Denied Boarding !

Last summer DH and I suggested that our DD and DGD go on a cruise we had planned. I even put a hold on a cabin with my TA. It was before the passport requirements went into effect, but the TA, who is on the ball, said we'd need DGD's birth certificate and notarized permission from her father. Given major custody issues with the father, they didn't go with us.

Then I had planned to take DGD to Europe for her 13th birthday this summer until we learned that until she's 14 the father will have to sign for the passport. Now it will be a 14th birthday present.

I guess what I'm saying is that the TA bears a lot of responsibility in not asking questions or letting OP know what was needed.

Thank goodness it got worked out, and those of us who've read this learned a lesson. Before August 2008 when I take DGD to Europe I'll make sure we have all the documents we need.

Well then, just off the Mariner with DD friend who is 14 and no-one blinked an eye at her passport or asked who we were or asked to see the permission papers I had avail. Even on excursions or the rockclimbing wall. Thought that was interesting. She did have to have a seperate customs form because of her last name.
Well, I guess like a lot of things on RCI, enforcement is hit/miss.

You DO NOT need both parent's signatures when applying for a passport for any child age 14-17, per the official Department of State website. If they are UNDER 14, then it is required. I just applied for my daughters passport a few months ago, and she is 14 years, 7 months of age. No ex husbands signature required! However, I will bring a notarized letter with me on the cruise "just in case" the same situation occurs as with the OP. However, we all have the same last name, so I am hoping there is not problem! :o

You only need both parent's signatures to get a passport if you have joint custody. In my case I have sole custody and only my signature was required.

I have a joint custody agreement and twice I was able to obtain passports for my son on my signature alone.

My son left on sunday for a weeklong cruise w/ friends .I printed out a form from the cruisediva website that gave my friends permission to take him out of the country and for them to be able to authorize medical treatment for him if needed. I had it notarized. I ope that helps.

When we sail on Mariner in June, our daughter's friend will be traveling with us. She will be 17, and has a passport. I believe her parents were planning on drafting up a letter allowing permission for her to travel with us. Should that letter be notarized, and also should she bring a birth certificate as well?

I'm sorry you had so much trouble boarding. How was your cruise??

FYI - Just returned from the Mariner and we had my daughter's friend traveling with us. She was 17yo, of course with a different last name, passport in hand and a "notarized permission to be with us letter" available in my purse. No one between the airlines, cruise officials or custom/immigration ever blinked an eye or asked her one single question during emabarkation or disembarkation. Just looked at her passport and handed her boarding docs and room key.

I guess it all depends which line you get in.....

I should have read this post before posting myself. Sounds exactly like our upcoming situation. I'll be sure to have a notarized letter just in case!

In order to prevent any problems I obtained a certified copy of my court ordered custoy with a raised seal from the clerk of the court. Since I have sole legal and physical custody of my son I do not need any other documents from my ex-husband granting permission. Likewise, when we apply for his passport I will not need a signature even though he is under 14.

If the surviving parent is taking the child out of the country it would be wise to take a certified copy of the death certificate.

We had this thread ad nauseum this December and I made many postings since I am divorced and my wife was able to take our kids by herself on the Explorer last summer to Bermuda, no documentation necessary. (We all have the same last names and joint custody.) Everyone that participated in the debate scoured the RCCL website and could find no policy that said you needed a notarized letter. Where are you finding that requirement and can you paste it in a reply? I called RCCL in December and asked since I was taking my kids on the Mariner by myself and I was told no letter was needed. The cruise docs we received just stated that minors had to board with an adult, it doesn't even state parent. Anyone could have taken my kids on. When we arrived at Port Canaveral we found it exactly like one of the above postings mentioned, there was not one question as to whose kids these were and if they had permission from both parents or anything. Sounds like we have either different ships with different policies or different employees with different policies. What is going on here?

We had this thread ad nauseum this December and I made many postings since I am divorced and my wife was able to take our kids by herself on the Explorer last summer to Bermuda, no documentation necessary. (We all have the same last names and joint custody.) Everyone that participated in the debate scoured the RCCL website and could find no policy that said you needed a notarized letter. Where are you finding that requirement and can you paste it in a reply? I called RCCL in December and asked since I was taking my kids on the Mariner by myself and I was told no letter was needed. The cruise docs we received just stated that minors had to board with an adult, it doesn't even state parent. Anyone could have taken my kids on. When we arrived at Port Canaveral we found it exactly like one of the above postings mentioned, there was not one question as to whose kids these were and if they had permission from both parents or anything. Sounds like we have either different ships with different policies or different employees with different policies. What is going on here?

