Seeking Advice From New Yorkers!!

Drew's Wife

Don't hesitate to take the subway everywhere. I am a small woman and travel with students - we've never had even a minor problem riding the subway!

Beleive it or not, one thing that I am really looking forward to is riding the subway![ That was the only thing that we did not have the time to do when in DC, and I know it will be so exciting!:) Gee, never been on a train or subway, Led a pretty sheltered existance all these years!!:o :D

I agree that Ellen's Diner is really fun. It's expensive for a diner, but it is NYC after all, and the food is good, basic diner fare. Make sure you sit on the main floor so you can see when the staff suddenly bursts into song and dance.

As for the subway, I agree that you should try it. Just be aware that DC's subway system is very clean, well-lit and much newer looking than NYC's. But it is a great way to get around and the kids will love it. As with any time you are around other people, be aware of where your purse is and keep an eye on your kids. But don't mean to scare you -- you'll be fine.

When I was just in the City, I met a wonderful lady visiting from Hawaii. Her daughter lives in Brooklyn and she visits twice a year for a month at a time and was sitting next to me a Live with Regis & Kelly on her second visit to the city. She takes the subway EVERYWHERE - was not intimidated at all.

I told her a lot of Long Islanders are afraid to take the subway, gave her lots of credit!

Eat at Wo Hop in Chinatown. It is on Mott Street. Local policemen told us about this place-YUM. We eat there every visit. Lots of food, very inexpensive. Make sure you eat at the Wo Hop down the steps from the street(I think there is a street level restaurant with the same name). Don't let the looks of this restaurant deter you. Try the pineapple chicken!

Another Wo Hop lover! I agree - go to the basement restaurant, I don't know why but the food is better down there than the upstairs restaurant. Lots of NYPD eat there !

Chinatown is great. Another great Chinatown find is Dim Sum Go Go. Dim Sum is lots of fun and their food is really good. Check out

http://menupages.com/

You can look up all restaurants. Tavern on the Green might be disappointing and way too expensive for being disappointed. Explore New York like a tourist, I still do.

I had a friend from California visit a few years ago. All she wanted to do was ride the subway. I never knew how exciting riding a subway could be for people.

If you can snag tickets for "Jersey Boys" - it's a GREAT show !!! One of the best around, but then again, any Broadway show is usually good! Enjoy your vacation !

I checked on this yesterday, and they are all sold out for the days we will be in NYC. The only seats that were available were some premium seats that the producers made available and they were at the asking price of over $400....:eek: Guess I'll check out some others:D Thanks though, sounded like it would be really good.

If you feel you must go to Tavern on the Green -- go for a drink & then eat somewhere else. Is the Boathouse in Central Park still open? There's another cute place behind the Library off 5th Ave.

Shoes -- they make walking shoes that look like shoes & feel like sneakers. You are going to do a lot of walking. Wear sneakers if you want but they are rare in NYC after dark.

"Winging it" is OK but you might miss something. I'd have some ideas about what you wanted to do & then play it by ear but you need to have a bit of a direction.

Walking from downtown to midtown w/ 2 kids in tow is probably a lot. Walk around then take them on a subway or cab ride. They will love it.

I'm probably in the minority but I hated Jersey Boys. :mad: I thought it was the most disgusting, insulting & obnoxious thing I have ever experienced. It hates religion & thinks anybody who believes in anything is an idiot. Why would you want to pay good money to sit in an audience to have people literally tell you that you are stupid for seeing their show? I would have walked out but I was somebody else's guest & she knew the cast.

We are leaning toward the play "Frost/Nixon" as I think this would be something that would really insterst my husband. ALso check out "Journeys End" which I think we both would enjoy, but it looks like it might not be playing then. Looks as though it might be closing right before we get there. :confused: Still going to check some others before I make the choice and buy the tickets, but right now it looks like if we do a play it will be our first choice. Frost/Nixon.

i've been a FDNY paramedic in NYC for over 25 years my opinion, cab around for about $40/day. Tell the cabbie drop you off at wall street, walk around wall street very historical for hubbie; get another cab...tell him to take you to Bleeker and Lafeyette (chinatown will be a couple of blocks one way, little italy a couple of blocks the other) you can walk the entire thing in an hour (leave time of course to eat:)) Jump in cab and tell cabbie to drop you off at Greenwich and west 4th ( you will be in the heart of the west village) one of the best for street festivals in the summer. Rays pizza is there:) For Soho, you are only a few blocks south from here or you can walk east on west 4th to take you into the east village. The subway is hot and nasty in the summer, take a cab you will enjoy your trekking in the city. Do not do the circle line (IMHO). Make sure when you walk from the west village to the east village ...Walk up West fourth (great shops and boutiques) and you will get a taste of the real village. The next day you should do Central Park and the museums. I agree top of the Met is awesome. While in the village, gotta go to Grays Papaya on 6th avenue near Rays pizza. For about $3 you can get two dogs and a fruit drink! great place to eat and kids will love it! This is my town:)) if you need help stop one of us in the FDNY....:))) safe travel..

i've been a FDNY paramedic in NYC for over 25 .

