"As You Wish" dining... is it really over?

ekerr19

.................I'm happy you liked the concept, however I like to have the same dining companions and the same dining time & table each evening.

There is no way that would be guaranteed under the "flexible" concept and quite frankly, I'm just getting tired of trying to justify how I feel, sorry.

Exactly, Laura. That is the whole point. And I think it bears repeating!!!:D :D

The letter states clearly that if you want maximum flexibility you don't need to make reservations. I have previously stated that I want to eat at the same table at the same time - every night. Period.

Obviously, then you would choose As You Wish Dining's traditional-fixed-dining option; apparently the open-dining option wouldn't be one that you would even consider. It's a pleasure that you can dine "as you wish" and we can dine "as we wish"; I think that's what HAL wants. In my experience (1/6/07 cruise)on Oosterdam for the first week As You Wish Dining was tried, HAL has succeeded. :cool:

Fred

Obviously, then you would choose As You Wish Dining's traditional-fixed-dining option; apparently the open-dining option wouldn't be one that you would even consider. It's a pleasure that you can dine "as you wish" and we can dine "as we wish"; I think that's what HAL wants. In my experience (1/6/07 cruise)on Oosterdam for the first week As You Wish Dining was tried, HAL has succeeded. :cool:

Fred

Fred -

I choose traditional dining - without any part of "As you Wish" entering into it.

Have you cruised HAL prior to "As you Wish?"... it's completely different - like comapring apples vs. oranges... :confused:

Obviously, then you would choose As You Wish Dining's traditional-fixed-dining option; apparently the open-dining option wouldn't be one that you would even consider.

That's what you're missing in Laura's posts---she did choose traditional. She was reassigned to open sitting and cannot be changed back to her original confirmed traditional.

Can you understand why she is not happy about this? How would you feel if you requested and were confirmed to open-sitting. Then, when you boarded (or received your documents) you found this had been changed without your knowledge or consent. And there was NO HOPE of this being corrected?

That's what you're missing in Laura's posts---she did choose traditional. She was reassigned to open sitting and cannot be changed back to her original confirmed traditional.

Can you understand why she is not happy about this? How would you feel if you requested and were confirmed to open-sitting. Then, when you boarded (or received your documents) you found this had been changed without your knowledge or consent. And there was NO HOPE of this being corrected?

I have noticed that Fred doesn't seem to get Laura's point, and that is most unfortunate. Nor do a blame her for her exasperation. I'm not caught in this quagmire and I'm exasperated from just reading the thread!

For my own part, I would be very VERY angry. I would express my anger aboard the ship, to the Hotel Manager and Dining Room Manager, and subsequently in a SCATHING letter to HAL HQ and in a SCATHING review that I would publish to the fullest extent of my ability, including in all print Cruise review publications. In short, the result will be anything but painless for HAL ... and I would make sure they realize it ahead of time.

Meanwhile, I would go on the cruise, attempt to enjoy myself, TRY to treat it as traditional with my party, and try to not allow it to destroy the full enjoyment of the cruise.

HOWEVER, needless to say I would be sorely tempted to tell HAL what to do with my mariner number and my 100 day medal ... and where SK would have to shove it would NOT be a pretty sight.

Thank you Ruth...!!!!! I was beginning to feel as if I were totally missing something here. This is exactly what happened and how we feel about it.

We will do the best we can - we have no choice; but in the end I honestly feel it is neither right or fair.

"As you wish" will probably be a necessity on the Signature class (Eurodam and later) ships, with 200 more pax and the same size dining room as the Vistas ... but the Sig class will have 3 specialty restaurants, not just the Pinnacle. IMHO it will never be tried on the R&S class ships, and whether it stays or goes on the Vistas is very debatable right now. Maybe HAL will retro-fit the Vistas with an extra deck and a couple more specialty dining rooms? :confused:

jtl513, this question was put to rest by Captain Stephen Card (Prinsendam) in a prior thread on this subject. HERE. In this post, the good Captain and artist gives the dining capacity of the various venues aboard the Signature Class:

Here are the seating figures for various spaces:

Main Dining Room Upper level 488

Main Dining Room Lower level 632

TOTAL: 1,120

Lido: 450 Includes 'about 50 seats' in the Italian Restaurant. This is located port side forward of the Lido. During the day it will be part of the Lido, in the evening, sliding panels will screen off this area, making an Italian Restaurant.

Pinnacle: 148 seat

Asian Restaurant 144

Asian Restaurant bar 50 seats

Hence, even if the Eurodam is at full double occupancy the main dining room can still accommodate everyone with two traditional seating times. The claim that the ship won't be able to handle everyone is simply untrue. HAD does not HAVE to go to a non-traditional dining scheme in order to operate these ships at full double occupancy.

Have you cruised HAL prior to "As you Wish?"... it's completely different - like comapring apples vs. oranges... :confused:

We were on Oosterdam's 2/26/05 Mexican Riviera cruise with late seating. We couldn't get changed to the early seating and dined in the Lido Restaurant (very pleasant and enjoyable). We've never dined traditionally on HAL.

What specifically is it that confuses you? I'll do my best to be responsive. I'm not comparing the dining experiences of the two dining options; certainly they're very different experiences, which is why I prefer the open-dining option. I was only saying that reservations are not required for the open-dining option.