I don't think they really looked at my paperwork in 1998- and I was NOT on with a parent- but I was 16 almost 17.

All I see on RCCL website is what is below

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do;jsessionid=0000JyuBNQU5bEvXhVGR1mriT06:10ktmf1jr?cS=NAVBAR

DOMESTIC SAILINGS

MINORS NOT ACCOMPANIED BY A LEGAL GUARDIAN

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa (or certified copy of the child's birth certificate) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

INTERNATIONAL SAILINGS

Family Legal Documents

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa (or certified copy of the child's birth certificate) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

I don't have time to go through the entire thing on the State Dept's website on the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of Intercountry Child Abduction

http://www.travel.state.gov/family/family_1732.html

or Passports for minors under 14 http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_864.html

As of about two years ago both parents must sign the passport application for a minor. Otherwise you need to fill out an additional form and prove either sole custody, death or explain the circumstances. I was never married to my DD's dad. For her first passport it was ok for me to sign. It expired last year and I needed to have him sign as well. (Fortuneately not an issue.)

At about the same time airlines stopped requiring the solo parent letter. When we traveled out of the country I needed a notorized permission letter from her dad. No longer needed on airlines (my guess is is due to both parents having to sign the passport application)

On each of our five cruises I have never been asked for the permission letter. I brought it for our first trip in 2005 and the agent just looked at me kind of funny when I produced it at check in. I just make sure that her full name is on the reservation. (Her last name is hypenated with both my last name and her dad's.)

I have seen the cruiseline's regulations regarding taking someone else's children (when you are not the parent or legal guardian) when you need the permission and medical authorization letter. On our last trip (DCL) the form was in the travel documents. You just needed to fill out and have it notarized.

I could see an agent's uneasiness when a last name of the child is different. I think in that circumstance it would be a good idea to bring a copy of the birth certificate along. If the last names are the same, it shouldn't be an issue.

Remember it is not just RCCI policy to which you need to conform.

1) if you a flying to/from your port, your airline may request documentation.

2) the US State department (customs and immigration) may request documentation.

3) the countries in which you are travelling may request documentation.

4) the operators of excursions may request documentation.

5) in case of an emergency additional documentation may be required.

And no, even if the Web site says something is required, that does not mean you will necessarily be asked to show it. Similar to security screening at airports, there are formulas that they use (for example every 25th pax we do additional screening) and can request additional screening if they have any reason to believe you may present a risk. Similarly the airline, the cruise line, the immigration official may only do spot checks or check if they have any suspicions (a VERY youthful 36YO single-parent friend of mine never goes anywhere without his 14YO DD's paperwork - he's used to being looked at suspiciously!)

Moral of the story - 'be prepared'!

everyone's talking about adults traveling with people who are not their legal guardians. the OP was talking about his wifes son. obviously she's the legal guardian of her son, but since she is remarried she has a different last name.

can someone explain how her sons birth certificate proved anything since it will have her sons name on it obviously her first name but a different last name as the mother?

aka, son is bob smith, mom (was mary smith (assuming she was married at the time of birth, if not its more complicated), is now mary jones) how do you prove mary smith = mary jones who is traveling with ted jones.

what i guess my question is...is how do you prove or disprove the difference between 'i am not the legal guardian of this child who has a different last name than me' versus 'i AM the legal guardian over this child who has a different last name than me'

I don't think they really looked at my paperwork in 1998- and I was NOT on with a parent- but I was 16 almost 17.

All I see on RCCL website is what is below

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do;jsessionid=0000JyuBNQU5bEvXhVGR1mriT06:10ktmf1jr?cS=NAVBAR

DOMESTIC SAILINGS

MINORS NOT ACCOMPANIED BY A LEGAL GUARDIAN

INTERNATIONAL SAILINGS

Family Legal Documents

I don't have time to go through the entire thing on the State Dept's website on the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of Intercountry Child Abduction

http://www.travel.state.gov/family/family_1732.html

or Passports for minors under 14 http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_864.html

Yes, that was all we found on RCCL's website. Now, what sense does it make for a parent then to have to have the signature from the other parent? If any stranger can take a child onboard with a letter from one parent how can they deny boarding to a single parent? I joked that she should have just written a letter and given it to someone else to take the child onboard!!!!

