Summer 08 Ships from New York. Any new?

js

I am currently researching cruises for end of June/July 08 for my daughter's 8th grade graduation. My family of 4 (kids will be 14 and 10) cruise often usually during Easter and almost always on RCCL (with exception of 1 DCL, 1-NCL, 1-CCL). We want to cruise out of NY or NJ and thinking about jumping over to NCL from NY or NJ (not sure where they leave from).

Anyway, for summer 08 will there be any new ships leaving from NY/NJ? I want a new ship, on the bigger side, that leaves NJ/NY.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

I don't believe the summer '08 itineraries have been released yet, but you might have the Gem sailing from NY. It's still under construction. New enough? :D

-Monte

So far, as of last weekend, only Carnival (not all of its ships), Disney (both ships), and Holland America (only one ship) have summer 2008 itineraries open for booking. So, NCL is in the same boat as Carnival (some ships)Celebrity (all ships), Holland America (most ships), Princess (all ships) and Royal Caribbean (all ships), without summer 2008 itineraries.

Why do you find that hard to believe when NCL is in line with most of the cruise industry? Unrealistic expectations?

Last year, NCL started selling summer 2007 itineraries in late April, and didn't have all it's ships open for booking until early June. Why do you expect differently this year?

All the cruise lines keep their summer itineraries close to their chest. Look at Holland America itineraries for a surprisingly, shocking fact. They have winter 2008-2009 itineraries up for most of it's fleet, but not the summer 2008 itineraries. Just goes to prove how close to their chest they keep the summer itineraries. Why do they do so? Because they make most of their profits every year, year by year, during the summer cruise season. By waiting, they can best judge where their ships will make the most profits, and avoid unsatisifed customers with itinerary changes. Not one wants to get stuck with a poor itinerary during the summer cruise season.

Hi there, we are also impatiently waiting for the summer '08 NCL itineraries out of New York.

MY TA and I keep harassing (in a nice way) NCL to see if anybody has any new news. I actually have a group of family and frineds and we would love to do an NCL sailing out of NY (no NJ sailings that I know of for NCL) in July 0f 2008.

Everybody is chomping at the bit waiting for me to give them itineraries and prices. We priced the Carnvial Miracle, but the 3rd and 4th person rates are horrendous.

We do not want to do the Bahamas/Florida, did that on the Spirit, not enough time in Port Canaveral to enjoy the park. It looks like the GEM is goi to stick to Bahamas and Florida. I am also hoping NCL is goign to send another ship ou way. Will visit again if I hear anything!!!!

Why do you find that hard to believe when NCL is in line with most of the cruise industry? Unrealistic expectations?

Last year, NCL started selling summer 2007 itineraries in late April, and didn't have all it's ships open for booking until early June. Why do you expect differently this year?

Wow-I don't know where you got the impression that I thought any of those things from my post! I just said the itineries aren't out yet and that the Gem might be sailing from NY. I'm confused!

-Monte

Wow-I don't know where you got the impression that I thought any of those things from my post! I just said the itineries aren't out yet and that the Gem might be sailing from NY. I'm confused!

-Monte

I was wondering the same thing!!!!! I thought you were being helpful:)

Anyway, to the OP:

What a wonderful 8th grade graduation gift!!!! I am trying to plan a group cruise out of NY around the same time frame as you next year. I spoke to someone at NCL a few weeks ago and she said they are still hammering out the details of the NY 2008 schedule and it should be out by April. Other than the Gem, she seemed to think there would be another ship out of NY. She also speculated that we would see something other than the Fl/Bahama sailings the Gem is doing in the spring. Also leaving out of NYC is the Carnival Miracle, which I have heard wonderful things about. It is also a big, newer ship. The 2008 schedule and prices have been released for the Miracle out of NY. For this year's sailings (2007), Carnival seems to be a little more expensive, but when I was comparing prices for my 2005 cruise, I actually got lower quotes on Celebrity and Carnival out of NY/NJ. So, I guess we'll have to wait and see:) On a side note after reading the "Daily News" thread on this board, I am very weary of booking the Gem out of NY the end of June/beg of July:(

On a side note after reading the "Daily News" thread on this board, I am very weary of booking the Gem out of NY the end of June/beg of July:(

I think you mean "wary" but could you please enlighten me as to why you feel that way.:confused:

So far, as of last weekend, only Carnival (not all of its ships), Disney (both ships), and Holland America (only one ship) have summer 2008 itineraries open for booking. So, NCL is in the same boat as Carnival (some ships)Celebrity (all ships), Holland America (most ships), Princess (all ships) and Royal Caribbean (all ships), without summer 2008 itineraries.

