Lobster? On A Cruise Ship??

Piton1

We were on the 8/23 Sensation and the lobster was served on the first night!

The second day was port day in Nassau and was also formal night. So, no lobster on formal night. Lots of people didn't even show up for formal night as they were still ashore (port was from 10am until 6am the next morning).

The next day was "at sea" on the way back. That would have made a lot more sense for formal night and lobster night when everyone was onboard.

Really, I was pretty disappointed that formal night was while we were in port and after a long tiring day of excursions.

But still, any lobster is better than no lobster. My son ate three. One at dinner and two from room service at 9pm. (Tee hee, we learned that from our first cruise. If you have early dinner and are craving more lobster later, just ask room service if they have any extras right after the late dinner seating. :) ) Me, I ate one at dinner and watched the boy that hated lobster six months ago smack away with each bite.

Only on these boards will you find someone transforming a discussion

about lobsters into a political discussion, red lobsters and blue states!

What's next, you can't appreciate a russet potato unless you are a senator

from Idaho?

• 3 weeks later...

the wife luv s lobster regardless how it s prepared..myself i can t even taste the flavor of lobster..i much prefer a shrimp dish over a lobster dish

at any restraunt..

can someone describe what a lobster taste like..the wife does a horrible job of trying to explain..:confused:

• 1 year later...
Speaking only for myself and what I have observed from friends and family, I'll tell you why some people look forward to dressing up and eating lobster on a cruiseship. I live in the Midwest. Yes, good steak is easy to find, but lobster costs PLENTY. *Some* people are taking a cruise because it is an affordable way to experience "exotic" destinations, try new food, and get all fancied up in formal dress clothes that are normally reserved for weddings and funerals- all in one place at one price- while earning a middle income salary. We are not all eating lobster and prime rib ever weekend, so it is a treat for some people, no matter how mediocre you may think it is.

I also eat it when we can get it, We are also midwesterners and Lobster is not available in Lake Michigan. We are not able to buy it fresh that often to bring it home and cook it ourselves. I like all shellfish and I know I can get most of them on cruiselines.

• 2 weeks later...
I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship. I can hardly believe there is a gigantic tank full of thousands (because that's how many passengers there are) of live lobsters toodling along the seas nervously awaiting their fate. Most likely they are pre-cooked and frozen and reheated at service.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this? A frozen, dried-out crustacean produced in a mass-market manner?

Why in the world would this be a "feature" of Formal Night, as I usually eat my lobster in a tee shirt and jeans because it's going to go all over the place? Do you get a bib for your tuxedo?

When I want a good lobster I go to the local fishmonger and take it home and cook it myself. I might even drink a delicious Colt 45 with it. But at least I know my lobster is FRESH!

We don't order lobster on a ship. We know how they have to cook those frozen things in mass. Then they cover them with the silver domb while delivering them from the kitchen to the dining room -- and they keep cooking under there and getting all gummy.

Guess we are spoiled as we can get lobster any time we want to at our restaurants -- and they are fresh!!

• 2 weeks later...
I am unable to understand what impels some people to post threads that serve no other purpose other than to try to insult other people's tastes and preferences.

Why in the world would you drag along a tuxedo and dress up for formal night? Why in the world would you spend an extra $30 for a specialty restaurant? Why in the world would you want to spend your cruise indoors watching a video? Why in the world would you stay on the ship instead of enjoying the island? Why in the world would you check your email on a cruise? Why in the world would you pay for overpriced photos? Why in the world... why in the world... why in the world?

Why? Because I'm not you. Thank the good Lord for that.

p.s. I'm allergic to shellfish. I'm just sayin'...

A-men! You get the impression that those folks are the same that will sit with you at lunch while you pull out your sandwich and say, "ew, what is that?".

Well, I must confess, I love lobster. We don't see fresh lobster here in

West Texas very much. When I do see it, it is so very expensive.So when I am on a cruise I always order lobster. I have had good lobster and bad lobster. My absolute favorite is Maine lobster.

I have eaten the smaller lobster from the caribbean but it is much

smaller and not as tasty.

I don't think it is crazy because people like seafod, and if they don't like it there are plenty of other options. It is also good with most of the allergies, so that is helpful to the chefs. It is expensive, though, but the presentation is great!As far as being messy...thats why we have soap and water and napkins!!!!;)

Didn't mean to denigrate the lobster in Britain or even France. I just didn't think that the lobster tails on shipboard would be considered the real thing except by Americans from the Blue states.

This made me laugh. The blue states tend to be the ones that actually have an ocean nearby.

