18 & 19: Too young?

iteachny

Hey there, I'm currently a freshman at a state university in Upstate New York, and I'm looking to plan a summer cruise out of New York City with a few of my college friends. At the time of the cruise, two of us will be 18, and two of us will be 19. We chose Princess because it seems to be one of the only lines where we can travel without someone who is 21 or over.

I've taken a bunch of cruises with my family in the past, but my friends have never gone cruising before, and I've certainly never gone without my family, so I'm a bit worried that we might not enjoy ourselves if there are no adults with us. Are we too young to be doing a trip like this? Do other groups of college students take trips like this? Are we going to feel out of place in the dining halls? What sort of activities will there be for us?

Also, what dates do you think will have the most people our age? We are looking for the Crown in May or June. Since we all live in the NYC metro area, we won't have to fly if we leave from NY.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think so, my sons who are now 20 and 22 have gone numerous times with us and we never see them. They find plenty of people to hang out with. If you take the Crown out of New York, we have done that cruise twice. It is awesome. I dont think you will have any problems if you all apreciate the surroundings and act accordingly. The dining room allows you to eat with the four of you or share a table with others and then of course you can hit the buffet too. :)

I think late May or early June would be good as far as prices.

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that you had to be accompanied by someone 21 or over if you are under 21 to book a cruise on Princess (from the passage contract).

5. AGE REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING AGE; GAMING AGE; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

The minimum passenger age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico and Transcanal cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises. Passengers under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a Passenger over the age of 21. No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship.

I don't think so, my sons who are now 20 and 22 have gone numerous times with us and we never see them. They find plenty of people to hang out with. If you take the Crown out of New York, we have done that cruise twice. It is awesome. I dont think you will have any problems if you all apreciate the surroundings and act accordingly. The dining room allows you to eat with the four of you or share a table with others and then of course you can hit the buffet too. :)

I think late May or early June would be good as far as prices.

Thanks for the advice. We would like to eat in the dining hall with other groups of people, maybe even different people every night, so we can meet lots of interesting folks. We also would like to get dressed up for formal nights (at least, the lone girl in the group wants to...). When I cruised with my family this past April on the Sapphire out of LA, we had a lot of trouble finding groups of people that were willing to share a table for dinner. Most nights, we would ask to be placed with other groups, but we always wound up being alone. I guess people from the West Coast are just more private? :(

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that you had to be accompanied by someone 21 or over if you are under 21 to book a cruise on Princess (from the passage contract).

The minimum passenger age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico and Transcanal cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises. Passengers under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a Passenger over the age of 21. No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship.

To once again quote what you just copied and pasted, it appears to me that since we are OVER 18, we are allowed to book the cruise. However, we cannot take anyone UNDER 18 with us, since we are not OVER 21. Have I understood this correctly?

Thanks in advance.

They would be fine. :)

Thanks for the advice. We would like to eat in the dining hall with other groups of people, maybe even different people every night, so we can meet lots of interesting folks. We also would like to get dressed up for formal nights (at least, the lone girl in the group wants to...). When I cruised with my family this past April on the Sapphire out of LA, we had a lot of trouble finding groups of people that were willing to share a table for dinner. Most nights, we would ask to be placed with other groups, but we always wound up being alone. I guess people from the West Coast are just more private? :(

Try hitting personal choice at different times, also ask the Maitre'D if he would asist you in finding suitable tables when you arrive. Talk to him during lunch when it is not so busy. :)

At first I thought that, too. But it states if under 18, you must be accompanied by someone over 21. I think that they are 18 and over. They just will not be able to drink alcohol or gamble.

Exactly. Which might make the trip a bit boring (although none of us drink really, we would like to gamble now and then). I'm kind of upset to learn that we can't even play bingo -- isn't bingo 18+ on land? I know the state lottery is!

Oh, and I know this is sort of off topic, but it's been nearly a year since I've been on a Princess cruise (or any cruise for that matter) and I've been reading a bunch of threads on here and it seems to sound like a lot of people are becoming dissatisfied with Princess...what's going on? :/

You can pick Anytime dining so you can eat with others each night or if you choose, just your group.

To once again quote what you just copied and pasted, it appears to me that since we are OVER 18, we are allowed to book the cruise. However, we cannot take anyone UNDER 18 with us, since we are not OVER 21. Have I understood this correctly?

Thanks in advance.

I think you are correct. You should have no problem. How many of you are planning to go? There are some nice specials in May on the Crown especially if you are a past cruiser. When I signed on the price was $799 inside, $849 OV.

You were worried about no adults and not having fun. When I was 21, I went on a 23 day european trip with noone I knew. It was a tour, not a cruise, and I met a few others and had a great time. You will have a wonderful time.

