Buff Brides?!

briseis23

Hey Lora,

I'd recommend joining the Y. I love my gym and I've made some great new friends. The added bonus is that they are the kinds of friends who are just as excited to meet for a walk as for a cup of coffee (or lately, a water ice). And trust me, when you are having lunch with your Spinning instructor, you are much more likely to order the salad, dressing on the side, no bread, than the burger and fries!

You seem very motivated by competition. Maybe that could help you with the smoking. My fiance couldn't quit until his father said, "Oh, you'll never be able to do it." That's all it took. OK, well that and a lot of nicorette, followed by a lot of regular gum... but he did it. I bet you could convince your finace to let you pick any reward you want for when you are successful. Think of the possibilities...jewelry, clothes, the expensive shore excursion you really want. This could be great!

As for the standstill with the inches... that was me for the past 3 weeks. I hit a major plateau. Just keep going. Make sure you're eating enough calories to keep your metabolism going.

Ok everyone...I'm off to the store in search of my favorite summertime dessert...watermellon. I love it!

We (5 of us) just had a huge watermelon for dessert tonight too! :D

Jewelry, clothes....ahhh...nirvana! lol My fiance is such a sweetie. He's a non smoker but he doesn't ride my butt about my smoking. He said only once that he'd like me to quit for myself but he understands how hard it is and would support me when I'm ready. Nothing said afterwards, no nagging or complaining. I'm waiting to switch insurance to get coverage for Chantix; the new quitting pill. I figure I can use all the help I can get!

Competition keeps me motivated the most. I think it's the accountability that it forces. I have to answer to someone else besides myself, if that makes sense.

Hi everyone! I've been reading this message board for a few weeks now, and I've decided it's finally time to start chatting with all of you and get myself (and my fiance, hopefully) motivated to jump on the bandwagon to get into shape.

A little info on us to catch you all up on what's going on: We are getting married in 12 months (June 1, 2008) on Mariner of the Seas. My fiance and I have been talking about loosing weight (he wants to loose about 40 lbs, I want to loose about 20 lbs) and we both have gym memberships. Have we been going? Of course not....always an excuse from one of us as to why today just isn't a good day to go. A few weeks ago I began working with a personal trainer hoping this would help motivate both of us to start going regualarly, but all I've been doing is working with her with weights twice a week. I can't seem to get him motivated to get to the gym to do cardio, which is not helping with my motivation. I'm the type of person who needs a buddy to keep me going on those hard days.

I read the idea of competing with him to see who can loose the most inches. I think this is a great idea and I will try this with him to see if that will get us both working out more. Any other ideas?

Regardless, I'm making myself a work out schedule that I plan to stick to with or without him (hopefully he will join me once he sees the progress I'm making). We'll see how it goes.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for any advice in advance!

Nikki

Hi Nikki! Congrats on the wedding and welcome. Cardio is my big downfall as well. My "buddy" has become my iPod. Back in the thread here somewhere, someone posted a link (I think it was briesis23) to a really good workout song list. I use it a lot, even if I'm just jumping on my mini-trampoline at home for 30 minutes. I tend to get caught up in the music and forget what I'm really doing. That really makes doing cardio a lot easier. If music isn't your cup of tea, try doing some non-instructed (sans video) cardio in front of the TV or find another "distraction" that works! :)

Hey ladies!!

Off to a good start... weights this morning and just got in from a walk. Food all good.

The tough part is that I know what to do and what to eat... but I just wasn't doing it!

OK.. nothing but positives... I'm going for 2 RPM(spin) classes, 2 weight sessions, and 3 -4 walks this week. And let the pounds and inches fall where they may!!

Hope everyone else is going well.

Cheers!

Hi Ann and Nikki! Welcome and good luck! This is a great board to share what works for each of us.

This last week I've been doing fairly well. I finished week 2 of Buff Brides (22 to go) and started keeping a journal which I write my overall thoughts of the day and the food I had (with the WW points). I'm kind of following a WW diet but no meetings.

I weighed myself today and I lost a little bit more which brings my grand total up to around 10 pounds. I'm so excited! I've started noticing that my jeans are a little looser as well (not enough to go down a size yet though).

This upcoming week is going to be hard since there is a lot going on and I have family coming in town for my sister's graduation party. Not a lot of time to exercise but a lot of time to over-indulge! :rolleyes:

Today I had another family party to go to (I have a pretty big family) and I tried eating a lot of the veggie and fruit tray, and not so much chips and dip. I did ok but there was a downfall here and there. I'm not going to worry about it too much, something I've just got to work on.

Hope you all have a great Memorial Day! Good luck with all of your BBQ's and things like that!