I think the discussion always gets confused as well by the additional discussion of signature requirements for passports and or flying on the airlines, etc. We are only talking about RCCl"s policy and not even other cruise lines, some of which do require both parents permission. Also, remember the ship clears customs as a whole in port. For instance, I would need a letter from my wife if I was crossing the border into Mexico, but I didn't need one when the ship called on Cozumel.

I travel with my son from a previous relationship who has a different last name. I also work at a law firm that does divorce and custody, so here's the deal:

If you have SOLE CUSTODY (like me): Any time you travel, plane or ship, just bring you original stamped Judgment. With passport of couse, as it is now the law. As long as you have sole LEGAL and PHYSICAL custody, you can take your kid wherever you want, as long as you have their passport and yours.

If you have JOINT CUSTODY: It's harder. You need one of two things:

1. A NOTARIZED form from the notary authorizing travel, with the dates, destination, and notarized signature from the other parent. Don't just bring a note, it probably won't work, get the specail form from the Notary-they have them.

or

2. A court order signed and stamped by the judge authorizing travel.

FYI-this may sound sad, but if the child's other parent is deceased, some airlines and cruise lines require the certified death certificate to prove it. Otherwise anyone wanting to steal a child during a custody battle could simply say that the other parent died. SO if this is the case, you must have the certified death certificate with you. I have seen passengers turned away without them, and it is very upsetting for the child.

Hope this helps-feel free to ask if you need any other info.

In our case the second parent was deceased. Luckily RCCL took our word on it and did not ask for a death certificate. We were told that it was not an immigration issue ,but a company policy. We tried to get customs to scan his passport since my wife had to provide a boatload of evidence to get the passport. They told us the info we needed wasn't accessible on their computer.

Although this policy may be on RCCL's website I still think a travel proffessional and RCCL staff should pick this up and give us a heads-up. Luckily all ended well and we had a good cruise. In the future we will bring a birth certificate and the death certificate of his dad.

Your travel agent did not give you correct information. Everyone should take note of this and make sure you ask the right questions when you book.

As far as some people noted if you call a cruiseline you get different ansers. well thast happens in my customer service department too. I hear it all day long.

I just got my kids passports renewed. I am divorced and kids are in theory joint custody. Through the websites for the post office and passport, it said to have the form signed by the other parent. Also, if child is under 14, they have to be present when doing the passport. My post office wanted the form from the other parent.

As for travelling, I have always had the letter from the ex giving permission. I'm not sure if it's the immigration website, but the ones I looked at for travelling with a minor with 1 or no parent is pretty explicit about having the letter signed and notorized. I have had airlines ask for that. Never needed copy of the divorce decree - the letter is giving permission. I'd play it safe and get the documents it states on the websites (cruise line, airline etc.). Don't want to mess with vacation!

Just read through this whole thread and I'm about to have a heart attack! We will be sailing on the MOS in August and as of today we haven't applied for passports.

My biological daughter (haven't seen father since conception, has my maiden last name)

My biological son (I'm married to his father and he will be sailing with us)

My stepson (my husband biological child and his mother will not be sailing with us, has same last name as my husband)

I'm so confused after reading this thread. Can I get buy with a notarized letter and original birth certificates?

Whenever I see a minor with a different last name I ask the booking parent if the child's other parent is still in the picture Sometimes they are deceased, but more often than not, there is a divorce involved.

I send the client a boilerplate form for the non-custodial parent to sign approving removal of the child from the country, etc. This has always satisfied the cruiselines. Sometimes it is the grandparents or aunt and uncle, so birth certificate showing the birth parents is a moot point.

Since so many of these requirements have nothing to do with the cruiselines, it is not surprising they don't always know the answers. If I were in any other situation other then having a child with the same last name as me, I would definitely cover all of my bases. I would take everything. These boards are the greatest when it comes to all of this information.

Just read through this whole thread and I'm about to have a heart attack! We will be sailing on the MOS in August and as of today we haven't applied for passports.

My biological daughter (haven't seen father since conception, has my maiden last name)

My biological son (I'm married to his father and he will be sailing with us)

My stepson (my husband biological child and his mother will not be sailing with us, has same last name as my husband)

I'm so confused after reading this thread. Can I get buy with a notarized letter and original birth certificates?

