"As You Wish" dining... is it really over?

ekerr19

............... If they have to make the lower level the fixed seating one because it has more seating, the message is clear that more people want fixed seating than do not. ...................

Exactly!!!!

It's obvious that HAL is attempting to compete with those ships that have a freestyle type dining usually with several restaurants. But this doesn't complete with that because essentially there is still just the main dining room. If they want to build new ships with several dining room choices then they should go for that by all means and I'll simply avoid those ships. Those who like "freestyle" type dining can cruise those ships. Everyone is happy:D .

As for "As You Wish" dining, from what I understand it's not really as you wish at all. It's AS YOU RESERVE! You don't just get back from your tour and decide that you'd like to run for dinner. In order to get the time you want, you have to reserve.

And even then, from what I've read on these boards you're still likely to have to wait.

Not for me, thank you!!!:(

Just got our docs for the 3/10 Noordam sailing with the info about the "flex dining" and am quite unhappy about it. We selected an 8:30 dining time because we wanted to dine at 8:30 - not 8:00 or 9:00. :mad: I can see the potential for disaster since we'd also requested a large table. What happens if we arrive at 8:30 only to find that others meander in at 9:00. (or conversely if others arrive earlier). I can't imagine sitting and waiting a half hour to being service. If I wanted to sail on NCL and experience their "freestyle" cruising I would have booked NCL and saved myself some $$$. I'm hoping for the best, but not encouraged.

As for "As You Wish" dining, from what I understand it's not really as you wish at all. It's AS YOU RESERVE! You don't just get back from your tour and decide that you'd like to run for dinner. In order to get the time you want, you have to reserve.

And even then, from what I've read on these boards you're still likely to have to wait.

Heather -

I agree wholeheartedly! What is the point of having to reserve once we are onboard?? As I stated previously, it seems like an unnecessary, added step in the process. Why not just tell me I'm confirmed for Upper or Lower, Early or Main?? Why make things this complex???

As Sail also states - dining IS important to many cruisers - HAL can "tweak" all they want, but ultimately, they will alienate a great many loyal, regular cruisers who prefer traditional dining...

Bill also makes a very good point about Carnival having other products that will fill this niche for cruisers who desire flexibility, so I really don't understand what they are trying to accomplish. :confused:

Exactly!!!!

I could not agree more. Others have said that if they go at 7:00, they may have as much as an hour wait. Another regular poster said well, if you don't want to have a wait, then come earlier or come later. This is not "As I Wish". If I wanted to eat at 6, I would come at six. I don't expect to come at 7 and eat at 8. It becomes "As Someone Else Wishes".

We were on Oosterdam's 1/6/07 cruise. We chose As You Wish Dining's open-dining option, never made a reservation and never waited. We've several times cruised with Oceania and our experience with open dining on Oosterdam was that it was every bit as convenient as on Oceania (and as on Princess). We love it!

Fred

We were on Oosterdam's 1/6/07 cruise. We chose As You Wish Dining's open-dining option, never made a reservation and never waited. We've several times cruised with Oceania and our experience with open dining on Oosterdam was that it was every bit as convenient as on Oceania (and as on Princess). We love it!

Fred

Fred -

The letter we received with our 3/3/07 docs says we must make a reservation once onboard... that reservation time cannot change, we must adhere to it every night...

I wish I knew what the heck is really is/was going on... :confused:

Fred -

The letter we received with our 3/3/07 docs says we must make a reservation once onboard... that reservation time cannot change, we must adhere to it every night...

I beleive the making the reservation may be dealing with those who choose "traditional dining". I talked to HAL a couple of days ago and was told flex dining would, most likely continue. As for not changing once you make your reservation, if it works like Princess, this is true: you can't jump back and forth. NMnita

I was just ready to request "as you like" dining! I thought I'd sacrafice myself to their experiment and go with the flow. Currently, we are waitlisted for early, but I think early is too early. I also think late is too late.

So, this 30 minute window intrigues me. If I have early at 6, can I show up at 6:30 and still be good. What happens to all the other people at our table that showed up at 6. Are they waiting for me with daggers in their eyes or have they already been served?

Fred -

Did the letter not say, "Reservations may only be make onboard"? If so, that's different from, "must make a reservation".

Allowing reservations for open dining would seem to exacerbate any waiting issues. I understand there was a dining time period (likely busy time for the dining room) for which reservations could not be made.

Fred

I beleive the making the reservation may be dealing with those who choose "traditional dining". I talked to HAL a couple of days ago and was told flex dining would, most likely continue. As for not changing once you make your reservation, if it works like Princess, this is true: you can't jump back and forth. NMnita

I don't inderstand this????

