Onboard coupon book?

Golfgrl1911

Why do some HAL posters on this board don't realize they come across as such SNOBS on various topics? The original poster asked if there were coupons or not - NOT that you think HAL should/should not change the policy.

I hope when I get OLD over 50 I don't behave like some of you do. I am proud to say I've sailed various lines and have never encounterd such behavior on any cruiseline board such as this. No wonder people post once or twice and leave. A well rounded cruiseline traveller is open to all sorts of experiences. Too bad yours is limited.

(sorry - just have had enough of this after the past few months).

:D :D :D Agreed. Perhaps some of these folks don't realize how they come across - or perhaps they know and just don't care because, well . . .

However, I do find HAL's method of using coupons for shipboard credits pretty primative. Other lines add it automatically to the account prior to sailing. It all depends on what one's use to.

:eek: Is this practise new? When we were on the Volendam last fall, credits were automatically added to our account, no paper necessary...

I rather like them using the paper coupon which is included in the documents.

On more than one occassion, the front office on the ship had no knowledge of a $300 shipboard credit we were due and said that without evidence from us, we would not get it. Having the paper coupon issued from Seattle was all we needed. BTW.....it is a good idea to make a xerox of that coupon before you turn it over to the office. Sometimes they lose it and they do not credit you. If you have a copy of it, you can "remind" them you already turned in the original to them. They process so many, I imagine it is easy to lose a few here and there. I just don't want to lose out on a $300 credit we are due.

I thought you were the champion of diverse opinion! What happened to cause you to dis those who felt differently than you and expressed it? No matter what the original question was. As pointed out above, conversation takes many branches from the trunk of the original comment. Some are just expressing a hope that HAL doesn't take the (mainly come-on) coupon book marketing route.

I thought you were the champion of diverse opinion! What happened to cause you to dis those who felt differently than you and expressed it? No matter what the original question was. As pointed out above, conversation takes many branches from the trunk of the original comment. Some are just expressing a hope that HAL doesn't take the (mainly come-on) coupon book marketing route.

Sorry - but I think you misread or misterpreted my post as Gizmo noted.

I have no problems with people having different opinions, voicing them, etc. But the original question was Does HAL have coupon books onboard - but some of the responses did not address that but rather focused on dissing the idea of coupon books on HAL and coupons in general.

Several comments - as iluvcruzin pointed out come across as snobbish. i started listing them here but decided the better of it because my intent is not to offend or single out anyone. But it seems several folks were making fun of / looking down at the use of coupons - which IMo is as iluvcruzin put it, snobbish

I think some of us just have different experiences or ways of describing them than others. Then when someone expresses another opinion we label them "wrong". Sort of like the blind people touching different parts of an elephant and trying to describe the animal. Their descriptions were all partly incorrect, or partly correct depending on where an onlooker might be standing.

The biggest argument my husband and I had when we remodelled our home was over each one describing a type of door we wanted and the other claimed to hate. Finally we got out the magazine illustrations and each chose the door we wanted. The pictures we chose were nearly identical! It was just the vocabulary that had gotten in the way.

Archived