My wife almost died...That's why we cruise every year!

manmtnmike

I love this thread! My mom and dad planned for most of 25 yrs to go to Hawaii for their anniversary. They almost didn't make it due to her cancer, but had a wonderful time, in spite of the fractured hip she came home with after a fall by the pool on the last night. She had a hip replacement and seemed to be doing well with that and had a short cancer remission. Sadly, she died 8 mos ofter they got home from Hawaii.

DH and I took two big trips in the 80s--to Spain in '84 (chaperoning HS students) and Hawaii in '87 for our 20th anniv.

Our three big trips in the 90s were with the camper, including the Chicago World Cup and the Atlanta Olympics (truly trips of a lifetime). Also a trip to Boston/Gloucester in '98 in conjunction with a wedding in Springfield MA. We've had other land trips over the years.

In Nov. '01 DH suggested another big trip for our 35th. We chose cruising and are hooked forever. We are doing Aust/NZ in Jan., our 8th cruise and farthest away, because we are not getting any younger (66 and 63), are still ambulatory and DH still has his eyesight. His glaucoma is under control, but who knows how long that will last? We spend almost every weekend at our second home and plan to move there next year. Paring down expenses to one property will give us more $$$ for cruising!! :D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 RCI Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 nights in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ + extra days in Syd. and AKL

Now growing up my grandfather made a point in taking us on vactions through out the years. One of my favorite child hood memories is going to the Smokey Mtns. with 50 something family members. My Great-Grandmother had an eye transplant and could see for the first time in 30 years. She wanted to see the fall leaves. We all loaded up and went. I rode between the bucket seats of the van on a stack of luggage. My cousin and I slept on a pool air mattress in the bath tube. I wouldn't take anything for those memories. Or the time that we rode in the back of a truck from Alabama to Washington D.C. Now those were the days!

As a kid I alway dreamed of the far off places I wanted to go. At 10 I asked my dad, if I graduate High School would he send me on a cruise. He laughed and said yeah sure. So I did it. When I reminded him of it, he made of joke of it and that was all that said about it. 6 years later, I got sick and came close to death. I was down for a year. Once everything was getting back to normal, he came to me and told me to book my trip. That was in June of 1998. I went on my first cruise in August of that year. Since then I never looked back. I have been lucky enough to have gone to all the places I use to dream about. Some more than once. I am now on my if it happens that would be great list of places.

I tried for years to get my dad to really travel. To understand there is more to vacation that the Smokies and the Gulf Coast. It was only after the death of a good friend that he was hit with the time is short thought. He started really traveling June of 2005. Since then he has cruised 9 times and has 3 booked. He and my mother took that "out west" trip they had always talked about. He even paid for the 16 of us kids and grandkids to do a Disney cruise last year. I just say that was an interesting trip and he says never again!

My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones and those who have experienced serious illnesses.

We haven't actually cruised....yet. We leave in 2 weeks for our first. We didn't set out to take a cruise. We just happened to discover that it would cost less than a road trip we were planning, so we decided to try it.

Since then I have discovered (through these boards) how many people are endeared to cruising. I had no idea. I have learned so much through these boards, and this thread is no different.

We are recent empty nesters (last child married in July 07). I guess this is "our time" (and so far, I'm liking it!) We married young and had a baby a year later, so have never really had much couple time. A year ago an 11-day road trip was our first real "couple" trip in 32 years.

If we like cruising (and after reading these boards, I don't see how we won't!), we are planning to cruise next summer to Alaska - with my parents joining us.

• 5 weeks later...

Almost the same for me except it was me on that almost died. In 2001 I had a brain tumor. I have had 13 operations since and I finally finished. I had my last rights given and my family told I might not make it. Now, I am fine and my husband & son are traveling with me. Even if I dont have the money I still find a way to go! You only live ONCE! p.s. I figured it just a little less my only son with inherit LOL.......Happy sailing!

Almost the same for me except it was me on that almost died. In 2001 I had a brain tumor. I have had 13 operations since and I finally finished. I had my last rights given and my family told I might not make it. Now, I am fine and my husband & son are traveling with me. Even if I dont have the money I still find a way to go! You only live ONCE! p.s. I figured it just a little less my only son with inherit LOL.......Happy sailing!

Right on! Keep it up and enjoy your cruising! Wishing you good health.

Kathy:)

I've been really lucky, that I have travelled most of my life.

