Attn: YUKON...need photography help

SakeDad

Yukon.

I like the wildlife pics you've captured and posted and would love to see more. How hard was it to get these? Was it like lightening and you just had to shoot LOTS to get a couple or did the wildlife "cooperate" and were relatively easy to photograph?

I have a good digital w/ 12x zoom (although at that rate it's usually fuzzy in the best of conditions) and am very comfortable with it. Feel free to see my galleries at www.sakedad.smugmug.com to see what kind on pictures I like to take. The China gallery has some really good shots.

How hard will it be to get good shots in Alaska? I am with Capt Larry in Juneau and Capt Davey in Sitka. I am a semi-pro (meaning I hope to sell my pics oneday) so I really want to get the best pics possible and will be extremely grateful for any tips you can give me ahead of time!!!

With wildlife, luck plays heavily into getting good shots, but you also have to plan well and have good equipment. You've got a good eye for images, and if you get a good digital SLR system can probably start selling them - your photos shouldn't be "soft" at any setting. For some people, microstock offers a good way into the market - http://www.yukonalaska.com/photography/microstockphotography.html - although I prefer getting fairly high rates for a few photos rather than pennies for a lot. I'm shooting with a Canon Digital Rebel XT with 2 lenses that get me up to 300mm (which is the 35mm equivalent of about 420mm).

With whales you need to shoot a lot to get "the right shot" because things happen so quickly, but usually with other animals you can take your time - I don't delete many images other than whales.

Good shooting! :)

Murray

Thanks, Yukon. I have a Panasonic FZ20 w/ 32-432mm lens. Got tired of changing lens on my Nikon 35mm. I'm in love with digital now that I know post-processing. Sounds like I may need to use burst for the whales. I appreciate the tips!! Look forward to sharing my pics with the board once I'm back.

I'm glad someone started a post like this! I'll be "shooting" Nikon D50 and a couple different lenses during my trip to Alaska in August ...

What do you guys think about using tripod versus monopod for shooting wildlife from:

* The ship

* Bear Tour - Traitors Cove

* Captain Larry Whale watching trip

* White Pass RR Train

* Denali - Shuttle Bus

I'm glad someone started a post like this! I'll be "shooting" Nikon D50 and a couple different lenses during my trip to Alaska in August ...

What do you guys think about using tripod versus monopod for shooting wildlife from:

* The ship

* White Pass RR Train

* Denali - Shuttle Bus

Wider-open area, viewing platform, outside shuttlebus in Denali = tripod

Groups and crowds, boat deck (at rest) = monopod

Train and bus window & boat deck (under power) = handheld (pods transfer vibration)

Image stabilization is a really good idea in almost all cases.

My opinion, your mileage may vary!:D

Last Alaska trip is here: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/alaska2006 if you're interested.

Dave

* The ship

* White Pass RR Train

* Denali - Shuttle Bus

I didn't bring my tripod with me the last couple of trips but this summer I am planning on it.

At Denali the tripod generally isn't necessary from the bus - the bus stops and turns off its engine when it sees wildlife so not really any camera shake unless it is from yourself moving around on your seat. And no room on the bus to set up a tripod! If you are getting off the bus (which I HIGHLY recommend), a tripod could be useful in some situations. A good idea that I have used in the past is "shuttle bus surfing" - if you see wildlife like a bear that you want to see and/or photograph, and the bus isn't spending as much time as you like, ask the driver to let you off 1/2 mile down the road (the minimum distance from wildlife that they will let you off the bus). Then take the next bus back toward the bear. When that bus starts heading back to the entrance, get off another 1/2 mile down the road and catch the next shuttle to go further into the park. This works best in high season and earlier in the day when there are frequent busses but I have also done it in September with limited busses running.

I would think for whale watching it is not needed either - you should be shooting at high shutter speeds due to the quick nature of whale movement.

I would not have used my tripod much from the ship.

Not sure about the others you mentioned. But I am taking my tripod on my next trip mainly for the bears at Brooks Falls.

I am very much an amateur, but have taken thousands of photos around Alaska from planes, boats, buses, cars, kayaks, etc. I am always frustrated because I never seem to get the photos I really want. However, I have found the following from experience:

1. As Murray stated, luck is a huge factor. However, on boat tours and whale watches, you don't get a second chance for that great shot, so make sure you're always prepared. The smaller the conveyance with the fewer people around, the better your chances are. Nothing like the perfect whale breach shot with someone's hat in the middle of it.... One of the drawbacks of being devoted to photography, however, is that your entire experience is mediated by the camera lens. You always have to stand back a bit, framing potential shots, rather than immersing yourself in the experience.

