Japanese Hair Straightening

Okay, all. I'm a hairstylist in Portland,OR and am very good buds with a stylist who only does Japanese hair straightening. Luckycruiser was partially right. JHS is what's known as a thio relaxer. The main ingredient is ammoniumthioglycolate. Most regular relaxers are sodium hydroxide. Thio is much weaker than hydroxide. Thio relaxers are what are used in jheri curls, if you've ever seen one of those. JHS is a thio relaxer which is put on along with protein and conditioners, flat-ironed in, and then neutralized. JHS is safe on all hair types, from fine, caucasian, to the coarsest, ethnic hair you can dream up. If your hair is highlighted with bleach over 30 vol. (ask your stylist), the JHS may not be able to get it as straight without damage, but can usually get a vast improvement over the curly-frizzies. For great, true pics, descriptios of the system/process, and all sorts of great info, go to www.unsprung.net . I agree with this stylist, the Liscio system truly gives the best results... it's the original. Other "american" versions have come out, such as CHI, Paul Brown, etc, but are really only going to get a decent result on hair that is already mostly straight. Anyway, enough rambling. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

I treatmyself to the process about every 8 months. It is so amazing if you want pin straight hair. Mine is very long and it is worth every expensive penny. It is important to only go to a professional who is trained in this process and not to one of the salons that only charge a couple hundred dollars. The timing and the washing and the neutralizing process are critical.

I had it done... the Chi system.. paid 500.00 (400.oo plus tip) and it was TOTALLY worth it. It lasted 1.5 years for me.

It was sooooo nice... no friz when it rained, etc. I didn't realize how easy and nice it was until it grew out. I'm dying to get it done again, but it is hard to drop 500.00 for hair.

The shine was the best part. Sooooo sooo shiny. I worked in a hair salon and I'd sy it is kind of like a reverse perm, but not quite... the added shine it unlike anything I've ever seen before.

I did have some breakage, but to me as annoying as the breakage was growing out, it was totally worth it for having no frizz in the humid weather and the shine was wonderful. It really made hilights look fabulous.

Nita. what is the name of the product you used?

Ogilvie Conditioning Hair Straightener for All Hair Types

I had to go look it up on Walgreens.com. There was a more expensive one but it had some really bad reviews and this one had some good reviews. It has been over 3 months and some of the wave is coming back a little, but my hair is still much easier to style in the straighter styles and I am still happy with the results..

My biggest complaint, is the time! It took me about 3 hrs total I think.

I had it done about a year ago. my hair when dried is still pretty straight. I just have to take a flat iron to it for a few minutes. I loved it and wish I had the money to do it again so I didnt have to use the flatiron

Nitra!!!! My new BFF on CC!!! I ran to Walgreens and bought the Olgavie straightener and just finished a little while ago. What a relief!!! I had been missing my straight shiny hair and was really feeling depressed about whether to spend the 500.00 on a treatment again.

This is pretty darn good. Not a 500.oo job, but really good for 10.00. In fact, I seem to have had less breakage this time with the home system. I'd say my hair is about 90% straight. I would have been happy with just the frizzies and little curly q's around my face gone... but this is soooo much better than I had hoped for.

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for the recommendation. It doesn't stink either. :)

Oh, it took me less than 1 hour, but I have fine hair. I only left the solution on for about 7 minutes.

Glad to help, I figured for 10 dollars it was worth a shot.. I was happy with the results too. I left mine in for about 5 min less than it recommended. I have fine color treated hair, which it said not to use it on but it worked great. My hair is in better shape that it has been in years. I even colored it a couple weeks after I straightened it and it did fine. It took a lot longer for me.

I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask every so often too so that might be what is helping too.

Anyway glad it worked for you and you are happy with the results. It will hold you over a few months until you decide if you want to pay for the big bucks job.

