Cruise 48, our first with Oceania

RnD

We have been on a number of cruises and have taken everything from Carnival to Seadream. Every time we consider doing a land vacation we always come back to some sort of cruise even thoough we should be carribeaned out. This January cruise is towards the high end cost wise (not too far off from Seadream). Is it worth it, and what can we expect? We really enjoy celebrity, but prefer the smaller ship experience. I guess it is more ecnomical to run 3000 plus passenger vessels, and it is difficult to find many vessels with less than 1000 passengers these days.

The pictures of the Regatta look great, and my Mom (who is 86) is real active, and I felt we al lmigh tbe bored on a real tiny ship(though SEadream was great(and way too expensive these days).

A few other questions:

Is a suit or sportsjacket needed for me, and wil th ewomen need "fancy dresses.?"

Are the passengers friendly rather than snobby? Seadream had some of that but not too much, but I have heard Seaborne even differentiates between old, and new money when the groups start to form.

There are no shore excursions listed yet, but do they tend to be good ones?

How much "nickel and diming" can we expect (You know Bahama-Moma offers every 2 seconds, and souineers around every corner. It seems most ships don't even offer juices with Lunch anymore.

Finally, what type of experience" should we be expecting nine months from now?

Thanks

If you spend some time on this board all your questions will be answered many times.

Oceania is not a Carnival or Seadream experience. It is for many of us that perfect medium sized quiet elegant(without pretense) experience.

No jacket or fancy dresses needed and no sales-pitches either.

Come and enjoy!:)

Well said, orchestrapal!!!! That about sums it up!!!! Dress is casual......no dressy clothing needed - dressy/casual is what I call it. It is a wonderful line and I'm sure that you will love it!!!!! Shhhh....keep it a secret!!!! Food is excellent, as is the service in all areas!!!!!

You will have to pay for soft drinks & bottled water in addition to the wine & mixed drinks. The alternative restaurants are fabulous & included, except for tipping. Food all over the ship is exceptionally good. Unfortunately you will hear a few annoucements over the PA system. I've sailed twice in Europe; & found their selection of excursions thorough & extensive. Prices are just about inline, for the European market at least. Smart casual dress code makes packing a dream. With a few exceptions, all the passengers have been down-to-earth, friendly & very well traveled. Regatta has just come out of a scheduled dry dock & should look magnificent.

The alternative restaurants are fabulous & included, except for tipping.

Tipping in the alternative restaurants is not additional..and is included on the recommended tipping schedule..

Jan

Thanks for the replies. We need to cruise more so we can catch up to Becky. Every time we discuss going on vacation we discuss land options, and always end up on a cruise ship. It is great for my Mom who is 86, and fit both mentally and physically, as well as generally active-she can do whatever suits her. My wife and my Mom often lie on deck reading and sunning while I explore.

In July we are taking a riverboat cruise (our first) with majestic lines from Cincinatti to St. Louis. I hope i am not tearing my hair out by weeks end. It should be very different at least, but sitting and watching the river and towns (which I was told was a great way to stay entertained) sounds a lot like watching paint dry. Oh well, at least we can look forward to our January2 sailing on the Regatta.

Peace

Archived