***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

Wow, blackegg, what wonderful posts! DH and I are coming up right behind you and sailing on 3/14.

I'm first of all impressed that you are finding internet cafes to post from. I told my kids (all adults now, but I still call them my kids) that I would send them an email if I ever find an internet cafe to use.

We also are "frugal" and doing most of the ports ourself. Just Istanbul and Ismir we took the ship's tour.

Taking the bus to Olympia would be a good option for us.

We're planning to take the metro in Athens. I wonder if you are doing that as well.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise!! I'm so glad the food is good.

Hi Blackegg,

Hope you're still having a great time on the Freedom. It's so good of you to give up your time to keep us in the picture and we really appreciate it.

I'm glad that we have booked a well - recommended guide named Gemma for Olympia - I hope it will make it a lot more interesting than just a pile of ruins!

Hope the honeymoon couple don't have to go to too much expense to catch up with the ship:)

Happy sailing!

Joyce

Dear future Shipmates:

I am delighted that many are benefitting from these posts. They are written fast and may be disjointed but the Internet cafe meter is running.

The Captain has a bad habit of arriving late. We were one hour late again today into Athens. I am sure if I heard the real story I could quickly forgive but it is becoming a habit. There is a heated bunch of people waiting at the gangway each morning.

Regarding the public buses at Katakolon - it was a fluke that we got there the way we did. For myself and two girls we paid 9.90 euroes all the way there. We got off the ship first and had a long walk but ran when we saw a local bus. We were the only cruise passengers on when they left at noon. The next bus would have come two hours later. Same story in Pergos (sp?) the regional city where you change. We made it right on and they dropped us at the same place all the tour busses go to. We were thankful to retrace our steps and got a bus after waiting 15 minutes on thje street in Olympia (FLAG IT DOWN) then waited about 25 minutes for the 4:00 bus returning us at the beginning of the tourist shopping street. After that I found yesterday's Internet cafe. So the bus is a risk. You might try negotiating a rental car near the port. Some crazy folks rented mopeds and one four wheeler and actually took those the 30 km or so to Olympia. But that's the kind of frugal adventurous guy that I am. Gotta move fast decide fast and be prepared to being taken to the cleaners by a taxi if all else fails.

Athens is a beautiful port. You are encouraged by the taxi fares prominently displayed inside the port terminal but NONE of the taxi drivers will go by them. Don't even waste your time trying. Go outside the terminal and across the main road going toward the left about 100 meters (we live in Europe rememebr?) and wait at the bus stop for bus #845 and take that to the Metro stop - end of the Green line. Buy a one day ticket for 3 euro and you can very easily take the train into the city. Go to the Red line Omnia stop and go back a few stops to the Akropoli stop and voilaa you are ready to brave the throngs of Carnival shore excursion people that just arrived with you.

We have since walked around on a beautiful sunny day, found an old Greek taxi driver friend on the street who recommended a great shishkabob place which we tried (I know - shame on me splurge). From here we will walk up to plaka and the parliament. When we get tired just head toward the nearest Metro station and retrace back to the ship.

????ss - The ATMs on board dispense dollars not euros as I once said. We did have brief intermittant toilet problems but they soon resumed.

More jacuzzis are opening up but they sadly are still lukewarm. Remember we are have 55 degrees and 60 km winds out on the ocean so not real swimming weather. The outdoor movies are playing but the sound cannot be heard. I think they have the sound turned down but I don't know why.

After my normal double Shrimp cocktail and about three other starters last night, I had an EXCELLENT double portion of Shrimp Scampi in a tomoto sauce. The food is still GREAT. REMEMBER my overall impression of the trip is very good. I only share little "bugs" that I don't really care about anyway.

Entertainment is still the weka spot on the ship. Last night three guys sang and ...well...don't ask me.

Tomorrow is Izmir and we are on a private tour to Ephesus. I may not get to an Internet cafe tomorrow.

You all have a GREAT time to look forward to.

More later ***LIVE*** on the Carnival Freedom,

Blackegg

Keep the ???'s coming...

hey black egg, your the bomb, a real yank expression, thanks for your hard work, did you feel safe in athens, we have heard so much about the pick pockets that you start to feel uneasy. thanks also for the heads up on the atm's on board. really do appreciate your trouble and expence on the internet. you have been most gererous with your time and money for all of us.:)

Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us posted. It is extraordinarily considerate of you. Have you heard if anyone using the cruise-sponsored excursions has had any problems? Is the ship completely full of cruisers?

blackegg,

Thanks for all that you are doing to keep us future Freedom cruisers abreast of everything that is going on. I finally remebered to check the Freedom's web cams when it is daylight over there.:rolleyes: So that is what downtown Athens looks like.