Thanks Rachie!

If you're going to parties and such where there are too many less than healthy choices - try eating a proper meal before you go. That way you might be less hungry and less inclined to go for the easy stuff. Just an idea...

Cheers!

Ann

Hello and congrats to all the new brides!

I also LOVE the Southwest salad from McDonald's. I only use 1/3 the packet of dressing to cut down on calories, and then take of as much cheese as I can (I'm not a big fan of cheese on my salads). I normally am on the road 4 days a week for work, so eating out has become a big part of my routine. Try Subway(they now have bottles of water and apples instead of chips and soda), the salads at different fast food places(try to stay away from the additional things they give you, and don't use all the dressing, it's overkill!!), and bring fruit and veggies with you(I pick up a banana with my morning coffee).

As for the chinese situation... go with Chicken and Broccoli, or anything with Broccoli - it has low calories and fat. If you have to do rice, don't eat it all (I love the salt idea!) and try to go for brown (low carb) rice. Don't eat the fried food!!!! It will detour your diet bigtime.

Hey ladies! Sorry to double post, but I've got some questions about your running. I know some of you have posted about songs you like to run to, and I'm looking to put together a list for myself. I really like the pace of U+Ur Hand and I just downloaded Never Again by Kelly Clarkson, which has about the same pace. Any other songs you like to jog/run to?

Hey ladies! Sorry to double post, but I've got some questions about your running. I know some of you have posted about songs you like to run to, and I'm looking to put together a list for myself. I really like the pace of U+Ur Hand and I just downloaded Never Again by Kelly Clarkson, which has about the same pace. Any other songs you like to jog/run to?

Here's a list that briesis23 posted a few pages back with some great songs on it. I see she already included my favorite "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne. Normally not a big Avril fan, but it's a good one to keep tempo to!

http://buffbridesblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-have-new-workout-partner-its-my-sansa.html

Oh I HATE when that happens. I had everything typed out so nicely and then instead of posting, it just disappeared! Here we go again, but a little shorter this time:

Songs: "Falling for the first time" - Barenaked Ladies

"Uptown Girl" - Billy Joel

"Sexy Back" - Justin Timberlake

"Thanks for the Memories"- Fall out boy (this one is a little faster, and I have no idea what it's actually about...)

I got my butt kicked at the gym today. Boxing class was killer so my arms feel like Jello. Legs are practically screaming between the killer squats at the end of the boxing class and the other squats my trainer decided to add to the program today. Hope you're all having a nice week.

Ok, so I have been doing buff brides for about 3 weeks today. I can definately see results in my thighs. I have given up all sodas, and sweets and are watching my calories. I GAINED 1 pound and have not lost anything, could this be muscle Im gaining? Also I can notice more toning in my arms from the buff brides. I really want to tone my butt, but the buff brides does not target that area much. I have been doing squats on the exercise ball, lunges, etc... anyone have any ideas on how to tone this area.

I'm on Week 3 of Buff Brides right now, too! I've started noticing a difference in my arms and thighs as well. It's awesome! I love having a book to tell me exactly what to do. After the first time my legs were so sore from the squats, but I think I'm getting better at it!

As far as toning the rear, I would recommend doing a lot of stair climbing and/or add some hills/incline on the treadmill. Then you should feel the burn for sure! There's also a Pilates move where you lay on your back on the ground, and lift your rear off the ground while "clenching". :rolleyes: There is a similar move in Buff Brides, on the exercise ball.

Try to keep your butt and core clenched as you do all your BB exercises, lunges/squats, etc. and that might help too.

For some reason my butt has always been like a rock, and I have no idea why (the rest of me certainly ISN'T!) I'm not saying it's small, but it's very muscular! I don't think there are a lot of inches to lose there, :rolleyes: so my goals are mostly focusing on my arms and abs while losing flab everywhere.

Good luck!

I GAINED 1 pound and have not lost anything, could this be muscle Im gaining? quote]

I also forgot to mention that I think you could be gaining muscle weight, even though you are losing inches. Some people take measurements and I think it's a good idea (I would do it but I don't have a tape measurer and keep forgetting to pick one up).

I was a little annoyed at the scale myself after seeing a 1.4 lb gain for the week, so I hope that I am gaining muscle too. I don't feel too bad since I can tell my clothes are more loose, though.

Hello beautiful buff brides!

Sorry to be such a stranger. I'm hoping to take it "easy" for the month of June. I've been travelling too much. Not really good for the diet and exercise stuff!!

I went hiking in North Carolina last weekend, so I definitely think I got a workout. A few hours going up a mountain is more painful than an entire week on the treadmill by far!