Mom is a travel agent, and as such, she was able to get us some really extraordinary deals while I was growing up - things like cruising for the cost of port charges, things like that. We travelled as a family while I was growing up - to Disney, on cruises... I took my first cruise when I was 13 years old. Then when I graduated high school, Mom and I used to cruise, just the two of us. I have some great memories of those trips.

My aunt, uncle and cousins loved to cruise both with us an on their own. When my uncle was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and given just 4 months to live, he outlived all the odds and made it 16 months. My aunt and uncle travelled all through that. We had booked a cruise as a family for December of 2001, but my uncle never made it - he went into a coma the day after thanksgiving and never really woke up.

We went on the cruise anyway. My uncle's motto was to live life to the fullest - to stop and smell the flowers.. and that life is not about the destination, but the journey it takes you on. And while we cruised without him physically by our side, we felt his presence.

Now DH and I cruise and vacation regularly. We have 2 planned for next year already, and will do more if finances permit. We are no longer home owners (sold our house while the getting was good...) - but we vacation, and right now, while we do not have children, it's a priority for us.

But still - my cruises with mom are the ones that I close my eyes and still remember. Mom and Dad will be on the cruise with us in May. So will my aunt and the kids. I can't wait.

God Bless your family. I cruise because my mom told me to do it why I was young and could. now that is is going I do it for her and myself, plus my DH loves to cruise. It think my mom passed her love of travel off to my husband. Our first cruise together was after my mom passed away and my DH first vacation in 10 years. Now he get the Carnival book to say let's go there.

I loved reading these messages! My heart goes to all those who lost loved ones and "an unfinished life". Our first cruise was scheduled for last year on May 12 to Alaska. On May 11 took dog to kennel, went to take itinerary to sister and brother inlaw and he had been taken to hospital where they found brain cancer. Thankfully we had cruise insurance as Dr. said we shouldn't leave. It was my hubby's brother. He did pass away and we never regretted not being here. However we are rebooked for a cruise and looking forward to it! Take those moments and enjoy life! We have taken vacations with our children through the years and enjoyed those times so much. What is that saying-Life happens while you are busy making other plans!

My wife almost died 2 years ago from a bleeding ulcer that we did not know she had. This happened 1week before thanksgiving, she took 7 bags of blood to bring her back to normal. She is only 5ft 1 in tall and 110lbs,and 47. So now we try to go on a cruise every year for our anniversary in Jan. This year were going to the Caribbean, the last 2 time we did Mexico..

Interesting question, but one I can answer easily.

A) I've always wanted to see *as much* of the world as I can. And cruising will give me that opportunity. My first cruise in April will be that opportunity.

B) 2007 was and still is a hell of a year for me. Starting Jan 1, I found out that I had a female problem that would require major surgery. That opened up more problems once surgery was over. I took a trip to Disney in August as a mid-year, "I'm sick of this" trip just to relax. It was also right before I started my current round of treatments for my condition, which are seriously messing with my body, emotions etc.

Come my cruise in April, I will hopefully either a) be done my current round of treatment or b)be half way through it. The cruise will either be a celebration of it being done or surviving 6 months of the treatment. Also, I'm kind of hoping I'll be able to celebrate getting a new job. ;) But I won't know about that until late Feb at the earliest.

I've already posted in this thread to say how we cruise so much because I nearly lost my DH, but this post isn't so much about me.

My SIL had breast cancer a couple of years ago, which was treated but came back, and then was treated again successfully, and she was a brick through it all. Having beaten that, imagine our shock, when she collapsed with heart failure a week gone Saturday, she currently has no brain activity and has been given, no positive outlook whatsoever, it's just a matter of time. She is 46years old, and has a 22 year old DD who is getting married next year, and also a 24 year old son.

Life is so unpredictable, you have to take what you can, while you can. You never know how long you have it for.

I've already posted in this thread to say how we cruise so much because I nearly lost my DH, but this post isn't so much about me.

My SIL had breast cancer a couple of years ago, which was treated but came back, and then was treated again successfully, and she was a brick through it all. Having beaten that, imagine our shock, when she collapsed with heart failure a week gone Saturday, she currently has no brain activity and has been given, no positive outlook whatsoever, it's just a matter of time. She is 46years old, and has a 22 year old DD who is getting married next year, and also a 24 year old son.

Life is so unpredictable, you have to take what you can, while you can. You never know how long you have it for.