Richard

Hey Blackegg - Can you do me a BIG favor and leave a note at the Purser's Desk for John Heald that his friends from New Jersey are trying to reach him (Dick & Anita) or if you see him can you tell him - its important. Thanks alot and I really appreciate it.

Would you please tell whoever that Linda from Texas would like to sit out one night and watch a movie so, pretty please, fix the sound. I have good hearing but I am a terrible lip reader. I guess you should have brought a wet-suit so you could sit in the hot tub at night.

Thanks,

Linda

I had read that on the Liberty last year they adjusted the seating times based on time in port.....have you seen this happen?

I am just wondering if our usual 5:45pm seating will be too much of a rush?

Thanks again for your time!!!

Blackegg, thanks so much for the posts. For us future Freedom cruisers this is quite a feast!!

Is the hot tub in the gym open? On the Liberty last year it is the only we used as it was the only "hot" one.

Thanks, love reading anything about your trip.

Hi Blackegg

can you let me know if there is any possibility of someone in a wheelchair being able to do Ephesus. He can walk a few steps but we would still need to sit him down most of the time. Also when you get to Istanbul, if you go to the Blue mosque, is there any wheelchair access. What a cheek we have to ask you. Enjoy your holiday thats the main thing. Any info is good info thanks:)

Thanks so much for all the info, it is really so great of you to take the time for us future cruisers. Do you know what Carnivals exchange rate is for Euros? I know last year RC was just as good as the ATM's without any fees. Thanks again for keeping us posted can't wait till July.

:) :) :) :) :)

Hi Blackegg,

Hope you're having the best time ever!

Thank you for all the information - it's very interesting for all of us who are going on the Freedom.

Please could you let me know whether there are tables for 10. We requested a table for ten together with others in our CC group but we were told that 8 would be the maximum. I know we have been on tables of ten before so I wonder if they have changed their rules in the dining room.

Thank you

Joyce

Blackegg,

Sounds like a wonderful cruise. Tell us what cabin you are in and how do you like it. Have you tried any of the specialty restaurants, the deli, fish and chips etc?

If you need some fun in the evening, go visit Ron at the PIANO bar. He's alot of fun. SOCIAL! Tell him cruise critic members sent you.

Happy Holiday and thanks again for all of great info.

Dear Future Shipmates:

I am about tweo blocks from the ship/ I need to be back on in 90 minutes. I took notes of all your questions so I will try my best here/ This is a Turkish keyboard so hang on for the ride//

We had a great time in Ephesus/ The ruins are better than the Akropolis in Athens. The site is extensive but not sprawling. Pay the little extra to go in and see the Terrace houses - worth it. We again booked a private guide. You could use him in the future but I will have to e mail his address later. He took us to the fascinating central market in Izmir. Then we had an excellent view of the huge city of 4 million from an old Crusader fort high above the city. You could see the beautiful Carnival Freedom in the distance.

My wife and daughter lost their cruise cards so it will be interesting to see their experience in gretting back on the ship. I dropped them off and then came to write this. Now I love my wife but I truly enjopy keeping you guys informed as much as I can/ I just thought I should send you my bank account number for donations!! ?O) That was a turkish smiley face!

Here goes the questions....

Dick and Anita - I will give the message to John Heald.

Regarding safety in Athens. I live in Europe and have travelled extensively. Petty crime is everywhere. Any regular traveller will tell you the same thing/ just take precautions. to keep valuables away from being pick pocketed. Watch out for beggars and begger children - those are the most common pickpockets. Watch trains and metros. But this is nothing to do with crime in European cities. Athens is very safe - very modern. I told my wife today that Athens has been the highlight of my trip thus far and I would love to go back. In the central market today in Izmir, I was keeping a wary eye. But DON'T WORRY about being pick-pocketed/ Prepare use common sense and ENJOY your vacation.

The cruise excursions are raking in the DOLLARS and I have seen no problems. Of course you know I would never take one but everyone seems happy.

