Voyage Review (repost)

pepperrn

Boy, I just hate it when a good story comes to an end!! Even if I have read it a few times, and thus know the sad ending of disembarkation, I still hate to see it finish. :( And look how many new people you've been able to reach with all this wonderful information Pepper....well done the first time and every bit as entertaining the 2nd...3rd...maybe 4th...oh well, I've lost count ;)

Pack it in the carry-on folks..you won't be sorry as you wander that great ship. Thanks again for sharing Pepper

Cheers, Penny

The only good thing about the end of Pepper's cruise was that we embarked that day for our Canada/New England Fall Foliage cruise! I had almost forgotten that our cruises were back to back. Unfortunately, we did not get to meet in the port of Bayonne, Pepper. What a shame!

Thanks again, Pepper, for taking the time to repost this amazing review. Penny is so right!!! Take this review with you if you are sailing on the QM2. Of course, she is too modest to tell you to take her review, also. If you have copies of both, you will not miss any of the highlights of wonderful ship.

Beth

• 2 weeks later...
It seems folks are having trouble finding this wonderful review. Don't leave home without it!!!

Thank you for the compliment, very kind. My plans for the future are QE2 this year and then QM2 twice next year. I'm counting the days already!

Pepper,

Thank you so much for this. Couldn't remember if I'd said how much I appreciated it before and wanted to make sure that you knew how helpful and entertaining this has been. As I wrote to Penny, it is part of our 54 pages (so far) of information and we have gone over it several times already.

Cheers!

Pepper,

Thank you so much for this. Couldn't remember if I'd said how much I appreciated it before and wanted to make sure that you knew how helpful and entertaining this has been. As I wrote to Penny, it is part of our 54 pages (so far) of information and we have gone over it several times already.

Cheers!

Thank you for the compliments, I'm glad you've read Penny's "affair", it's a joy to read and I've loved reading it many times.

I hope you have a great voyage, tell us all how it went, you're in for a treat, QM2 is very special.

I just wanted you to know, Pepper, that you made me cry at the end. Matter of fact, it's happening again just thinking of the ending.

What a mean old thing...making girls cry...

I've seen your pictures and they were beautiful, too. Thanks.

I just wanted you to know, Pepper, that you made me cry at the end. Matter of fact, it's happening again just thinking of the ending. What a mean old thing...making girls cry...I've seen your pictures and they were beautiful, too. Thanks.

Angela

I'm sorry to hear I made you cry by the end, I'm such a mean old thing, as you point out. I think the way to get your own back is to write a review of your next voyage on QM2, then I can get emotional when I read it, because I wasn't aboard as well:)

Thank you for the compliments about the review and the pictures, glad you liked them. I'm looking forward to taking more next year.

Very best wishes and thanks

Dear Pepperrn

Thank you for such a wonderful review, I feel that I have taken the journey with you.

You stated that you did not use the balcony a lot during your cruise but can you remember anything more about it as I hope to book a B3, I have read less favourable reports about this particular balcony being dark and very closed in etc. I do like to use a balcony if available, for quite time for myself.

Thank you and safe travels

Mourne

Dear Pepperrn

Thank you for such a wonderful review, I feel that I have taken the journey with you.

You stated that you did not use the balcony a lot during your cruise but can you remember anything more about it as I hope to book a B3, I have read less favourable reports about this particular balcony being dark and very closed in etc. I do like to use a balcony if available, for quite time for myself.

Thank you and safe travels

Mourne

Mourne

Thank you for the compliment, very kind of you.

Re: The balcony. It was perfect for my TA. I was able to have a private (and the "sheltered" balconies are very private) bit of deck space for a bit of fresh sea air, to look forward (and aft), and because I was near (in relative terms) the sea, a real connection with the speed and progress of the ship. I loved having this "extra room" in my cabin. I loved being able to leave the door open and listen to the sound of the waves. I sat out there reading and planning my day. The only reason I didn't use it more is because I didn't spend that much time in my cabin. But it was great to have it there when I wanted it. I would always recommend a sheltered balcony for a TA, you can use this balcony, unlike some of the glass fronted ones higher up which can be rendered near useless by the the high winds caused by the forward motion. However, on a warm water cruise, if I intended to spend a lot of time in my cabin gazing out at the water, or getting a tan whilst sitting on the balcony, the sheltered ones are of no use. If you intend to sit around a pool all day and only use the cabin to sleep in whilst on a cruise then go for a sheltered balcony. If you wish to get a tan and stay in your cabin, go for a glass fronted balcony on 8,9,10,11,12. Hope this makes sense.

Have a great voyage and tell us all about it.

Angela

I'm sorry to hear I made you cry by the end, I'm such a mean old thing, as you point out. I think the way to get your own back is to write a review of your next voyage on QM2, then I can get emotional when I read it, because I wasn't aboard as well:)

Thank you for the compliments about the review and the pictures, glad you liked them. I'm looking forward to taking more next year.