Why in the world would you need to make reservations for traditional dining? Traditional is a set time at a set table with set servers. They tell ME the time. If they tell me traditional dining, 6:15 Upper Dining room, why would I have to make a reservation????

Some of my fellow pax reported never making a reservation and walking in and getting seated immediately. But I saw many people being turned away, especially on the formal nights. So as one person pointed out, its not "as you wish" in its truest sense, it's simply not "fixed dining".

Having to make an rsvp every day was a pain in the royal backside. I had to do it by 3 ish so they had enough time to deliver the rsvp card to my stateroom which is what I presented to the maitre'd. Every afternoon began the same way: stop off at the shops, visit the spa, take a dip in the pool....but wait, I have to return to my room to make my rsvp for dinner...that means I might miss the such and such. UGH!! This is too much like real life....aren't cruises supposed to be relaxing and carefree?

I was just ready to request "as you like" dining! I thought I'd sacrafice myself to their experiment and go with the flow. Currently, we are waitlisted for early, but I think early is too early. I also think late is too late.

So, this 30 minute window intrigues me. If I have early at 6, can I show up at 6:30 and still be good. What happens to all the other people at our table that showed up at 6. Are they waiting for me with daggers in their eyes or have they already been served?

Unfortunately it works the other way which is why we don't like this, Early Dining is from 5:30 to 6:00 Vista Dining Room doors will close at 6. Late Dining you can arrive between 8:00 and 9:00. Here is the problem the first night it is all confusing because you never know when you tablemates wil arrive or if you even have any. Now if you instantly hit it off you can ask if they want to agree to come at a set time. If you don't feel you got to knwo them that well I think it is hard to ask them to be there at a certain time. Tom always want to be their early even if it is 5:30 which to me is way too early. In Feb. last year we had this dining and we enjoyed our tablemates but even after the 2nd night we agreed to be there at 5:30 they would never show up till 6. We got so that the last several night we just went ahead and ordered. I think it made it a lot harder on our servers. I would have hated to have the 8 PM seating then it really would have been bad. I have heard several state here on the boards that they thought it went well and they just had to set a time with their table mates. I don't want to have to set a time with my table mates, what if they are not that great of tablemates. No, either tell me that I have to be there at a certain time or let people go to Dine As you Wish. I really do prefer traditional and wish they would keep it for all ships all the time so we would not be having to have a discussion on this thread but I also don't think that is happening. What is too bad that if the powers at be want to evaluate the 4 weeks of Dine As You Wish then why did they have to go back to the Open Window Dining? Why not just go back to the set time for Early and Main Dining? To me this is just confusing way too many cruisers. I would just as soon go back to Early Lower at 6:15 or 6:30.

I believe that it's Leisure Dining Service, not As You Wish Dining, that has the window during which to be seated. As You Wish Dining has two options---traditional fixed dining and open dining.

Fred

It would seem that one would be hard-pressed to screw up a pilot program more than HAL did, this one. I think there are more opinions and misconceptions than there are pax on all of HAL's ships !

No where has anyone read or heard from anyone who really knows, that HAL had any intention of eliminating traditional dining and yet many posters have on other related threads, done the "if HAL changes, I am outta here" routine.

We have heard from many who claim terrible waits on other cruise lines that encourage anytime dining.

We have heard from many who claim the opposite.

There is mass confusion about the arrive "within the window" concept, if it means the entire table waits or if everyone is on a different course, dependent upon their arrival.

I personally don't care what HAL does but was hoping they would find a way to make traditional and side by side work. Regardless of what they do, HAL really needs to get its act together and communicate.

For my money, though, I will always choose traditional dining. If I want "As You Wish," I'll go to the Lido in my tee-shirt and blue jeans and enjoy my dinner there. But, in the dining room, I want it to be traditional all the way ... even if that means I have to "gussy up" on formal nights if I want to eat there.

I hear ya, Rita. I just hope that we will continue to have the OPTION of choosing traditional dining. Sadly, I fear that such will either not always be the case, or will be so limited in terms of availability that traditional will have long waiting lists, while As You Wish will always be available ... hence, some of us will be FORCED to take a dining scheme we don't like.

Of course, if I'm flexible enough in terms of cruse itinerary and dates, I can just not book a cruise I can't get confirmed Traditional dining on. And, if HAL ever does completely away with Traditional Dining they will also be doing away with me as a Mariner.

It would seem that one would be hard-pressed to screw up a pilot program more than HAL did, this one. I think there are more opinions and misconceptions than there are pax on all of HAL's ships !