Terryvet9, you should get a tape measure. Almost everyone focuses on weight, myself included, but a lot of the brides on here are measuring their wastes and arms, etc. and seeing the results that way. Just a suggestion. I just started doing it. Hopefully I will see some progress there.

Has anyone heard of the Cookie Diet? I actually thought about calling them to see how much it was. I don't care for cookies, but I like the convenience of the program. I'm not sure I like the idea of only getting 800 calories a day, though. Sounds a bit sketchy.

I'm sitting here with legs/gluts so sore that I have to use my arms to lower myself down to the chair. So, Terryvet, this is what my boxing instructor and personal trainer did to cause me so much pain. I'm going to try to explain it well, and it's easy to do, but hard to describe:

-a series of squats, legs wider than shoulder width, all your weight in your heels, the trick to this series is that you never get to rest in between...sink down to the bottom, hold for a four count, then 1/2 way up and down for 8, then back to the bottom and hold for 4 again, then shift over your right heel (kind of like a lunge, but you are still facing forward) and press up to the center for 4, back to the bottom center, hold for 4, shift over your left heel and press up to the center for 4, and BACK to the bottom again and hold for 4. Oh, and my instructor counts SO SLOWLY!

-Then, squats against a wall with an exercise ball between your back and the wall. The ball is mid- to low-back, your legs are slightly forward of your body and all weight is in your heels. To make this extra fun...hold a medicine ball up over your head. Now, squats. As many as it takes to make it burn.

Briseis, I've heard of the cookie diet. Is it a cookie for breakfast and one for lunch and then a regular dinner? As much as I love cookies, I'm not sure I could deal with the monotony of it! And if it's only 800 calories a day, I think you're right that it sounds sketchy!

Now, I'll throw my own "fad" diet into the mix. Anyone heard of "Cleanse?" I'm not sure if that's the real name. It's 9 days and you have a shake for breakfast and lunch, and then a low calorie dinner (like salad with grilled chicken). Then there are 2 cleanse days mixed in with the other days. On those days, no shakes. Instead you swallow 1/2 of "cleanse" 4 times a day and drink lots of water. Apparently it tastes and smells terrible...BUT, my friend did it, and lost 10 pounds in 9 days. AND her doctor recommended it...AND she has diabetes and her blood sugar was fine the whole time. I have to admit...I'm tempted.

Hello beautiful buff brides!

Sorry to be such a stranger. I'm hoping to take it "easy" for the month of June. I've been travelling too much. Not really good for the diet and exercise stuff!!

I went hiking in North Carolina last weekend, so I definitely think I got a workout. A few hours going up a mountain is more painful than an entire week on the treadmill by far!

Terryvet9, you should get a tape measure. Almost everyone focuses on weight, myself included, but a lot of the brides on here are measuring their wastes and arms, etc. and seeing the results that way. Just a suggestion. I just started doing it. Hopefully I will see some progress there.

Has anyone heard of the Cookie Diet? I actually thought about calling them to see how much it was. I don't care for cookies, but I like the convenience of the program. I'm not sure I like the idea of only getting 800 calories a day, though. Sounds a bit sketchy.

I was just coming on board to post and see if anyone knew where you were. It's been awhile since I've seen you! I'm glad to hear you were at least having fun and nothing was wrong! :D

That cookie diet sounds shady to me, too. 800 calories isn't really enough to get your metabolism revving. I'd have to add some more cookies to that. I like to be at a very minimum of 1200 calories a day.

I live and die by my tape measure!! :D Weight isn't really relevant to my body type because I am very muscular and that muscle weighs a lot more. Before getting the "baby" belly, I had a borderline 6 pack and cue ball biceps. My legs are still very solid; nothing pinches off on them. They need toned though, which the measuring system reflects that progress much better. You also see progress a lot faster using measurements.

I measure my bust, waist, hips, thighs, biceps, and calf. I don't measure both arms and legs but I make sure I consistently use one side for measurement; I happen to use my right. Make sure you get the tape measure in the same spot every time as well to get accurate measurements! :)

Mandabear, do the shakes come in General Tso's chicken? Just kidding. I forgot to comment on your Chinese takeout issue. Have you tried "allowing" yourself one day a week to have whatever you want? That has worked for me in the past. I call it my cheat day. :)

Never heard of Cleanse. It also sounds scary, but interesting. So you think cookies would be monotonous, but not shakes alternated with some weird nasty tasting solution? You're so funny. I looked at the Cookie Diet website and they have several flavors, including a pizza one. Plus they also have shakes and soups.

I would much rather change my lifestyle, such as diet and fitness habits, than go on a fad diet, but the progress is so slow!

