***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

We have cruised quite a few times and tend to bring a lot of dressy clothes since we are not sleping our luggage all over Europe.

Have you noticed that the dress is any more casual just for packing sake? I hate to admit it but I don't want my dh to pack a jacket - cause there goes all my room :D

Dear Blackegg:

Thank you for being so generous with your time in reporting from the Freedom!!

Questions:

1. How are the ship's stabilizers - is it a fairly smooth ride?

2. Have you heard if any aft cabins experience extra noise from engines?

3. Have you seen many tables for TWO?

Thanks!!!

Lill

Dear Friends:

UUGHHH...I just wrote out a 15 minute post and the machine zapped off before I sent it. Here goes again....

I cannot imagine a more beautiful day here in paradise. I can look up from my keyboard - now a normal one - and see the multi-colorerd flags waving in the sunny breeze off the back bow of the CARNIVAL FREEDOM. We all are enjoying the cruise and not much new to report. The service and food is still top notch. We arrived on time today in Rhodes and it is ideallic (sp?) - sunny and mid 70's. WHY aren't more of you here already? Still shivering in the middle of winter?!?

My wife and daughter made it back on board without their cruise card and were issued a new one. We were thankful for that.

Now on to the ???s:

Dick and Anita - I told John Heald that you were seeking to contact him. He said he knew you and would call you. I CANNOT guarantee that it will happen of course. I mentioned the same to his wife and she said they receive 50-60 messages a day and hardly have time for their work on board.

I almost gave up on finding an Internet cafe but my daughter spied a sign right next to the ship. There are six machines here and we are the only ones using it. I can't imagine why more people are not using the Internet. HHmmm - maybe they are on vacation?!? If you try hard enough, you can always find one and they are very cheap compared to on board. Today I will spend 6 euros for my time. Yesterday in Turkey, they took only one euro. I even asked a travel agent near the ship if she would let me use her Internet!

I saw only one table of ten but I was told that was the captain's table. He never comes and others are seated there.

There are plenty of table for two people in the dining rooms.

There are not many kids on-board, especially teens. This is still school time which may explain that and we are in Europe. We have mostly a middle and older crowd of Americans with a few Europeans. The whole cruise feels like it is just a normal cruise that could be anywhere in the world.

Each of the two dining rooms have their own Maitredees. In the Chic dining room it is Dino - very friendly and helpful. He changed us from a table of 8 to a table of 4 and we are delighted.

They have a self service laundry on each near near midship. They have four washers and four dryers which cost $2 per usage. They take only quarters and the pursers desk is happen to give you a roll of quarters (for ten bucks of course!!)

Ron is in the Piano bar but I haven't seen him yet. We don't drink or gamble so the cruise is not rushing from one place to another for us. The entertainment which I have mentioned is the weak spot in my opinion is centered on music and dancing. They had a comic juggler who was pretty good last night.

There are very few first time cruisers on this ship I think so most people have come prepared for formal nights - we have had only one thus far. So people are dressed formally when needed but don't overdue it. They have tux rental on board.

The ship has experienced some movement with the high winds at seas at nights and while you feel an occasional sway and creaking, the ship handles it well. I have mentioned about the manuvering thrusters roaring very loudly in the dining rooms. But that does not happen at night. We have never had disturbing or annoying noises in our cabins (we are 1421) Deck 1 aft.

Glad to see another current shipmate giving her impressions. I agree that the ship decor is weird.

I will check this thread for maybe two more weeks after we go home. I am hoping someone soul from the 3/14 sailing will keep this thread alive for others.

Tomorrow is finally a sea day. This is a very port intensive schedule and be ready to walk endless kilometers. That does help when you are getting into your fourth or fifth shrimp cocktail!!

I need to be back on board in less than one hour for a 15:00 sailing to Naples, Italy. That will be my last chance to report from the ship and it may be hard to find an Internet cafe there. I guess I could always splurge the 75 cents per minute on the ship and give you some expensive parting words.

You will enjoy your cruise. Pack light and begin to "stretch your stomach" for the culinary treasures ahead.

Ship Ahoy,

Blackegg

My wife and daughter made it back on board without their cruise card and were issued a new one. We were thankful for that.

I am really glad to hear this!! On previous cruises they've made it sound like you won't be let back on without it!

I will check this thread for maybe two more weeks after we go home. I am hoping someone soul from the 3/14 sailing will keep this thread alive for others.

It would be great if someone from each sailing could keep this going!

I just looked at the webcam on the Carnival Freedom and there are actually 3 people in the hot tub!!! It is rare for me to even see anyone on deck when I look at it...not sure how hot the "hot tub" is unless they have corrected the problem????

I am flying out tomorrow morning and on the 3/14 sailing....I have to finish packing...the suitcase gets weighed down much too soon...never enough of space...

Bon Voyage, linda 8892!

Hubby and I sail May 13th. I'm hoping the hot tubs are hot by then! I am sending the webcam url to friends and telling them to check it regularly, as every time I am up on the lido deck I'm going to wave to them!

Dear Blackegg:

You are awesome! Thanks so much for the questions answered - my husband forgot one more...

1. When coming back on the ship at the end of the day, are there huge lines of people waiting to board? We have only experienced that once in Alaska with NCL and it was an awful hour of standing around.

Just to let you know we will be continuing the thread for ya - we leave on March 14th sailing. Your info has been so wonderfully helpful that we feel we must do the same for others.

Enjoy the remainder of your trip and thanks again!

Lill -

Thanks again Blackegg - good review, we are enjoying keeping up on your travels.

Happy sailing, Linda - hope you have a good time, and good luck with the packing! :D

We too noticed a few folks on deck today, rare, I was wondering if it was just too cold or what, but in ports you'd expect some folks up taking some photos or something! :)

Hi Blackegg,

Thank you for finding out about the table for ten. Looks as though we might have to settle for two tables of eight and get a few more people to join us.

Rhodes sounds lovely and I can't wait to see it. I have enjoyed reading all your posts and hope you enjoy the rest of your voyage.

Linda8892 - you must be so excited! Have a wonderful cruise! Next month we will be on board and I'm so looking forward to it.

Joyce

Thanks alot for telling John & Heidi, really appreciate it. We did finally hear from him.

Can you tell me where the laundry facility is on the Rivera Deck, we have room 1304, I thought they were on the odd side numbers on the ship.

Archived