is much better.

I have cruised out of NYC twice, once toward Canada and the other Bermuda. Both were rough starts. Much rougher than even Baltimore. Out of Florida has been very calm for me. Best of luck! It is great cruising by the Statue of Liberty!

Everytime I see this topic it makes me smile. After all, you are booking a cruise which does sail upon the sea (unless they run aground) where the weather varies just like on land. Sea conditions are not much different than basic weather, they kind of "go with the wind." We have cruised all over the world for more than 25 years (about 50 different ships) and the roughest seas we ever encountered was on a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda from New York...when the ship ran into Hurricane Bob with its 40 foot seas. We have been in the Bay of Biscay which is supposed to always be rough and its been glassy. The best guarantee of smooth seas is to do a Med cruise in July or August when this part of the world is usually under a strong high pressure system which gives you blue skies and calm seas. As to me, I love it when it gets a bit rough. Suddenly its easy to get a good seat at the bars and showrooms and the dining room is less crowded. Its nice when a ship feels like a real ship (that means it rocks and rolls) rather than another Hyatt Regency at sea.

Hank

Ya gotta love it! Thanks Hank :D I get a real kick out of swapping "Sea Stories" with those bar tenders that have 5 or 6 years with HAL, they've seen quite a bit as well.

Having just got off the Noordam I have to say that what we had were a couple of large swells nothing less & nothing more. As an ex-Mariner of many years standing I can honestly say that I have seen bigger waves on a bowl of soup. It goes with the territory. Sure she moved a bit but you are cruising & not in a railroad car. The cruise overall was superb whilst Captain John Scott ably supported by his fine ships compliment did all in their power to allieviate any discomfort. I will continue to cruise from NYC & hopefully cruise with HAL. As for the roosters in Tortola they were hardly attacking or preying on people & Cane Garden Bay with its diving Peliquans is an absolutely superb beach & the wonderful scenic drive over there is an absolute delight. There is certainly no need to be alarmed by any posting, the Noordam almost skimmed North she is a superb vessel commanded by the finest. A few hours delay amounts to nothing in the Maritime world. Just remember time & tide wait for no man. Those of you who have booked for the future really have a wonderful vacation coming up.:)

Thank you for the words of wisdom, MacD! We're sailing on the Noordam in 3 days, so some of these posts had me wondering, "what the heck was I thinking?" Having said that, neither DH nor I are prone to sea sickness...it's the fear factor that troubles me!

Thank you for the words of wisdom, MacD! We're sailing on the Noordam in 3 days, so some of these posts had me wondering, "what the heck was I thinking?" Having said that, neither DH nor I are prone to sea sickness...it's the fear factor that troubles me!

Well it looks to me as the eastern seaboard is going to be dominated by High Pressure during the next week so I suspect your going to have smooth sailing.

curwx_600x405.jpg

Well it looks to me as the eastern seaboard is going to be dominated by High Pressure during the next week so I suspect your going to have smooth sailing.

curwx_600x405.jpg

Thanks, Navy Chief, for putting my mind at ease! Have we had a report yet from the folks on the Noordam currently?

curwx_600x405.jpg

Hi Navy Chief! So nice of you to ease their minds! As I've said before, you are so "dam" knowledgable! Can you please, please check the weather conditions for me before I go on the 17th?? Thanks a bunch!!

:) Susie

Archived