Okay, all. I'm a hairstylist in Portland,OR and am very good buds with a stylist who only does Japanese hair straightening. Luckycruiser was partially right. JHS is what's known as a thio relaxer. The main ingredient is ammoniumthioglycolate. Most regular relaxers are sodium hydroxide. Thio is much weaker than hydroxide. Thio relaxers are what are used in jheri curls, if you've ever seen one of those. JHS is a thio relaxer which is put on along with protein and conditioners, flat-ironed in, and then neutralized. JHS is safe on all hair types, from fine, caucasian, to the coarsest, ethnic hair you can dream up. If your hair is highlighted with bleach over 30 vol. (ask your stylist), the JHS may not be able to get it as straight without damage, but can usually get a vast improvement over the curly-frizzies. For great, true pics, descriptios of the system/process, and all sorts of great info, go to www.unsprung.net . I agree with this stylist, the Liscio system truly gives the best results... it's the original. Other "american" versions have come out, such as CHI, Paul Brown, etc, but are really only going to get a decent result on hair that is already mostly straight. Anyway, enough rambling. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thank you for your post. We also live in Portland! My DD has the curliest hair you've ever seen on a white child! And the texture is different on several parts of her head. We'd been told about this Japanese Hair Straitening thing but haven't done much research yet. My hairdresser did try to do a straightening perm on her last fall and it did relax it a bit, but she's soooo much wanting that "flat" look. Is this a possible treatment for someone who has almost aphro-like hair?

I have had both a relaxer (opposite of a perm) and the Japanese straightener. They are different processess. However, after either process, I recommend good shampoo and conditioner for your hair.

My hair is quite wavy, but not evenly, so it doesn't look pretty curly. We live near the coast in San Diego and my hair frizzes up when the air gets moist (almost every evening.)

The Japanese method takes longer, is more expensive and will create a much different look than the relaxer. The relaxer is just that, it relaxes my hair, but did not make it stick-straight. If you want your hair stick straight, go with the Japanese.

Either way, your hair will grow in curly or wavy or whatever it was prior to the straightening. A straight iron is handy during the growing out stages.

Amy in San Diego

thanks awrightsa, it was nice hearing some one's perspective who has done both.

I'm currently looking for a salon near me that will do it and see how much it will cost me. It may be expensive, but for nice hair for a long time, I would be so happy. And I still plan on cruising.

Thank you for your post. We also live in Portland! My DD has the curliest hair you've ever seen on a white child! And the texture is different on several parts of her head. We'd been told about this Japanese Hair Straitening thing but haven't done much research yet. My hairdresser did try to do a straightening perm on her last fall and it did relax it a bit, but she's soooo much wanting that "flat" look. Is this a possible treatment for someone who has almost aphro-like hair?

I'm 1/2 black and 1/2 white... totally have the afro going on. The stylist, Alysia, is here in Portland, and is doing mine on 4/28. She's in SE Portland. Mine's straight-ish in the front, totally kinky in the back and totally unmanageable, I break combs in it and everything. Alysia gives consultations. Her website (www.unsprung.net) has pictures, more info, and cost/time, etc. Hers is about $450-$490, and takes about 8 hours, but gets it stick straight until it grows back (it's always going to grow in curly)

Okay, isn't it funny how we sometimes want the opposite

of what we have?

I have always had stick-straight shiny hair, and back in the

day I would get the occasional perm for loose curls. That is

what my stylists always recommended to fix my fine straight

hair. Perm it, scrunch it, then dry it under the heat lamps. A

couple of months later my hair looked fried.

I always hated my hair because it was straight.

Now, I see people doing the reverse: curly to straight, worrying

about the damage.

The sad part for me is that long straight hair is finally, gloriously

in style and I am too old to revel in it.:)

Reminds me of the Sneetches.

Sealegirl - Thanks again for the very helpful information. I'll check out Alysia's website. Can soooo relate with the "breaking the comb" for my dtr it's the back/crown area. Painful for her to brush through ~

klct39lg - you are so right about wanting what we don't have! Guess I'm at the age/stage where I'm comfortable with my curls and other's who don't have them are always telling me how envious we are.

Wow- that hair looks AMAZING! This is the Japanese form correct?? Will the hair stay like that if it gets wet??? Can you recommend someone who can do it for me? I live in Oklahoma but am willing to drive to Texas. Maybe I can find a salon here to do it what exactly is is called and what should I ask for? THANKS!1

For the best results, finda a salon that does Japanese Hair Straightening or Thermal Reconditioning (another name for the same thing) and then ask if they use the Liscio or Yuko system. These are the two original Japanese compaies that developed the process. If you go to www.yuko-usa.com you can see a list of the stylists in your area that use the Yuko system. Liscio doesn't seem to have the same type of locator, but their website is www.milbon-usa.com. For example, in Oklahoma, there is only one stylist trained in the Yuko system, and she's in Clarermore. In Texas, though, there are several.

If this is done right, using a good system, there is little breakage at the root caused by bending, and the hair WILL NOT revert when it gets wet. The roots will always grow in curly, so you'll have to deal with that; it takes about 3 inches of regrowth to get the best results in a retouch. If I can figure out how, I'll post my personal pics when I get it straightened in 2 weeks.

FYI-In order for a stylist to order and use these 2 systems, they have to go through extensive training by the manufacturer at their headquarters in NY or LA. If a stylist you find uses any other system, like CHI or Paul Brown, etc, they can just get them from their local distributor, read the instructions (or not, in some cases), and go for it.

Another FYI- On that Yuko website, stylists are listed in order of when they learned the straightening. But, it's backwards. The further DOWN the list they are, the longer they've been doing it.

Hope this helps, Dezi!

:D took forever (about 1.5 years) but i finally got my hair re(japanese)straigtened. i got it done FREE at a local beauty school. supervised by a rep from 'bio-ionic' which was the name of the product used.

my hair is shiny, straight and didn't even move when i went out in the rain with it.

i can tell in a few spots that i didn't have pros working on my hair, there is a little wave in one small area in the back, but i wasn't expecting perfection when i got it done for free by first timers.

i highly recommend this to anyone who wishes to get rid of all traces of curl.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my straightening done on Saturday... and so wished I had done it when I was 8, 10 year old. I could have saved myself so much ridicule in school, teasing, and time... it turned out gorgeous. Absolutely pin-straight, shiny... I can comb through my hair, no more brushes and detanglers. I've worn my hair down for the past two days... and previously hadn't worn it down since 4th grade. Sorry to emotional-type, but this has truly been a miracle. I will try to post pics sometime this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I don't know if anyone's still watching this board. Here are the before-and-after pics from my straightening. The straight ones are without flat ironing, just washed and blow dried. Let me know if you have any questions

DSCF2389.jpg.77d01fd3c7ee4b4dd570e53aa53e2bf8.jpg

DSCF2390.jpg.c4793eac6342b48781e951dfc231dc16.jpg

DSCF2558.jpg.a77fbc819ddfd24acae198a4f0f16b5f.jpg

DSCF2559.jpg.f7a143fa246e31bf1d147e2e7e0bd8f3.jpg

I've thought about having this done to my hair, which is very curly. But when I learned that it's not permanent...and how expensive it is....I decided to just stick with the curls. You have to keep touching up the new growth. That means that the bottom part of my hair would be straight, while the new growth would be curly...not a good look. :rolleyes: ;)

It IS permanent......for the hair that's been straightened.

You didn't really think that the new hair would start growing out straight, did you?

I have many friends that have it done and it needs to be re-done about twice a year.

If you already have straight hair it would probably be fun to try. But that's too high-maintenance for my already unruly hair. I won't even put highlights in my hair because of the maintenance. I have enough on my hands trying to smooth it!:p :D

I think you've missed all the points.

First off, if you already have straight hair, there's no need to do it.

High maintenance? No. People do it because it's easy maintenance. Most of them don't have to worry about blowing their hair very much or having it frizz up in humid weather. It makes unruly hair easy to deal with.

Sorry for the delay, I don't know if anyone's still watching this board. Here are the before-and-after pics from my straightening. The straight ones are without flat ironing, just washed and blow dried. Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks for your post.

Enjoy your gorgeous new hair!

Jane

The best conditoner is CREDE. Comes in a yellow jar and is from Japan. About $30. a jar and specifically made for hair that's gone through the straightening process.

I don't straighten my hair but my stylist recommended it for me anyway and it's the best conditioner around.

I buy it at my salon, but I've seen it on some internet sites.

Archived