Greece or Western Mediterranean??

ernieb

I am considering a Mediterannean cruise in September. There are two 10 day iteneraries out of Rome on the Westerdam. One goes primarily to Greece and the other travels west to Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca. Both return to Rome.

Could anyone give me an idea on which would be best for a first time visit to the Mediterranean?

This is tough and you can't go wrong with either one and this would make for a most fabulous back-to back cruise. I think the Grecian intinerary is better, especially for the first time in the Med. It's the whole cradle of civilization thing with Turkey, Greece and Rome. And then a full day in Croatia- fabulous.

Having said this, we opted for the other intinerary as the timing worked better for us and I am going to enjoy the challenge of researching Tunisa to make the best use of port time.

Given both sail r/t from Rome you need to plan extra time either before or after for this most wonderful and expensive city. The other thing I like about the Grecian intinerary is that you have a "at sea" day right off the bat. This gives you time to recover from jet lag, the exhiliration that is Rome, if you spend time pre-cruise and allows you to get a feel for the ship before 6 consecutive and absolutely exhausting port days.

As I said, you can't go wrong with either intinerary and you have chosen a better time of year to sail into these hot ports. Enjoy and make sure you tell us all about it when you return.

I'm sure either itinerary would be a fantastic choice. You really can't go wrong in the Med.

Having said that, the Eastern Med is amazing, particularily the Greek Islands. And as hammybee said above, definately plan on spending a couple days before or after the cruise in Rome - it's a city with so much history in it that it's actually hard to take it all in. A must-see.

Our first trip to Europe was on the Rotterdam, May 2005. It was such a great trip!! We went a few days early and stayed in Venice, caught our ship and went to Croatia, 3 ports in Greece (Santorini our favorite, Navplion and Athens), Kudasi Turkey, Naples, Messina Sicily and got off in Rome and spent 3 days there. Went to the Vatican on the day we disembarked, took a train to Florence the next day and then Rome on the 3rd day. What a trip I would reccomend it to everyone. We can hardly wait to go back.

Kathy

Both are fine itineraries. I've been to all those ports (minus Croatia). When we did our Med cruise, we chose a 16 day out od Athens which went to Turkey, Rhodes, Crete, Malta, Naples, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon, Vigo, Channel Islands, then to Harwich. It was a great cruise. If you have the time and $$$ to spend, a Back to Back would be excellent.

We went on a 7 day western med cruise in june of 2006. This was the best trip ever. We went to pompii, rome including the Collusium and St Peters , next day we went to Piza and finally to the south of France and Monte Carlo. We sailed from Barcelona, Spain on the NCL Jewel. We saw more history in 7 days then we ever could have seen on land. Finally, we planned the trip with Airfrance, and began the entire adventure in Paris. If you travel Air France and 'stop' in paris for 23.5 hours or less, they consider it a 'stop over' at no extra costs. So throw the Effell tower and the Louve in and you got one heck of an adventure. I must say, next summer we are off to Greece and Egypt, got to see those pyramids next!:D

We did one that was a bit of a combination -- we got to Greece and Istanbul but also the West coast of Italy and Marseille. It was a very nice trip. Check out

the Halls Med Cruise

for our review and pictures.

There are so many different Med itineraries and they are all good, so you really can't go wrong. This is one time I might let the ship be a deciding factor for me.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi, its a hard decision but we are going the Westerdam, the ten day including Italy (and not Greece). Now, I have worked on an archeological dig in Greece (years ago), and will miss one of my favorite places, Santorni Island.

However, my personal opinion is that a first timer should go to Italy, including Pompei and the Amafi Coast, and Florence. I have been to half the ports on both and choose the one with Barcelona Spain and Italy for a first timer, my Dh a DD. I have also not been to Monte Carlo.

There is an added bonus. This itinerary stops in Tunis which is on the African continent. If you haven't been to Africa and are trying to go to all the continents in the world, well this is the African continent.

You won't go wrong with either itinerary though.

The title of the post, with the "thumbs down" symbol, inplies that one of the itineraries should be rated a "thumbs down". In truth, they are both a BIG thumbs up, IMO. You just can't go wrong with either. We did the western on Celebrity in 2002 and two Eastern in 2006. all were fantastic cruises. You just have to decide which appeals to you, personally, the most.

I agree with all above posters. You can't go wrong with either. We did both b2b last summer. If you can only do one, and this is your first time in the Med., I would do the eastern itinerary. It is like a pilgrimage to the cradle of civilization, very moving. Dubrovnik is a gem. Santorini is beautiful. The archaeological sites of Olympia and Ephesus are spectacular. But, the French Riviera, Barcelona, and Palma de Mallorca are pretty amazing too. Either way, you'll have a wonderful time.