2. Equipment makes a huge difference. Up until a few years ago, I used a Canon 35mm with a 300mm lens, but missed so many wildlife shots because they were just too far away. I'm a grad student, so I can't afford really great equipment. When I went digital, the lag was a big problem with things like whales and calving glaciers. I kept missing the shots. I am upgrading this year to a Nikon D-70 and saving up for really good lens. Because most wildlife is shot from fairly far away, a stabilizer is practically mandatory. I want a good macro lens as well. There are some amazing things out there when you get really close up.

3. Never go anywhere without your camera. A walk to the outhouse at a local park could be a great opportunity for photos.

Have a great cruise and I hope you'll get some wonderful photos.

I am very much an amateur, but have taken thousands of photos around Alaska from planes, boats, buses, cars, kayaks, etc.

I too am an amateur, though I would probably call both of us "advanced amateurs" if I could be so presumptious.

2. Equipment makes a huge difference. Up until a few years ago, I used a Canon 35mm with a 300mm lens, but missed so many wildlife shots because they were just too far away. I'm a grad student, so I can't afford really great equipment. When I went digital, the lag was a big problem with things like whales and calving glaciers. I kept missing the shots. I am upgrading this year to a Nikon D-70 and saving up for really good lens. Because most wildlife is shot from fairly far away, a stabilizer is practically mandatory. I want a good macro lens as well. There are some amazing things out there when you get really close up.

You will love the D70. I have been using it for 2+ years and really love it. I just bought a used macro lens from a pro photographer friend (who wanted to put the money toward the newer/better Nikon macro that recently came out).

3. Never go anywhere without your camera. A walk to the outhouse at a local park could be a great opportunity for photos.

I would add "Never go anywhere without your pro photographer friend." :D I used miles for both his and my plane ticket to Haines, AK next November for the bald eagle festival. Now he is more excited about going to AK than I am... and I am excited & have another AK trip planned before that one (also using miles for the plane ticket).

You will be back before we leave! Please do a review and or post about Traitor's Cove, along with photographic tips and opinions (distances, shady/sunny, etc.)! Please, oh please!

For shooting whales a DSLR shines as there is not the shutter lag one finds in P&S cameras. Definitely use burst mode or whatever your camera manufacturer calls it.

Tripods gives the most stable platform when shooting animals, but I never bother with them, preferring instead to use my 100-400L IS lens. The IS really works great.

I don't take a tripod except for my winter trips for aurora. :)

Instead I "block", meaning, use the ship rail, bus window, back up to something stable etc. A tripod on a boat isn't going to make a difference, the boat is unstable on water to begin with. :) So instead, understand your settings and how to use them. Put up the ISO so to have lower light speed, etc. Get a photography book from the library and teach yourself the fundamentals. My first college degree was in photography, way before "automatic" cameras. Used hand held meters and grey scales. :)

But I can look at shots and automatically in my head, know what I want in lighting, speed, depth of field, etc.

Practice and practice some more, have fun. Cameras are so user friendly now, it's hard to take a bad photo. :)

I think the ONLY time I ever use a tripod is when I'm shooting night city shots or fireworks. Spent two weeks in China, took over 8,000 digital pics and used the tripod once or twice at most. My friends joked that I wasn't seeing anything except through the lens, but I'm the once now with pictures of the whole trip and some of them have asked me for copies! LOL

My camera has a great image stabilizer and I never turn it off. I am always at the ready to take pics. I also have a T2 filter to get those amazing macros even though I only have one lens.

Before buying a new digital make sure you go to dpreview.com as they have reveiws and user forums for every single camera type. Great place to compare and learn.

I think the ONLY time I ever use a tripod is when I'm shooting night city shots or fireworks. Spent two weeks in China, took over 8,000 digital pics and used the tripod once or twice at most. My friends joked that I wasn't seeing anything except through the lens, but I'm the once now with pictures of the whole trip and some of them have asked me for copies! LOL

My camera has a great image stabilizer and I never turn it off. I am always at the ready to take pics. I also have a T2 filter to get those amazing macros even though I only have one lens.