Have fun planing your cruise.

Exactly. Which might make the trip a bit boring (although none of us drink really, we would like to gamble now and then). I'm kind of upset to learn that we can't even play bingo -- isn't bingo 18+ on land? I know the state lottery is!

Oh, and I know this is sort of off topic, but it's been nearly a year since I've been on a Princess cruise (or any cruise for that matter) and I've been reading a bunch of threads on here and it seems to sound like a lot of people are becoming dissatisfied with Princess...what's going on? :/

You will have a great time. You will be over 21 for the rest of you lives once you pass that age!! I think you have to take the complaining with a grain of salt. Some complain about food or service. If you go with the intention of having a great time, you most likely will. I'm sure you will find Something to eat that you will like.

I think you are correct. You should have no problem. How many of you are planning to go? There are some nice specials in May on the Crown especially if you are a past cruiser. When I signed on the price was $799 inside, $849 OV.

Where did you find those deals? I entered my past passenger number on one of those travel agent websites and the prices were the same for the May 30, 2007 booking of the Crown.

Greetings from a fellow (former) upstater!

I was on a Australian cruise with my mom when I was in college; I was older than you are, and able to drink. However, it was an 11 day Auckland to Sydney in the middle of January. With the exception of a handful of small children (and their parents), I was the youngest person on board by a good score or two! (I'm exaggerating- there were a couple other people in their 20s, but very, very few.)

Now for what you want to know;

I had an absolute blast. Our tablemates were retired folks from China who'd travelled the world; fascinating. I made great friends with the room steward, our waitress, the bartender at the main pool (we kept in touch by email for a couple of years!). I took advantage of a lot of the ships neat offerings that weren't being utilized by the somewhat older crowd- I can't tell you how many times I swam in empty pools, sat in empty hot tubs, strolled around the promenade deck like I was on my own ship. My mom and I also greatly enjoy each other's company and we made our own fun. So yes, I think if the people that you're going with are good friends of yours and you can stomach a lot of togetherness, you're going to have tons of fun, maybe just not exactly the way you expect.

Bon voyage!

I reread my post and realized one thing I should probably add: there was one downside.

The nightlife on the ship was pretty much nil. I did go and make friends one night with a nice cocktail waitress from South Africa (lots of free drinks this trip) but I was the only single person in the bar, and there were probably only 10 other people (all older couples.) But, if you're not old enough to drink at the bar this may not matter.

Where did you find those deals? I entered my past passenger number on one of those travel agent websites and the prices were the same for the May 30, 2007 booking of the Crown.

On the Princess website for the 05/30 cruise with my sign in, they are $799 inside and $849 OV outside.

That is for two or a quad price. The ship is wide open. :)

Yeah, I just took a look on the Princess site, the site I was going through is still about $20 cheaper per person. Thanks though. :)

Anyway, anyone else have any more stories regarding being under 21 and on a cruise? Also, anyone our age going on one of the cruises I mentioned?

Thanks in advance...

Yeah, I just took a look on the Princess site, the site I was going through is still about $20 cheaper per person. Thanks though. :)

Anyway, anyone else have any more stories regarding being under 21 and on a cruise? Also, anyone our age going on one of the cruises I mentioned?

Thanks in advance...

Book it through the Princess website then find a cheaper TA price and transfer the booking with a simple fax to Princess requesting the change. You will have to do this before the final payment though. :)

my friends and I booked our own cruise when we were all 18 & 19. Its actually pretty fun and we met everyone our age and had a party every night. We went winter so since you're going summer I'm sure you'll find plenty more people and have a great time. I suggest you find a princess ship that has the skywalkers night club thats where a lot of younger people go. and you shouldnt feel to out of place in the dining halls if you dress appropriately...people stared at my group because we wore sunglasses on formal night...but hey, attention is great. have fun

We're 20 and 22. We went when we were 18 and 19, but it's not the cruiseline to go on if you want to party it up 24/7. It's a more reserved cruise line. Just depends on what you like. But if you're that age you can't go on any other cruiseline. We prefer Princess, but that's because we like an older crowd. If you just want to relax and visit some neat places, go for it. :)

We're 20 and 22. We went when we were 18 and 19, but it's not the cruiseline to go on if you want to party it up 24/7. It's a more reserved cruise line. Just depends on what you like. But if you're that age you can't go on any other cruiseline. We prefer Princess, but that's because we like an older crowd. If you just want to relax and visit some neat places, go for it. :)

There are other lines that will allow 18 and 19 year olds. NCL is one - I just booked clients out of NY on one.

Archived