Seeking Advice From New Yorkers!!

Drew's Wife

The one thing that we really wanted to spend some time and see was The Intrepid' date=' but I understand that it is going to be closed while we are there. Does anyone know the paticulars on this? DH loves anything like this!:)[/quote']

The Intrepid is in dry dock for the next several years.

My Kids, boys are 9 and 12. We've been to NYC once before for 2 days in summer of 2001. Stayed in an Embassy Suites a block away from the Twin Towers. Did some of the touristy stuff then, went up to the top of the twin towers (2 months later - boy that that date then have significance in their lives) went to the Museum of Nat Hist, walked thru Central Park, saw the Lion King. This time I want to see all the neighborhoods because it is such a diverse and amazing city. Staying downtown last time I felt we made the drive up the west end hwy (or whatever its called) 5-6 times so we saw that are pretty well. But we never did stop into Greenwich Village, Little Italy, Chinatown or Wall St areas. If I just wanted to hit those areas on foot, would that be doable? Any routes you'd recommend? Any areas in there to avoid? The circle line boat tours are sounding interesting too. Thanks for all your help.

Cruise Leprachaun - There are no areas downtown to avoid. Ages 9 and 12 are great ages to enjoy the city. They probably have more energy than you do. My suggestion is to just wing it and walk around. You won't run out of things to see and do.

Drew's Wife - If you love history then Governor's Island is a must. The grandkids might be bored though. Gov. Island can be done in two hours and then a stop at the Seaport afterwards is a great thing to do for both kids and adults.

If you want to see many different areas in a short time in NY, there are two companies that offer hop on hop off bus sightseeing tours.

They have several different tours - you can choose the one that you'd like (typically, NYC from midtown south, a Brooklyn tour, and a Harlem tour). You can get on and off the bus at different stops, all for one price.

Here are the websites:

http://www.citysightsny.com/

http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

If you like rice pudding, there is a fun restaurant near Little Italy that has tons of different flavor rice puddings. I take my grandkids there all the time, it's called Rice to Riches:

http://www.ricetoriches.com/frameset.php?content=/startpage.php

There is also a couple of great restaurants near the Hotel Mela I can recommend that we go to all the time that are great if you like Italian food.

Tony's Dinapoli is on W. 43th St. and very reasonably priced (I suggest reservations) and the food is excellent:

http://www.tonysnyc.com/

And John's Pizzeria is on 44th on the other side of Times Square. If you go, ask to sit in the big room,not hear the windows in front. The restaurant is a converted church and the bg room si beautiful (but noisy):

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm

Unfortunately, I did not get to take picture of Hotel Mela.

What are the dates you are staying? I'd love to contact the woman who gave me the tour and let her know how handy it was that I saw the hotel because she got a booking out of it.

Drew's Wife - believe it or not, New York City is not terribly packed during 4th of July week.

I don't know about that - it is ually packed the 4th of July itself for the fireworks!

My Kids, boys are 9 and 12. We've been to NYC once before for 2 days in summer of 2001. Stayed in an Embassy Suites a block away from the Twin Towers. Did some of the touristy stuff then, went up to the top of the twin towers (2 months later - boy that that date then have significance in their lives) went to the Museum of Nat Hist, walked thru Central Park, saw the Lion King. This time I want to see all the neighborhoods because it is such a diverse and amazing city. Staying downtown last time I felt we made the drive up the west end hwy (or whatever its called) 5-6 times so we saw that are pretty well. But we never did stop into Greenwich Village, Little Italy, Chinatown or Wall St areas. If I just wanted to hit those areas on foot, would that be doable? Any routes you'd recommend? Any areas in there to avoid? The circle line boat tours are sounding interesting too. Thanks for all your help.

Go to Grayline tours website and check it out. I would highly recommend the Grey Line Hop on/Hop off bus. It goes to all the areas you say you want to see. It really is an awful lot of walking to try and cover all the areas you want to. We got the two day pass and there is like 5 routes. They also do the Harbor tour. If you want to go to Liberty Island and Ellis Island that is also another option.

The Tavern On The Green' date=' have heard of that before. quote']

We think the Tavern on the Green is highly over-rated. The service is good, not excellent. The food is good, not excellent. Expensive. It's a nice setting, but not worth it to us.

Oh I totally disagree. Tavern on the Green is a historical part of Central Park. It is so ornate and beautiful. And what in New York isn't over priced and over rated? The Bocci ball area is right behind it, you can get a carriage ride that will take you into the Park, to see Strawberry Fields Memorial to John Lennon. My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Tavern on the Green and Central Park.

