Voyage Review (repost)

pepperrn

I am doing the same journey as you in August, except we are flying back with Silverjet, and reading your trip report was a delight. I don't travel well on a coach, did you come across anyone who simply took a cab to the Sheraton Towers, left their luggage there and got on with sightseeing?

Hi

Thank you, I'm glad you liked my review, most kind.

I didn't hear of anyone who took their own luggage straight to the hotel although no doubt many did.

However one young couple (on an anniversary voyage) arranged (on the ship) to have their luggage sent to the hotel whilst they got a cab into New York (we docked in New Jersey). I ran into them the following morning in the foyer of the Sheraton, she was very upset, the coach company and or the hotel had managed to lose their bags and at that point thought they had been re-loaded onto the QM2 and sent off to Canada (in which case they wouldn't be returned for 4 days).

She told me that Cunard had been very helpful, telling them to go to Macy’s and buy a few sets of clothes and other essentials whilst they sorted the problem out. But it was not a good finish to a wonderful voyage.

The next day she was looking much happier, the bags had been found in another Sheraton Hotel. The coach company had delivered them without checking the labels and there they had sat for 2 days before a member of staff wondered why there were bags sitting unclaimed.

On my next TA I will take a cab to the hotel and drop off my bags as you plan too. The coach journey to the hotel and the chaos outside on arrival was one of the low points of the whole holiday. Never again.

Please write a review of your August trip, I love hearing all about others experiences. Have a wonderful time.

Thanks again and very best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, as you seem to have boarded QM2 at Southampton before i hope you can help me.

My parents (both late 70's) are on the QM2 Med Medley this 10th Sept. (its their 50th wed ann next year and this is an early pressie for them). Mum has mobility problems and im trying to find out exactly how you board at s'hampton, whether ots level or not and if you can use lifts.

the cunard sight says you can request wheelchair assistance but not sure what this entails

any info would be greatfully received and if you can give them any tips

about particular things NOT to miss - is it ture they have glass lifts? and is there lifts in the Britannia restaurant as stairs would be a problem

cheers

Hi, as you seem to have boarded QM2 at Southampton before i hope you can help me.

My parents (both late 70's) are on the QM2 Med Medley this 10th Sept. (its their 50th wed ann next year and this is an early pressie for them). Mum has mobility problems and im trying to find out exactly how you board at s'hampton, whether ots level or not and if you can use lifts.

the cunard sight says you can request wheelchair assistance but not sure what this entails

about particular things NOT to miss - is it ture they have glass lifts? and is there lifts in the Britannia restaurant as stairs would be a problem

cheers

I cannot speak for Southampton. Never been there (yet) but on board, there is one place which IMHO is less than perfect. This is getting to the half-floor to the photo galleries and art "gallery" in the aft. They have a wheelchair lift, which is a glassed-in elevator which is operated by hand. You MUST keep the button pushed the entire time, or it stops. I find it rather demeaning that there is no regular lift, hence, making the handicapped person feel "singled out" This is especially annoying if you don't happen to be in a wheelchair, but have difficulty navigating stairs, as so many do. People tend to look askance at someone using it when not in a wheelchair. As an advocate for those with disabilities (officially so, at one time, but always, at all times, unofficially) I am keenly aware of any accessible features which tend to stigmatize the user. In my opinion, while better than NO access, this does. People do not want to be treated as "different" They simply want to be able to enjoy the same things everyone else does and not feel left out. Other than that, I have read (on the disabled cruiser boards) of horrors of people pushing past folks in need of the lifts, rudely, repeatedly, even when they are clearly in need. It's kind of like the mentality of those who, seeing a truck wishing to enter the highway, instead of giving them room, speed up, because they don't want to get "Stuck" behind a truck! These same selfish people think that a wheelchair will take up too much room, and take extra time when they are in a hurry! They figure "Let me get my thing done first, then you can have it all you want when I'm finished with it!" Then, of course, the next group of inconsiderate boors comes along! Fortunately, I have NEVER seen this happen on ANY Cunard ship. In fact, I will actually speak up to ask people to move aside, as they often overlook the person in a wheelchair, being beneath their eye-level, and hold my arms out to create a path for the person who needs that little bit of extra space. Other than making them aware of how to use that lift in that one locations, and the fact that it can be difficult getting into and out of the tenders at tender ports, I would say that the accessibility is good, and the level of kindness and manners in people aboard Cunard ships tends to be high. They will have a delightful time. One more thing. The Britannia has stairs leading to the main entrances of the dining room, however, there are doors a bit to the side where they can enter on level surface. Those doors are left unlocked, even if closed. If they do have a wheelchair, a word to the Maitre D' and they will arrange a location at the table, or assist the person to a chair if they prefer to use a regular chair at dinner instead of the wheelchair.

