Visa for Turkey?

Hi Patrick -

We are sailing on the Emerald Princess in May. We also visit Turkey. Looking at the Dept of State website, I noticed that a visa is needed for Turkey. I wanted to get this set up ahead of time so I researched it.

If you will be visiting Turkey from a ship AND will not fly into or out of Turkey AND you are not staying in a hotel in Turkey, then you do NOT need a visa.

If you are flying in/out of Turkey or staying there in a hotel, you will. Here's the info:

Visas can be obtained at Turkish border crossing points for tourist/business visits of up to 3 months or through a Turkish consular office in the U.S. Visa requires a completed application form and a passport with a minimum validity of 3 months. Visa fee is $20 for single entry and $65 for multiple entry (cash or money order only). Visa must be obtained in advance for longer stays and for study, research, or employment purposes. Visa requires your valid passport, 1 completed application form, and SASE. For further information, contact the Consular Office of the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey, 2525 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20008 (202/612-6740/41) or nearest Consulate: CA (323/937-0118), IL (312/263-0644), NY (212/949-0160), or TX (713/622-5849). Internet: www.turkishembassy.org

You do NOT need a visa for Greece unless you're staying longer than 90 days.

Hope this helps! Have a great cruise!

-- Jennifer

Hi

I just got the VISA for Turkey through e-VISA on the Turkish Embassy web site. I filled out the application on line, gave them my credit card number for the $29.00 fee, signed it and then sent the passport fed ex with a fed-x return envelope to the Turkish Embassy that handled my state. For me it was LA since we live in California. It came back in 1 1/2 weeks no problem. I am arriving by cruise ship but staying a few days after and flying out of Istanbul so I needed a VISA. It was easy.

Good luck

I've read that cruise passengers departing Istanbul can buy their Visa when they land at the airport for $26.00 US cash (new fee), before exiting the airport through passport control. It is not necessary to obtain it before landing. Does someone have different information?

If you visit to Turkey is as a port of call then you do not require a visa however if your cruise starts or ends in Turkey then you will require a visa which you can get at the Port or Airport in the form of a sticker that is stuck in your passport

They will not mail you a stamp. You will have to submit your passport to a Turkish Embassy in the US. If you are flying into Turkey it really is a simple process......wait on the "visa" line, pay $20 US, enter the passport control line with your stamped passport, get your luggage. The visa line took 10 minutes at Ataturk airport. They are very efficient and all they want is your $20!

Marty

This subject has been covered too many times to count.

You do NOT need a Turkish visa if:

You are visiting a Turkish city on a 1-day port of call.

You have a 1-2 day visit as a port of call.

You are flying into Turkey & boarding the ship the same day.

You are flying out of Turkey on the same day as you disembark the ship.

YOU DO need a Turkish visa if:

You are extending your time either before or after your cruise in a Turkish hotel.

If you are flying into Istanbul it is a breeze to purchase the stamp at the airport. Much less expensive than sending in your passport before your departure.

For those of us ending our cruise in Istanbul and staying a few days is it possible to get a visa when we get off the ship? How or where do we do it?

I would like to avoid sending my passport anywhere.

Thanks

I personally have never disembarked in Turkey; & I don't recall seeing facilities for purchasing your visa stamp at the pier. But according to the message boards on Tripadvisor.com, the local expert ("LemonLady") advises that you can get the stamp at the port. She also states that this can be arranged through the ship. The price for single entry would be $20 USD. This makes sense considering that a cruise ship port is a "port of entry" just like an airport would be.

We disembarked in Turkey last October and stayed one night post cruise. You do need a Visa in this case, and you can't get them at the port, because the customs agent comes on board and clears the ship before you get off. Royal Caribbean did not have this information for us until about a month before our cruise, so had to overnight mail to Turkey consulate.:confused: They did end up offering the Visas on the ship for those that hadn't done so ahead of time. If you are disembarking in Turkey and the cruise line doesn't have the information for you I would get your Visa ahead if you have time.

Archived