Lindy's, right at Times Square is a famous place for cheesecake, but they do a good reasonable dinner too. My friend wanted the cheesecake so we went and was pleasantly surprised at the dinner menu.

We stayed at the Edison Hotel right in Times Square and walked all around, as well as having the bus pass that allowed us to hop on/hop off and see a lot of the different areas.

Drew's Wife - If you love history then Governor's Island is a must. The grandkids might be bored though. Gov. Island can be done in two hours and then a stop at the Seaport afterwards is a great thing to do for both kids and adults.

No Grandchildren on this trip. That is the hardest part of living so far from family. Guess I gave the wrong idea when I talked about going shopping for them and having to get it all back here! Actually my two precious ones are in TN. and I haven't even held my newest Grandson yet.:( Hope to get up there for a few days this Summer also.

There is also a couple of great restaurants near the Hotel Mela I can recommend that we go to all the time that are great if you like Italian food.

Tony's Dinapoli is on W. 43th St. and very reasonably priced (I suggest reservations) and the food is excellent:

http://www.tonysnyc.com/

And John's Pizzeria is on 44th on the other side of Times Square. If you go, ask to sit in the big room,not hear the windows in front. The restaurant is a converted church and the bg room si beautiful (but noisy):

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm

These both sound wonderful, Drew loves Italian and I guess pizza is just about my favorite thing to eat! I plan to keep these in my little note book. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I did not get to take picture of Hotel Mela.

What are the dates you are staying? I'd love to contact the woman who gave me the tour and let her know how handy it was that I saw the hotel because she got a booking out of it.

We arrive on the 10th of July and will be there till the 14th. Not a lot of time, but we will have a full three and a half days, so hopefully we can see everything that we want to. Drew always plans our trips very carefully so that we seem to manage without being rushed. Oh, my, when I look and realize that we will be gone from home so long! I haven't been away from home for over a week siince our Honeymoon back in 2001!:D We really are a couple of homebodies, and usually only take about three day trips. By then we are both ready to be back at the "old home place". We sound like a couple of "Old People".:eek:

If you get a chance, ask for Tracy Cottle at the hotel - she is the sales manager who gave me the tour. I just e-mailed her and let her know how handy that tour was!

If you get up early one morning, you can walk down the street to the Good Morning America studio and wave in the window.

In fact, you can request tickets to be in the audience inside the studio if you go to the website.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=144752

If you get a chance, ask for Tracy Cottle at the hotel - she is the sales manager who gave me the tour. I just e-mailed her and let her know how handy that tour was!

Just wrote that down in my little book also! Will certainly try to say hello to her. I'll be sure and let her know how nice you said The Hotel Mela is and how nice the tour was.

With no grandkids then Governors Island is a must, especially if Drew likes history.

He is watching The History Channel now!:) Such a smart, intelligent man. Most people thought it was a little odd that we chose DC for our Honeymoon, but it was so wonderful. Not only was it special to him because of his career, but it just could not have been any better for people who enjoy history. I know New York will be the same, with all the historical places to visit.

Oh I totally disagree. Tavern on the Green is a historical part of Central Park. It is so ornate and beautiful. And what in New York isn't over priced and over rated? .

Part of the building may be historical but TOTG isn't. Warner Leroy re-opened the restaurant in 1976 and it is overpriced for mediocre food. Since his passing it looks like his daughter is going to lose the lease.

Not overpriced and over rated:

Trattoria d'ell Art

Becco

Katz deli

Daniel ($$$$)

Gramercy Tavern ($$$$)

Babbo ($$$$)

Gnocchi Cafe

Sala

I Coppi

Part of the building may be historical but TOTG isn't. Warner Leroy re-opened the restaurant in 1976 and it is overpriced for mediocre food. Since his passing it looks like his daughter is going to lose the lease.

Not overpriced and over rated:

Trattoria d'ell Art

Becco

Katz deli

Daniel ($$$$)

Gramercy Tavern ($$$$)

Babbo ($$$$)

Gnocchi Cafe

Sala

I Coppi

I would say the building being built in 1870 qualifies as historic. The restaurant was very popular in the 1930's. The link below tells quite a bit of HISTORY for Tavern on the Green. As a traveler, I've often heard of it from other travelers as well.

http://www.tavernonthegreen.com/history.asp?headinfo=abouttavern&subhead=history

I also have a question for New Yorkers. I am going to be in NY after my Carnival Victory cruise in Sept ( 22nd). I have several hours before my flight from LGA back to CHarleston. Is there some kind of tour that we could take? Like a driver that would show us the sights and then take us to the airport? Also should we take a cab to Manhattan to the ship? Or is there a car service or something else someone recommends?