All the cruise lines keep their summer itineraries close to their chest. Look at Holland America itineraries for a surprisingly, shocking fact. They have winter 2008-2009 itineraries up for most of it's fleet, but not the summer 2008 itineraries. Just goes to prove how close to their chest they keep the summer itineraries. Why do they do so? Because they make most of their profits every year, year by year, during the summer cruise season. By waiting, they can best judge where their ships will make the most profits, and avoid unsatisifed customers with itinerary changes. Not one wants to get stuck with a poor itinerary during the summer cruise season.

electricon ... might you have misread monte's post ?

I think you mean "wary" but could you please enlighten me as to why you feel that way.:confused:

Oops, I apologize for the spelling error!!!! And for any future ones I might make!!!!

I didn't elaborate on my previous post to avoid turning this thread into the "Daily News" thread part 2! But since you asked:

I am planning a big group cruise out of NY for 2008. Since many of us have children or are teachers, and school gets out June 29, I was looking at either the first or second week in July. I was leaning towards the Gem (depending on the itinerary), with the Carnival Miracle a close second. But now after recent events regarding the July 7, 2007 sailing of the NCL Dawn out of NY, I am strongly considering going with Carnival for this one. In a nutshell: NCL made the decision to allow the entire ship to be chartered out, cancelling the cruise for all those who were booked with less than 5 months notice!!!! Needless to say, for someone planning a big group trip, this would be a logistical nightmare!!!! The reason why I am wary of booking the Gem same time next year is threefold. First, the group that chartered the Dawn is family oriented so it would only make sense if they decide to sail from NY again that they would pick a sailing after school is out. Second, the central figure of this charter has strong ties to NCL. And finally, the Gem is going to be the newest, most desirable ship sailing out of NY.

I have no problem with cruise companies chartering out entire ships. They would be foolish not to! I have no problem with the celebrity at the center of all this or her group. I think her cruises are a wonderful concept. What I do have a problem with is paying customers getting bumped with less than 5 months notice!

Hope this clears up my statement. Have a great day:)

I have had to change plans for a vacation and have been cancelled for a train and several flights when I walked up! Five months is a long, long time in comparison to no minutes. Let us keep things in perspective.

Keep in mind Carnival booked a chartered three ships to the US government with less than a weeks notice.

Oops, I apologize for the spelling error!!!! And for any future ones I might make!!!!

I didn't elaborate on my previous post to avoid turning this thread into the "Daily News" thread part 2! But since you asked:

I am planning a big group cruise out of NY for 2008. Since many of us have children or are teachers, and school gets out June 29, I was looking at either the first or second week in July. I was leaning towards the Gem (depending on the itinerary), with the Carnival Miracle a close second. But now after recent events regarding the July 7, 2007 sailing of the NCL Dawn out of NY, I am strongly considering going with Carnival for this one. In a nutshell: NCL made the decision to allow the entire ship to be chartered out, cancelling the cruise for all those who were booked with less than 5 months notice!!!! Needless to say, for someone planning a big group trip, this would be a logistical nightmare!!!! The reason why I am wary of booking the Gem same time next year is threefold. First, the group that chartered the Dawn is family oriented so it would only make sense if they decide to sail from NY again that they would pick a sailing after school is out. Second, the central figure of this charter has strong ties to NCL. And finally, the Gem is going to be the newest, most desirable ship sailing out of NY.

I have no problem with cruise companies chartering out entire ships. They would be foolish not to! I have no problem with the celebrity at the center of all this or her group. I think her cruises are a wonderful concept. What I do have a problem with is paying customers getting bumped with less than 5 months notice!

Hope this clears up my statement. Have a great day:)

Thanks for the clarification. I initially thought it was something to do with the ship (which had me worried) and then realised that you were probably referring to the potential of the ship being chartered.

For what it's worth, the historic modus operandi of the "celebrity" in discussion is to do her charter in early to mid July. So you are probably safe if you book a cruise that embarks before or after that time, and can add "insurance" by going on a longer (10 or 11 day) itinerary if they are made available (the longest she's ever chartered is 9 days; given the stiffness of the pricing -- bottom of the barrel inside cabins start at $2,000 per person -- it appears her "target market" isn't willing to spring for longer ones).

