Very interesting thread on HAL board...

SakeDad

Things seem to be going pretty well for that thread on the HAL board. Too bad gay related threads arent allowed on the Carnival board. I bet there would be some interesting replies over there.

I guess HAL is just a little more classy. :D

I knew there was a reason I didn't care for Carnival (Although HAL is owned by CCL).

My partner and I enjoyed both our sailings on HAL.

I haven't checked out the thread yet, but I think that everyone should keep PDAs to a minimum. I don't need to see people tongue wrestling in public.

Since I'm cruising Carnival next, and since the HAL thread has been so interesting and polite, I just posted the same subject as a new topic on the CCL board, then came over here and discovered I'd committed a faux pas. So it's well-established that no queer-related threads survive on the Carnival board, huh?

Sigh...

Oh well, at the least the waiters dance on the tables...

:)

Since I'm cruising Carnival next, and since the HAL thread has been so interesting and polite, I just posted the same subject as a new topic on the CCL board, then came over here and discovered I'd committed a faux pas. So it's well-established that no queer-related threads survive on the Carnival board, huh?

Sigh...

So where is this Carnival board prohibition coming from? That's just weird. CC is one entity. I could see where certain topics are not allowed in certain categories such as roll calls, etc. But it would be strange to be able to comment on headlights on the Ford board but not on the Chevy board. :)

Sigh...

You are correct. NO GAY RELATED TOPICS ON THE CARNIVAL BOARD.

How odd that on the HAL board and RCI board they are allowed.

My guess is there is a particular mod that is homophobe and if you look at my signature there is a clue there.

In fact this particular mod has come over here before and put his two cents into some threads (and being less than civil about it) and then poof the whole thread vanishes. I guess because he realized what he said or just wanted to have the last word and then deleted the whole thread to cover himself. Oh and dont call him out on it. Because then he will go through and ramdomly delete some of your other post too. :rolleyes:

Did anyone email the management and ask why on the HAL and RCI boards gay topics are allowed but not on the Carnival board? Especially if its the exact same topic?

I have found out that asking why a post or thread was removed is useless. You will get an email that is very vauge and gives numerous reasons why thread or post are removed but not exactly why yours was removed.

I guess I now know the REAL reason why there is a gay section on this board.

A place for everything and everything in its place.

AND REMEMBER YOUR PLACE GIRLS!

You are correct. NO GAY RELATED TOPICS ON THE CARNIVAL BOARD.

AND REMEMBER YOUR PLACE GIRLS!

Actually, as of this very moment, the thread is alive, well, and thriving on the CCL board. Just goes to show you.

And you know what they say: "A gay man's place is in the home-o."

Actually, as of this very moment, the thread is alive, well, and thriving on the CCL board. Just goes to show you.

And you know what they say: "A gay man's place is in the home-o."

Thats a good thing. I just wish it were more consistant.

Most of the time such things are deleted or moved back over here from that board.

I guess with the same topic on the HAL board the mods were backed into a corner and waiting for even a little reason to move it somewhere. :rolleyes:

Yeah, like there's only one "jeans in the dining room" thread on just one board...

Oh well, I thought it was nice to have it on the CCL board while it lasted. Different posters than on the HAL thread, which was my point in taking it there. And there was very little nastiness, considering it went to 80 posts or so.

Though I understand the reason not to keep wildly OT threads on boards, in this case, discussion of the subject at hand could slearly and productively go beyond a mere "yes/no/maybe," and since I found the discussion to be productive and pretty damn polite, I found the move a bit disappointing, especially as the HAL thread - which wandered OT no less than the CCL discussion - is still right there...

The Mods seem to be running behind today. Is there anyone interested in helping them out and clicking the report button on every topic that should be moved the to float away lounge?

You know like insulin and tuxedo rentals. Things like that.

Whats good for one is good for all right? :D

I, for one, thank you shepp for starting that thread on the carnival board. I'm sorry it was moved to the floataway lounge. Being a newbie here, I would have NEVER found it and don't consider it OT at all!

