Cruise Air and Air Deviation Explanation

greatam

It seems clear that with this program, Princess has moved the ball forward. IMHO, this must be a net benefit to the average cruiser who typically had little or no control of their air arrangements. Most likely, advanced users could still do better on their own. With this eZAir program, cruisers could still choose between 2 types of air tickets--called Flexible and Restricted. One would think that Flexible tickets could not--almost by definition--be consolidator tickets. But they can't be regular coach tickets either as any change must be made 45 days prior to the flight. As you note, until more actual experience is developed, only time will tell if Restricted tickets offer a meaningful benefit to a cruiser.

This side discussion does not take away from the main point that the CC article referenced earlier needs to be updated.

Edited by parody

• 4 weeks later...

And second-next port protection is questionable at best. Some ports there is no airport-like the private Caribbean islands. Cruise lines won't allow passengers to fly into certain airports-Haiti and now I am sure Jamaica. So how is Princess going to handle that? I will bet in all the legalese they will go back to the original cruise contract-CASH REFUND for the unused air and you better hope you took out insurance for the cruise portion or you are SOL. JMHO

Maybe they should change the wording to next port with an airport.

An interesting entry on one of the HAL captains' blogs:-

26 June 2010; Tilbury 3rd day.

Captain Albert | June 27th, 2010

There was a spot of bad weather somewhere over the United States and that got our Air/Sea ticketing department all excited. Even to such an extent that they were asking me if I could delay the departure time, if necessary. That decision involves looking at a large number of things. The most important ones: One; How long can I stay and still make the next port on time, while running a safe speed all the time? I have to cross the North Sea and there are areas where the traffic is so dense that racing through them at full sea speed it is not always good seamanship. Two: How will this affect my fuel consumption, in relation to the number of people affected? It does not make much sense to spend $20,000 extra on fuel if one or two guests have to be flown to the next port and it would cost only $ 500. Three: Are these people flying on HAL tickets or are they on own arrangements? E.G lays the responsibility of a timely arrival at the ship with themselves or with the company. Four: even if they land on time, will they make it quickly to the ship? Traffic Jams could delay their arrival by yet another hour. Five: If I delay the ship and I would not make the next port on time, would this be fair to the guests already onboard? This is a consideration that comes into play when we are talking higher numbers. Normally if the next port call can be extended then is not such a big issue but if it can’t then it takes a good bit of consideration.

So although there is still no guarantee and (strictly speaking) no contractual obligation to do so, it looks like HAL will sometimes take a different approach to you if you have flown on tickets arranged by HAL rather than arranged independently.

But the other factors involved in whether to wait or to leave passengers behind are also very interesting. I never thought that a higher speed to the next port might cost as much as $20,000 in extra fuel burn.

Ok, now I'm really nervous. We are first-time cruisers and have made some classic mistakes. We researched destinations before deciding but then jumped at a special sale through a popular online cruise agency. In hindsight, we rushed through the booking, believing everything the agent on the phone told us. Now we regret some of those decisions but it's too late to change now. She convinced us to book cruise air and transfers through Princess because "it will be their responsibility to make sure you get to the ship on time." She made it seem so easy and common sense. There was no mention of "air deviation" and I'd never heard that term until today. Now we are not happy with the flights we were assigned but it's too late to change. I called her today to question the flights and she got angry that I was questioning them and then said that when she called Princess about changing them they laughed at her. Our problem is that we need to fly from Boston to Vancouver. We are routed through Toronto with a 3 hour layover there and get to Vancouver with less than 2 hours to make it to the ship. They insist that is enough time. Of coure we know there couldn't possibly be flight delays! When I asked about changing, she told me it would probably cost us $900 more to change. When I asked about flying in the night before and staying at a hotel, she insisted that we would have to "buy" a hotel room from Princess and it would cost us more than $500 for one night and it was in Seattle. We couldn't book our own hotel. It was hard to talk with her because she just kept talking over me and wouldn't explain anything without making me feel like a dunce. So I guess we are stuck with these flights and just cross our fingers that we will get to the ship on time. Any advice? Please spare me the lectures, I know, I know...

