Seeking Advice From New Yorkers!!

Drew's Wife

My husband and I are going to New York City this Summer for the first time (no cruise) just to spend a week so take in the city as we feel we need that much time to see it all. We have been checking on hotels, and it seems that from what we have been reading so many are small and outdated. We would really like to stay in Times Square, does anyone have any suggestions? My husband is very tall, so it has to be a King size, no smoking, and would like something that is fairly nice. Does anyone know anything about The Hotel Mela? Seems it is somewhat new? Says it is near Times Square, but having never been there, addresses mean nothing to us!:) Thanks for all your help. We are so excited about seeing this wonderful city!!:)

I am a TA and coincidentally did a site visit of Hotel Mela yesterday when I was in the City. It is a nice boutique hotel in Times Square in a great location on 44th St.

When I walked in the lobby, I was overcome by the wonderful fragrance of scented candles - it was delightful. I saw each of the rooms - the furnishing are wonderful, there beds are soft with 350 thread count sheets. The rooms are small as many are in NY, but the hotel is brand new - it's only been open since January and is almost sold out. The rooms were decorated to look like your own bedroom rather than a hotel room - the furnishing are dark wood and really nice looking.

There is a mini-bar in every room, small desk, ionic hair dryer, and there is free wi fi access.

They are opening a restaurant in the hotel May 23, but there are loads of restaurants in the area. Virgils BBQ is three or four doors down and the Belasco theater is right next door. The Good Morning America studios are on the corner as is the Times Square Toys r Us (you have got to go see that, even if you don't have kids!)

There are only about 8 - 10 rooms on each floor, so you aren't bombarded with people walking through the hallways at all hours.

They have a small gym and a small conference room. The gym had treadmills, bikes, an eliptical machine and some weights.

It's a wonderful hotel - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

My brother worked at the Marriott Marquis in Time Square and now works at the Crowne Plaza in Time Square. Both are lovely hotels, rooms are very comfortable, and location is perfect.

If you are going to be there this summer, you must go on a Friday evening to Tavern on the Green. Sit outside and have a predinner drink (there are lights strung all around the trees on the patio and there is live music...very romantic). They have a prefix dinner menu that is very reasonably priced (for New York restaurants). They call it a pre-theater pricefix menu, assuming people will eat earlier and then go to the theater at 8 p.m. Check out their website.

http://tavernonthegreen.com/gardens.asp?headinfo=view&subhead=gardens

2 more must do's.......TOP OF THE ROCK in rockefeller center. take the elevator to the observation deck...it is awesome. the thing is when you are on the top of the empire state building...you can't SEE the empire state building but from here you can:D

another must do is the circle line boat tour. it is a hokey boat tour that goes all around new york. takes a few hours. go on a really sunny day and sit outside (assuming you like the sun) you will get very close to the statue of liberty and all things manhattan.:)

enjoy!!!!!

Oh, Thank you all so much for the information!!:) Please keep the ideas coming! This is going to be so special for us. Kind of a pre-anniversary thing. We are actually going to go back to DC where we went on our Honeymoon, and then on over to New York City. Going to take the train from Tampa to DC then to New York, then back home to Florida. That should be a lot of fun also, as I have never been on a train. DH has us a private room on the train so that will be so nice!!;) He really is pretty wonderful!! We actually had booked a room at one hotel and then after hearing some pretty awful reviews and that some people were bitten by "bedbugs" :eek: we were really concerned. Then it dawned on me, that I could go to the folks on Cruise Critic, and ask, even though it wasn't about a cruise!

He has already check on the Circle Line tour, and of course I have been checking on the dinner cruises. More expensive, but I thought it must really be beautiful to see at night. Maybe I can talk him into that.

Will have to check out The Tavern On The Green, have heard of that before. We hope to see a play, and I have been checking online to see what might be playing then, but oh my, the prices! Even for off broadway! Oh, well, Dh, said this might be the only time we will get to go, so we might as well do it right. Thanks again for all your responses. Can hardly wait till July! Oh, and we did go ahead and book the Mela, got a wonderful deal, and they were so nice. Thanks for the information on the Mela. Sounds wonderful! Did you happen to get any pictures?

I am a TA and coincidentally did a site visit of Hotel Mela yesterday when I was in the City. It is a nice boutique hotel in Times Square in a great location on 44th St.

When I walked in the lobby, I was overcome by the wonderful fragrance of scented candles - it was delightful. I saw each of the rooms - the furnishing are wonderful, there beds are soft with 350 thread count sheets. The rooms are small as many are in NY, but the hotel is brand new - it's only been open since January and is almost sold out. The rooms were decorated to look like your own bedroom rather than a hotel room - the furnishing are dark wood and really nice looking.

There is a mini-bar in every room, small desk, ionic hair dryer, and there is free wi fi access.

They are opening a restaurant in the hotel May 23, but there are loads of restaurants in the area. Virgils BBQ is three or four doors down and the Belasco theater is right next door. The Good Morning America studios are on the corner as is the Times Square Toys r Us (you have got to go see that, even if you don't have kids!)

There are only about 8 - 10 rooms on each floor, so you aren't bombarded with people walking through the hallways at all hours.