Sending prayers for your family in this difficult time.

This is a wonderful post and has really made an impression on me...

Hubby and i met on a deep sea fishing trip so when our honeymoon (1st Anniversary) came up he said how about a BIG boat. That was our first cruise. We both had tough childhoods that made us appreciate life and I have always loved to travel. So with cruise 22 coming up for hubby and me I couldn't ask for more. My FIL who was like a Dad to me died almost a month ago and it tears us both up. He would not cruise with us until finally in 2004 he got married again and agreed to cruise with us for his honeymoon (he had a hard time getting around and didnt' want a wheelchair). That was the only vacation I had with him and the only one in 26 years my hubby had had with him and we will charish it always. I miss him so much. Although I do believe it is very important to save for a rainy day and for retirement I also believe there should be a balance as life is so undetermined.

For the one who asked how to get a reluctant - has to save for retirement person to want to vacation more, I can tell you how I got hubby more hooked (money was real tight when we were younger and cruising was a lot more expensive). I would first ask him while he was at work - much more likely to want to go than when relaxed at home. Also I would put on a cruise video we took on a previous cruise - not a video from the cruiseline - and he would see the water and look at me and say when are we leaving?? haha It works! Now he is addicted as I am.

I didn't know where I got my love of travel from but my Dad said he loved it but was worried that if he started traveling he wouldn't be able to afford it and would still want to go and be unhappy so he didn't travel...... ????:confused: :eek: Now he is traveling all over with my Mom and I wish them well....

Debbie

Memories are the best reason to cruise. My husband was killed in a car wreck last year. The memories of times spent on cruise vacations are priceless. Our first cruise was on our honeymoon back in 1968 - three days in rough seas. It's a wonder we ever got on another ship! But we did , then started taking our girls with us, along with extended family. He took our girls on cruises to Alaska and Northern Europe while I stayed home taking care of things. Later, when girls were in college we went on longer transatlantics and repositioning cruises. It was about the only time we could relax together. The first laughter I heard from my girls after their Dad's death was when they were going through pictures, and started talking about their adventures shared with him.

• 5 months later...
Hi ...Sobering stories that make us value each day and the blessings we have!

Mike

Anyone else?

Just watching the news everynight and hearing how many young men and women are dying for our freedom should help us value our lives more and more with each passing day.

I love this thread! Thank you for starting it, its like Chicken Soup for the Cruiser's Soul ;)

My dad died of kidney failure when he was only 39 and I was 5 years old at the time. My mom worked 7 days a week to support us. In the past few years I have been able to finally earn a decent living, and am taking my mom on her third cruise this May. The joy on her face when I take her cruising is priceless. It might not take away the pain of her past and losing her husband at such a young age, but as everyone has posted, life is TOO short. Do what makes you happy.

Happy cruising everyone!

This is a wonderful thread.

11 years ago my husband died after a short bout with cancer and I realized I had never been anywhere and neither had he .. except the usual trip to Hawaii and some touring in the US. When I remarried a couple years later, we cruised on our Honeymoon and have never even considered any other kind of vacation. My favorite story is getting home from a Med cruise and having my husband say, Ok if you can find me a trip to the Pyramids on a cruise ship.. I will go again .. took me almost 20 minutes to find and book it!! Since then we have been to the Baltics and Asia etc. It is a fabulous way to see the world.

We always do a web site as we cruise so that the rest of the family can virtually cruise with us .. and I have made believers out of my adult children who love cruisng too.

Been lurking, had to answer this question.

My father planned to travel when he retired at 55. He didn't make it. He died when he was 54. At least I have memories of our vacations, mostly camping.

In 2 years my DH and I will be 55 and I don't want to wait until retirement that may not come. Besides, according to my Mom :rolleyes:, I'll fall apart when I turn 65-70 so I want to do things now while I'm able.

My wife and I have only just found cruising in the last couple of years. Eight years ago she ended up in a comma for 3 months and went through some very serious rehabilitation after that. It is kind of funny because even though she is 15 years older than I am, I have always been the one with the heart trouble and we both assumed it would be to go first. It took such a terrible time to wake us up to the fact that in our minds, there is no tomorrow. So even though I still have to work to keep paying the bills, we are trying desperately to build the memories that others have mentioned. Our upcoming cruise in September will only be our second cruise, but since my wifes illness, we have lived life to the fullest in other ways. And will continue to do so. With cruising being a part of that.