Take a deep breath, exhale; and again? :-) OK, congratulations on your cruise! :-)

Firstly, you were going to need to connect somewhere to get to your port of embarkation. BOS YVR is not available as a non-stop city pair. YYZ - Toronto is actually a fairly user-friendly, and reasonably efficient airport.

You will need to clear Canadian Border Services Agency (customs and immigration) in Toronto -- and you have plenty of time to do that and to make your connection. On a typical day, there are 16 non-stop flights from Toronto to Vancouver in case there is a problem. Should Toronto be messed up, from Boston, you would still be able to connect through Ottawa or Montreal on AC to reach Vancouver.

Chances are you will be fine. What I would do, as your cruise approaches, is keep an eye on weather, especially in Boston and Toronto -- if you think there is going to be bad weather (think thunderstorms) visit Air Canada's website here: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/operation/index.html?src=hp_ta and keep an eye on operational issues. Arrive at the airport ahead of time with alternate routings in hand (you can investigate those here: http://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights.do) and rather than wait for a gate agent / CSA to re-book you in case of a cancellation, call reservations -- don't line up. Have AC's toll-free number handy: 1-888-247-2262

Sadly, most popular online cruise agency CSAs are on commission -- and cruise air / transfers means more $$$ for them -- especially when cruise base fares are steeply discounted to move in this economy.

Good luck. Hopefully you have insurance just in case?

Scott.

We are routed through Toronto with a 3 hour layover there and get to Vancouver with less than 2 hours to make it to the ship. They insist that is enough time. Of coure we know there couldn't possibly be flight delays! When I asked about changing, she told me it would probably cost us $900 more to change. When I asked about flying in the night before and staying at a hotel, she insisted that we would have to "buy" a hotel room from Princess and it would cost us more than $500 for one night and it was in Seattle. We couldn't book our own hotel. It was hard to talk with her because she just kept talking over me and wouldn't explain anything without making me feel like a dunce. So I guess we are stuck with these flights and just cross our fingers that we will get to the ship on time. Any advice? Please spare me the lectures, I know, I know...

I would call Princess or post on the Princess board. MOST of the cruise lines REQUIRE check in at least 90 minutes before the ship departs, some 2 hours. That is a Homeland Security rule and may not apply for a Vancouver departure, although I believe it is still applicable.

In reality, paying $500 for one night in a Seattle hotel (I know-totally exorbitant hotel price) is cheaper than paying $900 change fee if they are going to change your flights for free. And Princess is providing shuttles to Vancouver. May be something to think about.

I would call the agency back and ask for a supervisor if you are considering the hotel. Otherwise, all I can wish you is good luck.

Ok, now I'm really nervous. We are first-time cruisers and have made some classic mistakes. We researched destinations before deciding but then jumped at a special sale through a popular online cruise agency. In hindsight, we rushed through the booking, believing everything the agent on the phone told us. Now we regret some of those decisions but it's too late to change now. She convinced us to book cruise air and transfers through Princess because "it will be their responsibility to make sure you get to the ship on time." She made it seem so easy and common sense. There was no mention of "air deviation" and I'd never heard that term until today. Now we are not happy with the flights we were assigned but it's too late to change. I called her today to question the flights and she got angry that I was questioning them and then said that when she called Princess about changing them they laughed at her. Our problem is that we need to fly from Boston to Vancouver. We are routed through Toronto with a 3 hour layover there and get to Vancouver with less than 2 hours to make it to the ship. They insist that is enough time. Of coure we know there couldn't possibly be flight delays! When I asked about changing, she told me it would probably cost us $900 more to change. When I asked about flying in the night before and staying at a hotel, she insisted that we would have to "buy" a hotel room from Princess and it would cost us more than $500 for one night and it was in Seattle. We couldn't book our own hotel. It was hard to talk with her because she just kept talking over me and wouldn't explain anything without making me feel like a dunce. So I guess we are stuck with these flights and just cross our fingers that we will get to the ship on time. Any advice? Please spare me the lectures, I know, I know...