I've not read anywhere that traditional fixed dining was a different experience than As You Wish Dining's traditional-fixed-dining option; maybe I missed it. Based on James Deering's letter, other than possibly dining times, that there is no apparent change for the traditional-fixed-dining option (Deck 3). I thought that the As You Wish Dining concept took nothing from the dining experience from those that preferred traditional fixed dining, but provided the additional option for those of us that prefer open dining.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone about any difference in experience between traditional fixed dining and As You Wish Dining's traditional-fixed-dining option. Obviously, if one prefers Deck 2 that would be different because that option is not available on Deck 2.

Fred

I've not read anywhere that traditional fixed dining was a different experience than As You Wish Dining's traditional-fixed-dining option; maybe I missed it.

Then you are not reading the posts in this thread.

The difference in "As you wish" traditional dining is that it is

NOT AVAILABLE

to everyone who wants it.

Is that clear now?

I've not read anywhere that traditional fixed dining was a different experience than As You Wish Dining's traditional-fixed-dining option; maybe I missed it. Based on James Deering's letter, other than possibly dining times, that there is no apparent change for the traditional-fixed-dining option (Deck 3). I thought that the As You Wish Dining concept took nothing from the dining experience from those that preferred traditional fixed dining, but provided the additional option for those of us that prefer open dining.

The problem, Fred, is that Laura HAD been confirmed for Traditional dining on the upper level, only to find her dining switched to As You Wish on the lower level, with NO way of getting back to "traditional." She didn't want As You Wish, she wanted Traditional. But, clearly, more people are wanting Traditional dining than HAL is providing facilities to accommodate. If stuck with As You Wish, all making a reservation will do is ensure your dining time, not your group or your table. At least, that's how I read it.

NOT AVAILABLE

Is that clear now?

There is brilliance and clarity in brevity.

I do not see how Fred could miss the point now.

Let's see ....

NOT AVAILABLE

Is that clear now?

Yes, thanks, Ruth. I thought posters were opposed per se to the open-dining option. I was confused by the assertion, without any qualification, that one must make a reservation when using open dining.

Well, there seems to be a simple (possibly not easy to implement due to staffing) solution. Reserve a sufficiently-sized section of the Deck 2 dining room for traditional dining. It would seem to me that the seating options could successfully coexist as far as passengers were concerned.

Fred

Maybe our opposition and adverse reaction to the "As You Wish" dining experiment is situational for our upcoming cruise. We booked our Feb 24 Oosterdam cruise late last year. As a result, we were waitlisted for early dining--we just cannot tolerate late dining - never have, never will. Well, we figured with two dining rooms and speaking to the dining room manager after we embark, maybe we would have a decent chance of getting early seating.

Then, along comes "As You Wish" dining and eureka, there goes one dining room! So, the way I look at it, there goes our chances for early traditional dining--maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way I view it--if we were waitlisted for 2 dining rooms for early seating, why would we have an increased opportunity with only one traditional dining room?

We want traditional dining!!!! If we had wanted anytime dining or "As You Wish" dining previously, we would have dined up in the Lido!!!! I really resent being forced into this situation by HAL--it certainly not as we have wished at all!!! If we cannot get early traditional seating, I do not know what we will choose. I would imagine that we may make a reservation each day for early dining rather than just show upwith no reservation, or go up to the Lido. You know, we pay a lot of money to sail on HAL, and we should not have to wait, even five minutes, to be seated for dining!!!! At least in the Lido, because it is a buffet-style venue, I expect to work through a line. I know not everyone feels this way, but we do! IMO, "As You Wish" dining is similar to Lido dining but with waiters, in a fancier venue.

I feel like ekerr, that we our opportunity for a traditional dining experience has been unduly diminished by this experiment. It may work out ok for us, but I am not optimistic at this point. We still intend to have good time, regardless.

I feel like ekerr, that we our opportunity for a traditional dining experience has been unduly diminished by this experiment. It may work out ok for us, but I am not optimistic at this point. We still intend to have good time, regardless.

Bill -

Our TA did tell us the experiment was over, but so far it's too soon to tell (via returning cruisers).

We are committed to making the best of it too - not much else to do at this point. I wish you were on our cruise or that we were on yours!!! At least we could all meet up somewhere each night for dinner, lol!!!

When you booked your cruise, was there ever an indication that something like this might happen? I seem to remember us booking right around the same time...

If you are traveling with companions, it should work out fine. Just go to the dining room together, and request a table of a size that will accommodate only your group. In that manner, "anytime" and traditional will pretty much be the same for you. The only difference will be that your wait staff will probably change each night ... but your dining companions at least won't.

The people who are really gonna be shafted with this "anytime" dining will be the singles and solos ... who many times will be forced to dine alone ... or be seated at a large table with different people each night. No chance there at all to get to know people ... since you see them one evening and then most likely never eat with them again.

I guess the only way to ensure getting traditional dining from here on out is gonna be to book your cruises at least a year out ... and even then, you could be bumped from confirmed traditional by a large group that happens to be aboard your sailing and wants to dine together.

Kinda sucks. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived