Kings Wharf to original Swizzle Inn

roosterhead

:confused: I too would like to know exactly where it is - is it in the shopping area of Hamilton? Would the ferry be the best way to get back to the Dockyard ?

I didn't answer the original question, since I have no idea how long the taxi would take. But I can show you where it is! It's much closer to St. Georges than to Hamilton, so I'm sure the taxi ride would be relatively long, I just don't know how long "relatively" is...

On my Bermuda Overview map, it's just off the screen in the upper right hand corner. If you click on the Swizzle Inn link under the map, it will scroll over and point out the marker.

Then you can drag the map to the right and see how far it is back to the Royal Navy Dockyard.

Unfortunately, the Google map data for Bermuda is missing at the lower zoom levels, so you can't zoom out and see the entire island on one screen. Hopefully they will fix this at some point in the future.

Theron

The original Swizzle Inn is on the other end of the island near the airport, and would take about an hour in a cab. I'm not sure of the cost, but you're probably looking at about $60. It would probably be much cheaper if you took the ferry to St George, then a cab or a bus from there (as a previous poster mentioned). If you buy a transportation pass, you can hop on and off the ferry and the bus as often as you like. Check out www.seaexpress.bm for fares, routes and schedules.

Hope this helps

:confused: I too would like to know exactly where it is - is it in the shopping area of Hamilton? Would the ferry be the best way to get back to the Dockyard ?

The origional is on the other end of the island from the Dockyard. It is close to St. George. Personaly while I really like the Swizzle Inn I would not do it from a ship docked at the Dockyard. There is a very good pub at the dockyard the Frog and Onion which I recomend.

The origional is on the other end of the island from the Dockyard. It is close to St. George. Personaly while I really like the Swizzle Inn I would not do it from a ship docked at the Dockyard. There is a very good pub at the dockyard the Frog and Onion which I recomend.

Charles is right. This is a long trip to the other end of the island. The Frog and Onion was very nice, good food and drinks and a nice atmosphere. The Swizzle Inn is more of an experience. A lot of fun and some people wouldn't dream of going to Bermuda without stopping in. However if your ship was docked in St. George then it would be more practical. If you wanted to make a day of it and had the transportation pass. You could go from the dockyard to Hamilton by ferry, explore the city then take either a bus or another ferry to St. George. You can explore the oldest part of Bermuda that is St. George, the perfume factory, the crystal caves and then top it off with the Swizzle Inn. Then depending how late it was take a bus or taxi back to Hamilton or all the way to the dockyard. If you add the other destinations to the mix then it would be worth the long ride. There is also a newer second Swizzle Inn located on South Shore road near Horseshoe Bay (which is a fabulous beach) and Gibbs lighthouse, it is considerably closer to the dockyard. :) Bermuda is roughly 20 miles long, the Swizzle Inn would be about 18 of that from the dockyard. Hope this gives you some ideas and options.

If you are in Saint George, any bus outbound (or more specifically the #'s 1, 3, 10 & 11 busses) stop at the Swizzle Inn! Our trip to Bermuda would not be complete without a Pitcher of the Potent Potion! :D

The buses are an incredible experience - they have sort of stadium seating - so sit in the back! WOW what a wild ride - hang on, it's great fun:D . Really a great way to see the country - get a bus map at the pier! We took the bus that goes thru the middle of the country, not the coastline and it went up and down hills, around tight corners - wheee!

The buses are an incredible experience - they have sort of stadium seating - so sit in the back! WOW what a wild ride - hang on, it's great fun:D . Really a great way to see the country - get a bus map at the pier! We took the bus that goes thru the middle of the country, not the coastline and it went up and down hills, around tight corners - wheee!

People should be aware that you could end up standing. I had to stand a couple of times and on many of the bus rides when I had a seat there were a bunch of people who had to stand.

Thanks for the replies!

My plan, since I think the swizzle is do-able.

Horseshoe bay beach in the morning, a couple of hours.

Then taxi to the swizzle inn. Lunch and caves.

Back to Hamilton, ferry then the dockyard.

Sound good?

Thanks for the replies!

My plan, since I think the swizzle is do-able.

Horseshoe bay beach in the morning, a couple of hours.

Then taxi to the swizzle inn. Lunch and caves.

Back to Hamilton, ferry then the dockyard.

Sound good?

Does your ship leave that day?

There is a wait at the caves. You don't get your ticket and walk right in as there is a limited amount of people that can enter at one time. The best time for the caves is in the morning.

Does your ship leave that day?

There is a wait at the caves. You don't get your ticket and walk right in as there is a limited amount of people that can enter at one time. The best time for the caves is in the morning.

I think that Charles is right. We did the caves when they opened in the morning (I think it was 9 AM). Even at that time there were 6 or 7 people and took a little over an hour to do. The ferry from the dockyard to St. George leaves early enough for you to go the caves early. Now you have time to go back to St. George, taxi up over the hill to either Tobacco Bay or St. Catherine's beach. Both are beautifull, just not a long and wide as Horseshoe Bay, but the water is shallow, ringed by coral reefs and there are facilities available. You can also rent umbrellas etc, and bring your snorkling gear. Take a bus back to the Swizzle Inn for lunch. They have excellent hamburgers, very tasty and of course the famous rum swizzles. From the Swizzle Inn you can take the bus back to Hamilton. Explore Hamilton a little bit and take the ferry back to the dockyard. Doing it in this sequence allows you to cover everything and get you back in time. When you get the transportation pass, you also get a bus and ferry schedules. So you have to pay attention to the time to make sure you get back in time, if you only have a day. If you have more time then you can be more flexible.:)

• 1 month later...

The swizzle Inn is not at all convenient to the Dockyards.

Nothing wrong with it but it's another one of those "must do's" that really are over hyped.

Let it go until you have more time than a few hours in Bermuda.

Archived