Shawn

Wonderful thread - sobering and uplifting at the same time.

I've always wanted to cruise, but believed it to be the preserve of the rich. Then, two years ago, I was diagnosed with a serious Choridal Melanoma (eye cancer, basically), and my right eye was removed. I was very lucky, the tumour came with it, and all scans and blood tests since have been clear.

Up to then, our standard family holiday has always been a week in a self catering apartment, usually in Ireland, once in the Isle of Man. I've always promised the children (14 and 15) we'd do something "special".

I started looking at the internet for ideas for 2008, thinking after the shock of 2006 that the special time was upon us. I noticed a cruise advert on a travel site, started researching, and two months from today, we leave Barcelona on Navigator of the Seas.

Of course, my research opened my eyes to the possibilities, so when I saw an excellent price on Carnival for the Baltic Sea next year, I couldn't let it go. Now, I'm thinking Caribbean for our 20th anniversary in 2011, Alaska for my 50th in 2014, her 50th in 2015 and something really special for our 25th in 2016 - Transatlantic on QM2.

So, basically, I've beaten cancer (so far), but developed a new addiction:)

I don't think I'll go looking for help just yet though.....

I always say that we're storing up memories. Those are either for both of us to enjoy after we're too old to get up and go somewhere or for the one who's left after one of us is gone. Nothing's going to help me much if I'm the one who's left, but memories of my DH on all these cruises throughout the years will be better than nothing. How many wonderful memories can each of you think of from a past cruise many years ago? And how many memories do you have of the time you spent at home and in your day-to-day life during that same year? The really good stuff sticks!

My mom and dad were two of the most amazing people I'd ever known. They raised 4 kids, through some really tough times, and always went above and beyond to do family vacations. There wasn't a lot of money, but all 4 of us can remember those family vacations so vividly. They weren't to fancy places like Disney, but mostly family camping trips in a beat up old car and a canvas tent. But boy did we have wonderful times!

After the kids were grown and gone, retirement came and their love of traveling continued, with one exception. My dad loved cruising and it just wasn't my mom's cup of tea. She went on two, but that was more then enough for her. And dad being dad, he never pushed even tho to him, there was no vacation in the world like a cruise. Instead there were vacations in their motor home, Vegas, etc. As they aged into their mid 70's, they never slowed down, even driving cross country in their 4 WD pickup truck, with their 2 snowmobiles on the back to experience snowmobiling in Yellowstone Park.

They were blessed with great health, and were married 62 years when my mom passed away suddenly. No illness, no warning, just gone. It sounds odd to say that everyone was shocked when an 83 year old passes away but that's the only way to describe it. This was a woman who looked and acted like she was 60 and of course, my dad felt her loss more then anyone. However, being the man that he is, he didn't go into a shell, and continued to live life. And the one thing that he still talked about when discussion came up about vacations, was about how great cruises were.

The last time he said it, my brothers, our spouses, and our kids all came to the realization at the same time as to what we needed to do. And the rest is history.

We sailed this past March, almost our entire family, and of course, dad was one of them. I don't think that a smile left his face the entire time. And now I've caught the cruise bug too, so you'll notice my countdown clock at the bottom. And yes, dad's going on that one too! He is now 85 and is still doing well, but who knows how long that will last? He may be gone in a blink of an eye too, and all we will have are those memories. I intend to keep cruising and hopefully, dad will be on many more, making even more of those precious memories.

This is a great thread

I guess that I cruise to spend time with my DD (12). In the past years she has been through divorce, remarriage, death of a stepparent, moving as a result, you name it. We don't have a lot of money, but we do have a lot of love. I want to show her things and places and visit them together. We are mini-adventurers. She is the hesitant one (great loss at a young age makes you cautious, I think) and I try to expose her to new, safe travels. (We'll go off the beaten path in Jamaica, for example, but not too far, if that makes sense.) As a widowed/single parent I also enjoy the company and comraderie of cruising -- saying "hello" to complete strangers and "how'd you enjoy the show last night?" It's the sense of being among a group of like minded folks, who all love cruising and "Getting Out There" (apologies to RCI for stealing their tag line) that makes me happy. I haven't really dated since hubby #2's passing (figured I had better not tempt fate) so the re-connection with people outside of the daily school/work/school/home grind is what draws me.

... that, and the frou frou drinks of course :rolleyes: (just kidding)