Dress Code for Sagrada Familia in Barcelona?

A website I visited descibed it thusly, and it's a sentiment I think I agree with:

"Keep your feet, knees, and shoulders covered when entering the cathedral, as it is considered disrespectful to wear revealing clothing in a sacred place. Plenty of tourists walk in with their sandals, shorts, and tank tops, but who wants to be the ugly tourist?"

The Sagrada Familiar is nothing like the Vatican. It really is the unfinished cathederal and when we visited there was no feeling of being in a cathederal. It is a fantastic place and a must for Gaudi fans. The tour buses from Placa Catalunya go there and you can get off and on all the way round the route. Beware the dodgy characters hanging around the bus stops though. Do not carry your passports with you. Ask your hotel to photocopy them and stamp them with the hotel official stamp. You cannot use a credit card in Spain without showing your passport and the shops and restaurants will accept the photocopy endorsed by the hotel. Leave your passports in the safe at the hotel. We have been to Barcelona several times and have never had any problems with pickpockets etc. nor have we met anyone else who has, but you should still be vigilant at all times.

The Sagrada Familiar is nothing like the Vatican. It really is the unfinished cathederal and when we visited there was no feeling of being in a cathederal. It is a fantastic place and a must for Gaudi fans. The tour buses from Placa Catalunya go there and you can get off and on all the way round the route. Beware the dodgy characters hanging around the bus stops though. Do not carry your passports with you. Ask your hotel to photocopy them and stamp them with the hotel official stamp. You cannot use a credit card in Spain without showing your passport and the shops and restaurants will accept the photocopy endorsed by the hotel. Leave your passports in the safe at the hotel. We have been to Barcelona several times and have never had any problems with pickpockets etc. nor have we met anyone else who has, but you should still be vigilant at all times.

Hi Thank you for the information.

I have visited southern Spain, Malaga and Marbella and never had to show my passport to use my cc ( ALthough I think sometimes my dh wished I did). Is this a Barcelona trend?

Thanks for the advice

The areas open to visitors are not used for prayer services so there is no dress code.

The only time we were asked for a picture ID was when we made a large purchase and when checking in at the hotel.

Hi Thank you for the information.

I have visited southern Spain, Malaga and Marbella and never had to show my passport to use my cc ( ALthough I think sometimes my dh wished I did). Is this a Barcelona trend?

Thanks for the advice

We have also been asked for photo id (usually for us Brits this means a passport, and it was the hotel manager who told us this) in Palma in Majorca, Murcia, Granada and Benidorm and we certainly were in Barcelona. The stupid thing is that I had left the photocopy in the hotel room so still had to get some cash to pay for the shopping! Just go prepared and you will have no problems.

We are in pursuit of everything Gaudi when we cruise to Barcelona. Is it necessary to wear long pants and cover our shoulders at Sagrada Familia the way that you must do this for the Vatican in Rome?:D

I saw no dress code whatsoever in the Sagrada Familia, and my family was not happy that I made them dress appropriately, because I wasn't sure. It is not used for worship yet and has no religious icons on the interior, no crucifix, altars, chapels, etc. Mostly, it is a construction site. The Barcelona Cathedral is a different matter.

Archived