Today we finally arrived on time which was a welcome change/

They have not adjusted the seating times/ We also have 5:45 and have made it everytime. The time problems is late arrivals. TYhey still leave on time so you still have to be bacxk on the ship promptly.

"Hot Tub" in the gym area?? There are no Hot Tubs on board. There are plenty of Lukewarm Tubs on board/ Last night my wife and I were in the Lukewarm Tub in the Gym area. The jets were the most powerful I have seen. But when some "fluffy" ladies got out, they took a lot of the water with them. See how diplomatic I can be!

I would NOT recommend wheelchair access visit to Ephesus. Very bumpy and uneven roads. I would say impossible. Talk and write to someone who has specific knoweldge here.

The carnival onboard euro dollar exchange rate is nasty. No commission they say but of course their charges are built into their rate. I asked last night and it was one euro to 1.44 (maybe 1.40)/ I was forced to use the onboard ATM and got out 400 dollars. The ATM asked me if I would accept a 5.50 charge. I have also been charged one percent by my bank. My suggestions is to use the ATMs in each port. You will find them.

I have not trried the coffees and pastries. They have a Vienaese (sp?) cafe with lucious looking deserts. They do charge for specialty coffees but reasonable at $2 (finally found the dollar sign).

Tables of 10?? I know they have larger tables of course but I haven't counted. The maitredee is my BUDDY so I will ask him tonight/

Our cabin is 1421 - we purchased inside guarantee and got upgraded to oceanview which is nice. Some outsides were upgraded to balcony. Please DO NOT think this will apply to you or to your cruise.

I reserved and then cancelled the Sun King restaurant - $30 per head surcharge. I love food and always tru the speciality restaurant. The reason why we cancelled is you can't just order extra portions like in the dining room. You want an extra lobster? That will be another $30!!! Of course then they told me I could have double of each course. I can put it away so we are staying in the dining room. We are still delightyeds with the food. I had a wonderful Beef Wellington with a seasfood combo with a touch of curry. That was after how many shrimp cocktails, soups and starters. HHmmmm I am getting hungry.

BTW - I wrote a very long post before we left for the ship regarding my experiences on a previous cruise. You might glean some ideas from there. Just check the roll call for March 5.

Well off to see if they tossed my wife and daughter into the sea!?!

I should be able to find an Internet cafe in Rhodes tomorrow. Then a seaday back to Naples. then on to the USA for us and someone on March 14 cruise can continue this thread.

Sailing on......

Blackegg

Thank you Blackegg - I look forward to hearing about the table size when you have spoken to the maitre d' - it's always good to have him as a friend;)

Your information on Ephesus was very interesting and helpful.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Joyce

This is great. We really appreciate you doing this for us. We are on the March 14 sailing. How much do the internet cafes charge? Can you walk to them from the ship? My husband and I will be travelling with our 11 year old son. Are there kids on your sailing?

Here's a tip for expresso and cappacino lovers. If you buy specialty coffee at the coffee bar, there is a charge. However,if you ask your waiter for it in the dinning room, there is no extra charge. We asked for it first night and the waiter broiught without asking the rest of the trip.

It's been a few years since our last cruise but previously on Carnival, this was the case and it helped cut down on our caffine bill.

Freddy

Hello to everyone back home, wish you were here!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure I'll do an inaugural again. From what the Bar staff tells us not many staff signed up for this cruise because they have to set the ship up and don't get any extra pay. Some of them have been on the ship for 2 weeks.

But everyone is friendly and helpful. I don't care for the ships decor, it seems completely disassociated. They have something that looks very antiquated next to a very modern piece of art work. But really who cares about what a ship looks like, we're on a cruise and NOT at work, how bad can that be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Definately spend the money to tour (shore excursion) Ephusis, far more antiquities than Greece but alot more walking. If I ever do this again I will spend more days in Venice (I could roam for ever) and I can't say what's next because we haven't gotten there Yet.

For those of you who are past guests and love the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake like I do you will be pleased to know that they serve what they are calling "Alternative Selections" It's a whole menu that sometimes has some of the past selections (like the Chocolate Melting Cake) or some entree's. but don't forget that anytime that you want a steak or grilled chicken just ask for it, it's always available.

Looking forward to Rhoades tomorrow, will let you know what we encounter.

Talk to you soon,

Janey and Donna

Archived