No where has anyone read or heard from anyone who really knows, that HAL had any intention of eliminating traditional dining and yet many posters have on other related threads, done the "if HAL changes, I am outta here" routine.

We have heard from many who claim terrible waits on other cruise lines that encourage anytime dining.

We have heard from many who claim the opposite.

There is mass confusion about the arrive "within the window" concept, if it means the entire table waits or if everyone is on a different course, dependent upon their arrival.

I personally don't care what HAL does but was hoping they would find a way to make traditional and side by side work. Regardless of what they do, HAL really needs to get its act together and communicate.

Hammy, they're passing out so many stupid pills in Seattle that, form this point forward, I will always assume that the worst possible eventuality and reality is what will come to pass. At least, with that pessimistic attitude, I'll never be disappointed and always "pleasantly surprised." :(

And, YES, I've written numerous letters to HAL HQ about this, and other matters. They quit even sending me form-letter responses. I guess my letters to the SK's office are just being filed in the "circular file" now.

In the end, what does this all mean for the future of cruising? I started a related thread on what our ideal ship design might be. Are they going to start building ships that resemble nothing sailing the waters today? Mr. Deering spoke about the industry, like any business, in a constant state of evolution. But are the cruiselines evolving faster than their passengers can adapt? Is it possible they will alienate their patrons and destroy themselves in the process?

I have not sailed many ships but I know enough that today's ships don't appear to be like anything depicted on the Love Boat. They are larger, faster, public rooms in the lower decks, verandahs, etc. Maybe the veteran cruisers are used to this. However, despite my greenness, I am feeling very uneasy and apprehensive about what the future holds in store for cruiseships.

As many of you know, I'm a recent HAL convert. Love the line. Can't wait until next December's Amsterdam.

However, dining means very little to us. I fell in love with itineraries, staff and stateroom. :)

If, in fact, HAL continued their "As You Wish" dining, where would you jump to? Celebrity?

Curious...:confused: (Thinking I might be missing something!!!!;))

NNN, I wouldn't be "jumping" to Celebrity since we already cruise both lines. We would simply be leaving HAL in our dust:) .

But since the dining means nothing to you, than none of this should be an issue and I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy HAL. While most in this forum won't agree with me, I consider Celebrity definitely comparable if not superior to HAL depending on what you enjoy. And for us traditionalists, they continue to maintain traditional dining.

When they start tweaking, I'm in trouble:o .

As many of you know, I'm a recent HAL convert. Love the line. Can't wait until next December's Amsterdam.

However, dining means very little to us. I fell in love with itineraries, staff and stateroom. :)

If, in fact, HAL continued their "As You Wish" dining, where would you jump to? Celebrity?

Curious...:confused: (Thinking I might be missing something!!!!;))

Yes, DW & I would jump to Celebrity! We have sailed with both HAL & X. In our view, X, for example, offers a far superior dining room service, including quality & quantity. However, that being said, we will continue to cruise with HAL so far as HAL does not extend the "As You Wish Dining" fleet-wide! If & when that happens, we will return to X for good!

NNN, I wouldn't be "jumping" to Celebrity since we already cruise both lines. We would simply be leaving HAL in our dust:) .

But since the dining means nothing to you, than none of this should be an issue and I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy HAL. While most in this forum won't agree with me, I consider Celebrity definitely comparable if not superior to HAL depending on what you enjoy. And for us traditionalists, they continue to maintain traditional dining.

When they start tweaking, I'm in trouble:o .

Heather, I agree with you entirely. Oh, I forgot, to mention the "Aqua Spa" on X Millenium Class, a most enjoyable "oasis" indeed; something that HAL lacks, unfortunately!

Hi Heather. Hi Ward. Happy Saturday! :)

Honestly, I've been tempted in the past to venture over to Celebrity, but one thing is holding me back....

This might seem very inconsequential to you....but...:o

Apparently, Celebrity now only allows 2 bottles of wine per room.

Dom and I have a 70+ acre spread here. We work hard and play hard.

We bring along a case of wine/bubbly for a cruise, but also spend a great deal in the lounges.

I fear that all of the lines are going to adopt the same wine guidelines...if so, it'll be back to land based vacations. (Which saddens me).

I wish now that I would have done a Celebrity cruise prior to their new wine limitation. :(

OK....I'm totally confused now! So, I got "traditional", "as you wish" and now "at your leisure" with the 30 minute window. I know I won't go hungry but couldn't I just eat at 7:30 with my spouse? I don't want to make plans with a bunch of strangers and their dietary wishes and whims.

Pinnacle Grill...here I come!

Archived