OT---cloth diapers

Catnip

This is off-topic but I have a question for the moms (or dads) here. I am curious as to how many parents these days use cloth diapers? I was looking through a catalog today and saw some old-fashioned cloth diapers for sale. I did not know many, if any, folks these days took the time to use cloth diapers.

Just wondering.........

(26 prior cruises & 2 flights on Concorde)

It has been said that angels, while on Earth,

aren't allowed to show their wings,

but nothing was ever said

about not showing their whiskers. <^..^>

I don't use cloth diapers, but I know of alot of people who do. By doing a simple web search for cloth diapers you will see entire websites devoted to cloth diapering. You will also see the rationalle behind the preference of cloth diapers to disposables.

I used them for when my daughter had a rash and when potty training. The airflow is better for rashes (as long as you change them quickly) and they are so wet during training that it seems to help.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

I like them for dusting. and cleaning knick knacks. Also good for cleaning my glasses.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

I use them for dusting also!!!!

(26 prior cruises & 2 flights on Concorde)

It has been said that angels, while on Earth,

aren't allowed to show their wings,

but nothing was ever said

about not showing their whiskers. <^..^>

My next door neighbour (very environmentally conscientious) used them for her little boy (now 4 years old) - no diaper rashes and she felt it made toilet training easier. My best friend also used diapers (but her little! boy is now at university - so I guess that does not count).

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;2;1;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until NCL SKY

I use them for my 2 month old daughter - not to diaper her but for burp clothes. They work rather nice. We used them when my son was little too then when he didn't need them anymore we started using them for dusting and cleaning.

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 3/00

RCCL Explorer of the Seas 4/01

Carnival Sensation 12/01 with Rusty Wallace

Celebrity Summit 12/02

Celebrity Horizon 9/03(Mom never told me that Bermuda looks like Canada)

NCL Dawn 7/04

I used them for both my children, now 9 & 12. It was cheaper than disposables even with the diaper service.

My experience was a long time go, but I'm sure plenty of people still use them.

Yolanda

Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;05;09;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

15_4_109.gif

Not only did I use them with my two (who are now happily out of that phase of their lives!) but I made them as well. It's as near to a sweatshop as I ever care to get again - a lot of work for very little money.

Namaste,

Heather

Sailing on the Triumph ~ 9/18/04 - Roll Call

pleasedontstealmethanks.gif

I used cloth diapers from a diaper service for my three children. I started because my oldest has very sensitive skin and couldn't use anything else. Even home laundered cloth didn't work for her without being rinsed several times to remove detergent residue. The service was more convenient than trying to do them myself and less expensive than disposables. If you are nervous about using pins they have waterproof covers with velcro closures these days. And before you ask- we never had a problem with odor from the diaper pail between pickups!

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't think anyone used cloth diapers anymore! When my kids were small, I used a combination. I worked 4 days per week and would take disposable for the babysitter, or when we were out of the house. At home I used cloth, it was a money saver in the long run. Maybe I should pick up some cloth diapers again, they were great for dusting!

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

Being very frugal, I tried cloth diapers but decided they weren't worth the extra work. I found an extremely cheap source of second-quality disposables that delivered by the case right to my door. I paid about $6/week for diapers, but that was 7 years ago. I decided that the negligible savings on cloth wasn't worth the effort. I saved much more by breastfeeding exclusively, then making my own homemade baby food.

I agree that they're a great idea environmentally, and I felt a bit guilty for using disposables on that account.

• 3 weeks later...

I used a cloth diaper service for my daughter. She is now 19 months old and well on her way to being potty trained. I had less odor issue with the cloth than with disposables which we used when we travel. I must say that if I had to wash and dry them myself I probably would not have been able to keep up with it.

Cloth diaperer here. :) Been since Cordie was 4 months old, will with the new baby too. :) I haven't bought disposables since December!

We use pocket-style diapers (the brand we use is fuzzibunz), same ease as a disposable diaper, just add as many liners to them as you think your baby needs. We've cloth diapered on two vacations so far, just washed in the sink & hung to dry. :)

I used cloth diapers for my two kids. I put them in a sanitizing solution for a few hours then laundered them myself. It was better for their skin as they only had one or two minor diaper rashes. Much more environmentaly friendly as well. Did use disposables when we were travelling and they did not hold as much wet as the cloth diapers. It was cheaper in the long run to use cloth diapers as well.

Hi Catnip. How have you been?

We starting using cloth diapers for our son after he developed a rash from prolonged use of disposables. This was many years ago (he's 10 years old now, wow!) and we purchased them from a company that I believe has been sold since then. The diapers were so soft -- they were hourglass-shaped and fit into a cloth diaper cover that fastened with Velcro. Washing them was really no big deal, and they were very easy to use.

Yes, they do make excellent dustcloths!

BTW, we did use disposables when traveling.

Lisa,

Hi! I have been looking for you over on the Cunard board. How are you and your family? My husband and I are toying with the idea of a crossing on the QM 2 next summer. Nothing definite, just in the planning stages. We really love the crossings!

My mom and I are booked on an April sailing on Celbrity's Summit. It's a 10-day Caribbean cruise and we're relly looking forward to it. :)

I had no idea so many mom's still use cloth diapers. That's great! And like everyone has said, they really do make good dust-cloths!! ;)

Archived