Do you think the practice will ever stop?

flagger

Frankly, I think the ticket slot machines aren't anywhere near as much fun as the coin ones were. Part of the fun of hitting on a slot machine was listening to the coins jingle into the tray and scooping them into a plastic cup.

Germs or no germs, I'd rather do that any day! It's too bad that these machines are few and far between now. If all I wanted was a little slip of paper showing my winnings, I'd play online :P

As for the Baked Alaska parade, it's fun. I am not worried about any issues.

Come to think of it...

Those piles of used towels and robes that aren't immediately whisked away by stewards. We should ban towels and robes from the pools and Aquaspa. Or maybe we should just ban the pools and Aquaspa.

Those trays of dirty dishes sitting in the corridor with unconsumed food and beverage. Room service must be banned.

Those kids with grubby little hands and runny noses touching everything. We should just ban kids under 7.

Those glasses of champagne and mimosa passed around on trays in the open air. We should ban those complimentary beverages at embarkation.

Those musicians playing woodwind or brass instruments and blowing their germs all around. You gotta ban them.

People with unwashed or ungloved hands waiving good-bye from the ship's rail. Better ban waiving entirely!

Come on people, let's all call the CDC in Atlanta and get this thing rolling. Afterall, these can all be rationalized as something someone didn't like in the first place.

Only in Bizzaro World do germs fly off twirling napkins and infect people. To those concerned about this, I'd suggest a plastic bubble with accessory options for formal night.

LOL!!!! Oh man!!! This had me laughing so hard I had to run to the bathroom!! :D :D Thanks, RdubYa, I needed that! ;)

Celeste

I'd recommend to anyone afraid of the noro virus to go on any of the medical sites available. You'll see statistics, that cruise ships account for only 10% of reported cases of the virus. Most appear in schools, nursing homes, hotels etc. In other words, spinning napkins isn't going to change statistics. Washing your hands is the only

solution. I noticed women , and my husband said he noticed men, not washing up after using the bathroom. Now that is gross. And the culprit lies there. Just use common sense, right?

If you go by the CDC statistics, cruise ships do not account for 10% of the norovirus but in the American Population account for under .001 percent.

On the last few cruises we have done, I noticed that security at the gangplank for some strange reason wants to take your card and insert it in the card reader. I can do this myself without having a grubby paw that has recently handled a thousand cards touched by every passenger before me transfer who knows what onto my card. The machine probably transfers enough germs by itself.

Do they have to do away with Sea Cards also?

Just got off a Holland America ship and there is no crew member grabbing cards here when you get on and off the ship. They use a hand scanner and all you do is hold up your card as you exit or enter. Much quicker and no need for anyone to touch your card.

Seriously, I do believe there is such a thing as being too worried about this stuff. I take hygiene very seriously but it's virtually impossible to eliminate all potential problems on a ship.

Like anything else in life, if common sense prevailed, we'd all be better off.

Archived