What is the best ship to take on a Panama Canal cruise?

Janiekins

Would like to plan a surprise Panama Canal Cruise for my husband in 2008.

What would you say is the nicest cruise line and ship to make this a special trip? I am thinking of Celebrity and if so, what ship?. Any other cruise line suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I love Celebrity, and our first cruise was a partial-transit on Galaxy. The only X ships doing the Panama canal next year are Infinity, Millennium, and Summit. There is also Quest, which is part of the Xpedition part of Celebrity (and usually much pricier, but smaller ship). Look at the itineraries and see what appeals to you.

I'll give you my two cents - not on the ship but the itinerary.

If you can,, do a full transit from the Pacific to the Atlantic. The approach to the canal pre dawn is just incredible and the full transit allows you to see the locking from many different locations on the ship.

We just returned from a partial transit on Coral Princess. We loved it! I have great pictures from our balcony and my husband took lots of photos from other locations. You can see them by clicking on the link in my signature.

It sounds like all are good bets as the Panama Canal is just an awesome experience. I have clients that got back last weekend from doing the 14 day Ft Lauderdale to LA full canal cruise on the Infinity. They had a blast; I have other clients that did NCLs Sun last spring, from Miami all the way up to Seattle: best cruise they have done: we did HAL, the Amsterdam a few months ago. It was unbelivable. You can see, there isn't a best in this case. NMnita

I took my grandson on a full transit from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco a couple years ago. It was great very educational for my GS. He turned 18 on the ship. This was for his birthday and a graduation present. Also I had a uncle that worked on the canal when he was 18. It was one f my favorite cruises.

Delores

We did a full transit canal cruise, October 2005 on RCCL's Serenade of the

Seas, San Diego to San Juan. Loved it so much, we're doing it in reverse,

in April 2008 on the same ship, San Juan to San Francisco. We got a balcony on the hump then and got another hump balcony for the 2008 cruise. Loved the views. You woudn't go wrong on a Radiance-class

ship from RCCL.

Enjoy,

Barb & Jim

I wholeheartedly agree with the Serenade of the Seas. I left out of San Diego for a thirteen day cruise to San Juan. The ship was fabulous and the ports were outstanding. I wish I was on this ship right now.;)

Have done the full transit 3 times and I agree with Nita, there is no best! The Canal cruise is wonderful! Our last was with Celebrity (Mercury) and we had an educational guide aboard, it was wonderful! Have a great cruise! :)

My wife and I are at a point in our life where a full transit is just not possible - is it worth it to go on a half transit 10 day - on maybe the Coral Princess?

Yes, the 1/2 canal is also a wonderful experience. You get to see the canal, Costa Rico plus some other great ports. WE did this on HAL last November. We left out of Ft Lauderdale, ports were Aruba, Cucasao, Panama, Costa Rico, and ? my mind is blank, but there was at least one more port. There was an educational guide on board who made our experience even better. If you can not do the complete transit certainly look into the partial. We choose HAL because it was more convenient. We had intended on doing Princess until we looked into the air to Mexico, it just didn't seem worth it. NMnita

Hi, back to the original question - you asked for the "nicest" ship. I would be remiss not to advise you of Regent. Her ships do the Canal and they are wonderful. They are more expensive than those already mentioned but are true luxury. We did Regent Mariner 2 years ago and just loved it.

Also Crystal does the Canal and it is a wonderful line as well.

NJBelle

Archived