All I can say is next time - use a different travel agent.

Ok, breathing... breathing... thank you so much for this advice. I have printed it off and will be carrying it with me. We do a lot of traveling, but this is our first cruise and first time not booking all our own arrangements, so I guess my control issues are rearing their ugly heads. At least it's not december and threats of snow storms. 4 weeks to go.

Thanks again soooo much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I am one of those, Let someone else do it. This is our first cross-country trip/cruise (to Alaska), and it was just a bit overwhelming. Yes, I was scared. I booked it ALL through NCL. I have no issue with the flight from the east coast to Seattle, and we planned it so we will arrive 2 days before the cruise to see the area.

But, of course, at the end of the cruise the ship docks at 8 AM, and our flight back home leaves Seattle at 11 PM that night. I KNOW there were other flight options when we booked the cruise because I looked. But I was just too unsure to book us myself.

So now, what in the world do we do with ourselves and our luggage for 15 hours, keeping in mind we will have already spent 2 days in Seattle, and we have transfers from the boat to the airport.

When I called to complain about that 15 hour wait, and the fact that we won't land in Hartford until after 9 AM the following day, I was told that ALL the flights back to the east coast after one of their cruises is a red-eye.

Why don't they tell us this? (Rhetorical question...I know the answer.)

Gee, this has put a damper on what had been so exciting for us. Yes, we will certainly make the best of it. And maybe I just needed to get this off my chest. Any advice on what to do with ourselves and our luggage that day greatly appreciated.

Well, I am one of those, Let someone else do it. This is our first cross-country trip/cruise (to Alaska), and it was just a bit overwhelming. Yes, I was scared. I booked it ALL through NCL. I have no issue with the flight from the east coast to Seattle, and we planned it so we will arrive 2 days before the cruise to see the area.

But, of course, at the end of the cruise the ship docks at 8 AM, and our flight back home leaves Seattle at 11 PM that night. I KNOW there were other flight options when we booked the cruise because I looked. But I was just too unsure to book us myself.

So now, what in the world do we do with ourselves and our luggage for 15 hours, keeping in mind we will have already spent 2 days in Seattle, and we have transfers from the boat to the airport.

When I called to complain about that 15 hour wait, and the fact that we won't land in Hartford until after 9 AM the following day, I was told that ALL the flights back to the east coast after one of their cruises is a red-eye.

Gee, this has put a damper on what had been so exciting for us. Yes, we will certainly make the best of it. And maybe I just needed to get this off my chest. Any advice on what to do with ourselves and our luggage that day greatly appreciated.

Once again, another reason not to book cruise air. That said, in the future, treat the cruise and the flying as separate. Book your cruise. Then book your air the same as you would if you were staying in a hotel (that didn't float).

My recommendation to you is, rent a car. At least that way you will have a place to keep your luggage. Then pick out some sights you want to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Several years ago we went to Alaska, flew to and from Seattle, spent a couple of days in Seattle precruise, we were bussed from the airport to Vancouver and back to the airport. We got a hotel for the day in Seattle that had an airport shuttle, they picked us up at the airport we slept a lot of the day away and the shuttle took us back to the airport for our evening flight. I think it was a Day's Inn or something like. It was near the airport. Worked well for us since my DH was not feeling well that day.

Edited by Clairescurtains

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read this thread with great interest. Thanks for helping me make up my mind about purchasing cruise air - not!

I have a question on consolidator tickets. If you purchase air from sites such as travelocity, orbitz, etc. do you end up with consolidator tickets or regular tickets? The first time I ever heard the term was reading through this thread.

Thanks.

