NCL Star changes ports for 14 March - engines

onegraham

Past assurances (just yesterday) have come to naught. An NCL email, just now, says that slow engines will mean a change of ports. Manzanillo and Mazatlan added, more time in Puerto Vallarta plus $100 per stateroom credit. Disappointing but Oh well.

NCL also offering full credit to passengers not wanting to proceed, to be used on a cruise by 3/14/08. We're still going...

Yep folks, whoever at NCL assured a poster that it would NOT happen obviously had no clue.

This is straight form the ITINERARY CHANGE section of the TA section of the NCL website.

Same blah blah blah about "because of reduced speed capabilities resulting from some necessary engine work, we will be revising our planned itinerary as scheduled." They offer the same shipboard credit and option to cancel as past cruises.

I do believe now that they WILL keep this change for the rest of the Star Mexican Riviera sailings, and am planning accordingly for our 4/7 cruise. And I also believe that NCL has some of the worst internal communications around. :rolleyes:

The revised itinerary...same as the others:

Wed - L.A.

Thurs/Fri - at sea

Sat - Manzanillo 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Sun - Puerto Vallarta 7:00 am - 8:00 pm

Mon - Mazatlan 8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Tues - Cabo San Lucas 7:00 am - 3:00 pm

Wed - at sea

Thurs - L.A. 9:00 am

Just a heads up for the folks who are sailing soon!

So as I understand it, both the Star and Dawn are having problems that are requiring change of itineraries do to lack of speed? How long before they pull these ships from service and correct the problems?

Good question. There are some posters here who are well-versed on the azipod problems these ships have had (this is not new for either ship). I honestly don't know how they can prevent it from happening again, if previous fixes (and dry docks) have not worked to prevent it.

If anyone can shed some light, feel free. I'm no expert on ship engines.

We were on the Feb. 26 - Mar. 7 cruise - the first one with the altered itinerary - and were concerned about our 1:30 flight. We actually arrived in LA a little after 8:00 and express disembarkment was a breeze, although we are Canadian and didn't have to go thru' US customs the same as US citizens do. We were actually at the airport by 9:00 am. Hope it goes this well for you.

We were on the 2/18 cruise on the Star. We had the original itenerary. Acapulco was a disappointment to us. We did like the cliff divers but the city itself was not that special. My husband swam with the dolphins in Ixtapa but you can do that in many of the other ports in Mexico. We have gone to Maxatlan before and love it! Try the restaurant "Ernies Tomatoes" it is a blast! Try the restaurant "Pipi's" in Puerto Vallarta- it's great! Go with the flow and you will have a great cruise! :o

We were on the 2/18 cruise on the Star. We had the original itenerary. Acapulco was a disappointment to us. We did like the cliff divers but the city itself was not that special. My husband swam with the dolphins in Ixtapa but you can do that in many of the other ports in Mexico. We have gone to Maxatlan before and love it! Try the restaurant "Ernies Tomatoes" it is a blast! Try the restaurant "Pipi's" in Puerto Vallarta- it's great! Go with the flow and you will have a great cruise! :o

Shhh.....don't mention Pipi's in PV.....I want lunch there, and don't want to fighting with all of the other passengers to get a table.....you know, the table where they make guacamole fresh....

The food isn't very good, the service sub-par, and the decor is lousy....;)

We were on the Feb. 26 - Mar. 7 cruise - the first one with the altered itinerary - and were concerned about our 1:30 flight. We actually arrived in LA a little after 8:00 and express disembarkment was a breeze, although we are Canadian and didn't have to go thru' US customs the same as US citizens do. We were actually at the airport by 9:00 am. Hope it goes this well for you.

Thanks for the past performance review. Almost changed our flights today. Your comments have calmed the waters so to say. Gracias Lolastar

I am also Canadian but can't understand why we wouldn't have to clear US Customs in San Pedro?

I mentioned on some thread somewhere that NCL will tell us one thing and then do another. Did it last year to us on the Dream out of Houston. Swore that we would be stopping in Cancun when everyone on the board was saying it ain't gonna happen. Sure enough, one week before we sailed they said "Opps, sorry no Cancun". It wasn't a biggie for us because we have been there a couple of times before. I've been saying this - I don't care if they change the ports, just don't cancel anyone's cruise!!!:eek:

I am also Canadian but can't understand why we wouldn't have to clear US Customs in San Pedro?

You do have to pass thru US customs in San Pedro, but as non-US citizens, you go thru a different line with way less people - much quicker.

Good question. There are some posters here who are well-versed on the azipod problems these ships have had (this is not new for either ship). I honestly don't know how they can prevent it from happening again, if previous fixes (and dry docks) have not worked to prevent it.

May not be an azipod issue this time. There's reports that one of the four engines that drive the electric generators has a cracked block. Running it at 100% - which would be required for top speed - would void the warranty.

I didn't personally get that much detail from an officer during our 18th cruise, but he did say the problem was engine - not azipod related.

Shhh.....don't mention Pipi's in PV.....I want lunch there, and don't want to fighting with all of the other passengers to get a table.....you know, the table where they make guacamole fresh....

The food isn't very good, the service sub-par, and the decor is lousy....;)

I was thinking the same thing. Shhhh! Don't tell.

Azipod propulsion is a relatively new technology and all ships with Azipod propulsion are subject to breakdowns. It will take a few more years for reliability to be built into the system.

Older cruise ships have the main engines and drive shaft motors inside the ship connected to the propellers by a propeller shaft. They cause more turbulance under the ship.

Newer cruise ships have much of their machinery inside the inside the ship, but the engines that drive the propellers are combined outside the ship. They cause less turbulance and more fuel efficiency. There is no drive or propeller shaft.

I highly suggest you search these forums for azipod, or google azipod. You find many links.

Archived