Best room/rooms for family of 6

sundaysmother

Hello all,

we are a family of 6 that will be traveling on a carnival ship in November (haven't decided which one yet). We will be traveling with our 4 children, ages 6,10,12, and 13. They are too young to be in their own room, so we are wondering what others like us do as far as booking rooms for large families.

THanks!

We book connecting rooms, and throw a towel over the door that connects the two so it can't be shut by a child. Gives the grownups a private area to stay up late, watch t.v. etc., the kids can go to bed at a regular time and those two bathrooms are priceless!

You can sleep 5 in a cabin on the Destany class ships... and only 4 on the others.

Your best bet is to get two ajoining rooms. I've seen it posted over and over again that it's nearly the same price to book two rooms as opposed to one room with 4 people. And you will also get two bathrooms out of it. And there is also a better chance for a little alone time if you have two adjoining cabins... one cabin for the kids... and one for you and Hubbie...

My experiences have shown it does cost more to book two connecting rooms vs. one room with 4 (those 3rd and 4th passenger rates can be pretty low) but it is totally worth the extra expense. Think of the closet/drawer/bathroom space!

SundaysMother... I don't think you have a choice but to book two cabins...

I have never found a ship or cruiseline that that allows 6 people to a cabin. Even the suites have a limitation of 5 people.

I thought I read that this has more to due with fire and safety regulations, as opposed to praticality. I thought I heard that the Destany class is allowed 5 per cabin because they were Grandfathered in. Not real certain of it, however.

Besides... you will love having two cabins.

I have never found a ship or cruiseline that that allows 6 people to a cabin. Even the suites have a limitation of 5 people.

RCI has suites you can have up to 14 people in on Voyager and Freedom class vessels, the family suites will handle six...

SundaysMother... I don't think you have a choice but to book two cabins...

I thought I read that this has more to due with fire and safety regulations, as opposed to praticality. I thought I heard that the Destany class is allowed 5 per cabin because they were Grandfathered in. Not real certain of it, however.

Besides... you will love having two cabins.

Actually Royal Caribbean has some family staterooms that sleep 6. I personally prefer Carnival. I would book two adjoining rooms rather than go with RCCL.

Remember, to book connecting cabins you should book early - they are limited and go fast. Some allow double in one, three or four in the other - so you have to find the right combination of two connected cabins for a family of six. Ask your TA or PVP to find what you need - they may have to look at several ships for availability and then tell you what your choices are. Also - your chance of an upgrade prior to cruising is pretty slim.

We've always had luck getting connecting balcony cabins on Liberty.

Bon voyage!

I agree about getting connecting cabins. The Spirit class ships have a balcony cabin that connects to an inside.

You are correct, on deck 6,7 and 8 forward, but in all cases these cabins do not have uppers or convertible sofas so it isn't a solution for a family of six. In fact I cannot find any set of connecting cabins on the Spirit class that will accommodate 6 people between them.

I do see connecting ocean view cabins on Conquest class that will accommodate three in each. This might work best for the OP's situation.

i am sure the connecting cabins are the way to go.....i once had four small children, they are grown now, but i cannot imagine dealing with the luggage for that age group.....GOOD LUCK! hope you have a great trip! My kids didn't start traveling with us until they were adults and could handle their own luggage....

Beverly

I have booked connecting cabins on Carnival, NCL and RCCL. I would choose RCCL if given the choice because they have Family Staterooms(both oceanview & interior) that sleep 6 comfortably. They also have Family Suites that sleep 8(pretty pricey though!). I cruise Carnival quite often(I am platnium), but RCCL justs beats them out IMO with the amenities offered and the beauty of the ships! Compare prices/intinerary/accomedations. Whichever line is best for YOUR families needs will imerge!!!!!:)

Our family has taken an oceanview/balcony with the 2 youngest in our cabin, 2 oldest across in an inside. They call us on the phone after double locking the door, and again in the morning when they wake up. We stay in our cabin across the hall with the youngest. Our boys loved it because it gave them some privacy and a break from younger siblings. They were also able to sleep in.

There are a limited number of connecting cabins on board. But you can also book two rooms that are next door to each other without the connecting door (easily available on Carnival ships). Carnival will let you book the kids separately in one room if parents are in the adjoining room. If your kids can't handle that you can always split up between the two cabins. I have a family of 5. I would put the kids in a Quad room (two singles plus 2 bunk beds) and have the parents in an adjoining room with queen bed. Enjoy.

My experiences have shown it does cost more to book two connecting rooms vs. one room with 4 (those 3rd and 4th passenger rates can be pretty low) but it is totally worth the extra expense. Think of the closet/drawer/bathroom space!

depends.

On one sailing we had 5 people in an inside cabin at a savings of over 700 to doing it that way.

Our next cruise in August will costs only 200 total for the second added cabin.

Venture: the family suites on Royal are a lot more bucks then staying in a regular cabin.

Especially the presidential suite that holds 14 people- dollar for dollar per person a lot more-- considering you are not in the cabin all that much during the week. but that presidential suite features seperate bedrooms and a hot tub located on the private balcony

I have booked connecting cabins on Carnival, NCL and RCCL. I would choose RCCL if given the choice because they have Family Staterooms(both oceanview & interior) that sleep 6 comfortably. They also have Family Suites that sleep 8(pretty pricey though!). I cruise Carnival quite often(I am platnium), but RCCL justs beats them out IMO with the amenities offered and the beauty of the ships! Compare prices/intinerary/accomedations. Whichever line is best for YOUR families needs will imerge!!!!!:)

We are in the same situation- with 3 kids it is hard to find a cabin that can sleep all of us (well- we can find the cabins but we just can't afford them) With four kids your best bet is to book the two cabins-one for the kids and one for you.

We have booked our 5 in one room on Carnival (Triumph) and that was tight- but we managed.

RCCL does have more options for larger families- and the price is equivocal (and sometimes less) than Carnival. You just have to look around at the costs and analyze the difference.

I enjoy both cruise lines but think RC has more to offer for active families with young kids. Just my thoughts.

Thanks everyone!

I think that our best bet will be to book 2 rooms. Our oldest 2 children a girl and a boy ages 13/12 have stated that NO WAY will they be in a room by themselves without it being connected to ours. Our younger 2 (girl/boy ages 10/6) can't be by themselves.

Now I know that they at least have rooms that connect.

thanks so much!

Archived