It's a good day ...

Linerguy

Received my documents and luggage tags for the July 1st sailing; can't believe that, after almost two years of being booked, it's almost here.

We're spending one night before the sailing and two nights afterwards in NYC ... can't wait.

Russ

That's great! I will have to call my TA tomorrow to see if mine came in.

See you aboard.

Helane [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

40+ Cruises
QM2 7/1/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Linerguy:
Received my documents and luggage tags for the July 1st sailing; can't believe that, after almost two years of being booked, it's almost here.

We're spending one night before the sailing and two nights afterwards in NYC ... can't wait.

Russ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats Russ! I'm green with envy. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I'll be back up in NY for a VOYAGER OF THE SEAS repositioning cruise to Miami in October. Not quite QM2, but a close second in my book.

Ernie

Hey Russ

Just think, you're alomost there!
OH WHAT A FEELIN! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Do me a favor??

Give her hull a 'pat' for me? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

16 - HAL
10 - Cunard
4 - Home Lines
2 - NCL
2 - Royal Viking Line

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

I watched the Discovery show again last night just to add to my anticipation ... silly I know.

Thanks guys. Oh, and Vic, I'll be more than happy to give her a "pat" for you.

Russ

I wrote a review that is in the review queue due to some language I wrote (probably of the rude passengers as I went over it and figured this must be it - I never had any trouble posting anything else before).

Any way, by the time you sail all the kinks should be worked out, they mostly are now. My only complaint was the food (but I am fussy) and some of the passengers. These were like no passengers that I have ever encountered on any cruise ship. I really got mad when some passengers compared these rude people to Carnival passengers. I sailed on Carnival to Canada and found everyone just fine; in addition, Carnival would never have tolerated the bad behavior displayed by some.

Are you going back to the South Seaport Museum? I was in Washington DC last week and at the Smithsonian viewed a replica of the Leviathan. There was a great ship exhibit.

Jeanne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eroller:
[B]I'll be back up in NY for a VOYAGER OF THE SEAS repositioning cruise[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
IIRC you haven't been on VOYAGER since the inaugural - I'll be very interested to hear your impressions then.

I think the experience was "un-cheapened" for inaugural pax, from the descriptions you've given.

My wild guess is that VOYAGER will not be as close a second as as she presently is, though I can't be sure of that of course not having been on QM2 yet.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Host Doug:

My wild guess is that VOYAGER will not be as close a second as as she presently is, though I can't be sure of that of course not having been on QM2 yet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,
When I said close second I was speaking strictly from a design perspective, not the overall experience. I still think the Voyager Class ships are probably the best designed and most innovative ships sailing today, next to QM2. In some ways they are even more innovative purely from a design perspective. I think my brother might have actually been slightly more impressed by VOYAGER over QM2, but taking into account everything else that QM2 is all about it's hard to compare them.

I know the onboard atmosphere and experience is not going to compare to QM2 (but then again neither is the price!), but I love the Voyager Class ships and I know I will have a great time. Remember, you are talking to a person that likes Carnival! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] After all the ships I've sailed and visited, nothing has impressed me more than VOYAGER except QM2.

Ernie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eroller:
[B]When I said close second I was speaking strictly from a design perspective, not the overall experience.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK, I see where you're going now. You know I'm a staunch defender of the VOYAGER-class among ship nuts so I can't disagree with you. Design wise they're fantastic, if not exactly my taste. The overall experience at least as of two years ago left something to be desired...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[B]I know the onboard atmosphere and experience is not going to compare to QM2 (but then again neither is the price!)[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You must be getting a very good buy on VOYAGER - in my anecdotal experience they actually almost cost as much as QM2!

Anyhow I'm sure you'll have a great time - it's hard to have a bad cruise after all - and I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Doug Newman

Jeanne - Sorry for the slow reply. Although we've been to the Seaport a dozen times, we will probably go again as my Father in-law has never been to NYC.

Here's wishing you a festive Bon Voyage!

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Host Doug:

You must be getting a very good buy on VOYAGER - in my anecdotal experience they actually almost cost as much as QM2!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,
As this is a repositioning cruise for VOYAGER, there are a lot of days at sea and the price is quite reasonable. Most don't like the days at sea but I love them.

Both my QM2 and VOYAGER cruise are 8-days, both are in a standard balcony cabin, but the VOYAGER cruise is costing just over half of what the QM2 cruise cost for two people. Now I expect Cunard be more expensive than RCI, but I also think this sailing on VOYAGER is a good deal for a great ship.

Ernie

[B]As this is a repositioning cruise for VOYAGER, there are a lot of days at sea and the price is quite reasonable.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK... Repositioning itinerary explains the good price then.

Normally I think VOYAGER would be a lot more than half the price of QM2. In your case they'd have to screw up the onboard experience pretty badly for you not to have gotten a good value for money.

And yes, the ship herself IS great.

Doug Newman

Archived