They have a small gym and a small conference room. The gym had treadmills, bikes, an eliptical machine and some weights.

It's a wonderful hotel - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks so much for the info. We did book this hotel today. And I do have two grandchildren, A three year old and a six week old, so I HAVE to check out the Toys R Us. It must be huge! Now where will I put it all to get it back home!:D

the hotel you choose is very nice. stick with it.

do the dinner cruise, skip the circle line.

go see wicked.

skip tavern on the green. the food isn't worth the money.

eat outdoors at all small cafes for early evenings.

plan to walk - a lot, that's the beauty of the city.

if you are into museums, go online and pick out which ones you'd like to visit and plan from there.

toys r us is trs, yes the city one is bigger, but they still carry the same crap you can buy at home.

go down to chinatown and eat.

the bus tours are a good thing for tourists. You can get on and off.

it's very hot in the city in the summer. wear very breezy fabrics. if you are planning to want to walk around, get up early or do it in the early evening.

taking the train is fun. we went to washington dc by train a few years ago with our kids.

enjoy your visit.

I was born in NY. Grew up in TN & now live in NJ.

When friends & neighbors from TN used to ask my parents about going to the "Big Apple" my father gave them all the same advice:

Pack 2 suitcases: 1 for clothes & 1 for money. You are going to be shocked at NY prices.

You are going to want to & should do some of the famous restaurants but check out some local places too. Maybe watch $40 a Day to get reasonably priced ideas. Ask the concierge at your hotel.

Pack sturdy walking shoes, not sneakers. Real NY'ers rarely wear sneakers in public & you will be labled a tourist. NY'ers don't wear a lot of shorts either. Your DH must bring a jacket.

Check out the NY Chamber of Commerce web site. Check out city websites, like sidewalk.com. TripAdvisor may also be helpful. Start buying the Sunday NY Times. I promise they sell it where you live. :)

Spend the money & go to a braodway show. Off-broadway is hit or miss. Don't you want to be able to go home & brag to everyone that you saw _________ ?

Enjoy your trip.

Not a New Yorker but we like to go there often. I found trip advisor helpful http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60763-Activities-New_York_City_New_York.html The list of attractions with links was great. I agree with the person that said Top of the Rock was great and you can get coupons for $5 off pp right beside the ticket booth. We went to The Lion King, it was great! Not just for kids. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a must see as well as a stroll through Central Park. Enjoy your trip.:)

Agree to skip Tavern On The Green. Food is horrible and it is overpriced. A little trivia about TOTG, the giant topiaries outside are PLASTIC!

A great midtown hotel in a quiet location is The Michelangelo. Fabulous.

Make sure you go to the rooftop terrace at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Incredible views of Central Park and the city.

When are you going to be in New York?

One of my absolute favorite things is the Museum Mile Festival http://www.museummilefestival.org/ . This year it is Tuesday June 12th and from 6PM to 9PM Fifth Avenue is shut down for vendors and such and all the museums are free!

Another is Midsummer Night Swing http://manhattan.about.com/od/artsandculture/a/midsummerswing.htm at Lincoln Center. Learn how to do a new dance and then get ready to swing!

Also, one of the best is Shakespear In The Park http://www.publictheater.org/ . You can see some of the best actors on the planet for FREE! Get in line early.

I hope you dont mind me "hijacking" this thread but I had a few questions and possibly the OP can get some benefit from other responses.

I am going to be in Manhattan for 2 days (weekend) in June with wife and 2 kids. We are staying in midtown area hotel. We as a family have been there once before. I'd really love this time to not do as much touristy stuff and just see and live in the city for a few days. I'd like my kids to see the different neighborhoods like Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Little Italy etc. I'd like to just grab a bagel or slice of pizza on the street somewhere for our meals. What I am thinking of doing is starting downtown and walkign uptown to Times Square (too aggressive??). This way we'd see a lot of the neighborhoods that I referenced. So my question is, does anyone have thoughts on what path to take? through ie safe streets and neighborhoods, to get the feel that I am looking for? While you are at it feel free to recommend casual eating spots along the way for anything from pizza, to chinese, to a knish or ice cream. I am thinking of doing the Staten Island ferry back and forth from battery park and then from there walk up to Midtown from Battery Park. What path should I take to see Wall St., Chinatown, Little Italy, Greenwich Village. Maybe just walk straight up Broadway?? Thanks.

Walking straight up Broadway you miss a lot. I would start with the Staten Island ferry, walk cross town and uptown. You might not be able to do it all in one day. Chinatown and Little Italy as well as downtown can definitely be done in one day after the ferry, probably SOHO and Tribeca as well. If you go non-stop through the evening then Greenwich Village as well. Remember, you want to explore, not rush through. Greenwich Village and the West Village are close. The East Village and the Lower East Side are close and they are close to Chinatown too.

