Is HAL coming back to Nofolk VA?

sassy~one

Was looking for a getaway the other day and checked for a Norfolk departure.

Was thinking "if" we found a decent price and it departed from someplace we could easily drive to, maybe we'd do another cruise this year... but we weren't that lucky.

I would be surprised if HAL went back on a regular basis to Norfolk. The cruise terminal wasn't the problem; the mid-size ships just couldn't make it back to Norfolk through the Atlantic seas in the time allotted, yet adding another full sea day was too much. The seas can be very rough in the waters along the NC/southern VA coast and the R and S ships could not keep the itinerary schedule HAL wants.

I would be surprised if HAL went back on a regular basis to Norfolk. The cruise terminal wasn't the problem; the mid-size ships just couldn't make it back to Norfolk through the Atlantic seas in the time allotted, yet adding another full sea day was too much. The seas can be very rough in the waters along the NC/southern VA coast and the R and S ships could not keep the itinerary schedule HAL wants.

WADR: This is a specious argument.

New York is further from the Caribbean than Norfolk, and sailings from there face the same seas/weather.

Additonally, the new terminal will not be limited to "small" ships.

It is a matter of bang for their buck. They believe, through research, that they will get a higher $/passenger net sailing out of NY than Norfolk, primarily due to population concentration and transportation facilities.

I want them back too, and the city and Commonwealth are lobbying hard, especially with HAL, which had the most history sailing from here.

Sadly, wishes aren't fishes. :)

Cheers

Mark

For us it would be a 8-10 hour drive vs a 2 hour drive to NYC. I would gladly drive to Norfolk rather than sail out of NYC where so much of the cruise is still in the cold weather.

I was planning on booking something out of Norfolk--and then they left!!!

GO BACK TO NORFOLK-----PLEASE!!!!

Bill,Sharon....HI there. IM ready again!

Mark...I did 3 11 night Maasdam's last year...and there NOT listening. LOL

HECK i dont even want to go to Bermuda.RMUDA

Hurry HAL, im thinking about changing to RCI..lol.

Thank You everyone...Sassy

Archived