Turned down an upsell on the Pearl...

7SeasLover

We personally perfer the starboard side (we sail locally as well)... so when I heard mini-suites were available, I called. We got an upsell for $50/pp from a balcony BD to a confirmed starboard AG mini. We were happy w/the option. I'm not sure we would have ever received a call. (we are on the STAR May 19 to Alaska).

I agree w/the others... the one who turned down an upsell at 740! yikes.

We personally perfer the starboard side (we sail locally as well)... so when I heard mini-suites were available, I called. We got an upsell for $50/pp from a balcony BD to a confirmed starboard AG mini. We were happy w/the option. I'm not sure we would have ever received a call. (we are on the STAR May 19 to Alaska).

I agree w/the others... the one who turned down an upsell at 740! yikes.

It was my understanding that you couldn't call for upsells. You have to wait to see if they call you. Who did you call?

That's great OceanDreaming you got a great deal! Glad they finally called!

That was the LAST cruise. Still waiting for a call for Alaska. We have plenty of PH's available. As of last night, an OS, 4 AC's, an AD and 3 AE's. Looks like all the mini's are gone. I think maybe they'll try to move some of the mini customers to the PH's, freeing up the mini's for balcony passengers, etc. Or that's my theory! I wonder if they think the same way? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Was offered the A3 or A4 courtyard for $530 and $630 respectively. I turned it down again.:eek: I thought it wasn't a good deal. Again, I'm settling for my Penthouse.

I just think they need to be more generous in these upsells. Oh well. I'm still happy to be in the PH.

Was offered the A3 or A4 courtyard for $530 and $630 respectively. I turned it down again.:eek: I thought it wasn't a good deal. Again, I'm settling for my Penthouse.

I just think they need to be more generous in these upsells. Oh well. I'm still happy to be in the PH.

This was for your Alaskan cruise? Was that offer pp? It does seem awfully high. I don't think they'll get any "takers" at those prices!

You're still in AE 9670, aren't you?

This was for your Alaskan cruise? Was that offer pp? It does seem awfully high. I don't think they'll get any "takers" at those prices!

You're still in AE 9670, aren't you?

I'm not so sure that's an unsellable (is that a word?) price. I did some checking on upsell prices before our December cruise to try to get an idea of what would be a "good" upsell. Many members mentioned jumping on things like AF to A3/4 for $900+ p/p, and from AE/AD to A3/4 for $700+ p/p as really good deals. On our PoH cruise, the offer was AF to A3/4 for $700 p/p, but the cruise wasn't selling much--second week of December. And somebody must have said yes to the original offers because by the time we got the third upsell call, only the A4s were remaining--all the A3s had been snapped up at the original prices a few weeks earlier.

Now, we did get the upsell of all upsells going from AF to A4 for $300 p/p (and we already had an amazingly good senior fare on the AF). To pay the actual difference would have cost us $2,000 p/p (and that was after they lowered the A4 price online, again). (Honestly, they must have read our minds because we had agreed that we didn't want to spend the additional $250 p/p original offer to go from AF to AE, but would be willing to spend a maximum of $300 p/p to go up to the courtyard. We knew that we had no realistic expectation of it, but miracles do happen.)

I think for Alaska that they probably won't have a problem selling the suites at those rates because Alaska is so popular (and typically more expensive than some of the other itineraries).

I do wish everyone the best of luck getting upsell calls with good offers!

beachchick

We had an aft facing mini on the Sun for Alaska. Then received the upsell call for a penthouse but it was up front. They wanted $125 p/p for that but turned it down. My husband called back to ask what else was be offered and he took an aft AC for $250 pp. I think it was too much money but it the were showing at least $3000 more if paid for. So I don't know if it was wise or not but hubby wanted to surprise me.

You will probably get another call if they don't sell it.

Good luck:)

How do you even get a call. I got a AB on the Crown and it looks like 7 AA are still available and 26 days out and not one upsell call? I booked through NCL shouldn't they offer something?

[quote name='cruisencrazy']The only thing you have to have for Alaska is a balcony. After that, the cruise will be the cheapest part of your vacation. The shore excursions are where you will spend the big bucks. That's where I would put my dollars. Except for when you pivot at the glacier, you won't be spending much time in your cabin anyway. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!! In a perfect world I would live half the year in Alaska and half in Hawaii:)[/QUOTE]

Just curious...if you're only in your cabin when you're pivoting at the glacier, is a balcony a must? Couldn't you spend that day up on deck?

Our rule, designed to save money and use it on MORE TRIPS, has been no balconies for cruises of 7 days or less, and even then, the balcony must be a good deal for us to book it. But I'm thinking that rule might need to be broken for Alaska.

Archived