Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

Most balcony cabins are extended out from the hull of the ship, and have glass between the rail and the deck, allowing you to look out and down while seated.

'Cove' or 'Hull' balconies are simulated balconies. It is like taking an ocean view cabin, Putting a wall with a door and/or window about five feet from the outside wall, and then removing the outside window, and enlarging the opening from rail height to the deck above, giving an outside area to your cabin that approximates that of a balcony. Of course the inside area of your cabin will then be reduced in that same amount of space, as compared to a 'real' balcony cabin usually on higher decks. In addition if you are seated on the 'balcony', you can only see the sky, as you are looking into a steel wall below the rail. In some cases, if the weather gets extremely rough, some of these hull balconies have storm closures that the crew will close to protect the ship. Then you won't even have a window....

You are so wrong on so many points ! I loved our cove balcony, cabin was the same as , as you put it , "a real balcony " cabin, we had no issue seeing the water, and not just the sky, and you will always have a window !

You are so wrong on so many points ! I loved our cove balcony, cabin was the same as , as you put it , "a real balcony " cabin, we had no issue seeing the water, and not just the sky, and you will always have a window !

Well, I'll admit that I never have had one, but just answered on my perception of what they are, from what I've read before, so if I'm totally wrong, than I apologize for misleading anyone.....

Does anyone have any idea about U114 on Imagination? It is a grand suite next to the elevators. We have 3 small children (7, 3 and 3) and thought being close to the elevator would be easier with them and stroller. We have stayed in a grand suite before but not close to the elevator (and without kids)..

Does anyone have any idea about U114 on Imagination? It is a grand suite next to the elevators. We have 3 small children (7, 3 and 3) and thought being close to the elevator would be easier with them and stroller. We have stayed in a grand suite before but not close to the elevator (and without kids)..

for less maneuvering with the stroller- go to the aft elevators to get to the buffet. It drops you right there.

going for entertainment/dining room-- use your elevators closest to the cabin

I am going on my first cruise in December. Booked online with NCL directly and had not read these boards.

I am in 8087, an inside cabin, and there is a large open space beside my cabin. I can't tell what it is or if this is a good choice.

I am a single mom traveling with my six year old son.

Any advice would be great here. Also, if this is not a good room, can I call and change it???

you might get noise from the bar above, This is where they have the mexican deck party-- but you will be attending so no noise issue there

Haha. You're probably right. Given the size of the room, I think I'm willing to take a little noise as a trade off. I'll bring earplugs just in case.

I've just booked a cruise, with less than 3 weeks before sailing date so I don't really have much choice. I booked mid-level outside and have been upgraded to top-level outside. This is on the lowest public deck. I'm quite a distance away from the lobby so that's okay, and halfway between stairs. I have a walkway above me but as it's carpeted I should be fine. However, I have no idea what is below me. It must be crew area of some kind. Has anyone sailed on this deck?

Edited by fantasy51
typo

Just got back from Alaska on the NCL Star. Great ship, but our cabin 12013 was ridiculous. It was sold to us as ok for four-no way!! If we weren't a sane family we would now all be dead. It was the smallest and least attractive of all the cabins we've ever sailed-30 cruises. It would not be ok for two. So, do not book this cabin or any of the insides on deck 12. NCL redid this deck and I believe the rest of the insides on this deck are the same. Not fit for anyone.

We just got back from Alaska on Golden Princess in E514 and were bothered by the music from the Explorer's Lounge below us (though they did stop at midnight each night, so if you are still up and about 'til then, it would be a fine cabin (However we had kids with us)).

We are going to sail on Golden in March and are considering E421 or E420. It looks like they will not get the lounge music, but are the ones that you can see the doors of from the elevator area. Will be get a lot of noise from passengers in that area, or from the elevators themselves? Thanks for any help!!!

Hi Preceptgal. My first ever cruise was on the Emerald Princess, on emerald deck, just a few cabins down from the central lifts. I had been worried that I might be disturbed by lifts and people but ended up not noticing them at all. I hope you are as fortunate. (I love emerald deck as the outside cabins there are larger than other cabins.)

Most balcony cabins are extended out from the hull of the ship, and have glass between the rail and the deck, allowing you to look out and down while seated.