I am quite certain that you will find ramps at Soton. remember, even if not due to handicapped access (and the laws regarding accessibility) people are dragging suitcases and carry-on bags, (plus carriages, and such) and the area has certainly been host to many populations of older passengers. I'm certain they should have no problem with access in that respect.

As for glass elevators on board, the only one besides that one wheelchair lift is the one which goes between 2,3, and 7 deck in the center of the ship. Oh, yes! I always forget (having not found it til my second trip! And not believing those who said it was there- How could I have missed it!) There is a scenic elevator on either side of the observation area forward. The access is sort of hidden, if you aren't looking for it! You can enter through the library, by the Atlantic room, and through a metal door before the Commodore club. You wouldn't know if you weren't looking!

Karie,

who thinks this is a marvelous thing you are doing for them!

cheers

They will be able to use the lift at Southampton terminal to take them to the 1st floor for boarding.

• 1 month later...
For all of you lucky folks who are planning a transatlantic voyage or any cruise on the QM2 this review has so much valuable information.

Beth

Beth

Thank you for that, really kind of you. Looking forward to my trip on QE2 and planning two on QM2 in 2008. I'll report on them all here....

Thanks again

• 2 months later...

Just read this & thought it deserved bumping back up to the top. I wish I'd found it before sailing, as it has so much useful information. I think I found everything once on board though - and I did use the gym (every day!) and the spa - which were both good, clean and worth trying.

Your description of arriving in New York was perfect - and brought back my sadness at the fact that we had actually come to the end of the journey, also illustrating the horror of the flight back to the UK in comparison with the sheer elegance of the TA experience.

Now... are you thinking of trying the QV ahead of my trip by any chance? :D

Just read this & thought it deserved bumping back up to the top. I wish I'd found it before sailing, as it has so much useful information. Your description of arriving in New York was perfect.

Now... are you thinking of trying the QV ahead of my trip by any chance? :D

Hi, thank you for this and for your very kind words. I've not looked at QV yet, maybe 2009. This year I've QE2 and in 2008 I've booked one trip on QM2 and am intending to book two other trips at least. So QV will have to wait for now.

Again, thank you, I do hope you enjoy your furture voyages.

With very best wishes

pepperrn, what an outstanding review! You brought the voyage to life for me and I will soon be shopping for a new outfit for the black and white ball. In addition to your writing skills, your wit was also most enjoyable. Thank you:).

Caviargal

Thank you so very much for your kind words, glad you enjoyed my attempt at writing. A year ago today I was mid-atlantic enjoying a crossing I shall never forget.

I hope you enjoy your voyage, please tell us all about it, we love to read reviews!!

I would just like to say that I enjoyed your review very much. My brother-in-law is taking the travel course and he is entitled to a free cruise with Cunard. He is either talking about the QM2 or QV, transatlantic or the caribbean. I think it would be fun to do the TA, but all those sea days in very open ocean. I have cruised from Hawaii to Vancouver before (6 days), but for some reason that was the Pacific and yours was the Atlantic (I think too much time thinking of the fate of the Titanic). Of course the ship is very luxurious and I looked at all your pictures. When you mentioned taking pictures when you were at sea, I was thinking, what of. Now I know.

Also, what currency do they use on board. Is is US or pound sterling.

I await to read more of your reviews.

I would just like to say that I enjoyed your review very much. My brother-in-law is taking the travel course and he is entitled to a free cruise with Cunard. He is either talking about the QM2 or QV, transatlantic or the caribbean. I think it would be fun to do the TA, but all those sea days in very open ocean. Of course the ship is very luxurious and I looked at all your pictures. When you mentioned taking pictures when you were at sea, I was thinking, what of. Now I know.

Also, what currency do they use on board. Is is US or pound sterling.

I await to read more of your reviews.

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, glad you liked my review. You should read Penny's (Patwell) "Affair To Remember" if you wish to read about a cruise on QM2, superbly written, I can't wait to see what she writes this year. I loved the experience of a TA crossing on the biggest Liner in the world, but then I'm sure I'd enjoy a cruise on this ship as well.

I will be adding loads of pictures after my trip on QE2 next month.

The on board currency is the US$.

Once again, thank you,

Very best wishes.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pepper,

Thanks so much for your wonderful writing about your crossing.

I will be doing in my first crossing in October, 2008 (eastbound) and what you wrote has given me some great ideas for "must see" and "must do" things aboard.

Thanks again.

Gordon

With all the current transatlantic crossings on the QM2, this review has so much wonderful information. Read and enjoy!Beth

Thank you Beth, I must do another TA soon... or maybe a back to back, that would be great! And I've great memories of the cruise last year, I had a wonderful time,

Thanks again,

Pepper, Thanks so much for your wonderful writing about your crossing. I will be doing in my first crossing in October, 2008 (eastbound) and what you wrote has given me some great ideas for "must see" and "must do" things aboard. Thanks again. Gordon

Gordon, thanks very much for your kind comments, I'm pleased and very flattered if you found any of my review interesting or of use. You'll love this Liner I'm sure. I walk her decks in my mind almost daily. Please be sure to enjoy the Commodore Club in the evenings, before or after dinner, arriving, if possible, via one of the outside scenic lifts. It's a magical, atmospheric room.