Very best wishes and thanks

I don't I'll come close to communicating the feel of it all the way you have. But perhaps I'll try a little.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pepper,

I read your review before my crossing and am reading it again now upon return. I dined in Todd English one night....alone......feeling very out of place. I totally agree with you. I would have loved to have a "special someone" across from me during what could/should have been a romantic dinner. Instead I stared at an empty chair. I had to find my pleasure in the beautiful surroundings, attentive yet unobtrusive service and fabulously prepared meal. I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like to have the attention of a wonderful man staring into my eyes making me feel like I was the only person in the room, in what has to be one of the most romantic venues on board. I feel your pain. What made it worse? I made the reservation for one. When I arrived, the Maitre 'd (had to be the same one you had....) said, "Table for two?" "No, I made the reservation for one." Eyebrow go up, head cocks, and the same look of disdain that you described, however, I was not in heaven at this point. Then to make matters worse, when the bill came, it was for two! They fixed it pronto with apologies from all involved, but with the caveat "We just do EVERYTHING in TWOS!"

I hope your next dinner in Todd English has a different outcome. For me, I would like to try it again.....but not alone.

Hi Pepper,

When I arrived, the Maitre 'd (had to be the same one you had....) said, "Table for two?" "No, I made the reservation for one." Eyebrow go up, head cocks, and the same look of disdain that you described, however, I was not in heaven at this point. Then to make matters worse, when the bill came, it was for two!

I think I might have suggested that if they are going to charge you for two, next time the Maitre D will have to sit with you, buy you drinks, charm the socks off of you, kiss your toes, hit on you, and what all- Not treat you like a pariah. O rporvide someone to your liking who will! (And by the way, this is regardless of gender and orientation of either party! Tough on the Maitre D if he has so little class as to act like a boor! What if you were recently widowed and treating yourself to this cruise to alleviate your sorrow?)

Karie,

who usually brings a book or a crossword when dining alone...just in case. But admits it would be distracting and detracting when fine-dining.

Hi Pepper,

I read your review before my crossing and am reading it again now upon return. I dined in Todd English one night....alone......feeling very out of place. I totally agree with you. I would have loved to have a "special someone" across from me during what could/should have been a romantic dinner. .

Thank you for your comments. I'm looking forward to eating at Todd English again next year.

Very best wishes

• 2 weeks later...
pepperrn:

Am a little "late" in reading your posting, but add my thanks for posting such a wonderful review!

Thank you for that, you're very kind, glad you enjoyed it. So looking forward to writing reviews of my voyages on QE2 (2007) and QM2 (twice in 2008).

Best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

I was directed to your review as I was considering a BTB on the QM2 at a fantastic price but wondered about the wisdom of 12 days at sea and travelling on my own. I have taken 1 cruise on Caronia Cunard and 2 other T/A alone. The most recent on Millennium from Fort Laud. to Southampton 17th March - 2nd April. I don't have a problem travelling alone but without ports wondered but I have been greatly encouraged by what I have read.

I have taken 3 T/A trips with Celebrity and always with ports of call. Reading your review HOW COULD I NOT BOOK this cruise.

I have held a booking with the TA until they can give me some cabin numbers but as it is a holiday weekend this will be on Tuesday.

In the meantime I am doing my homework on the ship and loving it. This homework means that there has been little else done in way of housework.

Many thanks for your truly wonderful review.

Sue

Reading your review HOW COULD I NOT BOOK this cruise.

I have held a booking with the TA until they can give me some cabin numbers but as it is a holiday weekend this will be on Tuesday.

Many thanks for your truly wonderful review.

Sue

Sue,

Thank you. I do hope you book. Crossing the Atlantic on QM2 was an amazing experience. Do post and tell us all how you got on once you're back. Have a great time.

Again, many thanks.

Very best wishes

Hi

Thank you for the post. Today I have made a definite booking for the 12th-24th July but won't have it confirmed until tomorrow when the Cunard office opens. Paid my money given all the details passport insurance etc so now it is just a waiting game.

July 12th is not so far away and in the meantime I am off to Ireland for 6 days on the 12th June. 3 days in Dublin and when you think what you pay for a decent hotel B&B it makes the cruise sound really CHEAP.

I will then spend 3 days with my son and his family before coming home on the 18th June.

This will make the holiday just about 4 weeks away. I was planning another trip to Ireland in September but I will wait and see now. I have a Century Med. 11 night cruise booked for 22nd October.

Daughter says do you need the cruise my answer was no I don't need it but I wan't it! We both laughed!

Once again heartfelt thanks for your inspiring writing on your JOURNEY.

Sue

Pepperrn,

Without a doubt, your review and your photo journal are the finest I have encountered in my extensive research into travel on the QM2. Recently, I booked a short trip on her as an introduction, and now feel that my husband and I will certainly want to return for a longer time on board this elegant ocean liner.

Many, many thanks.

Route6A

I am doing the same journey as you in August, except we are flying back with Silverjet, and reading your trip report was a delight.

I don't travel well on a coach, did you come across anyone who simply took a cab to the Sheraton Towers, left their luggage there and got on with sightseeing?

Pepperrn,

Without a doubt, your review and your photo journal are the finest I have encountered in my extensive research into travel on the QM2. Recently, I booked a short trip on her as an introduction, and now feel that my husband and I will certainly want to return for a longer time on board this elegant ocean liner.

Many, many thanks.

Route6A

No, Thank YOU for the incredible compliments, really most kind and generous. I'm glad you liked the photos as well.

Do book either a crossing or a cruise on her, and let us all know how you got on, I love to read reviews!

Do search out Penny's ("Patwell") "Affair to Remember" it's written from the heart and is a joy to read again and again.

Thanks again

Archived