It sounds like you're going to be applying for passports. If you look hard at the passport info for minors under 14, you will see NUMEROUS "if you can't do that, then do this" allowances for situations like your daughter.

Yes, that was all we found on RCCL's website. Now, what sense does it make for a parent then to have to have the signature from the other parent? If any stranger can take a child onboard with a letter from one parent how can they deny boarding to a single parent? I joked that she should have just written a letter and given it to someone else to take the child onboard!!!!

I think that, legality and/or who exactly is requiring these things aside, having PROOF is just being prudent.

In the last year, I read about a woman who took her daughter on a trip to the woman's home country. Sounds innocent and nice. Except that she and her husband were in the middle of a nasty divorce, the court wouldn't have approved the trip, and actually it was judged that the FATHER had sole custody. The woman had NO legal right to take her daughter out of the country, and in fact it was NOT just a visit, but fleeing the States to go "home". A tiny bit like "Not Without My Daughter", only male/female roles reversed (and I don't know what country the woman was going to, but I don't think it was Iran like in that movie).

It's THAT situation that no one wants. No, it doesn't seem that they always check. In the case above, I actually think the airline got in big trouble for not asking to see permission. But that's an airline.

It's just prudence. I'm not a fan of being in trouble. To me, being the one-in-a-thousand who is asked for proof that my son is my son, is getting into trouble. It's not helped by the fact that I easily blush, I stammer, and I can never seem to explain myself well when I'm nervous.

I have my own last name, DH has his (though he's thinking of changing to mine for his own reasons), and DS is hyphenated. To strangers with good eyes, and to our good friends, DS looks like DH. To those who are going by surface looks, he's a Mini Me. Even once we get DS's passport (ugh why haven't we yet?) we'll likely be PRUDENT and carry a b.c. with us, to prove beyond a doubt that he is both of ours. Should DH ever change his last name, he'll carry proof of that name change, for the papertrail showing that the R.W. on our son's b.c. is now R.B. legally (we likely wouldn't change DS's hyphen, b/c his grandfather was good in THAT role, if not good in his fathering role (the reason for the possible name-change)), so that the hyphenated name makes sense.

Will it ever be looked at? Who knows! If we're ever asked for proof, will having it be worth YEARS of carrying it? Oh yes.

When DS was tiny, I was trying on a blouse. DH was standing outside the women's dressing room, holding diaper bag, babysling, baby, and my purse (nice guy). A woman came up to him, looked them up and down, and stated "it looks as though you STOLE that baby", and walked away while giving him the stink-eye. It made DH paranoid for a year. That next year, he and DS were in the apartment complex playground while I made dinner. The playground is ringed by balcony apartments. He heard a woman on a 2nd floor balcony talking to who DH can only assume was a police officer. She was stating that there was a man with black hair and dark skin, and there were no "matching" children, only a small red-headed boy, and could they check it out (what's shocking about that assumption of hers is that our city has a huge Korean population, which DH is half, and TONS of mixed race children so it is commonplace...the only thing odd about our kid is that the Welsh quarter of DH mixed with my 100% Celtic and yielded a red-head, hazel eyed, pale-skin-that-tans, kiddo). DH heard this and he and DS came back home. He was shaken for MONTHS.

Neither of us would EVER want to be going overseas without proof that he's both of ours, b/c if random womens' opinions can rattle us (mostly DH) so badly, being questioned at a border (which would be made even more interesting b/c DS calls me by my name rather than title!) without proof would be just awful!

Sorry to write a novel, but I had many thoughts. :)

My daughter went on a cruise with myself and my husband, her step-father. We have no contact with her natural father and could not tell you where he is. It was a concern for us when boarding. However, they never said anything about it, didn't ask for a letter, didn't ask for an explination, nothing. I was shocked. Guess we got lucky.

OK, so... what if you're not divorced? I'm taking my kids on a cruise with family but my DH (their dad) is not going with us. Do I need a letter from him? All our names are the same.

Edited to add: I think I answered my own question. Here is the exact language from RCCL's website: MINORS NOT ACCOMPANIED BY A LEGAL GUARDIAN

I think the OP's issue stemmed from the fact that the names were not the same.... check-in clerk wanted confirmation that wife was the parent or Legal Guardian.

Archived