Have a great voyage and tell us all about it when you return.

Thanks again,

We are so looking forward to our back to back and travelling with so many old friends in both directions, and again in 2009 before the carribean cruise, I cant belive that Cunard had this add on for a mere £250 extra, Im sure we will be back on the beautiful Queen Victoria sooner rather than later, the Commodore club on her is a lot bigger and better than the QM2, this was and area that an improve has been made and I wonder if the QM2 will change its commodore club as well.

rob

This is a MUST READ for anyone who is planning a TA on QM2 for the first time...and a wonderful refresher for those who have done it and plan to go again. Pepper's review will take you on a day by day trip around the QM2 and point out all the wonderful places and things to do that are easy to overlook on a ship of this size.

His detailed descriptions are excellent, especially for the first timer, and when I took my first trip last December, I took a copy of this review with me so I wouldn't forget a thing he had pointed out. I referred to it often and highly recommend printing it out and doing the same. It's so easy to miss things.

And like the rest of us who have fallen in love with this ship, Pepper's passion for her shines through and I for one can't wait to read it again and look forward to November when I'll no doubt tuck it in the carry-on again!:D

Thanks, Pepper for taking the time to revise and post this again for all our new members to enjoy and learn from. This is one of the most helpful reviews you'll find folks.

Pepper is a tad delusional though... I do not deserve any credit for ANY assistance with this at all, beyond a spelling correction or occasional comma!! This is ALL Pepper's work, and well written work it is! I hope those who haven't seen it before will enjoy his trip on our favorite ship.

Cheers, Penny

The following morning was so good that I took several photographs from my balcony and a few more from the promenade. The day was bright and clear. Again, I spent the morning on deck 12 in the Pavilion Pool. I love to swim. After many lengths of this pool I laid out on the lounge chairs, totally relaxed. Eventually, I dragged myself over to the bar and ordered a coke. I read one of my library books and then I dozed for a while. Upon waking, I got off the very comfortable chair and back in the water. Later, in the hot tub, I got chatting to a lovely couple who were also going to be staying at the Sheraton Hotel in New York. A band turned up and started to play. I only heard a little as by then I was hungry.

After lunch I returned to the Library and read for a while. I could get easily accustomed to this life of indulgence. Some days I live entirely for pleasure! As the weather was so good, I took many more photographs around the ship, inside and out. They had re-opened three outside areas that had been closed so far because of high winds. The observation area just below the Bridge, Deck 13, and an area at the foot of the “bridge screen” behind the cranes on the bow.

The observation area (forward on Deck 11) follows the curve of the Bridge above it. It is a great place to really enjoy the ocean. From here I was lucky enough to see many of the dolphins that swam alongside the ship on several occasions. And, there, yes, it’s a whale! As we sped past it seemed to play in the water off the starboard bow, just for us. I tried to get a picture but, by time it had surfaced and I’d pressed the shutter button…. it had gone, back below the waves. Time and again I tried. Marvellous. Immediately behind this open deck is the “Atlantic Room“, a small semi-circular space used almost daily for bridge and other card games.

I went up two more decks and came outside on Deck 13. Here, above the Bridge, is another forward observation area, this time protected from the wind by a thick glass screen. Moving aft I found a pair of sports courts. Beyond these is the “Regatta Bar”, an outside bar that didn’t open on this crossing. There are more hot tubs here and a very shallow “splash pool”. The pool was drained of water but the depth when full could only have been a couple of inches! The hot tubs were open and working however. Moving aft, there is a large open deck area that once had “hover only” marked on it (for helicopters). Next, I came to an observation platform reached by way of some steps. It was not large but is the highest public part of the ship (I liked to refer to it as “Deck 14” but that makes it sound larger and grander than it is). This is where I would be when we entered New York Harbor.

I then came to the glass roof over the Pavilion Pool and descended to Deck 12. After passing alongside this pool area (which also has golf simulator ranges, ping-pong tables and a comfortable bar), I could see the massive bulk of the huge black and red funnel towering over me. I then walked past one of the huge illuminated signs “Queen Mary 2”, again, the largest at sea. Aft of this, on the port side, is the “Boardwalk Café”, which also didn’t open while I was on board, and to starboard, the kennels.

As I’d now reached the rear of deck 12, I had below me the terraces of decks cascading all the way down to deck 6. What a sight.

