Kids don't want to go...........

nagster

Since the cruise is already paid for, they wouldn't have a choice as to whether or not they wanted to go. But you can belive the next cruise they go on will be when they can pay for it themselves. I wouldn't book them on another one. I wouldn't stop my enjoyment because the kids chose to be brats though. I would still continue to cruise without them (I would leave them in safe hands of course).

This whole topic was painful to read.

I go on a cruise to get away from my kids. They are great kids... we dote around them 51 weeks of the year. A week long cruise is devoted purely to my wife and I... and it wonderful. :)

And here you are... making kids come with you.:eek:

I can totally relate to how the OP feels. So many people are saying take them anyway, that's not what she asked. Last year my son was giving us a hard time, we chose to leave him behind at the last minute for a trip to the Daytona 500. Granted, he didn't ask to stay home, he was pretty upset not to go, but he was having such a hard time in school and with us that we all needed a break from each other. He stayed home with grandma and his aunt and we went and had a wonderful time. I would hate to see the OP take them and have her trip ruined. Is there someone else that you could put in place of them, for $50 per person Carnival will allow you to change the name. Then I would leave them home, making it clear with the grandparents that they are to get no special treatment, but rather let them sit home bored all week. Maybe even dock their allowance to pay your loss on the trip. Our son once was sent home from school for behavior problems. I told him that I make $10/hr (my boss should be so lucky, but this was a figure that made sense to my then 9 son) and that he would have to pay me from his allowance for the time off work.

Only Carnival can tell you what your penalty would be, but I don't fault you for wanting to find out your options. No one can put themselves in your shoes. Good luck, and hang in there!

Becky

Our 13 year old gd loved Camp Carnival and made tons of friends. Only stipulation was that she have dinner with the family. She did and we enjoyed seeing her, but after dinner it was back to her peers and that's o.k. too. If they are like the dozen or so teens I talked with on Liberty they were all great kids and everyone had a blast.

Well I am glad that the OP is taking them...once you get on the ship ignore the hell out of them and have a blast and have that be it...you know...not just yours but it seems as though all kids these days including mine are not at all appreciative of the better things! Once you get to a port find a child that is not as lucky as them and ask them if they would rather be living like that! They should appreciate that you have spent your hard earned money and your time to do this for your family...

This whole topic was painful to read.

I go on a cruise to get away from my kids. They are great kids... we dote around them 51 weeks of the year. A week long cruise is devoted purely to my wife and I... and it wonderful. :)

And here you are... making kids come with you.:eek:

1000% agreement! I am still trying to figure out how to tell my kids that they are not going on our next cruise!

I would either make them go or tell them how much money they cost you. After sharing that amount, make them work and pay back every single penny. I'd wager they'll be packing their bags before you can say "cruise" if they have to pay you that kind of money, not to mention work for it. A toss up between work and any kind of vacation gets them every time! :D

Just booked a cruise last night, last minute leaving next thursday. Kids have been total brats, complaining about everything and they don't want to go. At this point I don't want them to go either. My mom is coming with us so we got a 3 and a 2 if they don't go do I tell carnival, I know I will eat the money but I still need 2 cabins because not sure mom wants to be in with me and the hubby. Kids are 13 and 14.

Who rules the roost here?

When our kids whine about not being able to go with us on trips and start the, "Well, why did you even have kids then," guilt complex garbage, we look them straight in the face and say, "Dude, for the tax write off, naturally." Shuts them up every time. And yes, we also have the 16, 14, 13, adolescence bullsh*t going on at our house too. As others have noted, they get 51 weeks a year. OK, maybe 50 some years, but those 7-14 days belong to DH and I. And we are taking them on a cruise in October but if one of them whined I'd leave them home in a heart beat. When we get home all happy, tanned, having had a wonderful time they will have no one but themselves to be angry at. I'd rather leave them at home than take them and listen to 1 minute of whining as a result. Now, if they were any age besides the adolescent angst ages of 13-18 I might reconsider, but this is so typical behavior for kids this age. DH and I do not humor it at all.

PS...if I had already paid for the room, I think I would see if mom had some friends that might like to go last minute (at their expense, natch), or see if another family member wanted to go and stay with dear old mom (again, at their expense). Some retired folks can go on a minute's notice. Worse case, I'd take the kids and park them in a chair on deck until I was ready to move (out of earshot of course so they could whine til they were hoarse if they wanted), and let them see how truly miserable a cruise can be. What I don't think I could do, and what I think OP was eluding to, is just act all peppy, jolly, "Oh come on this will be a blast--you'll see". And then actually let them loose to have a good time on the ship. Sometimes I think our children forget that I am older and wiser and trying to outsmart me never works. Sigh.

Hopefully I wont get mean responses for this, but my take on this is althought the kids are 13/14 etc..and yes they are still minors. I feel that they should have some say so in the matter. I feel the parents should have mentioned this to them *prior* to booking the last minute cruise. I dont think kids should be forced or made to go on such a wonderful cruise. Being that they have cruised before, maybe they just dont have the same appreciation for cruises as us adults...but one day (adulthood---they may change their minds). I feel that some things kids should have a say so and in my opinion this is one of those things....had it been discussed on the front end, then other arrangements could have been made for them to stay elsewhere and that would have meant no loss of money for the parents. I often hear parents say they want their kids to think for themselves or the parents want to know they can trust the choices the kids have made....well this is one of those things. The kids dont want to go, so you shouldnt make them. I think being able to cruise is a privilege:D and that it should be done by choice and not by force.

So heck, to the OP...go soak up the sun and have yourself some fun, call and check on the kids from time to time to make sure all is well and go back to enjoying "your" vacation. :cool:

I would leave them home, making it clear with the grandparents that they are to get no special treatment, but rather let them sit home bored all week. Maybe even dock their allowance to pay your loss on the trip.

