Sunburn Relief - I Have the Answer!

benandelena

I feel I must now share this information. For years, I have had a secret way of getting rid of a sunburn in mere days. Whenever I tell someone the secret,t hey never believe me, so I stopped sharing the secret. I decided to tell AZDCruiser because I felt so bad for her - she a waxing appointment right before her cruise and apparently looked like a lobster. Been there. So, I told her. She did it. And it worked in 2 days. I am now going to share the secret with you. Please don't call me crazy. Do this if you need to get rid of your sunburn because it's painful, it's going to peel, or you need to look good. Ready? Cornstarch. Plain ol' in-a-box-in-your-pantry cornstarch. Slather yourself in cream, use a blush brush or power puff to dabble a thick layer of cornstarch on your burns, cover up and go to bed. See for yourself. Read the thread link below to hear (or read) the actualy testimonial. I think I should sell a "cream and cornstarch" kit for $20 lol. Patent pending.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9008510&posted=1#post9008510

I feel I must now share this information. For years, I have had a secret way of getting rid of a sunburn in mere days. Whenever I tell someone the secret,t hey never believe me, so I stopped sharing the secret. I decided to tell AZDCruiser because I felt so bad for her - she a waxing appointment right before her cruise and apparently looked like a lobster. Been there. So, I told her. She did it. And it worked in 2 days. I am now going to share the secret with you. Please don't call me crazy. Do this if you need to get rid of your sunburn because it's painful, it's going to peel, or you need to look good. Ready? Cornstarch. Plain ol' in-a-box-in-your-pantry cornstarch. Slather yourself in cream, use a blush brush or power puff to dabble a thick layer of cornstarch on your burns, cover up and go to bed. See for yourself. Read the thread link below to hear (or read) the actualy testimonial. I think I should sell a "cream and cornstarch" kit for $20 lol. Patent pending.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9008510&posted=1#post9008510

Milk of magnesia also works with the pain. I once participated in a regatta and ended with 2nd degree burns to my legs. Although it helped with the pain, the redness did not go away. I can be messy as once the milk of magnesia (MOM as it is known in the medical field) dries up, it leaves a powdery residue.

What a great thread!:) My doctor recommends Noxema for the burn and aspirin for the pain; I never leave home without it! A friend recommended Johnson's 3 in 1 cream. I bet there are lots of home remedies out there that work....keep 'em coming! Nothing worse then sunburn to ruin your cruise!

Thanks for your tip benandelena!

I remember once as a very young girl going to the lake and getting super fried. My mom used a cornstarch paste on me and I can't recall but one really bad night afterwards.

In a pinch, you might also want to try Biofreeze. It's a topical muscle cream and it chills the skin - I grabbed this one night thinking it was hand cream and nearly froze. It's sort of pricy and you wouldn't want to just put it anywehre, but in an emergency, it works well on backs, arms and legs.

Then I had a dear friend die of skin cancer and it sort of change my whole perspective about sun tanning.

Charlie

I had a really bad burn from head to toe (Literally, I am from the Midwest and went to the Georgia coast without adding sunscreen after being in the water. Horrible sunburn!) Anyways, my Dr. gave me a rx for Silver Sulfadine Cream, which I live by. Slather it on and it turns gray as is oxidizes. Works great. And there is a generic. Being a red-head, you learn all the cures from sunburns!

When we went on our last cruise I burned horribly. I tried everything that was handy. On one of the islands, one of the local ladies there told me to put sulphur on it. I bought these sulphur bars of soap. Instant relief and I enjoyed the rest of the cruise in peace!!!

Missy

I remember years ago my ex and I were in Jamaica sitting on the beach and he got horrid sunburn on his legs. A man came down the beach calling himself the Aloe Doctor. He was histerical with his stethascope and aloe that he took out of a pan and slathered it all over his legs. With minutes he was feeling better and ready for another drink.:D

Dr. gave me a rx for Silver Sulfadine Cream, which I live by. Slather it on and it turns gray as is oxidizes. Works great. And there is a generic. Being a red-head, you learn all the cures from sunburns!

Actually, it turns silver, because silver is an ingredient. I keep this stuff in the kitchen and always take it on camping and canoeing trips.