I always eat the lobster on lobster night and I'm always disappointed by it. I don't want them to stop offering it though - it's part of the sense of indulgence that makes the whole cruise thing fun.

• 1 month later...

I am just off the Carnival Elation and I noticed the downgrade of not only there lobster tails, but ALL their food. Now on the menu is lobster & shrimp, not just a lobster tail. I know why too, the lobster tails are 1/3 to a 1/4 the size they use to be, maybe 3 bites if you are lucky. GH got 2 bites from his. In the past a tail plus an appitizer and salad would fill me up, this time I had an appitizer, salad and 2 tails, as I wee bit late and saw the size of one walking up to the table (1st & 2nd one sent out on a full plate with the shrimp even though I told the waiter NO shrimp, just 2 tails) and after I was done I was still wanting more lobster. The only time I get to eat lobster is on a cruise. I get to eat shrimp all the time, but not lobster. So I was so very disapponited. At least I know if I go on another cruise to order ONLY lobster tails and order like 10 of them, I know that sounds awful, but I am paying for it right?!!! I mean I have seen crayfish bigger than these lobster tails. Anna

Being from New England, the lobster on board is so pale in comparision (and taste!). There is nothing sweeter and more delish than a fresh cooked lobster. I'm fortunate that I live where they are available at a reasonable price...especially when you know lobstermen and can pay 'boat price'.:D

For a long as I've been cruising (early 1980's) and probably beyond, lobster night has always been considered a highlight of the trip. When I was a kid, it was always offered on the most formal night of the cruise. So I believe it has become a very strong cruising tradition, and like any traditions, people get upset when they change or go away.

I agree the lobster served today is not of the highest quality, but darned if I don't order it and enjoy it every time!! :D

I was once told that Princess is the only cruise line that have live lobsters in tanks on board their ships. Is this true?

I did not see any live lobsters in tanks onboard the Caribbean Princess when I sailed her in May 2008.

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing lobster on the menu at all!

If only one could get claw/knuckle meat on lobster night, I would be all over that. Alas it will never be...

I can understand the appeal of lobster night to many though, and to each his or her own. I just hope that those who have only experienced cruise ship lobster will one day be able to taste the "real deal". The claw and leg meat, in my opinion, are vastly superior to the tail, and well worth the price of a whole Maine lobster.

I just finish my cruise on the Liberty, and the lobster and shrimp was excellent. They was cook just right. For a frozen lobster, it was not bad, and to my surprice, it was a Maine lobster. I expected to get a Caribean lobster.

Frozen lobster? I grew up on the water in Maine. We walked to the boats and got "culls", one claw lobsters for dollars off the asking price. I can't imagine eating frozen lobster....but...since I'm not going to get home this summer (going to Alaska instead :) ), I'm looking forward to lobster night. And I agree, Bethwte. The leg and claw are definately the sweetest meat.

• 5 weeks later...

Last year on Ruby, lobster night was interesting. The tail was served along with two shrimp. They were all the same size. Maybe 3 or 4 oz. each. Oh well. Being from Colorado, we are used to paying $1.50 an oz. for frozen tails. You coasters don't realize how good you got it. Harry :cool:

I have also found it funny that one night the feature entree is turkey and dressing. Now, I love turkey and dressing, but I don't eat it on a cruise ship. I can get it at our local diner (blue plate special) everyday and in 18 cruises I have never tried their turkey and dressing.

I prefer to try something new for nearly every meal. To each their own:D

• 2 weeks later...

This is kind of interesting....we are doing the Super Club for our anniversary. What I "refuse" to eat out is steak! I only eat steak I have purchased and cook at home. NEVER (in the last 3 years) at a restaurant.

So I kind of decided at the Super Club I'd go for the Lobster. But you guys are scaring me...LOL....I hate the idea of eating a chicken breast the Super Club...or Pork Chops....

Like most people, I have not lived in lobster catching areas. So lobster will always be special.

The cruise lines do a wonderful job of serving their cruising passangers, and with inflation at the point it is now, I don't think it is a good time in our monatary history to be complaining about such petty things as lobster. To have a nice waiter who serves us the way they do. with food for thousand(s) coming from such a small kitchen - we should not critique too harshly. Its not the Ritz.

And for the price we pay Cruise Lines to haul us to exotic locations, entertain us, keep kids, clean the ships, keep ships running and arriving on time - Lobster is a luxury that could go. On some cruise lines it already has. They don't owe us a lobster.

Smile and say "Thank You".