Post Cruise at Miami Intl Airport-Fun Things to Do?

I, like hundreds/thousands/millions of cruisers, will find myself at the Miami airport with hours to kill between the post-cruise tour and plane departure. Recommendations on:

-best place to eat at the airport

-airplane viewing area

-quiet place to hide/read/sleep on the floor

-interesting store for last minute buys

-anything in vicinity of airport (short taxi ride away) to see / visit

-anything unique to do at the airport (years and years ago the Pittsburgh airport had a movie theater)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are few "nice" places to eat at MIA--and the shopping--there are some stores, but why?????? I second the motion to get a room for several hours. There's nothing worse than trying to "kill time" in an airport!

I, like hundreds/thousands/millions of cruisers, will find myself at the Miami airport with hours to kill between the post-cruise tour and plane departure. Recommendations on:

-best place to eat at the airport

-airplane viewing area

-quiet place to hide/read/sleep on the floor

-interesting store for last minute buys

-anything in vicinity of airport (short taxi ride away) to see / visit

-anything unique to do at the airport (years and years ago the Pittsburgh airport had a movie theater)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

There is nothing worth your time at Miami Airport.

I believe we paid $95.00 + tax in March @ the airport hotel. (the total was $101 and change) They wouldn't let us reserve a room so when we got to the airport we went straight there. They told us to come back @ 10:30. At 10:00 a line was forming and they assigned rooms @ 10:30. Check out was 6:00.

The rooms are very small (our cabin was larger), but clean & the bed was quite comfortable. It's definitely worth the $$. Sitting in the airport for 6 or 7 hours is not my idea of the way to end a vacation!

Depending on what time your flight is, you could use a downtown hotel and spend a nice day at Bayside. We just check our luggage in a hotel (Radisson in our case) and hop over to Bayside for the day.

Westpac72, I work at MIA, and there is not a really any "quiet" place to hide/read etc and believe me you do not want to sleep on the floor here! The suggestions to get a room in the hotel are highly recommended. The MIA Hotel has just undergone a major renovation. The hotel is located in Concourse E on the Terminal Building, and I believe the day rate for a room is $80. Their web site is: www.miahotel.com

There is a lovely and quiet restaurant located on the 7th floor of the hotel with very nice views of the runways, and should you not want to get a room, you can easily kill some time in the restaurant as they will not rush you out of there.

MIA has recently opened lots of new stores, included many recognizable names such as Ron Jon Surf Shop, Brookstone, Borders, Havana Shirts (Tommy Bahama etc) in addition to the usual sundries gift shops etc. , and there is a Jetsetter Spa where you can go get a massage, manicure, etc.

There is NOTHING to do in the vicinity of the airport nor would I suggest that you attempt to do anything around here. You didn't mention what time your flight departs....if it is later in the day you could take a cab to one of the local attractions like Parrot Jungle, Seaquarium, Museum, etc.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have! Enjoy your trip.

Westpac72, I work at MIA, and there is not a really any "quiet" place to hide/read etc and believe me you do not want to sleep on the floor here! The suggestions to get a room in the hotel are highly recommended. The MIA Hotel has just undergone a major renovation. The hotel is located in Concourse E on the Terminal Building, and I believe the day rate for a room is $80. Their web site is: www.miahotel.com

There is a lovely and quiet restaurant located on the 7th floor of the hotel with very nice views of the runways, and should you not want to get a room, you can easily kill some time in the restaurant as they will not rush you out of there.

MIA has recently opened lots of new stores, included many recognizable names such as Ron Jon Surf Shop, Brookstone, Borders, Havana Shirts (Tommy Bahama etc) in addition to the usual sundries gift shops etc. , and there is a Jetsetter Spa where you can go get a massage, manicure, etc.

There is NOTHING to do in the vicinity of the airport nor would I suggest that you attempt to do anything around here. You didn't mention what time your flight departs....if it is later in the day you could take a cab to one of the local attractions like Parrot Jungle, Seaquarium, Museum, etc.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have! Enjoy your trip.

Thank you very much for the information. Always appreciate hearing from people who are there / been there. Thanks for all your help.

Archived