Thank you so much for all you do!!!:)

Rays pizza is there While in the village, gotta go to Grays Papaya on 6th avenue near Rays pizza. For about $3 you can get two dogs and a fruit drink! great place to eat and kids will love it!

These are two places that we have heard about before and want to make sure that we try them both!! I can live on these kinds of foods, nothing fancy for me! mmmm...

This is my town:)) if you need help stop one of us in the FDNY....:))) safe travel..[/quote

Thank you again, and I know we would be honored to be able to talk with any of the brave members of the FDNY!!

I didn't see "Journey's End" but I heard it's great. I hope it doesn't close before you get to New York.

Checked on "Journeys End" today and it will be closing July 1st...right before we arrive the next week..:( .. So I guess it will be "Frost/Nixon"... but I Know DH will really enjoy this play, even more so!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Getting more excited now! We purchased our tickets for the Statue of Liberty and The Empire State Building. Decided to go with the express pass and bypass the long lines. Anyone have any experience with this and if so was it worth the extra $$$:D Still thinking about doing the Bauteax Dinner cruise or The Spirit dinner cruise. If we go to the

Military base they can arrange this for us at a nice discount, so we plan to check on that next week. Have read lots of reviews on The Hotel Mela and they have all been good, so I'm feeling really good about our choice of hotel. Just haven't been able to decide on a play yet, but I'm getting updates daily from some of the places that I have subsrribed to so

hopefully we will find something that we will enjoy. It seems as though July 10th can't get here fast enough!:)

When I was at the Hotel Mela, they had the most lucious candles burning in the lobby - if you can get the name of those candles, please post them here!

I will certainly do my best to find out what kind they are and where they might be purchased!

A question for the NYC experts: Is something special going on in Manhattan the weekend of 11/3? Many hotels are completely booked. Those that aren't full have higher rates than usual.

I am enjoying reading this thread with great ideas for a visit to New York. One of my must do's is a visit to Ellis ISland... how much time should I devote to my visit there?

A question for the NYC experts: Is something special going on in Manhattan the weekend of 11/3? Many hotels are completely booked. Those that aren't full have higher rates than usual.

The New York City marathon is on November 4th.

I am enjoying reading this thread with great ideas for a visit to New York. One of my must do's is a visit to Ellis ISland... how much time should I devote to my visit there?

At least two hours to actually be on Ellis Island, maybe a little more. If it's your one time visit then you should take the time to explore and look around.

• 1 month later...

We are getting ready to leave in a few days and I have more questions!:confused:

One of the biggest things I am wondering about, is what kind of clothing should I pack for myself and DH? I haven't a clue as to what to pack. Most days here in Florida, it is shorts and t shirts unless we are going to Church or Drew is playing music. Any advice is welcome.

Also, what is really the best way to get around NYC, subway, bus, etc? I am getting really nervous about this whole thing, and even tried to talk DH into cancelling the trip!:eek: I have this horrible fear of getting lost from him on the subway or something!! Just went and bought new cell phones, and was thinking of trying to find a pair of handcuffs...:D or some kind of leash! I know this sounds really silly, but I am so really kind of scared about our trip! :o Although I am excited and looking forward to it at the same time.

WillysGandma, I still haven't forgot to check on the candles.

We are getting ready to leave in a few days and I have more questions!:confused:

One of the biggest things I am wondering about' date=' is what kind of clothing should I pack for myself and DH? I haven't a clue as to what to pack. Most days here in Florida, it is shorts and t shirts unless we are going to Church or Drew is playing music. Any advice is welcome.

Also, what is really the best way to get around NYC, subway, bus, etc? I am getting really nervous about this whole thing, and even tried to talk DH into cancelling the trip!:eek: I have this horrible fear of getting lost from him on the subway or something!! Just went and bought new cell phones, and was thinking of trying to find a pair of handcuffs...:D or some kind of leash! I know this sounds really silly, but I am so really kind of scared about our trip! :o Although I am excited and looking forward to it at the same time.

WillysGandma, I still haven't forgot to check on the candles.[/quote']

typically, handcuffs should never be a problem...heheheheh

subway is always my recommendation. and it's cheap. as for chinatown...someone recommended Wo Hop....i say go to Hop Kee...another local favorite. both places are good. i've been going to Hop Kee for 34 years. and it's also on Mott Street.

LOL! Read my signature line!

Check www.Quikbook.com and rates for the Park South Hotel. I got it that weekend for $200 per night which is a BARGAIN marathon weekend.

The ING NYC Marathon is the largest single weekend revenue generator for NYC and the weekend will be packed. Almost 40,000 runners and 2 1/2 million spectators.

Archived