Before buying a new digital make sure you go to dpreview.com as they have reveiws and user forums for every single camera type. Great place to compare and learn.

Image stabilization is the best thing since...uh, tripods!

I shoot with a Maxxum 7D and use my Minolta A2 as a backup. Both are stabilized at the sensor and really make a difference. I rarely use the tripod or monopod unless I have a really long lens on or it's really dark.

I know what you mean about seeing the world through a viewfinder. I have for 40 years and wouldn't dream of stopping now.

Happy shooting!

Dave

I know what you mean about seeing the world through a viewfinder. I have for 40 years and wouldn't dream of stopping now.

I guess the ONLY people who know what a joy that is are photographers!!:D I have no problem seeing the week through a 3"x4" lcd screen knowing I can blow it up to any size I want later!!

I'm so glad this thread was started. I'm another amateur who's hoping for some great shots in Alaska. :) And, I don't consider myself an "advanced amateur" but I have to oversee several photo shoots each year for my job, so I'm getting better as I watch and talk with photographers. :)

I recently got a Canon Rebel XTi digital SLR and have been so pleased with the photos I've been able to take with it. Just got a 75-300mm lens as well.

I've been planning our Alaska cruise and trying to balance excursions my family will enjoy with ones I want to take for the photography opportunities (yes, I know, there are photo opps everywhere!). So, we're doing a four-hour tour with Captain Davey Lubin (Esther G) in Sitka, hiking near Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, and renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake (with the help of Murray's guide). In Ketchikan, we're doing a Misty Fjords and glacier flightseeing trip.

Feel free to see my galleries at www.sakedad.smugmug.com to see what kind on pictures I like to take. The China gallery has some really good shots.

Totally enjoyed your photos of China! Very nice. :D I had only a few minutes to look at them, but plan to sit down and really look this weekend as I'm headed to China in five weeks for a business trip. I'll have only a couple of days to tour, but plan to make the most of it camera in hand.

Cheers!

Jayne

So, we're doing a four-hour tour with Captain Davey Lubin (Esther G) in Sitka, hiking near Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, and renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake (with the help of Murray's guide). In Ketchikan, we're doing a Misty Fjords and glacier flightseeing trip.

Last summer I didn't go to Sitka but I hiked near Mendenhall, rented a car in Skagway for the drive to Emerald Lake and took the Misty Fjords flightseeing trip with Southeast Aviation. All were excellent photo ops, not to mention awesome excursions.

I suggest using a wider angle lens on the Misty Fjords flightseeing.

John

Last summer I didn't go to Sitka but I hiked near Mendenhall, rented a car in Skagway for the drive to Emerald Lake and took the Misty Fjords flightseeing trip with Southeast Aviation. All were excellent photo ops, not to mention awesome excursions.

I suggest using a wider angle lens on the Misty Fjords flightseeing.

Thanks, John! I appreciate the suggestion about the lense.

Regards,

Jayne

:)

I've been planning our Alaska cruise and trying to balance excursions my family will enjoy with ones I want to take for the photography opportunities (yes, I know, there are photo opps everywhere!). So, we're doing a four-hour tour with Captain Davey Lubin (Esther G) in Sitka, hiking near Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, and renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake (with the help of Murray's guide). In Ketchikan, we're doing a Misty Fjords and glacier flightseeing trip.

Totally enjoyed your photos of China! Very nice. :D I had only a few minutes to look at them, but plan to sit down and really look this weekend as I'm headed to China in five weeks for a business trip. I'll have only a couple of days to tour, but plan to make the most of it camera in hand.

Cheers!

Jayne

Jayne, what sailing are you on? I just booked my Capt Davey 4 hour as well, we are on the 5/20 Noordam sailing.

I loved China, as you can see from the pictures. Glad you enjoyed them too.

Nathan

Jayne, what sailing are you on? I just booked my Capt Davey 4 hour as well, we are on the 5/20 Noordam sailing.

I loved China, as you can see from the pictures. Glad you enjoyed them too.

Nathan, we're on the Carnival Spirit, August 15 southbound sailing(coicidentally we sailed on the same ship, same date in 2001 on a northbound cruise).

We're really looking forward to the tour with Captain Davey. From photos I've seen, it looks like there will be lots of opportunities for wildlife sitings/photos. Can't wait!

Thanks!

Jayne

Archived