Are you all trying to kill yourselves???? Take in less calories than you expend, and you will lose weight. BUT--they have to be HEALTHY calories--not fats and sugars! (ie: cookies!) If you don't want to diet heavily, move more. It's really quite simple.

Ok, so I have been doing buff brides for about 3 weeks today. I can definately see results in my thighs. I have given up all sodas, and sweets and are watching my calories. I GAINED 1 pound and have not lost anything, could this be muscle Im gaining? Also I can notice more toning in my arms from the buff brides. I really want to tone my butt, but the buff brides does not target that area much. I have been doing squats on the exercise ball, lunges, etc... anyone have any ideas on how to tone this area.

I HIGHLY recommend "The Firm" workout system for toning the tooshie. Their "fanny lifter" works miracles. It's a 14 inch step with instructional videos. It's a killer workout, hurts like Hades for the first few weeks, but it does work!! I purchased the system off of eBay for a fraction of the price in stores or on the website.

Are you all trying to kill yourselves???? Take in less calories than you expend, and you will lose weight. BUT--they have to be HEALTHY calories--not fats and sugars! (ie: cookies!) If you don't want to diet heavily, move more. It's really quite simple.

Hmmm... "quite simple." Well if that's all you have to add to the conversation (which is all this is, since you'll notice none of us have actually DONE those fad diets) maybe you should take your comments elsewhere.

Briseis, I've heard of the cookie diet. Is it a cookie for breakfast and one for lunch and then a regular dinner? As much as I love cookies, I'm not sure I could deal with the monotony of it! And if it's only 800 calories a day, I think you're right that it sounds sketchy!

That cookie diet sounds shady to me, too. 800 calories isn't really enough to get your metabolism revving. I'd have to add some more cookies to that. I like to be at a very minimum of 1200 calories a day.

---that was briesis23....it didn't quote right

Probably spoken like a 90 pounder.... :rolleyes: Darn, I'm biting my tongue hard here. That's ok though...it'll burn a few calories! :D

If you read the posts closely (bolded above for your perusal), you'd see that no one was considering doing something like that. This thread discusses all sorts of diet and exercise fads, trends, etc.. that we've heard of and wish to just discuss. Charging in and exclaiming "are you all trying to kill yourselves????" and saying "it's really quite simple" and adding "if you don't want to diet, move more" is not very supportive of the people on this thread. It's rather detrimental of what this thread is trying to accomplish.

If you would like to offer some constructive advice and some support, I'm sure we'd love to listen. The way you put your statement out there is probably not going to set well with the ladies here, myself included. I think that most of us, especially judging by the raised eyebrows regarding the "cookie diet" have pretty much figured out the basics of dieting. We didn't need your condescending "advice" on top of our struggles already. Your wording, no offense intended, was like the proverbial pin in the balloon. If you had read the entire thread, or even half of it, there wouldn't have been a need to berate the posters here.

Hey ladies! I just wanted to comment on the 800 calorie thing, and the other "fad" diets also.... If you don't take in enough calories every day to cover your movement, your body will go into survival mode, your metabolism will go down to a minimal amount, and you may actually gain weight. The idea of getting at least 1200 calories a day sounds good to me, just make sure it's not all cookies. ;)

BTW - I weight in tomorrow at WW and I'm pretty sure I'm going to make my goal weight! yay!!

CB At Sea, the cookies are not the ones you buy in the store. They are meal replacements packed with vitamins and stuff. No way would I ever think I could eat 800 calories of Oreos and call it a diet! It's a medically supervised rapid weight loss program. And FYI, I don't even LIKE cookies, which I did mention in that post. I'd take a bowl of steamed veggies over a couple cookies any day!

I found a good article today about taking in and burning calories and how to calculate what you need to do to lose a pound: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=27

It definitely gave me a better understanding of the relationship between diet, exercise, and weight loss. Not even my nutritionist explained it this well!

Hi Luvmytbear! Yes, I'm alive (not "killing myself" on cookie diets or anything...lmao). I was in DC and then spent the holiday weekend camping and hiking in North Carolina. So I haven't been online much at all! Glad to know I was missed!

With all my slacking off, I gained almost a pound this past week. :(

Wow, take in less calories than you expend? Is this some new-fangled diet strategy? I've never heard of that before! It's seems sooo easy, who would have thought there would be such a popular topic with all these posters and not one of us would have thought of that without you! Thanks soooo much cb at sea!!! :rolleyes:

By the way, this CB person posts an average of 2.97 times per day. SOMEONE must think they are important! She apparently has the answer to everything! :) So don't take her comments personal. She just has a lot of time on her hands and nothing better to do.

Archived