Correction. It has vanished completely now. :rolleyes:

Correction. It has vanished completely now. :rolleyes:

Well, that's really...um, frikked. As much as I appreciate CC, there's something Orwellian about this whole thing. Whom are athe mods protecting, exactly? Clearly, such a popular thread, one that a wide variety of participants expressed interest in and support for, and that was conducted in a remarkably polite manner (give or take a couple of posts) was at least as important to many folks as a thread on HAL's meatloaf.

Well the thread on the HAL board was moving off topic. The cause? One of the host. I called him on it and he politely told me it was his job to say whats off topic and whats not.

I replied to that and told him that threads that veer off topic are subject to removal and please stop because the thread is going so well we dont want to lose it.

I guess he took offense and deleted my response.

I was very polite about it.

I guess they have a way of letting us know just who's in charge.

I'm not surprised that it's gone. I'm actually surprised it lasted so long on the CCL board. History on CC has shown that those on the CCL are less likely to stay on topic and manage a proper discourse. The religious discussion was WAY off-topic, but I really didn't want to degrade it any further. Those with religious convictions aren't usually interested in a rational discussion in any case. Personally, I think it has to do with the specific demographics that Carnival seems to attract.

I'm not surprised that it's gone. I'm actually surprised it lasted so long on the CCL board. History on CC has shown that those on the CCL are less likely to stay on topic and manage a proper discourse. The religious discussion was WAY off-topic, but I really didn't want to degrade it any further. Those with religious convictions aren't usually interested in a rational discussion in any case. Personally, I think it has to do with the specific demographics that Carnival seems to attract.

I concur. I find that the bible thumpers think its ok to be in your face and tell you that you are going to hell!! You have to live by their standards or else!

But by GOD have a different opinion and out look on life and they want us to shut up and not be so confrontational and in their face about our "lifestyle."

Hypocrites! Gotta love em!

I have learnt to be able to talk politics and religion and not take it personally. But so many people can't.

The nice thing about Judaism... it's built on questioning, arguing and not taking things personally. The whole Mishnah and Gamarah are built on discourse.

I moderate on a Gay board and we have to remind people to not get personal but to talk to the subject instead of the person. Especially when it comes to Gay Republicans... who seem to be a particular target.

So just whom are these discussions for? Are they for the moderators and board owners, or for those of us who post here?

Yes, I can understand rules against ad hominem attacks and wildly off-topic posts. But the CCL discussion seemed to me (and some of you know I can get combative) generally well-mannered, with very few outright flames in the 70+ posts. So how about letting a long discussion go where the participants want it to go, within reason? What's the harm? This isn't Wikipedia, fer godssake, and if a reader feels a discussion is going astray, he or she can just flip to the next topic. If the topic is about straights dealing with queer cruisers, then it seems to me that a certain amount of leeway should be granted. That is, homophobia may well enter into the discussion, as well as the roots of that homophobia. On the other hand, someone who wanted to steer the HAL thread into a discussion of tolerating children onboard clearly was OT.

The whole tight-***ed moderation thing just seems so...parental. And not in a good way.

So just whom are these discussions for? Are they for the moderators and board owners, or for those of us who post here?

Yes, I can understand rules against ad hominem attacks and wildly off-topic posts. But the CCL discussion seemed to me (and some of you know I can get combative) generally well-mannered, with very few outright flames in the 70+ posts. So how about letting a long discussion go where the participants want it to go, within reason? What's the harm? This isn't Wikipedia, fer godssake, and if a reader feels a discussion is going astray, he or she can just flip to the next topic. If the topic is about straights dealing with queer cruisers, then it seems to me that a certain amount of leeway should be granted. That is, homophobia may well enter into the discussion, as well as the roots of that homophobia. On the other hand, someone who wanted to steer the HAL thread into a discussion of tolerating children onboard clearly was OT.

The whole tight-***ed moderation thing just seems so...parental. And not in a good way.

My guess is one of the Mod's on the Carnival board got a flat tire on his house again and that caused him to get his panties in a twist. :D

Archived