I had gotten 2nd degree burns on my feet back in the 80s. I was in St Pete, and put sunscreen on everywhere except my feet (because they were sandy). You could see the finger marks of exactly where I had put sunscreen. My feet swelled to twice their size and I was carried off the plane by a male flight attendant who was worried someone would bump my feet! My doctor told my mother to brew very strong tea and pour into a 5 gallon bucket and ice. And there I sat with my feet in iced tea! The acidic acid took out the pain and heat but not the redness. Because of that, it looked much worse than it was (and got me out of wearing panty hose all summer (happened in the beginning of June). I peeled several layers, but no scarring. Now, I take the tea bags from brewing and just swab them over the burned areas.

Aloe Vera gel works great. It also comes with lidocaine which really helps with the pain (look for the blue color). The original Aloe is green.

I use Aloe Vera for most burns too -- I actually keep a bottle in the refridgerator. This works not only for sunburns but also when you touch a hot pan or burner or when grease splatters on you (I am a bit of a clutz when I cook).

if you dont mind stinking a little bit apple cider vinegar works great if you put it on with in a few hours of roasting yourself. The next day it will not hurt but you'll still be red. This has kept me alive down here in Fla for 38yrs.

Seeeyaaa

Jeff

The very best thing in the world is BurnFree burn gel. It is most commonly found in first aid kits and generally is used for flame burns. The thing about sunburn is that the damage you do to your skin actually creates heat, which is why it will seem to get worse and worse. Many of the other remedies mentioned also work because they do the same thing burn gel does, get the skin cooled down and stop the reaction that is taking place in the subsurface skin layers. Of course, you must avoid further exposure to the sun.

You can find this stuff on sale on line (google it). It should be part of any beachgoer's pack. Put it on as soon as you notice any damage and cover up the area affected. You'll save yourself a lot of agony.

Disclaimer: I don't sell this stuff, but have used it. I had our safety supplier get me a couple samples.

All of these ideas are great. I think it's really important to carry some kind or burn spray (like Solarcaine) or aloe gel to relieve the pain immediately. BUT, I think I need to mention again that cornstarch will actually make the burn go away after one or two nights. It doesn't just help with the pain...something to keep in mind for your next cruise.

We will be taking a spray can of solarcaine and some cornstarch. I thought of taking it in a baggie but it might not look good...maybe a small container. lol

Elena,

This is totally off topic, but I had to say hi! We used to live in Round Rock (pre-Dell). I've met another CC'er that's from Round Rock, and I'm sorry to say I can't remember his name.:confused: I do remember that he brought me the heavenly Round Rock donuts on our last cruise. :) We met up on the roll call.

Happy sailing,

Gayle

well hi! we just moved up here in August from southwest austin. DH-to-be has been with dell for 4 years now, figured it was time to stop commuting! i love it up here, though. it's very quiet, we're up at forest creek. i have yet to taste RR donuts..trying to fit into a wedding dress! but i may have to make an exception... maybe they'll make good wedding favors! :)

Stay away from the donuts until after the wedding. They are SO GOOD! Especially the chocolate ones! :p My BIL works at Dell, too! Forest Creek is great! We lived off of 620, close to the hospital (which has tripled in size! :eek: )

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Gayle

Just thought I'd let everyone know I had to use my own trick!

I started tanning again since it take a couple of months for me to develop a good tan. And of course, I got burned. Maybe TMI, but my buns looked like a giant red delicious apple! After two nights of cornstarch it's gone! The second I showed DH-to-be, he said one word: "cornstarch"!

BTW, I also did mystic tan after I tanned in a bed. I was surpised at how well it came out! It is essential to use the blending cream and make sure your salon uses the REAL "Mystic Tan", not an imposter! Also, they had cartidges called "MyMist" that were personizable by color and smell. I got the fair skinned clear mist that showed up after 4 hours, but fully developed overnight. It smelled like vanilla! Anyway, I recommend it if you are like me and cant develop a full, rich tan.

• 2 weeks later...

on the subject of cornstarch...just remember that if you have a really bad sunburn, and get an infection (worse problem with burns) putting corn starch on it is not good!! bacteria (infection) will FEED on this corn starch and make it much worse. this is why when baby has a bad diaper rash, do not put cornstarch baby powder on bottom. he/she can/will end up with yeast infection.

another great rememdy for burns....plain white shaving cream. also a great first aid tool if you have severe burns. cools down skin, and makes a protective (somewhat) covering until medical attention.

I use a can of evaporated milk. It takes almost all sunburn out by the next day. I have been using it since I was young. When I'm in the sun, I have two colors: pasty white or red. This is the ONLY thing I have ever been able to use.

Be careful when purchasing any aloe. Most of them come with alcohol in them which will sting. If I remember correctly, the blue was worse.

Archived