I went down to deck 7 and then forward. The promenade on QM2 is on one level (no steps), and is an “open promenade” almost all the way. But at the bow it is enclosed as it curves around the front of the superstructure at the base of the bridge screen. This enables passengers to walk all the way around deck 7 in all but the very roughest of weather (when the whole promenade is closed). There are windows looking into it from the gym and windows looking out towards the bow. Two doors give access further forward. Here there are spare propellers (two missing on this trip). They are arranged like a modern art installation. There were two cranes and the cargo hatch ahead of me. It was a popular place once it was re-opened.

I went there at night once or twice for a breath of air. The rest of the ship was brightly lit but here (so that no light could be seen from the Bridge and spoil night vision) was pitch black. Above me the night sky was alive with more stars than I’ve seen for years.

That night was the last formal evening and I had booked the “Todd English Restaurant” for dinner (at 7.30). I had a pre-dinner drink in the Commodore Club and then made my way aft on deck 8, starboard side. The entrance hall is circular with a red, buttoned and stuffed, circular sofa in it. The décor is unlike any other room on the ship. Inside there is a large bar area. I approached the Maitre ‘d and gave my name. He looked disdainfully at me (I knew immediately that I was in for a gastronomic delight there and then. Any restaurant that employs head waiters who wouldn’t normally allow me in their dining room must be good). He waved a waiter over and, after deciding which corner of the room I would be the least offensive in, told the waiter the table number. He couldn’t have been less welcoming. I was in heaven.

After the huge Britannia Restaurant I got a taste of what it must be like dining in the smaller, more intimate atmosphere of the Grill rooms (although even they are larger than Todd English). The restaurant is wonderfully lit and decorated. Every little detail of the table setting had been well thought out.

The meal was beyond my expectations. I cannot put into words the flavours and tastes that I savoured that night. There is a $30 per head additional charge for dining here and it was worth every one of those dollars. The service was outstanding. I knew before boarding the ship that the last course was going to have to be “Chocolate Fallen Cake”. I’d heard so much about it. My god was it good. I didn’t want to leave. I’d eaten so much and so richly that I very nearly couldn’t. The restaurant was full when I did, eventually, make my way, reluctantly, out.

I’m probably not giving the game away here by answering a question I was going to leave till the very end (yes, I will stop eventually). “Will I have another voyage on the Queen Mary 2?” The answer, of course, is “YES”. And next time I would like to have someone with me that I can take to Todd English with romantic intentions. There would be no finer place in which to wine and dine that “special person”. And, after dinner here, out on deck, against a spectacular sunset, no better ship on which to propose. Don’t wake me up at this point.

I had missed the show (“apassionata”) in the theatre (I didn’t rush dinner). We three friends came together later, by accident, in the ’Club (Alright. OK. As you’ve gathered by now, if we couldn’t find each other, we would hang around the ‘Club. Sooner or later we would all turn up). My American friend, who had seen that night’s show, said it was largely a dance show and that he had really enjoyed it. In the Queens Room it was “Ascot Ball” night. Many ladies wore outrageous hats. I understand they had a great time. I saw them as I went (for the last time) to G32. I was so relaxed, well fed and mellow that I did something I said I’d never do. I undid my bow tie and took off my dinner jacket. I sat there with my drink, smiling, happy simply to be on this wonderful ship.

Thankyou so much Pepper, we are sailing on her again tomorrow & I'm sat in our room at the DeVere Grand Harbour reading this, AGAIN:D

I think I will read Penny's again before I go to sleep. We will be up bright & early to go & see her at the Mayflower Terminal, which is just across the road from here. Thanks again.

Sharon

We are so looking forward to our back to back and travelling with so many old friends in both directions, and again in 2009 before the carribean cruise, I cant belive that Cunard had this add on for a mere £250 extra, Im sure we will be back on the beautiful Queen Victoria sooner rather than later, the Commodore club on her is a lot bigger and better than the QM2, this was and area that an improve has been made and I wonder if the QM2 will change its commodore club as well.

rob

You are so right Rob, the Commodore Club on Victoria is fantastic!

Sharon

Thankyou so much Pepper, we are sailing on her again tomorrow & I'm sat in our room at the DeVere Grand Harbour reading this, AGAIN:D

I think I will read Penny's again before I go to sleep. We will be up bright & early to go & see her at the Mayflower Terminal, which is just across the road from here. Thanks again.

Sharon

BON VOYAGE Sharon....hope your bedtime reading gave you pleasant dreams. Enjoy your journey....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

This has been so wonderful... Thank you for the re-post. I dont know how I missed it the first time around. I had for the past few nights had a great time reading each installment. Well, actually I even pulled it up durng my lunch hour to get my fix!! I can also picture myself printing this out and putting it in my suitcase come our November cruise!!

Reading this much later than it was written I am curious.... Was this posted

during the voyage or after a return home?? With this level of detail I can only guess this was written during the voyage. Do tell!!

Archived