I have a question on consolidator tickets. If you purchase air from sites such as travelocity, orbitz, etc. do you end up with consolidator tickets or regular tickets?
You may end up with one type or the other. Sometimes it's hard to tell which you're going to get.

Sites like this often offer consolidator-type tickets as "special fares" which have different rules and restrictions from those applicable to published fares - but you sometimes have to dig quite deeply to see what you're getting.

Another clue is that the published fares are often higher than the fare offered by the airline by exactly the amount of the service fee charged by the website - so if you see that exact differential between a website price and the airline's own price, that can also provide a clue that you're getting a published fare from the website rather than a consolidator-type ticket. (However, if it's more expensive to buy the same published fare from the website than it would be from the airline, there aren't often many good reasons to do the former.)

• 4 weeks later...

OMG..sorry but I'm so confused here, can someone help?? I have just booked a 12 night med cruise out of Rome with RCC includeding air and transfer (might remove the transfer). We fly in the day of the cruise arriving at 10:30am. I did this because they were able to to offer a better price on a direct flight, and said 10:30 is plenty of time to make the cruise. Note I had to pay the flight protions in full when booking. When I log into my reservation, under choice air I see the flight# time etc just as I had requested. I noticed a lot of these posting are a few years old and my TA said that thing have changed with air via the cruise lines and that is why you pay for the flight in full when booking (to ensure your seat), is this correct??

OMG..sorry but I'm so confused here, can someone help?? I have just booked a 12 night med cruise out of Rome with RCC includeding air and transfer (might remove the transfer). We fly in the day of the cruise arriving at 10:30am. I did this because they were able to to offer a better price on a direct flight, and said 10:30 is plenty of time to make the cruise. Note I had to pay the flight protions in full when booking. When I log into my reservation, under choice air I see the flight# time etc just as I had requested. I noticed a lot of these posting are a few years old and my TA said that thing have changed with air via the cruise lines and that is why you pay for the flight in full when booking (to ensure your seat), is this correct??

Your TA is mostly wrong. What the cruise lines have done is dump their consolidator class, non published, purchased a year in advance on contract tickets into online software. RCCL's software is actually Travelocity's "backend" software. It is NOT Travelocity, just their software.

And now instead of the cruise lines having to pay a lot of man hours to issue tickets to customers, the customers do the work (find your own flight on a website). Saved the cruise lines a LOT of money in payroll AND the airlines/software provider make a few extra bucks through the booking fee. NO DIFFERENCE in most of the tickets from the old cruise air tickets. The cheapest on Choice Air/EZ Air are STILL consolidator class tickets with all the restrictions-generally heavy duty change fees, non reroutable and NON ENDORSABLE to another airline. If you can't read the ENTIRE fare rules, you really have NO IDEA what you have purchased. And unless something has changed very recently, you cannot read the ENTIRE fare rules on Choice Air.

Since you have already paid for your tickets, you are kind of stuck. I certainly would not feel comfortable arriving for a Med cruise just a few hours before the cruise departs. People do it all the time. But IF there is a problem, you have not left yourself any "wiggle room".

There are so many "what ifs"-your plane is late, your luggage is missing, there is a security shutdown someplace along the way, there is a mechanical problem with your plane. Just too many chances to have something go wrong and start your vacation off with a frown instead of a smile. Good luck!!!

Sorry me again ...given that we booked our flight & transfer via RCC, if our flight is delayed is it up to them to ensure I get to the port (on their dime) whether its the departing port or the first port of call?

Absolutely NOT!!! A common cruise air fallacy.

While the cruise lines will TRY to ASSIST, they are under NO OBLIGATION to get you to the cruise, particularly not for free. Whether you get to your cruise in a timely fashion (before 50% of the cruise is over) is a function of the airlines, NOT the cruise line. I believe the exact wording on the Choice Air website is "will work with". Weasel words. No guarantees.