I am considering a Mediterannean cruise in September. There are two 10 day iteneraries out of Rome on the Westerdam. One goes primarily to Greece and the other travels west to Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca. Both return to Rome.

Could anyone give me an idea on which would be best for a first time visit to the Mediterranean?

We did the West one but got Malta instead of Palma de Mallorca ... and were happy about that. We thought Palermo was a dud, and would have liked 2 days at Naples to do both Pompeii and the Amalfi coast tour. We chose the latter, and enjoyed it tremendously, but wish we could have seen Pompeii too. We'd like to back for the East cruise, but can't take the long plane rides very well any more. :(

I do not know the story in September but in May, these can be booked as 2 independent 10 day sails or a 20 day. If booked as a 20 day, the savings are incredible. An outside cabin can be had for $ 1700 less per cabin ( assumes 2 pax) than if booking this as 2 separate cruises. An SY can be had for about $1300 less per cabin.

The cost per diem, per pax, is a tremendous value compared to a mediocre hotel room, let alone food, entertainment and most importantly, a consistent service level and common language.

If you can afford the time, this is the one to do and will make the most of the time and cost to fly over.

The title of the post, with the "thumbs down" symbol, inplies that one of the itineraries should be rated a "thumbs down". In truth, they are both a BIG thumbs up, IMO. You just can't go wrong with either. We did the western on Celebrity in 2002 and two Eastern in 2006. all were fantastic cruises. You just have to decide which appeals to you, personally, the most.

I suspect that the "Thumb Down" symbol by Ernieb was just a fairly common newbie mistake.

We've never cruised an Eastern, but I'm sure you're right about both being "Thumb Up".:)

You're right about the thumbs down symbol. To my old eyes it looked like a question mark. I certainly appreciate all the help. I am thinking we will do the eastern side this time. We don't have enough time to both, plus the Westerdam seem to be out of service for seven days between the two.

My wife and I for our 40th Anniversary went on a Eastern Mediterranean Cruise last May on the Rotterdam. It was a 12 day Ancient Wonders Cruise which included sailing up into the Black Sea. We always wanted to see Venice, Athens and the ancient roman ruins of Ephesus in Kusadasi, and in particular the Pyramids. We spent three days in Venice pre-cruise and three days post cruise in Athens. This cruise encompassed everything we could hope for having only cruised once before some 18 years ago for four days. I am glad we did the eastern mediterranean cruise first. We were so happy with the ship, the weather and the calm seas that we are completing our Mediterranean adventure by seeing the Western Mediterrean on the Rotterdam this coming May, which is the European Capitals tour which lasts 16 days.

Whatever choice you make you won't be dissappointed with the Mediterranean. May & September are suppost to be the best times to travel the Mediterranean as it does not get overly hot.

Happy Cruising:)

So at least three posters have mentioned Santorini as their favorite port. We will be there in the Fall, and frankly I don't quite understand what there is to do there. I would love to hear why you like it and what you did.

Santorini is tiny and mostly vertical, with about about 12 villages. Thira and Oia are probably the best known to tourists. The upscale shopping, galleries, dining and drinking are a lot of fun. If one is going to shop in Greece, this is the place for it, but don't expect bargains. The ruins are so-so, as these things go. So are the beaches.

I love the architecture and the views from everywhere, land to sea and sea to land. Talk about eye-candy.

There is substantial night life and most of it is geared towards 20 somethings or wannabees.

Mike, I think your flying monkey is gonna like this place :)

I am doing both of these cruises back-to-back on the westerdam in august. I am definitely excited about both itineraries; if I had to pick just one, I would go with the eastern med, but, that's largely because I've already been to Florence and Barcelona.

Re: Santorini,

I was there is 1984 after spending a month working on an Archeological dig in Ithaka Island (a green Island where no big tour boats go).

As far as Santorini, I would just walk around and not hire a tour guide. Explore the Island. I recall sampling the wines and liking them. At the time they were unearthing ruins. That Prof. is still there and in a current Imax about the Island. I'm assuming the site is still open to view. I won't make it back yet as I've chosen the Hal cruise featuring Greece as my DH and DD have not been there.

It's a beautiful Island and should make a relaxing day after taking lots of organized tour everwhere else.

Re: Santorini--also. We rented a car and drove all around the island in October, ended up in Oia for the sunset (we didn't leave the island until 10pm). If you haven't already done so go the the ports boards and there is a ton of information, advice and reviews there. For the other ports check you rollcall and see if anyone is putting togther groups with private guides. You are so lucky to be planning this wonderful trip.

Archived