'Cove' or 'Hull' balconies are simulated balconies. It is like taking an ocean view cabin, Putting a wall with a door and/or window about five feet from the outside wall, and then removing the outside window, and enlarging the opening from rail height to the deck above, giving an outside area to your cabin that approximates that of a balcony. Of course the inside area of your cabin will then be reduced in that same amount of space, as compared to a 'real' balcony cabin usually on higher decks. In addition if you are seated on the 'balcony', you can only see the sky, as you are looking into a steel wall below the rail. In some cases, if the weather gets extremely rough, some of these hull balconies have storm closures that the crew will close to protect the ship. Then you won't even have a window....

Here are some photos I took of my Cove Balcony on Carnival Dream. As you can see in a couple of the photos, we were sailing in a storm and the storm doors were not closed. So I am guessing it has to really be pretty bad out to warrant closure of the storm doors. I loved the cove balcony! It was really exciting to be so close to the water! :D

199922224_BonnieandAnnCarnivalDream023.jpg.e886c4565c34735594f4d1903efd1ff1.jpg

276623748_BonnieandAnnCarnivalDream025.jpg.bee012523c0298dc6b2a460b3bd48ce5.jpg

1418730120_BonnieandAnnCarnivalDream024.jpg.863e6f3c8ec9565230515579a8c073d7.jpg

2047628638_BonnieandAnnCarnivalDream030.jpg.2b2f8b487fc68d9965c651fdd8c30a5b.jpg

297383358_BonnieandAnnCarnivalDream039.jpg.d9aab99d8320084b09cf4a2c2517461b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post the link below. It really made me feel comfortable with the location of my cabin. Sorry if this has already been posted. Too many threads to read and no search tool available right now.

Once you click on the link, click your cruise line, then your ship, then at the bottom you will see "drag decks", and click that. You can drag one deck on top of the other to see what's above and below. I believe to be accurate, you need to make sure you line up the decks properly when you drag them. I line up the stairs and elevators. Once you drag one over, before you release it, it will be transparent for you to see through from one to another (actually there are instructions at the top of the page). Then if I have any more questions about the location, I call the cruise line and ask to confirm.

Hope this helps. Lots of other good stuff on this site also.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/index.php

Happy Sailing!

Edited by PreciousCruiser

Thought I'd post the link below. It really made me feel comfortable with the location of my cabin. Sorry if this has already been posted. Too many threads to read and no search tool available right now.

Once you click on the link, click your cruise line, then your ship, then at the bottom you will see "drag decks", and click that. You can drag one deck on top of the other to see what's above and below. I believe to be accurate, you need to make sure you line up the decks properly when you drag them. I line up the stairs and elevators. Once you drag one over, before you release it, it will be transparent for you to see through from one to another (actually there are instructions at the top of the page). Then if I have any more questions about the location, I call the cruise line and ask to confirm.

Happy Sailing!

Thank you so much for posting this! Makes what I usually do with measuring spots on the deck above & below, when deciding on a cabin, so much easier.

Here are some photos I took of my Cove Balcony on Carnival Dream. As you can see in a couple of the photos, we were sailing in a storm and the storm doors were not closed. So I am guessing it has to really be pretty bad out to warrant closure of the storm doors. I loved the cove balcony! It was really exciting to be so close to the water! :D

Thank you for the pics! We will be in a Cove on the Magic but not until May. Should I take my fishing pole?

Has anyone stayed in the Star Princess Emerald balcony cabins? I've heard that the balconies are somewhat larger, & know that they are adjacent to the promenade walkways, although not on the same level. I haven't heard of any problems from noise from the theater (one to two floors below & adjacent).

thank you for any additional feedback --- I'm perseverating a bit with seeking reassuring feedback --- I'm not a "napper" so don't think rehearsal noise would bother me, & likely won't be in room much during afternoons, & am not an early sleeper, either, so I'm hoping it will be more of an enticement to get me out actually walking the promenade myself!

thank you for any replies!

Happy Sailing!

Precious Cruiser, what a great tool for real! I checked out my room for my next trip on Queen Victoria and it was better than the Deck plans Cunard gives. Thanks a lot!:):):)

• 4 weeks later...