I hope it is ok that I asked these questions, drew's wife, I was not trying to hijack your thread...just thought I would ask for help as well. THanks, Julie

I also have a question for New Yorkers. I am going to be in NY after my Carnival Victory cruise in Sept ( 22nd). I have several hours before my flight from LGA back to CHarleston. Is there some kind of tour that we could take? Like a driver that would show us the sights and then take us to the airport? Also should we take a cab to Manhattan to the ship? Or is there a car service or something else someone recommends?

I hope it is ok that I asked these questions, drew's wife, I was not trying to hijack your thread...just thought I would ask for help as well. THanks, Julie

Julie, Your not hijacking! Welcome to this thread, would love to keep it going. I figure how wonderful to find out all this information, and from people who really know, not just hearsay. I knew that the people from CC would be able to help, but I had no idea that we would have this kind of response. Any questions others ask, help me also, as there are things that I probably have not thought about to ask. Oh, and I noticed that you have a son in the Military. Give him our regards, and Thank him from us for his service to our Country!:)

If you can snag tickets for "Jersey Boys" - it's a GREAT show !!! One of the best around, but then again, any Broadway show is usually good! Enjoy your vacation !

I agree - I can also personally recommend The Drowsy Chaperone, Mamma Mia, Curtains and Wicked.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=542276

This thread (above) gives some good advice on what to do with your luggage if you have a day in New York. No taxi will take you on a tour but you can walk around yourselves or go on one of the double decker buses, then pick up your luggage and take a taxi to the airport. I usually take car service to the ship because you can get stuck in quite a bit of traffic for drop off at the pier. I use www.carmellimo.com. A taxi from LGA is also quite easy and not too expensive (New York speaking). I just checked my calendar and September 22nd is Yom Kippur. There should be less traffic than normal so exploring the city should be pleasant and getting to the airport should be fairly easy.

guess I'll add another two cents:)) Also think you should skip Tavern on the Green, but if you want great food for a good price have lunch at GOTHAM they have wonderful food. Bobbys Flays place the Mesa Grill is awesome too.

IMHO skip the circle line too.........just too...yuck. Go to the Village...street fairs are awesome in NYC in the summer. Eat local...nothing like NY pizza, bagels and anything ethnic...Museums...top of the rock awesome!! Agree about Toys R Us...Central park zoo...awesome and romantic!! Just between girls...go to a NY spa...i love Bliss. Window shop or real shop...Bloomies or the boutique shops on fifth...Most of all have a wonderful romantic anniversary. My husband is FDNY and we were married on the east side two years ago and spent two days in NY (and we are from ny lol)..we did Little Italy and Chinatown..ate cannolis and dim sum....:)) you will love our town...:):)

I'm not a native NYer, but love the city and visit very often. I take small groups of students to visit for a few days at a time - we sight see and work in a soup kitchen.

Some things I recommend-fun for me and the children(we are usually on a tight budget):

- Eat at Ellen's Diner - nothing fancy, but the live singing is fun for all.

- Staten Island Ferry - good view of Staute of Liberty-FREE.

- NYC Library-absolutely beautiful architecture inside and out. For history fans, lots of exhibitions and paintings inside-FREE. The kids love to climb on top of the lions out front for a photo.

- Visit Grand Central Station-amazing main concourse. Must do-go to the wispering corner(near the Oyster Bar). The curved architecture is such that if you face the corner and whisper - the person standing diagonally in the other corner can hear you. Kids love this. Also can be a romantic way to surprise someone with a whispered "I love you." FREE

- Visit Beveldere Castle in Central Park-spectacular view. Don't forget to go below and get a photo with the Castle in the Background. FREE

- Eat at Wo Hop in Chinatown. It is on Mott Street. Local policemen told us about this place-YUM. We eat there every visit. Lots of food, very inexpensive. Make sure you eat at the Wo Hop down the steps from the street(I think there is a street level restaurant with the same name). Don't let the looks of this restaurant deter you. Try the pineapple chicken!

- Take the subway to Brooklyn and walk back to the city over the Brooklyn Bridge. Absolutely amazing view of the city for the entire walk! Don't hesitate to take the subway everywhere. I am a small woman and travel with students - we've never had even a minor problem riding the subway!

Archived