Also, the overriding contract which covers your cruise, hotels, excursions, transfers AND air booked through the cruise line SPECIFICALLY states the cruise line is NOT responsible for anything they do not DIRECTLY control. Please read paragraph 5. Almost all cruise lines have the same or very similar wording in their contracts.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

I have been pretty lucky so far with cruise/air arrangements. Due to a variety of reasons - mainly no plastic - I use Costa's own flight & hotel arrangements when I cruise and so far they have been extremely efficient and they have made a note of airlines/airports that I would rather avoid if at all possible and they have in the most part gone with my choices.

Since they use Amadeus GDS, along with my chosen airlines, the flights are up and available for seat allocation within 48 hours of the booking being confirmed (this can be dealyed if the flights are over 50 weeks away, of course).

The prices of the flights & hotels have been under or equal to what I would be paying if booking them independently...so I am happy to let Costa continue with making my arrangements. I know this does not suit everyone, but it does me.

My next cruise is from Buenos Aires, originally I had been put onto BA flights to EZE via LHR & GRU out of MAN, the booking was with a new TA as my original had retired, so I mentioned to the TA to ask for a certain person at Costa and have me taken off the BA flights and to go with my choice of airline, Air France...this was done immediately and without any fuss. Unlike the BA flights, the AF ones are more direct...MAN-CDG-EZE.

Like I said, having the flights & hotels packaged via the cruise line doesn't suit everyone, but if you can get it to work for you, then I see no reason not to stick with it as it really does save alot of hassle when it works well :)

Edited by Goldryder

I have been pretty lucky so far with cruise/air arrangements. Due to a variety of reasons - mainly no plastic - I use Costa's own flight & hotel arrangements when I cruise and so far they have been extremely efficient and they have made a note of airlines/airports that I would rather avoid if at all possible and they have in the most part gone with my choices.

Since they use Amadeus GDS, along with my chosen airlines, the flights are up and available for seat allocation within 48 hours of the booking being confirmed (this can be dealyed if the flights are over 50 weeks away, of course).

The prices of the flights & hotels have been under or equal to what I would be paying if booking them independently...so I am happy to let Costa continue with making my arrangements. I know this does not suit everyone, but it does me.

My next cruise is from Buenos Aires, originally I had been put onto BA flights to EZE via LHR & GRU out of MAN, the booking was with a new TA as my original had retired, so I mentioned to the TA to ask for a certain person at Costa and have me taken off the BA flights and to go with my choice of airline, Air France...this was done immediately and without any fuss. Unlike the BA flights, the AF ones are more direct...MAN-CDG-EZE.

Like I said, having the flights & hotels packaged via the cruise line doesn't suit everyone, but if you can get it to work for you, then I see no reason not to stick with it as it really does save alot of hassle when it works well :)

European cruisers booking cruise air packages have far more consumer protections than US cruisers booking the same type of package. The European packages DEMAND that if air is disrupted, hotels and meals are covered, alternate flights are found, the consumer is taken care of for most expenses. No such guarantees for those from the USA. We also DO NOT have to have travel insurance, which is generally part of European packages. And even if we do, we "pay upfront", then try to settle with the insurance co. Totally different premise in the way air/hotels/transfers, anything that is NOT directly controlled by the cruise line is handled.

• 4 months later...

While the cruise lines will TRY to ASSIST, they are under NO OBLIGATION to get you to the cruise, particularly not for free. Whether you get to your cruise in a timely fashion (before 50% of the cruise is over) is a function of the airlines, NOT the cruise line. I believe the exact wording on the Choice Air website is "will work with". Weasel words. No guarantees.

Is this recent? I swear I read years back that the one way to prevent problems when flight schedule problems interfered with your cruise was to be sure to book flights through your cruise line. I guess now, as with air travel in general, you're S.O.L unless the protections provided by the EU apply.

Not a problem in our case- I plan to use miles to get us to Alaska for our cruise next year and will be padding the itinerary with at least one overnight in each direction to allow for slip-ups.

Edited by Gloria Mundi