Becky

I'm with Becky and a few others on this one. It sounds like you have already decided that all five of you are going on the cruise, I wish you the best. I have 11 and 13 year old kids and know just how special the teen years are.

I hope you have a great vacation...and that the kids apologize for their attitude!

Payd:)

I would either make them go or tell them how much money they cost you. After sharing that amount, make them work and pay back every single penny. I'd wager they'll be packing their bags before you can say "cruise" if they have to pay you that kind of money, not to mention work for it. A toss up between work and any kind of vacation gets them every time! :D

But why should they be made to pay back any money for something they did not ask for? :confused: They didnt ask or suggest that the parent spend money on them for a cruise. They may have very well wanted the money to go do something they consider fun or rather go shopping...that could have been their idea of fun vs a cruise. Now for me, I'd rather go cruisin anytime you wouldnt have to ask me twice:D!!

I have a teen who hates ANY vacations - he really likes his comfort zone and would prefer to stay home. So to get an enjoyable family vacation, we bring one of his friends along! If he doesn't have a friend, he pouts and ends up spoiling the trip for everyone else, but with a friend along he has fun and the rest of us do, too.

I cant believe they are complaining. At their age it should be considered "cool" to be going on a cruise, and they will meet some great new friends no doubt! Once they get onboard that amazing ship i bet they have a change of heart.

But why should they be made to pay back any money for something they did not ask for? :confused: They didnt ask or suggest that the parent spend money on them for a cruise. They may have very well wanted the money to go do something they consider fun or rather go shopping...that could have been their idea of fun vs a cruise. Now for me, I'd rather go cruisin anytime you wouldnt have to ask me twice:D!!

My reasoning was that maybe they'd realize how much money their parents spent in trying to do something fun for the whole family and be more appreciative of their thoughtful, generous parents. I would have given my eye teeth for a family vacation like that when I was young, at ANY age!

she will be a platnium member on RCCL and I don't know what they call it on Carnival - she has 6 CCL cruises under her belt - #7 is coming up in June and next year for her 8th grade graduation we are taking her and her best friend to the Med for a cruise. We love cruising, she loves it more. We do request her presence at dinner each evening and on port days she must be with us - otherwise she is involved with Club H20 and has a ball. She makes friends easily and is still in contact with friends she has made on cruises via email. She's not a "spoiled" kid, as she was a foster child who we took in and then adopted. Her early years were horrible, she had to be street smart from about the age of 2. When she came to us her idea of dinner was to open a can of spaghetti - not hot mind you, just eat it out of the can. Suffice to say, she is now a middle school honor roll student, learning two languages, French and Spanish, planning on going to college to be a nurse, or an engineer, or a vet or you get the picture.... she can be anything she puts her mind to....we take her out of school each fall for a cruise with her grandparents and us, and believe me, I've listened to the school "squalk" about that one just about enough... she'll continue her fall "break" for many years to come. There is much to be learned for children on a cruise - she is poised in a formal situation, knows how to order dinner at the dinner clubs, is confident and can handle about anything thrown her way. Not to mention all the places she has visited and learned about....

Kids grow up too fast -- enjoy your family -- take your kids with you --these are memories to last a lifetime....

I hope that your kids go and have a wonderful time. I am sure they will. We don't leave for 16 months and our kids are already planning what to do in the ports.

Not knowing what they are going through.....defiance is such a good way to deal with things when you are that age.

Good luck and have fun!

Sandi

If it was my kids I would say tough luck. This is a family vacation and you are going and you are going to have fun! I can't say that I've ever given mine the choice of going or not going, or for that matter asked them before I made reservations. I figure when they are paying there own way they can make those decisions.

Have they cruised before? My kids werent really to happy about going on our first one till we got there. Now my MDS (13) asks almost eveyday how much longer till we go, and my ODS says he really needs to go get a job so he can pay for us to go on more. LoL!

MEthinks they were trying to push my buttons, anyway they are going and the can pout and moan all they want, too bad. I hope they know that not only are they going but I am going to not be a happy camper during the trip just to annoy THEM.

there you go!!!! your now have a gaol!!! its sooooo easy to mortify them at that age, be sure to wear shorts with black socks & sandles before you even leave for the airport.... also dont forget the Ipod (or confiscate thiers) or earplugs so your dont have to hear them whine as much and get start the trip with a bloody mary and fru fru drinks as soon as you get on board!!

you can also threaten them with "if you dont stop your whining You will have to spend every moment with us whatever we are doing, sit with us at the pool, art auction everything"

you can also threaten them with "if you dont stop your whining You will have to spend every moment with us whatever we are doing, sit with us at the pool, art auction everything"

LOL, here here. My kids know better than to go on a whining spree with me.

Nip it in the butt.

We took our 13 year old daughter on a cruise for her BD in January along with our 8 and 7 year old and they all loved it!

Sounds to me like they are trying to pull your strings... because they think they can.

In my opinion, if the kids did not want to go and I had paid for the trip, they would be going, if there was any way the kids might perceive my leaving them home as a win because it will make the next time there is an issue much harder to resolve. I say this in hindsight from someone that was too big a softy when it came to raising my girls and that comes directly from the girls.

Carol

Just booked a cruise last night, last minute leaving next thursday. Kids have been total brats, complaining about everything and they don't want to go. At this point I don't want them to go either. My mom is coming with us so we got a 3 and a 2 if they don't go do I tell carnival, I know I will eat the money but I still need 2 cabins because not sure mom wants to be in with me and the hubby. Kids are 13 and 14.

Tell the kids that YOU are the parent and that they ARE going. End of discussion, pack your bags.

I can't stand kids running parent's lives. Parents make the decisions, kids go along for the ride.

Archived