Thank you all, you too mbisson LOL, you were being helpful so don't worry LOL

I called NCL and the woman told me summer 08 itineraries should be out in a month or two and speculated it would be Gem out of NY but said they too are kept in the dark.

I would be looking at last week of June, beginning of July or anytime between June/July. We also go away end of August so I can't book that month.

I've never been a big Rosie fan but I can only imagine how upset she would be, speaking endlessly on her show, if it were she that had to rebook and find a new cruise.

Did NCL let the people who werre originally booked on the charter rebook to a comparable ship for same price? I quickly read they were given $100 towards their next cruise. Booking one year away and 5 months before the summer, I am sure prices have gone up.

I will also have family coming with us and booking about 5/6 cabins. Some connecting. I woudl be bummed if I couldn't rebook for a different week with our connecting rooms since I know we need connecting balconies.

Thank you all very much for your help.

I would be looking at last week of June, beginning of July or anytime between June/July.

Be wary of the beginning of July - Ms. O'Donnell chartered the Dawn 7/7 sailing this year, and NCL waited until only 5 months out to alert people who had booked that they were getting booted.

I have had to change plans for a vacation and have been cancelled for a train and several flights when I walked up! Five months is a long, long time in comparison to no minutes. Let us keep things in perspective.

Keep in mind Carnival booked a chartered three ships to the US government with less than a weeks notice.

With all the flights I have taken I have seen my fair share of getting bumped, delayed, and cancelled due to weather, mechanical failure, and missed connections. And while these events caused mild headaches, I don't think this comes close to the stress I would endure if I had to reschedule the group cruise (30 plus people) I am coordinating for 2008 with 4 1/2 months notice!!!!

By stating above that I am wary of booking the Gem out of NY the beg of July, I am just going with the odds. Rosie's group has chartered NCL ships out of NY early July for 3 out of the last 4 years! It is no different than you warning cc members not to book NCL out of NY in January due to a certain school that has a track record of disrupting January sailings!!!! I was simply posting a warning to the OP, who like me is looking to book a big family cruise next July. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea for anyone booking a cruise on any line to do a google search beforehand (or have your TA do some digging) to see if there are any large groups planned that could potentially get you bumped. Better yet wouldn't it be nice if the cruiselines were forced to disclose this info to potential customers. That way, people would not have to be surprised when they get bumped for a charter or end up on a partial charter, as I have read that these can get very rowdy!

In her blog, Rosie puts all the blame for this on NCL. I agree with her!!!! Her group cruise was announced last year and people in her group have been booking as far back as last August 2006. Again, JMO, but I really think NCL dropped the ball on this one!!!! Why did they wait so long to start bumping if this charter was in the works for a year??? People bumped from last week's Jewel were given 8 months notice. IMO this was a fair amount of time.

If the above example is in reference to when Carnival chartered out 3 of it's ships to the US Government to house people displaced from hurricane Katrina, I have to ask you if it's really fair to compare one of this country's worst disasters to a celebrity endorsed charter???

If this charter was a charity sponsored cruise, for example Lupus, there wouldn't even be a discussion on this website. None.

Frankly, it doesn't matter whether its the government, a charity you favor, a group you like or don't, or any celebrity.

If its okay for the US government to charter 3 ships within a week, why can't private enterprise do it?

From all of those links above from other media sources, practically all of the jokes or criticisms dealth with Rosie, not NCL.

I see this as no difference between being bumped by a charter or whether the ship went into drydock. Surely this one family can email one another within a day to decide to book their cruise a week earlier or later, or another cruise line. I could do it in less than 15 minutes for myself.

It appears NCL waited for her final payment before cancelling the cruise. That is a sound business practice.

It appears NCL waited for her final payment before cancelling the cruise. That is a sound business practice.

From a financial perspective? Yes.

From a customer relations perspective? Absolutely not.

And those who think the former always trumps the latter don't know business.;)

Business also has to include marketing too. Business don't spend millions of dollars on marketing, without expecting many more millions in return.

NCL and most of the cruise lines post their next summer's itineraries in the April/May time period. Therefore, summer itineraries are posted 14 to 17 months in advance. No one can charter a ship until the cruise lines post an itinerary. Therefore, all charters bump some passengers off.

Many can not wait for the next summer's itineraries to be posted. They will most likey book the first day the itineraries are posted.

Business is business. Its amazing how many pro consumers become pro business when they own a business. Every cruise line would have booked this charter. Any business that doesn't care about its bottom line goes out of business.

Archived