Ok, let's start again. After the ferry I would do Wall Street, Little Italy and Chinatown, the Lower East Side and the East Village. If time permits then go cross town from the East Village through Greenwich Village and end up in the West Village. That would be the easiest place for you to get back to your hotel. Of course after the Wall Street area you can keep going West and end up in Tribeca and Battery Park, see Ground Zero, etc... The West Side downtown area can be done the next day to include BPC, Tribeca, make your way all the way uptown along the Hudson River. There are many many things to see there. I don't know how much I am helping you here.

As for safe areas, pretty much all downtown areas are safe now, especially during the day.

There are so many places to grab food, you can't go wrong there.

One more thing, when in June will you be in New York? You might find a street festival going on.

Ya'll are wonderful!! I knew that I could count on the folks from Cruise Critic to come through!:) Thanks again for all the replies.

Trish1c: Where did you live in Tn? I was born and raised in Nashville? Left there ten years ago, but all my family is still there. It's always wonderful to go home and visit, especially to see those Grandbabies!

Dh will be bringing a coat and tie for dinner, he wouldn't think of having it any other way. I plan on a couple of dresses for evening, actually just bought a beautiful new dress for that!:) Plan on a couple pairs of heels to match for evenings out, but now I have to find out about some walking shoes. Problem--don't want to stand out like a tourist--usually wear athletic shoes alot here, due to breaking both my feet, my left ankle and my right knee in the last three years!:D Yes, if there is a hole to land in I will find it!:D

Checked on a couple of plays last night. we are not into musicals, and I really want to pick something that will interest Drew. Thought about the Frost/Nixon since he served under his Administration. I think he will enjoy that. There is also another one, can't remember the name, but I think it takes places during World War 1. He would enjoy that also.

A wonderful idea to pick up the NY times, hadn't thought of that, I will pick one up this week.

Blue Herons: We will be there the second week of July. Had previously booked for the 4th of July, but we figured it would just be so packed everywhere, that we rebooked our reservations for the following week.

Cruise Leprechaun: Welcome to jump right in! Hope you and your family have a wonderful trip!

I can honestly say, I am gettng on overload, just like with crusiing! But the anticipation is part of the fun of most things in life! Thanks again everyone.

Drew's Wife - believe it or not, New York City is not terribly packed during 4th of July week. The summer is not a typically crowded time since many New Yorkers get away for the summer.

Look up

http://www.theatermania.com

http://www.playbill.com

http://www.broadwaybox.com

These list all the shows playing in New York.

wear your sneakers. Nobody cares that you are a tourist :) New Yorkers love tourists.

for the guy who wants to know if he can walk from the staten island ferry up to midtown with 2 kids - good luck ;)

it's too far to walk. take a cab, take a tourist bus, take a subway. plan on using mass transportation to get to the areas you want to go to and walk around them. the city is more enjoyable that way.

I'd really love this time to not do as much touristy stuff and just see and live in the city for a few days. I'd like my kids to see the different neighborhoods like Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Little Italy etc. I'd like to just grab a bagel or slice of pizza on the street somewhere for our meals.

Your ideas are all good. Another favorite of mine. Avenue of the Americas just north of Bleecker (Greenwich Village), there is a basketball court (right in front of the McDonalds). The guys playing streetball are FANTASTIC. I could sit and watch for hours and I'm not really a big basketball fan. Real in earnest play usually starts about 4:30PM.

They have filmed the show "Streetball" on those very courts two or three times. Lots of really famous NBA players have played streetball on those courts-Earl the Pearl Monroe, Connie Hawkins, Dr. J. and the most famous of all who never made it to the NBA-Earl the Goat Manigault.

And diagonally across the street (west side of Ave of Americas) is great pizza. Maybe not the best in NYC, but darn good pizza. And if you see a big semi parked on the west side of Avenue of the Americas, go up and say hi to my driver. Your kids might enjoy a tour of a over the road semi. It is our favorite place to park where no one bothers when we pick up freight in Manhattan.

another must do is the circle line boat tour. it is a hokey boat tour that goes all around new york. takes a few hours. go on a really sunny day and sit outside (assuming you like the sun) you will get very close to the statue of liberty and all things manhattan.:)

enjoy!!!!!

I also highly recommend the boat ride, but our favorite time is just before sunset. In fact, it's probably called the sunset cruise. You'll get to see the skyline in both day and lit up.

The Tavern On The Green' date=' have heard of that before. quote']

We think the Tavern on the Green is highly over-rated. The service is good, not excellent. The food is good, not excellent. Expensive. It's a nice setting, but not worth it to us.

toys r us is trs, yes the city one is bigger, but they still carry the same crap you can buy at home.

If the kids were a little older, I'd recommend it because they'd like playing with all the stuff that is out on display, riding the ferris wheel, etc., but a three-year-old may very well just get so overwhelmed with all the noises, sights, people, and choices. You'll have to judge based on that child's personality. I wouldn't have done it with my two girls when they were that age.

cruise lep......where do you live? is this your 1st time in new york? when traveling up 6th ave from the village there is a BALDUCCIS gourmet shop. very famous has been in many movies and on many t.v. shows.

in my opinion....the west side of manhattan is more interesting than the east. 5th ave divides east and west. east of 5th is very residential.

how old are your kids? the museum of natural history is awesome (especially if you have a rainy day g_d forbid!!!:D )

Archived