breakfast in papeete /near IC hotel

Davian

Hi

We are on the TP trip in May and are staying for 2 nights pre-cruise at the Intercontinental.

We were wondering where we could go outside of the hotel for breakfast - looking for a very good french bakery for breads and crossiants.

Thanks, Jill

The IC is not anywhere near any restaurants. However, there is a small plaza within about a 15 minute walk. You can also hop on Le Truck and be there in 2 minutes. The plaza has a large supermarket/WalMart-type store (Carrefour) which sells wonderful baguettes (many varieties). I would pick one up, along with some cheese, and have a great snack at the hotel. Also, in the plaza is a wonderful little restaurant/bakery. The grilled sandwiches were delicious as were the desserts and coffee. You will love the IC, but the food in the restaurant is very expensive. The portions, however, are quite large and you can easily split one order of a salad and pizza. As for breakfast, you don't have to buy the expensive buffet but just order toast or croissants. The croissants were just like in Paris - delicious. I did a pre and post-cruise stay at the IC and really enjoyed it. You will love the two pools and the grounds are gorgeous. Enjoy.

Hi

We are on the TP trip in May and are staying for 2 nights pre-cruise at the Intercontinental.

We were wondering where we could go outside of the hotel for breakfast - looking for a very good french bakery for breads and crossiants.

Thanks, Jill

They have wonderful breakfasts right at the Intercontinental, just ask for the al a carte menu. The buffet is very expensive, but two can eat very well (more food than you really want) for $22.00. The french bread rolls are to die for & they keep bringing them!!:D

Jan

We were shocked at how reasonable the ala carte menu was at the IC. Below is my comments in our cruise review about the hotel food prices when we were there in 2005: The prices for the buffets were very expensive, with breakfast being 2950 CFP or about $33 US. If you ask to order from the menu rather than eating at the buffet, you can get an omelet with hash browns and bacon for about $10 US. The dinner buffets were $35-$55 US; but you could get a hamburger and fries for around $15 US; and surprisingly they had a chicken dinner for about $15 US.

I have the breakfast menu in our review at www.thepreismans.com . Go to the end of the review and click on the Kodak Gallery Album. The menu is in the second group with the other Intercontinental pics.

The IC is not anywhere near any restaurants. However, there is a small plaza within about a 15 minute walk. You can also hop on Le Truck and be there in 2 minutes. The plaza has a large supermarket/WalMart-type store (Carrefour) which sells wonderful baguettes (many varieties). I would pick one up, along with some cheese, and have a great snack at the hotel. Also, in the plaza is a wonderful little restaurant/bakery. The grilled sandwiches were delicious as were the desserts and coffee. Enjoy.

Thanks so much for pointing us to the Plaza. We have our breakfasts included in our room rate but we will be using the Plaza for lunch etc. I daresay that Carrefour in Papeete will be like all the ones in France and sell wine etc as well as food which will be great for taking onboard.

Would you remember how many francs the Le Truck cost to go to the Plaza? We will obviously need some small change. Also whereabouts do you pick up Le Truck when at the Intercontinental.

Thanks.

Jennie

Mike,

I have just been reading your report of your cruise on the Tahitian Princess. It is a wonderful read and my congratulations on your lovely photos. I look forward to reading all your other reports when I have some spare time.

Jennie

The LeTruck costs 130 XPF in the day, and 200 after 6:00 p.m. There are stops near the IC. Walk down the hotel driveway to the main road, turn left, walk about 2 minutes and there are stops on each side of the road.

Archived